Chapter 7

False Pretense

Still spazzing over JeTi's comeback! I fell in love with Jessica's Love Me The Same and Tiffany's Once In A Lifetime. Anyway....

 

Here you go.... ^^

 

 

 

 

 

Three women are seen inside a conference rom. One distressed looking dark haired lady is pacing back and forth, mad and panicking. A brunette is silently sitting on a chair, her head resting on her chin seemingly very calm and looking straight ahead. And finally, a dark skinned woman looking worriedly at the two former ladies with lines visible on her forehead.

Luckily for Jessica, the Japanese investors liked the little stunt she did on the proposal and gave her three more months to present her revisions.

“Would you please stay still? There are enough chairs in this room for you to sit. You’re making me dizzy.” Jessica finally speaks up. She took off her eyeglasses and was pinching the bridge of her nose.    

The dark haired woman stopped walking around and faced Jessica.

“This is not a relaxing matter, Jessica. This is a twisted mess!” Tiffany pointed a finger to brunette. “Your mess! And you dragged me with you!”

“Hey, it’s not like I like you to be my wife in the first place. I only did that just to get the project.”

“You are so selfish!” Tiffany was now raising her voice.

Jessica stood up, sudden anger grew in her system.

“Oh, so you think I’m selfish? Remember what you did eight years ago? Now that was selfish!”

“I already apologized! What more can you ask for?! That was a long time ago, Jessica. Haven’t you moved on yet?”  

Yuri stood in between the two raging hotheads and tried to settle them down.

“Why don’t you guys just chill for a bit, yeah? Try to talk in a little less loud voice and deal this like how mature people do it.”

Yuri raised both of her arms as she tried to smile, trying her hardest to ease the tension between the two. To Yuri’s relief, they both calmed down. Tiffany huffed in anger while Jessica looked away and sat back on her chair.

It was Jessica who spoke up first.

“Listen, I will save your company if you help me out.”

“Really?” Tiffany asked in disbelief. Her annoyance slightly going away and was then replaced by a fluttering feeling of hope.

“Sure. If we get married, I’ll get your company back.” Jessica explained. “I will even wipe out all of your debts.”

This is too good to be true for Tiffany. She can’t miss a wonderful opportunity like this. Of course she knew Jessica is powerful enough to do that. Even if she loathes the existence of Jessica Jung and even if she hates the absurdity of the situation, Tiffany can’t say no to this offer. If she helps Jessica out, she will have her company back and she wouldn’t lay off her employees. It’s a win-win situation for the two of them.

Tiffany has finally decided on what to do. She was going to say yes to Jessica’s offer but of course she wouldn’t give in to her that easily. Tiffany pursed her lips and pretended to think.

“Stop pretending like you’re thinking things through. We both know you’re eventually gonna say yes.”

“Damn you. I wasn’t pretending.” Tiffany lied.

Jessica just rolled her eyes and looked at Yuri. “Call Mister Chen and his bank manager, they’ll know how to fix this.”

The secretary nodded and was about to leave the room when Tiffany shouted. “But I didn’t even agree to anything yet!”

Yuri looked at Tiffany and then to her boss. The latter placed her fingers on her temples and gently massaged them.

“Just get them done, Yuri.” Jessica commanded.

“You are impossible!” Tiffany then left the room.

“Don’t forget to leave the takeout ‘coz I’m starving!” Jessica shouted.

Yuri approached her boss reluctantly.

“Uhm, should I call her back here?” Yuri asked.

“No. Just let her be. I think the whole situation overwhelmed her a bit.”

“A bit? A BIT?! Jessica Jung, you are about to get married! This is a very serious matter, man!” The secretary shouted. She still can’t believe her boss is engaged.

Jessica was shocked to get that expression from her secretary. She knew Yuri can be really loud at times and she dismisses it off immediately but this time, she got actually scared.

Yuri calmed down and breathed heavily as she looked straight to her boss.

“I mean…I get to be the best woman, right?” The dark skinned woman asked with wide round eyes.

Jessica didn’t answer Yuri. Instead, she picked up the nearest thing within her reach and threw it on Yuri’s face. Luckily it was just a pencil.   

 

----

 

She took long strides as she walked away from Jessica’s building. With all the events that happened just recently, she wished she could walk away from Jessica’s life too. Tiffany saw a garbage bin just on the corner of the street and immediately threw the takeout lunch. She fished her phone out of her purse and dialled her best friend’s number.

“Sooyoung, help me!” Tiffany desperately asked her best friend.

“What have you gotten yourself into this time, Fany-ah?”

“I’m getting married.”

“Wow. So you got back with Taeyeon? When is the big day? And why don’t you sound so happy?” Sooyoung asked worriedly.

“Not with Taeyeon.” Tiffany held on to her phone tightly.

“What?! If it’s not her, then who is it?” Sooyoung shouted on the other line.

Tiffany distanced her ears away from her phone at Sooyung’s remark. It was after a few seconds before she finally answered in a low voice.

 “I’m getting married to Jessica.”

“WHAT?!”

“Dude, stop shouting! You’re damaging my ears!”

“What the hell, Tiffany? Is this a late April fool’s joke? Drop it now ‘coz I’m not buying it.”

“It’s true! Come back soon please. I need you to talk some sense into me.” Tiffany said desperately.

“I’ll be back soon. You have a lot of explaining to do. Seriously, woman! You’re always calling me when you’re in deep trouble.”

Sooyoung ended the call and Tiffany groaned. Today was going to be the start of long days and sleepless nights.

 

----

 

The following morning, the lobby was packed. It was filled with nosy journalists and reporters with their cameras and recording devices. Some were scribbling a few stuff on their notepads and others were preparing as they were waiting for a particular someone to arrive. Few minutes later, a car stopped outside the building and an oblivious Tiffany came out of it.

“She’s here!” one reporter excitedly shouted.

All of them rushed to the entrance, hoping to catch a glimpse and interview the soon-to-be married businesswoman. They were flocking on Tiffany and a lot of questions were instantly thrown out on her.

“Excuse me, Miss Hwang. How long have you been together with Jessica Jung?”

“Miss Tiffany, is this marriage an attempt to save your company from bankruptcy?”

“Is it true that you are going to marry Edges’ CEO, Jessica Jung?”

“Are you really in love with Miss Jessica?”

Tiffany felt trapped and panic was starting to consume her. She was desperately trying to push through the crowd, not minding the questions and awkwardly smiling at the reporters. In an attempt to get away, she lost her balance and almost fell face down to the floor. Luckily, strong arms caught her and guided her back to her feet. They were soft and gentle hands and she felt a familiar tingling sensation deep inside her. She had a hunch as to who the stranger was.

There was an audible “aww” from the bunch of reporters. Tiffany looked up to the person who caught her and instantly felt relieved. She was right. It was Jessica, her fiancé. Though she still need a lot of getting used to calling her that.

Jessica grabbed Tiffany firmly by the shoulder and looked at her with such concern and almost teary eyes.

“Are you okay? Does it hurt somewhere?” Jessica asked.

Tiffany was out of words. She didn’t expect Jessica, the cold blooded life- to worry like that. Tiffany’s heart almost melts at the sight but then she remembers that they were just acting and an audience was right in front of them. Jessica’s act was so convincing that Tiffany almost believed her.

The dark haired woman gave her cutest eye smile and unleashed it on Jessica. She knew she had to level up her game. She had to keep up with Jessica’s supreme acting skills.

“I’m fine, babe. You always worry too much.” Tiffany replied as she lovingly tucked a few loose hair strands on Jessica’s ear.

Jessica shivered a little at Tiffany’s unforeseen gesture. She was hoping the slight shiver didn’t give her away and that it wasn’t too obvious to the reporters. Clearly, she wasn’t expecting Tiffany to be this competitive.

They both smiled at each other, not knowing what else to do. It was quite awkward but the reporters were snapping photos anyway, oblivious of the act in front of them.

Just as when the reporters started asking questions once again, Tiffany took hold of Jessica’s hand and motioned for them to go away but Jessica didn’t budge. Instead, she held Tiffany’s hand tighter and faced the reporters.

“Listen up everyone. Tiffany and I are getting married. Whatever reasons you guys might think are wrong. We decided to get married because we love each other.”

Jessica looked at Tiffany while continuing her words.

“I cannot imagine living a life without her. I don’t care if a lot of people are against this kind of relationship. All that matters is that my heart knows what it needs and it needs Tiffany.”

And with that, the crowd went wild. Camera flashes were everywhere and blinding them. Relentless questions kept on coming.

Jessica led Tiffany away from the crowd of reporters, still holding each other’s hands. All along, Tiffany’s heart was beating fast and wild. At first she thought it was due to panic but her heart wasn’t this uncooperative when she entered the building. It started beating so fast after Jessica’s stunt with the reporters. 

 

----

 

Jessica opened the door to her office and Tiffany followed behind.

“You can let go of my hand now.” Jessica told Tiffany as she eyed their entwined hands together.

Tiffany instantly freed her fiancé’s hand. She saw Jessica’s slightly disgusted face as the latter took out her handkerchief and began wiping her palms.

“Sorry, you know how much my hands sweat when I’m nervous.” Tiffany apologized quite sheepishly.

“After all these years.” Jessica said in disbelief.

“Well, old habits die hard.”

“I don’t think it’s still considered a habit. I think it’s a disease.”

“It doesn’t matter if it’s a habit or a disease. Who asked you to hold my hand in the first place?” Tiffany’s voice went a little higher this time.

Jessica sighed.

“Tiffany, we’re supposed to be a couple, remember? Couples hold hands like it’s an everyday thing.”

“But you have to at least warn me or something.” Tiffany huffed.

“Don’t  worry. It’s not that I want to hold your sweaty palms anyway” Jessica whispered.

Tiffany looked at her. “What was that?”

“Nothing.” The brunette smiled to distract Tiffany.

True enough, Tiffany got distracted alright. It was unusual to see Jessica flaunting her pearl white teeth like that.

“Why are you showing me your teeth?”

Tiffany scrunched her eyebrows and asked confusedly. She was oblivious of the smile her fiancé is showing her.

“I’m smiling, you fool.”

And with that remark, Tiffany laughed so hard until tears fell down her cheeks. She then clutched her stomach because it was starting to hurt.

Jessica frowned. “Stop that. You sound like a hyena having an asthma attack. You’re creeping me out.”

“YOU are creeping me out. What kind of smile was that? A robot’s?”

Tiffany started laughing once again. This time, Jessica didn’t stop her.

Suddenly the door flew wide open and Yuri stepped inside.

“Uh, am I interrupting something? I can go back—“

“No, Yul. Nothing’s really going on here. What is it?” Jessica spoke up.

Her secretary eyed the scene suspiciously but brushed her suspicions immediately. She continued talking to Jessica.

‘I’m receiving a lot of calls, e-mails and messages from reporters and they’re killing me. Not to mention some of them are camping out outside the building. What do you want me to do with them?”

Jessica thought for a while before answering her secretary.

“Let’s give them what they want. Organize a press conference.”

The secretary nodded. “Of course.”

“And call Sunny for me please. I still haven’t talked to her about this.”

“Already did. She’s coming in a few. Prepare your pretty for a lot of spanking.” Yuri smirked.

The CEO suddenly looked worried making Tiffany snort. It was always a rare sight seeing a different emotion on Jessica’s face. She knew Sunny Lee way back in college and she knows how that short girl could be really scary sometimes. She even witnessed it first hand when that unfateful day happened.

Yuri suddenly remembered Tiffany’s presence and called out to her.

“Oh, and Miss Hwang, a gorgeous woman named Choi Sooyoung was looking for you. I took her to the conference room ‘coz the reporters are making too much noise.”

“Thank you. And please just call me Tiffany. Sorry we weren’t formally met.”

“Blame it to that grumpy lady over there.”

Yuri pointed a finger to Jessica and approached Tiffany. She leaned a little bit closer to Tiffany’s ear and whispered.

“She was never the polite one.”

The dark haired woman smiled and whispered back.

“I know.”

“Way to be really discreet guys. I can hear you loud and clear.” Jessica said annoyingly.

Yuri smiled back to Tiffany and offered her hand as she introduced herself.

“The name is Kwon Yuri. Jessica’s one and only gorgeous secretary and best friend…at times. I’m sorry you’re marrying that idiot.”

Tiffany giggled as she took the latter’s hand and shook it gently.

“I’m Tiffany Hwang. Nice to meet you. Yuri.” She happily smiled at Yuri and then looked back to Jessica.

“I’ll be right back.”

And with that, Tiffany left the room. The brunette felt uneasy seeing Tiffany‘s retreating form. She thought she got used to seeing the dark haired girl leave, but she was wrong.

Just then, Yuri slowly approached her boss with a mischievous smile on her face.

“So…is it just me or was the mood quite light and cheery when I came in?”

“It’s just you.” Jessica replied with no hesitation and with pure seriousness.

Yuri’s smile dropped at her boss’ remark.

“Anyway, I heard your little love speech back there with the reporters. It was pretty convincing. I was so touched!”

“Shut up, Yul.”

“I didn’t know you had that ‘soul’ in you.”

“You flatter me too much. It was all just an act.”

Yuri faced Jessica with a knowing look. It was as if the latter knows something that her boss obviously doesn’t.

“Whatever you say, boss.” Yuri winked.

Just as when Jessica was about to retaliate about how her best friend looked annoyingly ugly with that wink, the door suddenly flew wide open…again. This time, an angry looking short woman with blonde hair stomped in. She closed the door with a bang and threw her purse on the nearest chair.

“Jessica Jung, you idiot!” The new girl shouted.

Jessica’s eyes grew wide in shock and fear. She slowly distanced herself away from the raging woman.

“Wait, Sunny! I can explain?” Jessica smiled awkwardly, hoping to earn Sunny’s heart. Though she was pretty sure that smile made the short woman even angrier.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re getting married? And to Tiffany Hwang of all people?!” Sunny was frantic.

The brunette fell silent. She knew she had to filter her words and rationalize her responses or else Sunny will never forgive her.

“We aren’t really going to marry each other. We’re just using each other for our personal gain.” Jessica explained slowly with a low voice.

Sunny approached her best friend, held Jessica’s shoulders and shook them violently.

“That’s even worse! What were you thinking?!”

“To be honest, I wasn’t thinking at all. I know I’m stupid so please stop shaking me ‘coz I’m starting to get dizzy!”

The shaking stopped and Jessica was fixing herself. Her other best friend Sunny was looking at her, now with worry on her eyes.

“What if you get hurt again, Sica-yah? I don’t want to see you break down again.”

Jessica sighed. She was glad Sunny was there for her all the time. She doesn’t want people to worry about her so much.

“Don’t worry. I promise not to do the same mistake again. I won’t make you worry this time so please trust me on this.” Jessica explained. “And besides, if anything bad happens to me, I have you guys to back me up.”

“My presence comes with a high price.” Yuri tells Jessica.

“Shut up. I sign your pay check.” Jessica snapped at Yuri.

Sunny laughed and hugged the brunette. Yuri immediately followed after. The two of them were smiling except for Jessica who was just standing there enjoying the warmth and comfort from her two best friends. 

“But please, learn how to knock for goodness’ sake. You both might destroy my door if you suddenly barge in like that.” Jessica reprimands both of them playfully.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How was it? :)

I love reading your comments, so please keep them coming.