Chapter 1

False Pretense

I would like to thank all of you who even bothered reading and subscribing to my story. You don"t know how much I appreciate it. Here's the first chapter. Enjoy! :)

 

 

 

 

“So, how was your flight?” Sunny asked as she eyed Jessica from the corner of her eyes.

Jessica was pressing her finger deeply on her temples. “My head hurts, my back is aching and some kid puked on my shoes.”

Sunny made a snort and stopped on an instant as she felt Jessica glaring at her through her heavily tinted sunnies.

“You know you could’ve just taken your private jet with you to lessen all the trouble.”

Sunny was greeted with a silence from Jessica.

 “You didn’t think of that, did you?”

Again, another silence from the grumpy brunette.

Sunny sighed, “You still haven’t changed, Sica.” She was about to laugh when Jessica cut her off.

"I have changed. And you know that.”

Sunny kept shut and knew exactly what Jessica was talking about. After all, they were best buddies since college. They knew each other like the back of their hands.

The air was getting awkward and she had to divert the topic somehow. She cleared and asked, “Hey, Sica, you coming to that reunion?”

Sunny was curious about Jessica’s answer. She waited for a while before looking at the rear-view mirror and she saw a sleeping Jessica. Of course she knew Jessica was just faking it but she didn’t say a thing and focused her eyes on the road instead. The brunette must be really tired and Sunny decided to let her be.

“I worry about you sometimes, Sica.” She sighed.

The drive was silent if it weren’t for the jazz music on the radio.

 

----

 

“Hey, have you heard about that college reunion next week? Are you coming?”

A dark haired girl was busily fixing all the stacks of papers on her desk. She looked up at the slender woman in front of her.

“No, Sooyoung. I’m too busy dealing with all this to attend to some party.” She tucked the lose hairs on her right ear and fixed her eyeglasses. “I have so much work to do.”

“But you gotta cut yourself some slack, Fany-ah. You’ve been working nonstop. You even brought over half of your apartment in your office!” Sooyoung pointed at all the clothes, futons and pillows in the corner of the room.

Tiffany sighed. She was obviously tired, manifested by the dark circles under her eyes and some lines on her forehead. “Please just let me do this. I’m trying my hardest to save my company. I can’t disappoint my employees.”

Sooyoung couldn’t help but feel bad about her best friend. It wasn’t Tiffany’s fault that her own company went rock bottom. It was that lying bastard who was her business partner who took off with all her money and left Tiffany with nothing but debt.

“Does Taeyeon approve of you staying here?”

Tiffany sat down on her office chair and placed her head on her palms. “Yes.”

Sooyoung let out a scoff. “I bet she only said yes so she can bring girls over to your apartment.”

“She loves me, Sooyoung. She won’t do that.” Tiffany lowered her head and sounded so dejected.

“Are you trying to convince me or yourself?” Sooyoung looked expectantly at Tiffany. She was greeted by silence before she cleared .

“Anyway, I heard she’s back.”

Tiffany looked up at Sooyoung, eyes wide with shock.

“And I think she’s coming to the party.”