002

Terminal Daydream

 

RyeoWook… Had some reservations about the concept for the music video.

 

He feels good about the song, it may even be some of the best work he’s done in a long time and he agrees that it would definitely fit with the storyline…

 

And it’s a good cause and he’d be proud to be standing on the right side of the issue…

 

But he’s always been a more reserved person, more cautious.

 

Despite having been in the industry since he was thirteen-years old, he’s managed to keep his personal life pretty private.

 

He’d rushed a bit when he was younger, curving to the pressure and putting out something new every couple of months, trying to stay relevant, but he’s older now, wiser.

 

By the time he was sixteen, he’d figured out the game and realised that he didn’t want to play.

 

He loved music, he loved it with every fibre of his being and it was not–

 

It wasn’t just a product he was selling. He wanted to be honest with his music.

 

So, he quit.

 

He walked away, went to college, lived a normal life for once and took the time to get his head together.

 

And then when he was ready, completely sure of who he was and what he wanted, he went back.

 

He put together an album and sent it to every record company he’d ever heard of, big or small, and begged for the chance to get back out there. But he didn’t settle for any less than he deserved.

 

He demanded his freedom and the right to make his own choices about his future and the direction of his career.

 

He ended up signing to a lesser known label with a good reputation and a lot of strong artists and friendly staffs. He was happy.

 

And he’d done really well for himself, enough to put his label on the map and he was well respected and had a lot of really good friends in the industry and a body of work that he could be proud of.

 

He was happy, really happy…

 

And taking on a social issue on this scale just seemed so intimidating.

 

He was no stranger to public criticisms and anti-fans, but this would be stepping into a whole new arena.

 

His label was ready to back him up and his family and friends (for the most part) were being very understanding, but the kind of backlash he’d be opening himself and anyone associated with him up to…

 

In the end it’s HeeChul who convinces him.

 

HeeChul, for once completely sombre, with heavy shoulders and teary eyes asks him to do it.

 

He says:

 

“I can’t ask you to do something that you can’t do, but you know how many people have opened up to me, written letters full of desperation and tragedy and torment, telling me that they aren’t sure if they even want to live anymore. If people like us stand up for them, if we go out there in public, unashamed and tell them that their love is beautiful–

 

That it is not and will never be something sick or wrong or disgusting, it would mean so much to them. You know what it’s like out there, you have just as many queer friends as I do. I won’t force you to do this and I won’t blame you if you can’t, but I really think you should.”

 

That pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for RyeoWook.

 

Because he does know, he does understand and he’s been subject to his fair share of rumours and the hate that people spit, anonymous and unaccountable, sickens him.

 

So, yes, although he is terrified, yes of course he’ll do it.

 

He’s just ting himself a little in fear of the consequences.

 

But he has to do this, and anti-fans are unavoidable, so he resolves to do it and enjoy it and hold his head up high through all of it.

 

He might be tiny, but that does not mean he’s weak.