003

Terminal Daydream

 

The pitching, as always, is left to LeeTeuk, the executive producer and supreme overlord of getting done.

 

“The concept for the music video is fairly simple.” He explains.

 

“It’s basically just a modern CinderElla.” He says.

 

“A very, very modern CinderElla.” With extra emphasis on the modern and this is where people start raising eyebrows.

 

“It starts with… Your classic unrequited love.

 

One person, hair and glasses covering their eyes, forever lowering their head and rarely speaking, and then, when they do speak of course, it’s so quiet that most people don’t even hear it, just ignore them and shuffle along, you know?” As he waits for everyone to nod before carrying on.

 

“Okay, and so that person, Person A, is in love with another person, Person B. Got it? And Person B is like…

 

A bit of a lone wolf, a commitment phobe who sleeps around and doesn’t let anyone get too close, right? And then let’s also say that Person B is kind of conservative, but we’ll talk about why that matters later.” Clearing his throat and literally shoving the conversation along with his hands.

 

“Anyways, Person A is way too shy to confess, right? So Person A comes up with this plan to put on a costume and confess to Person B at this, like, costume or Halloween ball or something, yeah?

 

So Person A gets all dressed up: takes off the glasses, moves the hair out of their face a little, wears a disguise, walks with their shoulders straight, the whole-nine-yards, ‘kay? And they write a letter to Person B asking to meet them there so they can talk and Person B, luckily, agrees. You still with me, here?” Pausing again to make sure they’re still following and then smiling when he’s sure they are.

 

“Great. So they meet up and Person A confesses to Person B and says: ‘I know you don’t do relationships and stuff, but can we just pretend for a night? Just until midnight?’ And again, Person B agrees and they talk and they dance and then–

 

Just as the clock is about to strike twelve–

 

They kiss.”

 

“Just one kiss and then Person A says thank you and runs off. Got it? But that’s not the end.”

 

“Afterwards, like the day after or something, Person A and Person B pass each other in the hall or on the way to class or something and Person A just scurries by without looking up, as always, except.”

 

“Except this time we see Person B stop and look back and watch Person A walk away and then mouth: ‘you’re welcome.’ And we realise that Person B knew about Person A the whole time. Right? You get it? It’s good, right?” And Teuk grins as everyone nods and agrees that, yeah, sure, it’s as good a story as any, until…

 

Until someone has the wherewithal to ask:

 

“But, wait? Why is that very, very modern, emphasis on modern?” And Teuk bites his lip with a grimace and says:

 

“Weeeeellllll… Because Person A and Person B are both guys and Person A dresses up as a girl and Person B is slightly suffering from internalized homophobia. You know? Like totally relatable, right? Huh? Right? Hey?” LeeTeuk grimaces again as a sort of uncomfortable silence creeps through the room.

 

“Okay listen, so I get that it might be kind of controversial subject matter, but like, times are changing, People. Society is becoming much more accepting of this kind of thing and, honestly, Person A is dressed up as a girl the whole time that they’re being all lovey-dovey with Person B so, it’s not even like that gay, right? So it’s fine, right? I mean come on, what better way to get people talking and tuning in and boosting ratings than by creating a bit of a scandal, right? And if you want, you can always just laugh it off as nothing more than a silly music video, right? Come on, what’d'ya say, huh?” He does a pretty fair job of convincing them, but he can see that they’re still a bit reluctant, so he brings out the big guns.

 

“And we’ll cover any damages that you or your affiliates suffer as a result. Okay? Don’t you wanna be ahead of the curve for once, instead of always getting smoked by the competition? Think of the ratings. Think of the tweets.” As if by magic, somehow all the shmoozing actually works and he gets them to sign off on it.

 

Every single time.

 

It’s almost scary how manipulative Teuk can be when he wants to be.

 

But, then, he didn't become the youngest CEO of his own independent production company just by wishing for it.