Chapter 03

Skipping Class

After spending some time in Tous Les Jours, the two clear their trash and exit the building. The fall air is crisp at night. Woohyun can feel the wind surge through him as they step out. He presses his chilled fingers to his face and the tingling feeling in his knuckles quickly rushes to his chest.

He can’t really explain the uncomfortable feeling forming but he know’s it has something to do with Kim Sunggyu.

“Woohyun?”

He stopped in front of him, bent over slightly to look him directly in the eye.

“Is something wrong? You look a little red.” Sunggyu removes a hand from his pocket and presses the base of his palm under Woohyun’s hair and onto his forehead. His hands are soft. Woohyun can feel himself blushing again.

“I am feeling a bit unwell.”

Sunggyu frowns as he drops his hands from his face.

“We better hurry and get you inside then.”

 

Woohyun climbs the stairs to his porch and waves goodbye with the slight raise of his hand.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Woohyun.”

Woohyun thinks about saying something back but before he can muster up anything to say Sunggyu’s already walking away.

Woohyun puts off going inside for a moment, as he tries to collect his thoughts. Miss Kim is collecting her coat as he enters the house. She shuffles over to him at the door and whispers in his ear.

“Your father is quite angry again tonight.”

 

Woohyun doesn’t even have to ask, He can see. Across the dining room along were arrays of broken plates and crystal glasses. A red liquid had spilled sporadically across the kitchen counter, dripping rhythmically onto the tile floor. There was no better reason for him to go straight to his—

“Nam Woohyun don’t you think it’s a little late for you to be only now coming home?”

“I was meeting with a teacher.”

Woohyun tries walking past his father but he’s yanked him back by the collar of his shirt and thrown onto the floor amongst the broken crystal. He hits the wall first with his shoulder and then the side of his head. As he shifts his weight he feels a shard of glass lodge in his palm. The maid quivers in her place.

“Don’t you dare walk away from me when I’m talking to you.”

Woohyun cries out in pain as the impact makes his head feel like it's on fire. His vision blurs and soon the last fleeting image of his father disappears along with his consciousness.

 

When Woohyun wakes again, he’s in his room with the lights off. A sharp pain in his neck holds him down. It all feels so heavy as he staggers out of bed.

 

It all dawns on him when the dried blood wrapped around his hand comes into sight. The rash-like bruise on his back spreads from the base of his neck to somewhere below his shoulder blade almost with a certain allure as the shades of purple and blue blend together somewhere in the middle.

He feels relieved when his uniform covers most of the bruised area. There isn’t much to do with the parts that peek just above his collar but he hopes no one will notice. He unwraps his hand in the bathroom. The cut isn't too deep but was still fresh. He rinses it, picks out any remaining fragments he can find and secures it well enough to last the day. The pain stiffens him, but he continues on with his normal routine. This morning he rushes out of the house sooner than usual.

“On time today, Mr. Nam?” The PE teacher manning the gate taps a yardstick to the heel of his sneaker. Most days Woohyun would find himself in a position of punishment for being late by said teacher, but today he gives Woohyun a nod of the head as he passes.
Having settled into his seat Woohyun watches the door. A few minutes pass and Kim Sunggyu finally enters behind a crowd of students rushing to class. He glances Woohyun’s way as he sets his bag down in a chair. His eyes look heavy and he keeps yawning. It makes Woohyun wonder if he sleeps much, or too much? After a while the entire thought of Kim Sunggyu consumes him.

“Nam Woohyun?”

He turns away from the window and his thoughts to find a series of stares on him.

“Yes?”

“Make sure you turn the class reports into the office after class.”

“Ah, yes…”

 

The teacher concludes class and everyone tosses their sheets at him. He waits a moment before he begins to collect his things and straighten out the files.

“Need any help?”

Kim Sunggyu creeps from behind Woohyun, craning his head over his shoulder.

“I’m fine, thanks.”

As Woohyun continues to adjust the papers Sunggyu notices the bandage on Woohyun’s hand. The cut had reopened and the blood had begun to seep through.

“Hey, what’s wrong with your hand?”

When Woohyun avoids answering Sunggyu follows Woohyun out into the hall.

“Just a cut, no biggie.”

“Are you sure? Looks like a deep cut.”

Woohyun takes a pause in his stride to look at Sunggyu. His hair is pushed back today. The stray strands of burgundy hair twist and turn in all sorts of directions. His lips purse out.

“Broken glass, barely remember it. Please, don’t ask anymore.”

 

Sunggyu doesn’t seem satisfied enough with that but he doesn't intend to pry.

“Don’t you have somewhere else to be?”

The two had almost reached the office when Woohyun realizes Sunggyu continued his pursuit.

“Maybe?” he shrugs yawning, and loudly at that.

“Tired?”

He rubs his eyes with the back of his knuckles.

“Yeah a bit, sorry is my yawning bugging you?”

“No,” He tries speaking softer now “I was just concerned.”

“Oh..”

Sunggyu sounds surprised but from the corner of his eye Woohyun could see a hint of a smile form on his face.