Chapter 12

Skipping Class

When Sunggyu woke the next morning he was still in Woohyun’s arms. He groaned loudly saying his head was throbbing and he felt like dying.

        “Woohyun.. Why are you here?”

        “Sungwoo told me you were drunk, I was worried.”

             “Uh… What exactly happened last night? My head is killing me.”

    Sunggyu pushed himself up, rubbing his forehead with the base of his palm. It was too much to keep himself stable as he stood up so he fell back on the bed. Woohyun laid Sunggyu’s head back under his pillow.

        “Just take it easy, let me take care of you for once.”

     Woohyun walked out into the hall, passing Kim Sungwoo watching TV on the sofa. He wore a pleaded terry robe and sipped from a white china mug of what Woohyun assumed was coffee. Sungwoo waved his hand,  his eyes still focused on the show. 

        “There’s hangover stuff in the kitchen, I’m sure you can handle the rest.”

 

    In one of the cabinets Woohyun found a half-empty pack of bottled energy shots. He grabbed two of those and set them aside. Sungwoo had so graciously set aside the ingredients for a hangover soup.

    It’s quite ironic,  being the son of an alcoholic and having zero experience when it comes to this kind of stuff. Woohyun had watched his mother make the soup once when his father was a casual drinker. He knew his adaptation would be far from perfect but it was the least he could do.

    When he had it finished and plated he reproached Sunggyu’s bedroom. He kicked the door with his foot and entered with the tray of food.

    Sunggyu, who had fallen back asleep in the period struggled to sit up. Woohyun placed the tray on Sunggyu’s lap and placed the spoon in his hand.

        “I cant see..” he mumbled, sticking the tip of the spoon past his lips.

    Woohyun rubbed the sleep out of Sunggyu’s eyes with his thumbs.

        “All better?”

    Sunggyu dipped the spoon in the broth and began eating. In the meantime, Woohyun went to shower. When he saw his reflection for the first time in the bathroom mirror and saw how dirty and tattered his clothes were he was disgusted. He saw how his sickly skin was colored with vibrant wounds. He uncovered more bruises on his torso and a small cut on his leg. 

    Any restraint his father had, which was very limited, was all let go last night. The look in his was animalistic and realized that he no longer saw his father in that being. 

     With each drink, with each hit, he was dying right in front of him. and all that was left was a monster.

    Sungwoo offered Woohyun a change of clothes from his own closet and all though it was slightly oversized, he still appreciated his graciousness. Sungwoo even offered to mend Woohyun’s school uniform. Woohyun couldn't begin to express how thankful he was for everything. It was the first time he felt loved and welcomed in years.

    Woohyun returned to Sunggyu’s  room once he had finished washing up. Sunggyu stood in the corner changing into a dress shirt. Woohyun closed the door behind him and sat on the edge of the unmade bed and kicked his heels against the floor.

        “How’s your head?”

        “Better” Sunggyu responded, slipping a jacket over a dress shirt.

        “Are you going to school?” 

Woohyun watches Sunggyu pace around the room, grabbing things. Sunggyu nods.

        “Can’t you just skip class today?” 

        “Why? is something wrong?”

        “No, it’s just…” He rises from the bed and walks to Sunggyu, wrapping his arms around his waist “I just want to stay with you a little longer.”

 

    Sunggyu’s hand brushes against Woohyun cheek as the two share a lingering kiss.

        “I gotta go.”

    Woohyun fell back on Sunggyu’s bed with an exasperated sigh. He covered himself loosely with the sheet and lay on his side with his arms extended out in front of him. His hands hung off the edge of the bed. Today Woohyun didn't feel like doing much, he just wanted to stay like this forever.

    With his mind at ease Woohyun dozed off. He wasn’t sure how long he’d fallen asleep for but the buzz of his cell phone startled him awake. He answered without looking, pressing the phone to his ear with his eyes still closed.

        “Hello?”

        “Woohyun, Your father is here.”

    His eyes shot open and in that instance Woohyun found it hard to breathe. He darted off the bed. Clambering around the room for his things. He yelled for Sungwoo until his throat burned. Sungwoo came running.

        “I need to get to school right now! we need to go!”

    Sungwoo stumbled back in his tracks. He dove for the car keys on the couch. Rushing out the door after Woohyun in his slippers and his robe. He didn't ask any questions seeing the urgency in Woohyun’s eyes.

    Sungwoo drove a noticeably newer and more expensive car compared to Sunggyu. The two slid into the car as quickly as the could. Squirming in his seat, Woohyun tried to fight back his anxiety. He bit into the skin off his thumbs. He was trying to stay calm, to think rationally but in the back of his mind, he knew that if that monster puts his hands on Sunggyu, he would explode.

    When the two arrived there, Woohyun rushed out of the car. Sungwoo shut off the engine but remained in his seat.

        “I’ll wait outside If you need me.” He yelled.

 

    The next few moments were blurry. All Woohyun could remember was running as fast as he could. And when the yelling reached his ears, his feet picked up. He barged into the classroom without hesitancy. Woohyun stood there stood his father, his classmates, and Sunggyu.

    His father had Sunggyu backed into a corner. Sunggyu held his hands up in defense. 

        “Please, we can talk about this. Just calm down Sir.”

    But his father was continued screaming, cursing and spitting at him. Woohyun saw his father raise a fist and Sunggyu shrunk down to the ground. As Woohyun slid open the door, his frightened classmates rushed out behind him.

 

    Sunggyu met Woohyun’s eyes, his pupils shaking. 

        “Woohyun…”

    Woohyun’s father turned to his son. A smile curled across his lips as he approached Woohyun.

        “Well, look who finally decided to show up.”

    The sound of his fists cracking had Woohyun flinching. Everything he was trying to escape from was coming back at record speed.

        “Why are you here?”

    He saw a familiar fear in Sunggyu’s eyes. It was something reflective of his past self. But this time was different, surely. He was going to see to it that no harm would ever come to him. 

    His father’s face was haggard and dark. He huffed as loomed over Woohyun. His arms reached for Woohyun’s collar,  stretching the fabric as he pulled him closer. Woohyun screamed as loud as he could. He felt panicked, pushing his hands against his father’s chest as he tried to escape his grasp. 

    His father dropped Woohyun on the ground. His foot pressing into Woohyun’s sternum. The pressure choked him as Woohyun felt the air leave his chest.  But his father kept pushing, even in noticing the color change in Woohyun’s face.

        “You’re killing him!” 

    Sunggyu pulled the father’s shoulders, releasing some of the pressure off of Woohyun.

        “Stay out of this.”

    The two stood there a moment, conscious of each other’s every move.  Woohyun feared what would happen next but men from security rushed in. One of the students had run there when they caught word. A man restrained Woohyun’s father and despite his anger, he barely tried to fight them on it as he was dragged out.

    Finally being able to breathe again, Woohyun relaxed. Sunggyu bent down to pick Woohyun up, holding him close for support.

        “What’s going to happen to him?” Woohyun asked one of the security men before they all cleared out.

        “We’ll let you know once we’ve processed everything with the authorities but don’t worry, we’ll make sure he won’t come after you again.”

        Woohyun thanked them as the rest of them poured out, leaving him and Sunggyu alone. Woohyun felt the remaining strength in his legs give out but Sunggyu catches him.

        “Everything is going to be okay, I promise.”