Chapter 10

Skipping Class

Woohyun disappeared after lunch began.  He figured he’d have to explain himself in person so he headed home. The door was unlocked and Ms. Kim was in the den cleaning. She seems almost surprised to see Woohyun home in the middle of the day. 

        “I can’t help but worry, you know that.”

        “I know but if I don’t do anything now, I’ll never work up the courage to face him?”

                “Just don’t let him near any alcohol.”

 

If he was sober, he’d have some kind of rationality but these days the odds are rarely in his favor. Woohyun needed time to organize his thoughts before approaching him. In the time he sits in the living room envisioning the outcomes, Sunggyu crosses his mind. Woohyun thinks that he’ll worry or think he’s being rash but if Woohyun really wanted to be an adult so badly, he needed to learn to take care of complications.

Woohyun’s phone buzzed in his pocket. It was his break time and Sunggyu had been trying to reach Woohyun to find out where he’d gone. The notifications popped up on the screen: Missed Call, New Voicemail. Woohyun felt bad ignoring him but he would have explained himself later. But he knew that as soon as school let out, Sunggyu would come looking for him.

 

He paced a thought briefly. Sat there on the base of the main staircase with his head between his knees.He knew that this day wouldn’t blow over smoothly, and he also knew that he may get hurt in the process, but he’s waited too long. He’s sick and tired of being some drunk’s punching bag.

 I, Nam Woohyun, am entitled to a steady peace of mind and happiness. My entire existence in this house has been nothing more than absurd. I didn’t kill anyone, I  had no control over anything. But of course, it was my fault because I lived. You can’t blame the dead, they’re dead. Me on the other hand, just barely making it out with a few  permanent burn scars but hey that makes you a murderer. 

 

Woohyun checks the clock once more. It’s only a matter of minutes until the door screeches open. The large figure lugs himself in the door, dropping a weighted bag at the door as he removed his work shoes.   

 

       “Woohyun, why are you home at this hour?”

 

       “We need to talk.”

 

 

 They reconvene in the den, a room Woohyun hasn’t revisited since he was a kid. His father sits in a large arm chair and crystal glass of rust colored liquid in hand. He sips on the glass, waiting for Woohyun to begin but heart is in his throat.

 

        “Father, I’m done with all this.”

 

        “With what?”

 

       “Your abuse. I have human rights.”

 

       “Abuse? Don’t make me laugh, you live in my house,  remember that boy.”

 

       “I’m no longer a child, you can’t treat me like this!”

 

        “I think I can do whatever I please.”

 

       “When will you stop blaming me for something that happened over ten years ago!?”

 

       “What?”

 

        “Mom, and Boohyun! I didn’t kill them, don’t make me out to be their killer!”

 

  They were both silent for a moment, exchanging glances.

 

        “It’s not my fault that happened! I would have died along with them had I not woken up! Would that have made you feel better? If I had died too? Perhaps it would because you wouldn’t have anyone to blame other than yourself. Let’s be honest, YOU feel responsible but you take out all your self-loath on me because you ing can. But I don’t want to  put up with it anymore, I want to move out.”

 

       “And where do you think you’ll go?” He laughs, as if it’s a joke “ without me and this house you have nothing!”

 

       “What do you care? I’ve finally found someone who loves me more than you ever did. And unlike you, he’ll never hurt me.”

 

        “You’re screwing a guy, HA! What a joke. Who’s the son of a ?”

 

Woohyun steps close to his father and can practically feel his boozy breath hit his face.

 

         “You can call me names, hit me, I can deal with that… but don’t you dare talk about him like that.”

 

With each step, he moves farther in, provoking a response. His father finally stirs in his seat, dropping the glass to the floor. He swings with the bulk of his wings and Woohyun is knocked off his feet. His father’s tipsy blows breaks Woohyun to pieces.

                    —

 

When Woohyun woke up, he couldn’t move. He’d been in this position before. He could feel the dried blood crack as he moved. His school sweater had been torn off his body, pieces of it scattered along the floor. He wasn't sure how badly he’d been hurt but as he tried to push himself up the sharp pain in his arm distracted him. His wrist was swollen, Woohyun had assumed it was broken.

He struggle to get up using one arm but managed. His body ached as he stood up. He feared he would fall as quickly as he stood. His eyes grew dull and his complexion ashen. He  notices how abnormally bent his fingers are, his knuckles bruised. He held them to his face, trying to bring the warmth back to them, to feel something.

Woohyun collects what he can of his things and hauls them out onto the front porch. He drags the bag behind him as he walks, no where to go. His pocket buzzed, the glass screen of his cell phone lights up despite being cracked all over.  Another missed call from Sunggyu.

 

          “I should call him..”

 

The dial tone rung out but no answer. Woohyun tries once more but it still drones out to his voicemail. Instead he starts walking. He doesn’t know where he’s headed but his feet carry him forward. Every so often an unsuspecting pedestrian will stop in their tracks, almost vaguely confused and then continue on. But he no longer cares and ignores all their stares and remarks.

 

 

    “Woohyun!?”

 

At first he doesn’t hear his name being called, he keeps walking along with his vision to the ground. But when the caller stands in his path Woohyun finally comes to his senses. He pans his eyes up and there was Kim Myungsoo grappling onto his shoulders.

 

          “Nam Woohyun, what in the world happened to you!?”

 

It almost slipped his mind the likelihood of running into Myungsoo in the neighborhood. He was out of uniform, wearing a grey petticoat and carried a convenience store bag.

Before explaining Myungsoo walked him back to town and to the pharmacy to buy some ointment and Band-Aids.

          “I really don’t want to trouble you.. you just came from town.”

          “I can do this much for you, don’t complain.”

Myungsoo cleaned the blood off Woohyun’s face and patched up any cuts he could find. He offered me Woohyun his coat saying that “You need it more than I do”.

His hand fell on Woohyun’s cheek briefly after he had finished. His hands were long and rough to the touch but Woohyun could feel his intention. Woohyun returned a weak smile.

          “You’re so fragile Nam Woohyun... I’ve seen you broken so many times.”

Myungsoo’s eyes seemed so sad in that moment.

          “Thank you, Myungsoo. I’m grateful for you.” 

Myungsoo’s hand dropped to the curve of Woohyun’s neck. Woohyun looked at him confused but it all made sense when Myungsoo had finally leaned in, kissing Woohyun softly on the lips.