Chapter 02

Skipping Class

Another bell goes off signaling the start of class. And as Sunggyu made his way down the daylight hit him softly, illuminating his pale skin.

“Come on, I’ll walk you back.”

He pulls himself off the floor and tosses the ball in a corner. When Woohyun opens the door he sees Sunggyu pressed against the wall with one leg crossed over the other and his hand resting on his waist.

“You might want to button that up.” He says, pointing his finger with a cheeky grin.

He looks down, seeing his exposed torso slicked with sweat. He tries to fake a laugh but at the same time, he can’t seem to hide his embarrassment while his hands move in a panic.

They’re walking slowly, despite the bell had already rung. He takes note of Sunggyu’s height. He’s not too tall but to the point where Woohyun has to look up to meet his glance.

 

“Can I really talk to you?…” He falls back slightly “about earlier?”

Sunggyu turns and grabs his shoulders.

“You can tell me.”

His grip tightens.

 

“Anything.”

Anything?”

But not now. Not here.

“Later?”

his hands fall to his sides.

“Sure.”

And as Kim Sunggyu turns his back to him again Woohyun has to remind himself that he’s a child and Sunggyu’s an adult.

He doesn’t like you Nam Woohyun, this is just his job.

The rest of the day is uneventful, to say the least. Not much has changed. A few new faces in his class indulge in silly icebreaker games. Most of his teachers ignore the fact that it’s the first day and assign a few readings for homework. Woohyun sits with his head down for most of the class, only contributing when called on. He’s just trying to ride out this year with as little disruption as possible.

But when he turns to leave to go home, he is faced with the last person he wanted to see today. He’s blocked the doorway with his large frame, his arms spread tight across his chest.

“Nam Woohyun, it’s nice to see you.”

“What do you want.”

“Lend me some cash.”

“I don’t have any money and even if I did, you would be the last person He’d give any of it to.”

Myungsoo is what you’d call an underdeveloped bully. He won’t shut up about this or that but he won't do anything. It’s his underclassmen hunks of meat that do the dirty work for him. Woohyun says a small thank god for not being in the same class as any of them.

“I just told you that I don’t have any.” Woohyun move to slide past but Myungsoo grabs him by his collar, jerking him back.

“Come on, just a few bucks.”

“How many ing times do I have to tell you that I don’t have any!”

 

The lingering students seem to go about their lives, not caring to intervene. They only look out for themselves. That’s why school feels like a battlefield, where there are no victors, losers, only bystanders. You either take care of yourself, or someone will take care of you.

Woohyun thinks he’ll get hit when he feels another hand touch his collar.

“Let go of him.”

Kim Sunggyu.

“I said, Let go of him. Right now.”

Why is it him?

Myungsoo’s hand drops reluctantly and he storms away.

“Thanks.” He says, rubbing his neck.

“What’s his problem?”

“Well, his hobbies include inflicting fear. But trust me, he doesn't scare me one bit. He just won’t leave him alone.”

Sunggyu laughed to himself.

“Kids like him just need a wake-up call. I’ll look into it,” He winks at Woohyun “now about that talk.”

He had expected to meet with him in the guidance wing of the school. That he would evidently sit him down with Dr. Lee whom Woohyun had already met with on numerous occasions and failed to get anywhere. But Sunggyu lead Woohyun out the front gates of the school. Woohyun stopped in confusion.

“Come on, let’s go somewhere nice it’ll be my treat,” Sunggyu said with a smile and for the first time in a while, so did Woohyun.

They walked a few blocks away from school. Woohyun watching him carefully, looking to see when he would take a half step in the direction of a store or restaurant. Sunggyu headed toward a cafe on the corner. It was small in size but brightly lit with decorative posters and scattered strings of lights. The bell attached to the door clanged as they entered. Something tells him that He’s probably passed it by a thousand times, but never took the time to actually go inside. Sunggyu walks in confidently, approaching the counter immediately. A young girl worked the register. She wore her hair in two braids and a dirtied apron over a dark colored dress.

“Sunggyu!”

Sunggyu reached out to ruffle her hair and she quickly protested, fixing it back into place.

“Where’s your brother? I haven't seen him in forever!”

“You know he’s busy. Besides, I’m here with a guest.”

She looks past Sunggyu at Woohyun. He avoids her eyes with the bow of his head.

-

Woohyun leaves the two to engage in small talk while he explored more.

Tan couches, love seats, and round wooden tables. Large windows carry beaming sunlight, reflecting off the pastel walls to fully illuminate the entire room. There are numerous bookcases scattered about; filled with classics from around the globe. Polaroid pictures of couples and groups of friends dangle from a white light rope laced in the top corners.

He was examining a photo up close when Sunggyu tapped his shoulder. He leads Woohyun to a booth made of a grungy leather. In front of it, a platter of sweets and two individual drinks.

“Have a seat.” He ushers with his hand.

Their mouths are far too occupied by sips and chews that words are unable to find their way into the mix. Woohyun’s eyes dart around; watching people enter and exit. Sunggyu glances at him and then at what had caught his attention.

“We don’t have to talk about anything if you don’t want to. It’s perfectly fine if you just want to just sit here.” Sunggyu spoke up finally.

He his lips, setting down the glass for a moment but gripping the base with his hands.

“I’m just in a difficult situation.”

“And are you okay living like this?”

Obviously not.

“Yes.”

His fingers tap on the cold glass leaving small condensation marks with the tips. Sunggyu’s eyes tense and for a second it looks like he’s reading Woohyun’s mind.

No.” his voice was softer. Sunggyu’s eyes relax.

No?”

“Trying doesn’t hurt,” His hands stretch across the table to touch the top of Woohyun’s hand “ and I can help if you let me.”

 

 

 

 

I've given up trying to alter the format on here so I'm just going to leave it as is (idk how people do this lol)