Chapter 5

The Great Gamble
Please log in to read the full chapter

A few days has passed since the stalking incident with Kim Jongin. JaeAh spent her weekend working and everything went smoothly—no wild stalker appearing out of nowhere. Even coming to school made her feel afraid and uneasy, because she knew there was a chance of them bumping into each other but thankfully, no such thing happened. In fact, it was only a matter of time before JaeAh forgot about it.

"No stalker these days?" Taekwoon spoke, eyes glued to his phone when JaeAh took a seat beside him. The first thing JaeAh did after she got home safely was to call Taekwoon and tell him everything. JaeAh shook her head, "Nope, and no news of me being a crazy . He must have given up asking me out too." She broke into a smile and punched her fist in the air, "Yes! Back to my normal life!" 

Taekwoon eyed her suspiciously, "I'm sure he's not a bad guy, considering he saved you the other day." JaeAh blinked at him, wondering if Taekwoon was right and that Kim Jongin really didn't mean to do anything to her. Not wanting to continue the conversation any further, she just rested her head on the table and tried to sleep.

But her plan quickly ruined by the sound of books slammed against the table, followed by a charismatic voice. JaeAh jolted up instantly and searched through her bag for her textbook. "Alright, settle down kids." Mr. Choi stated firmly. "I have the maths quiz results you all took last week. The following students, you have to stay back for this entire week because you, have failed the test." Mr. Choi said while staring directly at JaeAh.

It was no surprise when JaeAh's name ended up being called.
 

 

"Bye Taek." JaeAh pouted and waved him goodbye. Taekwoon had always been good at maths, so he naturally did well for the maths quiz. She slumped her shoulders and looked down at her paper, a pathetic 7 out of 20. Lucky seven indeed, she thought to herself. 

If only she had took the time to revise more of her school work, she wouldn't be here sitting in her classroom she was so terribly sick of. Because of this additional class, she could no longer work after school for one entire week. JaeAh held out her right hand, counting how much money she lost from not working. . I would need to work extra hard next week. JaeAh stood up from her seat, hoping to get some fresh air out there.

"Sit down, Kwon JaeAh." Mr. Choi commanded as he entered class.

She looked at Mr. Choi and silently cursed him for coming to class on time, but headed back to her seat obediently. She rested her chin on the palm of her hand and stared at Mr. Choi, awaiting his instructions.

"Besides the five of you here, we will be combining class with the kids next door. It would make it much easier for me." He flashed a dashing smile, showing off his white teeth.

Four other students walked through the door with the same boring expression JaeAh had on—the 'can't wait for this to end' expression. One of them locked gazes with JaeAh. Her eyes widened at the sight of the familiar face. Memories came flashing back into her head and started to become dry.

She broke off the eye-contact and stared down at her lap, taking deep breaths. She was so tempted to run out of class but as she looked back at Mr. Choi, the idea was gone immediately. It's okay. It's fine. JaeAh kept repeating to herself. As she noticed that Kim Jongin was seated right at the front of the class, she heaved a sigh of relief as she was seated right at the back.

"These two weeks, I will teach you the foundation which is what you guys lack—" Mr. Choi shook his head, "—which also explains your results for the quiz. For your information, it is compulsory to attend these lessons. Now, let's begin."

JaeAh couldn't stop fidgeting and looking around instead of listening to Mr. Choi throughout the whole lesson. She glared at the back of Kim Jongin—the cause of her being so distracted. Her instinct told her he wasn't a bad guy, just like Taekwoon had said, but it just doesn't feel right. JaeAh counted down the last minute before class ended and the moment the class greeted Mr. Choi goodbye, she grabbed her bag and sprinted out of class. She certainly did not want Kim Jongin following her the second time.

Once she was far enough from school, she started to slow down her pace and catch her breath. JaeAh looked up, only to see that the sun has set long ago and the sky was pitch black. She turned behind to check if there was anyone following her. Coast is clear. She let out a deep breath and started to make her way home. 

When JaeAh reached the her apartment building, she scanned her surroundings once more. Seeing there was nothing suspicious, she entered the building and pressed the button for the lift. Her anxiety kicked in when she noticed how quiet the lift lobby was, other than the elevators' ding sound as it descends each floor. JaeAh felt a shiver down her spine as she got reminded of a recent horror film she watched.

Level 4.

Level 3.

Level 2.

Level 1.

Ding.

The elevator doors slid open, revealing a middle aged man, wearing a black cap and brown oversized cloak. JaeAh tilted her head slightly, finding his fashion sense a little funny. She quickly entered the lift once the man exited it and pressed on her floor. However, he stopped in his tracks and swiftly spun around. JaeAh instinctively took a step back, holding onto the lift railings for su

Please log in to read the full chapter