Chapter 10

The Great Gamble
Please log in to read the full chapter

JaeAh yawned as she tried her best to listen attentively to Mr. Choi's final extra math lesson. It was really helping her so far, as she was confident that she would be able to score better in her next math test. However, it doesn't change the fact that she still hated math. Heck, she hated studying. She hated school. All she wants is to earn enough money to set up a cafe on her own, work alongside her best friend Hyeri. She wanted to build up something that would make her parents proud, unlike her useless brother who has never contributed anything to the family. 

Letting out a sigh, she put her head down on the table, feeling so defeated from everything that has happened in the past few weeks. Kim Jongin has been appearing in her life more frequently than she'd liked, and people in school have been saying things like Jongin has found a girlfriend. It was just one more week before the loser will be decided. She giggled a little thinking about how he would likely be the one running 10 rounds in his underwear, since she definitely isn't agreeing to being his girlfriend. Many girls at school would do that without any second thought, but not JaeAh. 

"JaeAh?" Mr. Choi called out, making JaeAh jump a little at her seat as she snapped out of her thoughts. "Yeah?"

"Please stay back after the class. Along with Kim Jongin," Mr. Choi smiled. Her eyes widened. What the heck? Did she do something wrong? And what did Kim Jongin do this time round?

As Mr. Choi wrapped up the class, he reminded the students to study hard and not give up. "No more failing your tests, I don't want to any more extra lessons."

The remaining students started packing up and leaving the class. JaeAh just blinked cautiously, still unsure of why she was called to stay back.

"Now, the two of you." Mr. Choi adjusted his spectacles and cleared his throat. JaeAh glanced at Jongin who straightened up in his seat.

"I want you two to work on a math project together. It's friday today, so complete it by next monday. You can either stay back today to finish it or meet over the weekeneds. It's up to you." Mr. Choi handed out a piece of paper to Jongin as he was seated infront.

JaeAh cursed under her breath. What?! By Monday?! And with Kim Jongin?! Why?

As if Mr. Choi could read her thoughts, he continued, "I just want you two to prove that both of you understand the concepts I have taught over the past few lessons. Okay? So do it well so that I don't have to see you at extra lessons ever again." Giving a small smile, he proceeded to walk out the classroom.

Putting her palm over her forehead, JaeAh sighed for the umpteenth time today. She looked up again to see Jongin walking over to her and sat on the table beside her, smirking. "Looks like we're stuck together."

JaeAh rolled her eyes and grabbed the paper from his hands, "You know what? Let's hurry up and finish it by today." 

"Nuh-uh, I have plans tonight. I was thinking we can do it tomorrow." Jongin shook his head and folded his arms, still smiling as if he's up to no good.

"But I have work tomorrow." JaeAh pointed out.

"Cancel it." Jongin raised an eyebrow. "No way, I need the money!" JaeAh frowned, she was starting to lose her patience.

"Don't forget you owe me one. Remember?" Jongin stood up, picked up his bag and started walking out the door. "Meet you at your workplace tomorrow at 12pm."

"Hey! BUT—" JaeAh called out but it was too late, he was long gone. Cursing Mr. Choi and Kim Jongin, she grabbed her own bag and stomped out of the cafe. It looks like she has no choice but to cancel work, since she did agree to going on a date with him. Wait, ew, it's not a date. She simply had no choice since she did owe him a favour after all he has done for her.

Taking her phone out from her pocket, JaeAh dropped Hyeri a text saying that she has to cancel her work shift tomorrow.

 

---

 

"JaeAh! I thought you weren't coming today." Hyeri waved as she saw JaeAh walk in to Beans and Creams. 

"Well, I'm not working. I'm here to study." JaeAh made a long face and glanced at her watch, 11:59pm. That idiot better not be late.

"Oh, with your favourite boy from school?" Hyeri said excitedly, pointing behind JaeAh. 

JaeAh turned around

Please log in to read the full chapter