Chapter 1

The Great Gamble
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was the second week of JaeAh's final year in high school. She was glad she survived the first week of school after months of holiday. Scratch that, she was amazed at how she was able to pull through the previous three years in here. Most people would say that high school would be one of the happiest phase of your life, where you would meet your true friends and true love even.

JaeAh would beg to differ, it wasn't as exciting as people said it would be.

The two reasons that kept her from quitting school completely were her parents, who were working their asses off to pay for her school fees and because of the interesting drama they provided here. Her school were full of immature adolescents out to create trouble. She don't even have to watch dramas on television or on the internet anymore because she was able to watch it anytime in school.

JaeAh looked around her class with a sigh. 

"OH. MY. GOD. Chanyeol oppa is looking sooooo fine today!" Soojin squealed as her girlfriends started to gather around her table, their eyes fixated on the tiny device showing a korean-pop idol group's performance. 

"Over here! Over here!" A few guys were passing paper balls across the classroom like monkeys and laughing like they were mad.

JaeAh rolled her eyes and nudged her seatmate, "Yah, don't you think they should grow up?"

His wide shoulders were hunched forward, he glanced at JaeAh for a  short while before he went back to playing his favourite mobile game, Clash Royale.

"Gosh, how long has it been since you've been to the barber?" She reached out to fiddle with his long black hair that covered his asian-looking eyes. Taekwoon did not respond nor looked up from his phone. JaeAh just shook her head like how a parent would when disappointed at his or her child. 

"Taek, you know, though you're not the bestest friend in the world, you're still way better than them. I would rather hang out with you, honestly." JaeAh secretly pointed at her childish classmates and gave him a wink.

"Oh, wonderful," Taekwoon nodded proudly, which made JaeAh roll her eyes once more.

Taekwoon and JaeAh have been seatmates since last year. Coincidentally, they were the outcasts of the class, people who were deemed as boring to hang out with as nobody was able to click with them. But it's not like they wanted to hang out with the rest of the class either, so they were stuck with each other for projects and lunch and surprisingly, they could tolerate each other despite their differences.

JaeAh turned her attention back to her class and just stared blankly at them, wondering how she was going to spend another year with this bunch of people. Some of them were so fake and could stab you in the back anytime while some of them were just so dumb and immature that JaeAh wondered how they managed to not drop out of school because they must have failed their examinations with their stupidity. 

She recalled during the winter season two years ago about this classmate of hers called Baekhyun. He had a crush on this stunning senior for the longest time and decided to confess. However, he did not know that the senior had a boyfriend and he ended up getting beaten up pretty badly by the boyfriend.

"Ouch, that must have hurt! But his brain is probably the one hurt in the first place, how could he not know she had a boyfriend? HAHAHA!" JaeAh said when she first heard about the story. 

Another time, these two girls liked the same guy and the guy decided to ask each of them out on a date. On the day itself, the guy did not turn up but the two girls did. JaeAh thought that she was going to die from laughter when she heard this and couldn't stop hitting Taekwoon on the back as she laughed like a dying seal. Taekwoon was so irritated that he did not talk to her the whole day.

Of course, today was not an exception. JaeAh's ears perked up as she heard Soojin and her friend talking in their annoying high-pitched voice. Well, well, well, what have we got here?

"Did you know about Kim Jongin and his friend from the next class? I heard they made a bet to see who would get a girlfriend within a month! Loser has to run 10 rounds in the field, in only his underwear!"

"Really? I hope it's me!" 

JaeAh chuckled and shook her head. Seriously? Do people really have nothing to do these days? Don't they have to study?

It was only then when a loud voice boomed across the class. "SHUT UP AND GET READY, KIDS."

It was Mr. Choi, the strictest teacher in the entire school.  She did not want to get herself into trouble, so she immediately took out her math textbook. JaeAh noticed the blue polka dot tie he was wearing and bit her lip to stop herself from laughing. He also had on black rimmed glasses and today, his ash blonde hair was neatly combed back. His style was cool and many girls would have a crush on him if he was a tad bit nicer.

"That guy at the back, Jungwoo, Jung- whatever your name is, where's your textbook?" He questioned.

"I left it at home." The guy called Jungshin just shrugged.

"At home?"

"Yeah, at home." Jungshin stated.

"From today onwards, you don't have to come to class until I say so. For now, you may leave. Class, please turn to page 26 of your textbook." Mr Choi firmly said and did not give Jungshin a glance.

Jungshin just blinked at the teacher, confused at what he should do. Oh man, this boy just dug his own grave.

The previous time somebody got punished by Mr. Choi, the student did not know what to do either. He thought that going for detention would work but Mr. Choi still refused to let him attend class. He even cleaned the male toilet but Mr. Choi still didn't budge. It was only until he wrote a reflection letter until Mr. Choi gave in. JaeAh wondered if Mr. Choi was a sadist, making students do all kinds of before he forgave them.

Jungshin had left the class without a word and lesson continued as per normal.



It was only until the end of the class JaeAh remembered someone was punished because Jungshin barged into class, with his clothes soaked in perspiration and the maths textbook in his hand. 

Mr. Choi looked at him wit

Please log in to read the full chapter