Chapter 6

The Great Gamble
Please log in to read the full chapter

'Did you get hurt?' and 'Really?' were the two things Taekwoon said after JaeAh told him about yesterday, along with some shocked expressions. She had fallen asleep before she had got the chance to text him to tell him about everything. "How am I going to face him?" JaeAh sighed.

Taekwoon raised a brow, "It's not like you did anything wrong."

"B-but... he asked me out!" she said matter-of-factly, looking around to see if anyone heard her. Her answer was no, thankfully, because her classmates seem to be doing their usual thing—girls discussing about their idols and guys fooling around and cackling like they inhaled laughing gas.

"Oh, and you forgot how to say no?" Taekwoon said while taking out his phone and unlocking it.

"But I owe him something. I mean, he got hurt because of me." JaeAh bit her lip and looked at Taekwoon, who was now focused on his phone game. JaeAh crossed her arms, knowing well that once he starts to play that damn game, he was going to ignore her, as usual. Giving up thinking of what she should do—return him a favour and go on a date with him or stay guilty forever for slamming the door in her saviour's face, she proceeded to get ready of Mrs Lee's class.
 

---


The moment JaeAh dreaded has arrived, she sank lower in her chair as she fought the urge to run out of class. As she saw him walk through her classroom door, the first thing JaeAh noticed was how his hair was parted in the middle rather than the side today, while the second thing was the visible bruise on his lip. Not wanting to make any eye contacts, she quickly directed her gaze to Mr. Choi, who was scribbling a few equations on the whiteboard. She couldn't help but ponder what Mr. Choi's reaction to the bruise would be, or if he even saw it in the first place.

Her eyes then fell back to Jongin, who was already at his seat. Instead of listening to Mr. Choi, his head was rested on the table. She softly chuckled, as it reminded her of the exact same way she felt yesterday, except that now, instead of feeling afraid, she was more of embarrassed. 


 

"Go on a date with me."

Shocked, JaeAh immediately slammed her door and leaned against it, trying to make sense of what just happened. Maybe it was because it has been a long time since she has been asked out by a guy, but her heartbeat began to race.

Realising what she did was really disrespectful, she quickly composed herself and opened the door again. Thankfully, he was still standing there, but his expression told her she shouldn't have done that. Biting her lip, she stood there awkwardly. , what is wrong with you, Kwon JaeAh? He saved your life, well, sort of, and you're doing this to him? 

She glanced at him carefully, his eyes were looking down at the ground and it seemed to have lost focus. He was frowning and JaeAh wondered if he was offended by the rejection. It's just one date... it should be okay, right? It's not like he wants me to be his girlfriend. It's not like I'd die if I go out with him. I should repay him for helping me twice, that's right. 

She gulped nervously before finally saying, "O-Okay."

His eyes lit up almost instantly and his eyebrows raised. He seemed to be thinking of something for a moment, then his lips curved upwards, and then he laughed loudly.

"I'm just kidding, you don't have to do that." Jongin said, still chuckling.

JaeAh furrowed her eyebrows, but felt relieved that she didn't have to go out with him. "How should I repay you then?" 

"You don't owe me anything, silly." he said as he ruffled her hair lightly. JaeAh's eyes widened at the sudden gesture but before she could stop him, he had already walked off. She ran her hand through her hair, thinking about the vague contact they just had. 

"Seriously, that guy is..." JaeAh scoffed as she shut the door behind her. With a sigh, she made her way back to her bed, kicking aside some of her clothes and books which were scattered on the floor. 

"Aish." She hissed at the mess, reluctantly getting up to get rid of them but only to change her mind and plop back onto her bed. Closing her eyes, JaeAh made a mental note to clean up her room the next morning before she goes to school. Though it's not like it mattered anymore, because he probably had already seen everything.


 

Sh

Please log in to read the full chapter