Chapter 2

The Great Gamble
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Excuse me, student?"

JaeAh felt someone poke her head and she immediately jolted up. JaeAh looked around, dazed. A tall bony woman stood infront of her, her hair tied in a low bun, showing off her prominent jawline. Mrs Lee glared at JaeAh with her arms crossed. She was standing so clcose to JaeAh that she could could visibly notice the wrinkles surrounding her eyes.

"You're already in the last year of high school yet you still don't know what you should do and should not do in class? Do you know how disappointing that is? Do you know how much effort I put into this lesson? I spent the whole night compiling— " Mrs. Lee continues nagging away as JaeAh just sat in her seat awkwardly, not even listening to any of her words as she dropped her head in embarrassment. .

Working the night before was definitely a bad idea, considering JaeAh had to wake up at 7AM for school the next day. It wasn't like she had a choice, the allowance from her parents were not enough to cover her school fees and rental fees since she moved out from her old neighbourhood, Guri, to stay somewhere nearer to school.

After a minute of nagging, Mrs Lee finally stopped and resumed with her lesson. 

Taekwoon gradually put a pack of gum on her table, JaeAh brightened and whispered to Taekwoon, "Thanks, you're a lifesaver, seriously." 

"Oh right! This too!" JaeAh suddenly remembered and took out Taekwoon's umbrella from her bag. Taekwoon didn't say a word and just took it.



"Alright, class dismissed." Mrs Lee said the words that everyone has been wanting to hear as she walked out of the classroom. 

"Let's go over to your house, I miss Popcorn so much," JaeAh tapped Taekwoon on his shoulder as he was packing his stuff. 

"Don't you have work today?" Taekwoon asked without looking up.

"I'm off today." JaeAh said before walking off impatiently as Taekwoon was taking his own sweet time. "I'll meet you at the lockers." 

As JaeAh walked down the school hallway with her shoulders slumped, she felt a dull ache at the back of her head. Thinking that the reason was due to lack of sleep, she didn't worry much about it.

JaeAh reached her locker and put in the books she didn't need for tomorrow as well as take out the ones essential for tomorrow. Once she was done, she closed her eyes and leaned on her locker while waiting for that slowpoke to be done.

"Yah! Kim Jongin! Stop right there!" 

JaeAh furrowed her eyebrows at that sudden commotion.

"Bastard, I told you to stop!" It was louder this time.

. JaeAh's eyes shot open and looked around to see which idiot was raising his voice for no good reason. JaeAh looked to the left side of the hallway, there was a guy who had his fists clenched and was glaring at two guys who were back facing him. She couldn't see any of their faces, until one of them—one of the guy infront—turned around. 

It's that guy from last night. Kim Jongin? That sounds familiar. Oh right, the guy that everyone's talking about. Every girl, I meant. JaeAh have heard about his name a thousand and one time, but never really knew how he looked like. More students start to crowd around the three guys, including JaeAh.

JaeAh tiptoed, trying to get a better look at the scene infront of her. Maybe this drama could ease my headache, ha.

"You... what the did you do to Minjung?" Even without looking, she could sense his rage through his voice.

"Nothing," Jongin shrugged.

"Yeah. Mino, Jongin didn't do . She was the one that said she liked him. So just off already—" he paused, "—before it's too late." Oh, the shorter guy from yesterday. 

"Bull! You stole her away from me! You're ed up!" Mino tightened his jaw, breathing heavily.

"If you say so," Jongin said nonchalantly and walked away.

"Stop right there!" Mino shouted and kicked Jongin's back, causing Jongin to fall over to the ground. Jongin threw daggers at Mino before getting up, brushing the dirt off his white shirt. Mino glared back at him, face growing even redder than before.

"Like I said, nothing." Jongin stated firmly he took a step towards Mino each time he spoke.

They were now a metre away from each other, still glaring at each other. Jongin then slowly leaned closer to Mino, whispering into his left ear. JaeAh could now see Mino's face from where she was, and boy anyone could tell how mad he was. Jongin gave Mino a light pat on the shoulder before walking away. 

"Bye!" The guy with the spiky hair waved enthusiastically at Mino, who was now sobbing on the floor, before catching up with Jongin. At the same time, murmurs could be heard and JaeAh could hear from some of the girls mumbling something that sounded like 'he's so cool' and 'that's my oppa'.

Please log in to read the full chapter