Chapter 8

The Great Gamble
Please log in to read the full chapter

The only thing that can be heard was the radio playing in the taxi, talking about how alcohol consumption can affect one's health. How appropriate, JaeAh thought as she looked to her left, where her drunkard brother has now fallen asleep on Kim Jongin's shoulder. Taking a sneaky glance at Kim Jongin's expression, she couldn't figure out what he was thinking as he stared outside the window, looking at the water droplets falling on the window. It started drizzling not long after they got inside the cab. 

JaeAh reached into her pocket and fished out her phone, fingers slamming on the keyboard furiously.

To: Daeguni
You are dead tomorrow.

Putting her phone aside since she knew that Taekwoon wouldn't reply as he is probably busy with his video games, she decided that she needed to say something to break this awkward silence. She pursed her lips, thinking back to what she said to Jongin in the restaurant. "Do you usually just do whatever you want? Huh? Without thinking first or caring about other people's opinions? Do you think every girl out there wants to go out with you? Well maybe they do, but I don't! So stop thinking the world only revolves around you and learn how to not cross the ing line!" I must be out of my mind to say that to the school's most popular guy. Not just that, I said that out loud to the restaurant. It was so embarrassing for me, I cannot imagine how Kim Jongin would have felt. And he still offered to help me, for the third time.

She parted her lips, ready to say something, but she wasn't sure what to say. She looked at him again, his eyes were still fixated on the window. 

JaeAh wasn't sure if her eyes were playing tricks on her or something, but she thought she saw something dripping down his cheek. Is he.. crying?!

"We're here, the total will be $36." The driver said as he pulled up on the street outside their house.

As the driver said that, Jongin immediately wiped his tears away and reached into his pocket to take out his wallet.

JaeAh straightened up and said, "No. I'll pay for it. Just help me get him out of the car," JaeAh nodded at his brother who has his mouth hanging open, still passed out.

After paying the driver and softly cursing her brother for making her pay such an expensive taxi fare, she got out of the car and rushed over to open her house gate to let Jongin and her brother in. She then ran over towards her door and took out the keys from her bag. As she inserted the key into the door, her eyes widened. ! Appa and Eomma are home and they will be wondering who the heck is this guy carrying her brother. She looked behind at Jongin frantically, who was already sweating in buckets, trying so hard to keep her brother from not falling over. Aish. What if Eomma thinks his my boyfriend? What if Appa freaks out? What if—

"Who's that?" The door opens and JaeAh's father looks out, "JaeAh?"

JaeAh smiled sheepishly and greeted her father before glancing behind at his drunk brother. "I found him like this, as usual." JaeAh's father finally noticed the struggling Jongin and opened the door wide, gesturing Jongin to get in with a worried expression. JaeAh hurried in closely behind, telling Jongin where her brother's room was located.

JaeAh switched on the lights of his room and scrunched her nose in disgust at the sight of his room. Empty soju bottles were toppled over and half eaten cup noodles were left on the floor. Below her feet, she could also see his blue boxers that were just lying there. She kicked it away and rolled her eyes. Useless brother.

Jongin plopped Jiyong down onto the bed and tucked him in with the blanket. Once he was done, he turned around and looked at JaeAh, and then his eyes shifted to the mess all over. Their eyes made contact again and JaeAh just scratched her neck awkwardly, still unsure of what to say. This whole situation was a mess. She cannot believe that Jongin has seen her at her worse so many times, and now, the popular and oh-so-great Kim Jongin is at her house. The girls in school will kill me if they find out. But my parents would probably kill me first.

"Aigoo,

Please log in to read the full chapter