Chapter 6: Love in the Ice

Gift of an Angel

 

Jaejoong’s POV

I still can’t but to wonder. Why can’t Jenny put her guard down? I looked at the memories that me and Jenny shared in the past. Her smiles and happiness radiate throughout the pictures. Now, I feel like she’s a different person. I read my diaries of her. She enjoys dancing so much with Yunho and Junsu simply because she can do a lot with them. 

 

Why are you pushing me away? Are you afraid I’ll see you differently? Please tell me Jenny...

 

Junsu came through the door. I walked up to him. “Where have you been?”

“No where. I just went out for a drive.”

“Be honest with me.”

“Even if I am being honest with you, you’ll be rash with your own action. Why don’t you apologize to Jenny?” Junsu suggested. I was confused and shocked to hear that. I picked up the phone to call Jenny.

 

“Hello?”

“Jenny, I’m sorry.”

“Huh?”

“About earlier, I didn’t mean to probe you that far.”

“Oh, yeah. It’s fine.”

“Don’t brush it off like that Jenny.”

“You don’t have to be protective over me. I can handle situation on my own. It’s not like I need a knight in shining armor by side constantly.”

“It’s something I - “

“Can’t help it. Yeah. That’s what most guy tend to say.”

“Can I come over?”

“I guess.”

“I’ll be right over then.”

 

I made my way to Jenny’s place. I knocked on her door and she welcomed me in.  We went to the couch and sat down. 

 

“So...I’m guessing you already know.”

She nodded. “Your action and your intent are not so hard to guess.”

“Can I see -”

“Is it really necessary?” Jenny said defensively. I put my hand on her face and caress her hair. I look at her into the eyes. “Can you let me in for once?”

 

Jenny’s POV

I am still hesitant about saying yes to Jaejoong. He’s so sweet, gentle, and protective about my own life. But letting him see my scar worries me a bit. It’s not that he will harm me but getting him more protective of me is highly unnecessary.
“Just...don’t overreact.” I told him. I uncovered my long sleeves where he can see the blade’s cut on my skin. The red lines, the bruises, and the scar that left on my skin. His cold, pale hand touch the scars as he looked appalled. 

“They...did this to you?” He looked so dismay. I simply nodded. “Jenny, how long have you been suffering like this?”

“Since I was 9 years old.”

“You carry these scar like a burden. But that night...”

“I didn’t want you to get hurt by them. I rather take the hit than to have your reputation be ruined by the media. Everything I did that night was out of love.”

 

Jaejoong’s POV

I immediately hugged her into my warm embrace. Why does she have to suffer like this? Can’t the world be more nicer to her? 

 

I looked at her in the eyes and start to sing. “Everyone is searching for a place that can heal their sadness and loneliness. So...for you, that place is here. Don’t be afraid, don’t hesitate anymore, because I’ll protect you.” Jenny looked at me in the eyes as I finished the second chorus. “I promise I will.”

 

“Did you really just sang the song -”

“Love in the ice? Yeah, it’s extremely popular among the fans.”

“I don’t blame the fans. The chorus is so beautiful.”  Jenny yawned. “You need to go home, Jaejoong. I need to get some rest.” I didn’t bother to go out the door. Instead, I picked her up and carry her to the bed. “Jaejoong...”

“I’m sleeping with you tonight. That way I can protect you throughout the night.” I laid right next to her. “Don’t worry Jenny. is out of the window.”  As the night slowly progresses, I embraced her even more. I still kept my promise. I’ll be her guardian angel. 

 

Forever.