Obstacles?

That Words...

The dawn send shimmering rays, soothing the sky with its warm and the silence city starting to get busy by occupants’s daily routines as the new day has begin. Yongbae sit on the edge of his bed after alarm clock has been set off, forcing his body to the bathroom and fighting with the drowsiness. His throat still feels dry that makes him cough couple of times, but thinking about all the works that pending because of his fever yesterday, he puts everything aside.

 

He rushing his step once he’s out from the bathroom when his feet accidentally stepped onto something and noticed the small luggage on the floor. “Eh, when this thing got in here? Is it Jiyong’s?” Yongbae quickly looks around the house to search for the person that he hope for, but he seen no one. He then back to his bedroom to get dress with little disappointment lingers his heart. While he is busy buttoning his shirt, he heard light snoring coming out underneath of the blanket. Without thinking, he pull off the blanket and revealing Jiyong’s body that lied in a deep sleep with pillow that almost buried him. Yongbae startled. “When did he came? So, that’s mean he slept here last night?” without realized his lips creeping a smile. He slowly moving closer and sit beside Jiyong.

“Jiyong, wake up. It’s morning.” he try to wake him up.

Jiyong start to whimper. Waking up in the morning is something that he hates the most. Moreover, he slept quite late last night. However, he force himself to get up, looking at Yongbae blankly.

“Hey…when did you came back here? Hurry up, take your bath. We’re going to work.” Yongbae ruffles Jiyong’s hair that already messy. Jiyong still whining with his eyes shut close, wishing to sleep a little while longer. “Come on Ji. Wake up. I can’t let you running late to work.” said Yongbae while pulling Jiyong’s arm to prevent him lying back.

 

Two sets of western breakfast already served on the table and Yongbae carefully brings two mugs of hot coffee to complete the menu.

“Let’s breakfast” he said when noticed that Jiyong is approaching towards him.

Jiyong reply with a smile, “Morning, Yongbae.” he greet and taking his seat.

“What time did you came?” asked Yongbae again since the question doesn’t get any reply.

“I’m not sure, maybe 3 or 4 am. I don’t bother to look at the time and sorry I came in without informed.” said Jiyong.

“Ah, nevermind. I’m just surprised that you are here. I thought you had gone back to your place.” replied Yongbae.

“I did. But then I’d decided to return back here. Owh yes, I also brought some of my belongings. Can I leaved it here? Since that I always end up coming to your house, so I thought….” Jiyong looking at Yongbae waiting for the permission.

“It’s ok. I had already gave you the key, right? So, just makes yourself at home.” Yongbae grinning cheerfully. There is no reason for him to be unhappy when his wish has been answered.

“Thank you.” Jiyong smile lavishly, feeling grateful for the positive reactions from Yongbae.

 

******************************************

 

“Yongbae, please come to my room for awhile.” ordered Soo Hyuk when he passed by him.

Yongbae, who is currently focusing on his computer screen get startled when heard Soo Hyuk voice but then slowly following him from behind. Even though he doesn’t sure what is it regarding but he feels uneasy. “Is it about yesterday?” his mind silently thinking.

 

“So, how is your condition?” asked Soo Hyuk when Yongbae entered the room while leads him to the sofa.

“Getting better. Thank you.” answered Yongbae short.

“I see…” Soo Hyuk landed on the sofa while staring at Yongbae, adding more burden to Yongbae’s heart.

“Look, I hope you don’t take it wrongly about what I’m going to say. This is just a little advice between friend. It doesn’t mean that I’m not concern about your health.” Soo Hyuk inhales a deep breath before continue expressing his words. “Within these past few days, I keep observing both of you, you and Jiyong. I don’t know how close the relationship between you two. but I’m pretty sure it is not just a normal friend would have. Although me and Jiyong has been known each other quite long but I’ve never seen he neglected something important just for his personal matter. To be honest, I was really surprised about what was happened yesterday. You know what he missed? Yesterday actually we were supposed to meet our biggest sponsor for the upcoming event. Jiyong is the one who should in charge on that but he refused just because you’re not feeling well. You know what is the importance of first impression, Yongbae? In business, even with tiny little things can ruins all your efforts. We almost lost the sponsorship because that little thing you know.” paused Soo Hyuk, taking his deep breath once again while gazing Yongbae’s reaction who seems so quiet in his place. “Maybe you can understand, it’s not easy to please people who hold the power, Yongbae. We had worked so hard for this sponsorship. To get the slot for an appointment also not an easy task. That is why when Jiyong simply asked to cancel it, I’ve totally blown away by it. That reason was ridiculous.” he sighed.

“I don’t know that thing would happened like this. If I knew, I wouldn’t let Jiyong stay with me. Since he was insisted, I thought everything was fine. Sorry.” Yongbae take the opportunity to apologized when Soo Hyuk stop talking.

“It’s not wrong to have a close friend beside you, Yongbae. But, we have to know our place. We also should know when to act silly and when to be serious. Since you are here, Jiyong seems lack on focus. I believed his changes was influenced by you. Whenever you both being together, Jiyong seems forget about everything else. Don’t forget Yongbae, Jiyong is not the same person as you known before. He now has a big responsibility on his shoulder. As a worker, you might not been affected so much. But for me and Jiyong, as a shareholder of this company, our reputation will be at risk if we step on the wrong path. As I said, although we still get the sponsorship, but reducing on its amount has shown that they must be disappointed as Jiyong failed to presence on that meeting. It shows less of respect. I don’t know whether you can understand all these, but Yongbae this is what usually happen in business. People with power doesn’t care about friendship bounding or whatsoever that we call it. Friendship is just a money. The more they can benefit from it, the more friendship will last, but once you did wrong, then it’s finished. I know Jiyong will not accepting my advice if I say it directly to him, but I think I can rely on you Yongbae. Jiyong only listen to you. So, I hope in the future please set your limit. If you don’t get too close, I’m pretty sure that Jiyong will constraint himself from you.”

 

***************************************************

 

Yongbae spacing out in front of his computer screen after leaving Soo Hyuk office, with mind that full with hurtful words that he received, which tortured direct to his soul. “Why should I had to be blamed when I know nothing about it? When did I ever influenced the decision that Jiyong made? What our friendship has to do with their decision in cutting the sponsorship? Like I ever knew that I’m going to pass out yesterday.” Yongbae hold his head between his hand, trying to shook the frustration and his mind is busy digesting the words that Soo Hyuk mention to him. After a moment, he slowly starting on his job, acting like he doesn’t care about Soo Hyuk’s cautionary advice just now. But how can he easily forget it all when it’s relate to Jiyong. For him, everything about Jiyong is mattered to him. “Did I just being a burden to him?” he released a heavy sighed, those thought made him feels suffocated.

 

A touch of Jiyong on his shoulder had surprised him, and Yongbae head up to look at his friend who is smiling cheerfully like nothing trouble he had in mind.

“Here, I bring some candies that might help to reduce your sore throat.” said Jiyong while hands over the various types of menthol candy that he brought.

“Wah…it’s a lot!!” said Yongbae in shock.

“Hope you can recover quickly.” replied Jiyong.

Yongbae gazing his friend who is standing in front of him. Soo Hyuk’s words barking in his mind once again. “Don’t get too close!!!”… Yongbae silently sighed. “How can I ignore him? Is it wrong to be friend with this person? No matter how much I think of it, I still don’t like the idea. Rather than leave him, I prefer to let him being closer. Three years I wasted my life after letting him go. It’s . I don’t want that nightmares comeback. However, is it true everything has change? Is it true that I will become his obstacle? Why it has to be like this?” another sighed released.

“Yongbae..hey…Do you hear what I’m saying or not?” asked Jiyong suddenly brings Yongbae back to his sense.

“Ah..Sorry.. What did you said just now?” asked Yongbae try to faking a smile.

“Aishh..Are you really ok? What is in your mind?” Jiyong shook his head. “I asked you what you want to eat this afternoon?” explained Jiyong.

“Owh..anything would be ok.” replied Yongbae. “Isn’t it too early to ask about lunch?” asked Yongbae back, teasing his best friend. Jiyong’s smile become widen and slowly leaving Yongbae’s work station while waving at him. Jiyong’s action make Yongbae forget about Soo Hyuk’s words for a moment. The smile that creeping on Jiyong’s lips is more precious than anything else. “Everything will be alright, right?” his mind trying to encourage his soul.

 

That afternoon Yongbae creates an axcuse not to join Jiyong and Soo Hyuk for a lunch. Disappointment clearly shown on Jiyong’s face but Yongbae try to hold himself when noticed that Soo Hyuk glaring at him. “Maybe I should just avoid when he is around.” thought Yongbae when saw Soo Hyuk walking side by side with Jiyong. Yongbae sitting alone in the pantry with a mug of coffee and some crackers. He already lost his appetite when the two guys left, so that he decided to make it simple by consumes that. Nevertheless, he feels lonely.

 

This situation has been prolonged about a week. Whenever, Jiyong and Soo Hyuk lunch together, Yongbae will give his excuses not to join. From the third day he refused, Yongbae noticed that Jiyong didn’t showed any reaction like he normaly did. That had created a worry in Yongbae’s heart. But still he didn’t confront Jiyong about it. They rarely met each other within that time. Yongbae buried himself under the pillow. The loneliness is killing him. He didn’t know how many time he sighed whenever his eyes landed on things that belong to Jiyong. “Why don’t you come over?” he asked silently when noticed that Jiyong seldom been seen in that house. Jiyong only came once, to claim an explanation on his refusal whenever he invites him lunch together. But he only gave ridiculous reason saying that he was not yearned for anything. He knows that Jiyong might be hurt by his answer. Maybe that was the reason why he didn’t said anything after that. However, this is not something that he wants. In office, Yongbae try to steel a glance towards Jiyong whenever he walked passed by. He didn’t get the chance to meet him alone. Soo Hyuk always tailing him wherever he goes. Every time he try to message there is no words he can think of and he end up deleting whatever he type at the first place. He did call Jiyong before. However, when knowing that Soo Hyuk is around so he just make the conversation short. As for Jiyong, he did send a message to Yongbae but Yongbae could noticed the message become shorter every time he received it. Although he try to act like nothing happened but he could feels the pain. “Have we growing apart?” thought Yongbae by himself.

 

Jiyong knocking on his partition one day while looking at him with straight face. Yongbae startled before return the gaze in silence.

“Will you go out with me today?” Jiyong suddenly asked. “Just two of us.” he added when noticed Yongbae skewed around.

Yongbae’s eyes landed back on Jiyong and he slowly nodding as agreed toward the invitation. With an awkward silence, they leave the office together.

“Can we just having our lunch here?” asked Jiyong when they entered hotel parking.

“It’s okay with me.” answered Yongbae with weird feeling. This is not a normal place that Jiyong will choose when they going out together. Usually they prefer ordinary restaurants which offer more foods in their menu. However Yongbae doesn’t complaint.

 

They sit facing each other and Jiyong suddenly smile. “Feels like we haven’t seen each other for so long.” he smirked. Yongbae head up and locking his eyes on Jiyong while grinning.

“Yeah, you are right.” Yongbae realized how he missed the guy in front of him.

“I’m glad that we can spend time today.” Jiyong said and bring his sight through out the window. The silence atmosphere covers their table for a while.

“Ji, why didn’t you say anything about me being like that?” asked Yongbae when noticed that Jiyong doesn’t care to ask.

“We have known each other for so long. If this is the Yongbae that I’ve known before, so I don’t need to ask anything. He never done anything without a reason. When you suddenly acted like that, I’m pretty sure that something had happened. However, I’m a bit disappointed because I’m not the person who you can rely on when you are having a problem.” smirks performed at the corner of his lips. Yongbae startled. He can feels a lumps on his throats that makes him hard to speak.

“No….it’s not like that…I’m just…ermph…sorry.” Yongbae end up expressing his apology. He doesn’t know how he should explain about Soo Hyuk.

“It’s ok. Since you are here right now is enough for me.” said Jiyong try to comfort Yongbae.

“Thanks. I’m very worried if you’re getting angry with me, since you didn’t came to my place.” expressed Yongbae.

“Sorry, I thought you didn’t want to be disturbed, so that is why…” confess Jiyong. “If only you knew how crazy I was waiting for your call to ask me to come over.” thought Jiyong alone.

“However Yongbae ah, there is one thing I want to ask. You behave like this, is it because of Soo Hyuk?” asked Jiyong straight try to know the truth.

Yongbae stay silence. His lips glued together. His mind keep thinking the suitable answer for that question.

“So, it’s true, isn’t it?” Jiyong conclude by himself when received nothing from Yongbae. “I knew it. That is why you keep refusing when I asked you out whenever Soo Hyuk was around. What actually happened between you two?” Jiyong keep asking.

“I don’t know how to explain, but as you said, in everything that happened there is a reason behind it. Maybe I’ll be able to tell you someday.” replied Yongbae.

“But I don’t like it. I don’t like it when you push me away. I hate it when you avoiding me. I don’t want you distance yourself from me. I just don’t like it….” Jiyong bring his sight down avoiding the sharp gaze that Yongbae’s shoot direct to him and he dumbfounded.