Broken pieces...

That Words...

 

The two bestfriend walking side by side heading to their office that morning. People can notice the cheerful atmosphere covered both of them when seeing their smiles. They are seems too immerse with their conversations, to notice that someone is watching them engrossedly from far.

“Yongbae ah, this afternoon lets go have lunch together. I will bring you to the place that I love to go. The food is very nice and I know you will love it.” said Jiyong when they reached the office. Yongbae just nodded with a smile and they parted to their own place.

Time passed by without leaving a trace. Yongbae is too focus revising his own work from the lack that has been done since his mind fully distracted by yesterday incident. He carefully organize everything in its place until its suits his satisfaction. No matter how much he immersed with his job, it doesn’t stop his eyes from glancing over his friend whenever that guy walked pass by him.  Smile creeping on his lips whenever their eyes met but he try to prentend like nothing happened even so their action seems so obvious.

His energy starts to worn out after focusing too much on the computer screen. He could feels the tense around his muscle so Yongbae slumped on his chair given himself a light massage around his neck. He slowly get up and heading to the office pantry wishing to refresh himself with a cup of coffee. While he calmly waiting for the coffee to brew, he could feels someone tapping his right shoulder but when he turns to look who it was, there is none. His mind quickly reflects, and directly turn to his left and there is Jiyong, already waiting with a smile.

“Hey….Want some?” offered Yongbae and smile as a return.

Jiyong just nodding his head and take his sit while watching Yongbae who is busily preparing coffee for him.

“Don’t you have work to do?” asked Yongbae while he hands over the coffee towards Jiyong.

“A lot,.. I just need some breaks. To many files need to be read. That is why I follow you here.” replied Jiyong and slowly sip his coffee “Ah..it’s hot.” Jiyong quickly touch his lips.

“Careful you silly. Of course it’s hot.” Said Yongbae while pass some tissue to Jiyong.

“Ahhh…I’m really tired. There are a lot to be done before the function.” whinning Jiyong. “How’s yours? Is everything ok?” asked Jiyong still concerned on his bestfriend.

“Hmm…I’m working hard for it. This is my first project so I’m so excited but worry at the same time because I never experience any of this.” expressed Yongbae and inhaled a deep breath.

“I believed you can do well. You are always being a perfectionist in everything that you do.” Jiyong keep encouraged

“Your words makes me worry for more. I don’t want to fail your expectation.” said Yongbae being honest.

“It’s ok. Just believed in yourself.” said Jiyong and smile widely toward Yongbae.

While they are spending their time on chatting, Daesung suddenly walk into that room and looks so surprised when looking directly towards Jiyong.

“Ah..sorry if I’m interrupting.” Daesung bow in respect and quickly turn to leave that place.

“Hey..it’s ok, Daesung. You can come in.” Yongbae voice out. Daesung turn back to look at Yongbae and slowly step in. He nodded  when he reached in front of Jiyong and Jiyong just slightly smile.

“Ok Yongbae, we’ll catch up later. Don’t forget our lunch date.” Jiyong smile while walk away leaving the two staff alone in that pantry. Daesung being freeze at the corner until Jiyong’s figure can’t be seen anymore. He jumps towards Yongbae with surprised looks that makes Yongbae startled. “What’s wrong with you?” asked Yongbae in surprised.

“What is going on here? Why did Mr. Kwon came to see you?” asked Daesung in whispered.

Yongbae heading up, looking at Daesung in confused. “Why? What is wrong if he coming here to drink?” he asked.

“First, that is Mr. Kwon. Second, he never step into this pantry area and third, Mr. Kwon that I know won’t speak with others in casual way like that. It’s strange. Are you close with him?” asked Daesung.

“What type of person he usually is?” asked Yongbae, interested to know more about Jiyong.

“Unlike Mr. Lee, Mr. Kwon usually being reserved. He is the person who talked less with the others. I can’t say he is bad, he is kind and has a good manner, always smile buy still because he has lacked interaction with the staff make us feel a bit awkward when he was around. But seeing you so comfortable talking with him makes me wondered. Did you also attended the same university as Mr. Lee and Mr. Kwon?” Daesung keep asking.

“Not really. I was graduated from Korea, remember?” Yongbae smile towards Daesung.

Daesung nodded his head but his face clearly shows that he is clueless. The smile still didn’t left Yongbae’s lips while looking at Daesung.

“We are just an old friend. You know what? Actually Mr. Kwon used to be more happening than Mr. Lee. He was cheerful person and talked a lot which brought a good feeling to the people whenever he was around. He was very playful too.” Yongbae chuckled, remembering the old days makes his heart touched a bit.

“Really? We talked about the same Mr. Kwon, right?” Daesung still disbelief. Yongbae nodded his head confirming his statement.

“So, why did he changed? hmmm…people changed indeed. But, it would be nice if he could be that person again.” Daesung murmured himself.

Yongbae just stay silent. He knows it was relates with their past.

“As long as he treat you nicely, you should feel grateful about it, Daesung ah.”Yongbae smile conclude their conversations. Daesung nodded. “Yeah..you are right.” he said and they return together to their own workspace.

It’s already lunch hour. Yongbae still at his desk, waiting. Jiyong walk out from his room and quickly heading toward Yongbae.

“Are you ready Yongbae ah? Let’s go.” invite Jiyong.

Yongbae nodded and quickly stand up but then he saw Soo Hyuk already standing in front of the office entrance.

“Yongbae will join us today.” said Jiyong.

“Really. That’s good.” replied Soo Hyuk.

Yongbae just forcing his smile. He didn’t purposely act like that, but the way Soo Hyuk looking at him makes he feels something awry.

While they are on their way to the place that Jiyong suggest, Jiyong phone suddenly ringing. He looks at the name that appear on its screen and that makes him frowned before picking up his phone.

“Hello.”

“Where are you? Please come home. Let’s have lunch together.Your mother insist to have lunch with you.”

“But I’m going to have lunch with my friends now. How about tomorrow?”

“No. I’m only be free this afternoon. Who’s your friend? Soo Hyuk? Just bring him along.”

“What with this sudden occassion? Normally you never care about eating together?”

“Do as I’ve said. We will be waiting.”

“But dad….”

Jiyong can’t finish his words when his father ended the call. Frustration clearly shows on Jiyong’s face when he asked Soo Hyuk to drive off heading to his parents house.

“What’s wrong? Is there something happened?” asked Soo Hyuk concerned.

“I don’t know. I’m confused either.” said Jiyong and looking at Yongbae who is sitting at the back from the front mirror.

“Yongbae ah, sorry..there is changing in plan and we can’t go to the place that I promised today. We are going to my parents house now.” explained Jiyong but his heart starts to worry.

Yongbae just nodded with silence. “So, that means today I will get to know his parents which I’ve been curious before. But why suddenly I feels so nervous.” Yongbae thought silently.

The car finally reached of an exclusive condominium that makes Yongbae dumbfounded looking on how luxurious the place could be. He slowly get out from the car while his eyes keep observing the area. Jiyong walk closer to him.

“Welcome to my parents house. Let me introduce you to them.” said Jiyong and invite Yongbae to walk together with him. Soo Hyuk already waiting in front of the elevator while keeping his eyes at those two.

“Is this the first time you meet Jiyong’s parents?” asked Soo Hyuk towards Yongbae. Yongbae nodded. He still cannot calm his nerves down. The expensive interior in the elevator itself makes him quiver. Jiyong can notice that Yongbae being nervous but he also can’t help himself feeling the same thing.

Jiyong pressing the bell when they reached the front door and the door has been open by a young lady who welcome them with a wide smile. Jiyong look at the person but saying nothing while entering the house and Soo Hyuk and Yongbae just follow from behind.

“Welcome home my lovely son, how are you? I miss you so much.” Mrs. Kwon hugging Jiyong tightly. “You are here too, Soo Hyuk…” added Mrs. Kwon when noticed that guy follows behind him and she looks surprised when her eyes landed on Yongbae. “and who are you?” she asked directly at Yongbae. Yongbae awkwardly bowing to Jiyong’s mom.

“Hello, I’m Dong Yongbae, nice to meet you Mrs. Kwon.” he said.

“No, I don’t mean to ask your name. What is your relationship with my son that makes you join together?” asked Mrs. Kwon with serious expression.

“Mom…don’t speak that tone to my friend. I invites him to join since you had ruin our lunch planning.” Jiyong quickly backing up Yongbae.

“Your friend? I don’t remember seeing him before. Ahh..nevermind. Jiyong ah, here let me introduce you to someone.” Mrs. Kwon quickly grab the young lady who they met at the front door. “Here, this is Kiko Mizuhara. She is my friend’s daughter. She is pretty isn’t she? For your information, she is a model. It will be nice if she could be a model for your upcoming fashion show. How is it?” Mrs. Kwon introduced that lady excitedly. Jiyong just looking at her uninterestedly “We already have models for that.” he said and direct to the living room where his dad is sitting alone while reading a newspaper.

“I’m here, let’s have lunch together. So that I can return to my office immediately.” said Jiyong to his father.

“Jiyong, how could you treat Kiko like this? Atleast greet her properly.” asked her mother.

“You did that too towards my friend.” said Jiyong and glance over Yongbae. Yongbae who is just being observant from the moment they entered the house felt a bit pressured. The atmosphere feels so tense.

“It’s ok aunty, this is the first time we meet. So, it’s ok if he feels uncomfortable.” said Kiko with comfort while glaring at Jiyong.

“You asked me to come here, then you invite a stranger into this house. What is your agenda, mom?” said Jiyong with grumpy feeling.

“Is it wrong for asking my own son to return home?” asked his mother.

“Enough you two. Let’s just eat.” said his father than heading to the dining table that already prepared with various foods.

They are eating together with silence until Mr. Kwon starts the conversations with Soo Hyuk.

“How’s your father been doing, Soo Hyuk? Is his business run well?” asked Mr. Kwon.

“Yes, everything is good, thank you for your concerned.” answered Soo Hyuk.

“I will be abroad for a week. Maybe next time please ask your father to play golf with me.” said Mr. Kwon and then look at Yongbae “How about you? This is the first time I’ve seen you. Who is your parents and what they do?” asked Mr. Kwon.

“Err...actually my parents are in Korea. My father works as administrative officer while my mother just being a housewife.” answered Yongbae honest.

“Owh…and you, which position that you hold?” asked Mr. Kwon sternly.

“I just started my work as a Fashion Editor.” said Yongbae.

“Fashion Editor?Oh..So, you are just a worker? But why did you going out with them?” asked Mr. Kwon acted coldly.

“He is our new Fashion Editor. He will be incharge for our upcoming event. So, we need to discuss furthermore. That is why I invite him to join us for lunch but you spoil it. And the most importantly he is also my friend.” said Jiyong start to feels annoyed with his father’s questions.

“You still don’t know how to choose the right person to be friend with.” said his father while focusing on his food without looking at them.

Yongbae looks at Jiyong with silence. Deep in his heart he just knew that he is not been welcome to that place. There is sadness in Jiyong’s eyes when looking at him but Yongbae force himself to smile at Jiyong.

“Even though Yongbae is our new Fashion Editor, but he is very good worker, uncle. He is quick learner. So far, he is doing his job perfectly. So, no need to worry uncle.” Soo Hyuk try to break the awkwardness between them.

“Aish..just stop talking about works here. Jiyong ah, this weekend if you have nothing to do, how about you spend your time with Kiko. Both of you can go shopping together or watch some movies, what do you say?” asked Mrs. Kwon try to change the topic. Kiko who sit beside her just smiling shyly and glance over Jiyong.

“I don’t have time for unnecessary thing like that.” said Jiyong coldly.

“Jiyong ah, don’t be so rude.” ordered Mrs. Kwon.

Jiyong quickly stop eating and leans himself on the chair. “As I thought. This will never work out. From the moment you asked me to have lunch together, I actually can feels that something is not right. We never eat together since I was little. I think I know what you want to do mom. But, honestly I don’t want you to decide who I should be with. I’m so tired being controlled by both of you. I have the right to decide whatever I want or whom I will be with.This is ridiculous. I can’t accept this anymore. I’m out.” Jiyong quickly stand up and directly heading to the front door leaving his parents in shocked. Soo Hyuk and Yongbae looking toward each other before apologized to Jiyong’s parents and hurriedly following Jiyong from behind.

“Jiyong, wait!!” Soo Hyuk and Yongbae called him simultaneously stoping the lift door and entered together.

“What’s wrong Jiyong ah? Why did you being so sensitive today? It’s nothing wrong to pleased your mother’s wish. That girl isn’t bad either. She’s beautiful.” said Soo Hyuk.

Yongbae just being silent beside Jiyong. He knows that Jiyong is struggling himself. Everything about Jiyong’s parents that he heard from Dara before makes sense to him now. He could understand why Jiyong never mention about them.

“Sorry you two. Lets eat somewhere else.”said Jiyong.

“It’s okay Jiyong. If you aren’t feeling well, let’s return back to office. There is no point if you had no intention to eat after all.” comfort Yongbae. Jiyong look over him.

“Is it really okay? How about both of you?” asked Jiyong with concern.

“It’s okay with me.” said Yongbae. Soo Hyuk looks at them and release a sigh.

“It’s up to you guys.” answered Soo Hyuk while shrugged his shoulder and three of them heading back to their office together without proper lunch that afternoon.