Could it be just us?...

That Words...

“Hello.”

“Hello. Hey Yongbae ah. It’s been awhile. How are you? Everything fine there?”

“aah..Seungri ya. I’ve been great. What about you? Have you been hired?”

“Mmm..Just started last week. Not something that I want but atleast I’ve got a job. I envy you. It must be very nice to work at the big and developed agency like yours. Can you fit yourself in? How the Japanese people treat you?”

“There are all such a kind people, but tell you the truth my company is Korean. So, I don’t feel left behind. And you know what?…miracle might happened.”

“What is it? Tell me..”

“I met him.”

“Who? Don’t tell me you’re already met Jiyong?”

“Hmm…It’s him.”

“REALLY?!!! Where? When? How?”

“I still can’t believed that we work at the same company.”

“Oh my God. Is he still recognize you? How is he? You must be very happy. No wonder you didn’t call me earlier.”

“Naahh..I just met him. He looks great, as usual. and he still friendly like he always be. Happy? of course I am…huh..”

“Yongbae ya….but your voice doesn’t seem that way. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Maybe everything happened so sudden, so I’m not fully ready to accept the reality.”

“Why? That was something that you always pray for, wasn’t it? You should accept it with light hearted. Or did he treat you coldly? Or he pretend like you two never been close before?”

“It’s not like that. He treats me well, but something keep bothering me..emph..I don’t know why I should feel like this.”

“Maybe because both of you have been separated for a long time, so you feel a bit awkward with him. Nevermind, I believed that feeling will vanished when you two get along.”

“Yeah..maybe you’re right.”

“Don’t worry too much. Everything gonna be ok. Send my regards to him. I don’t know whether he still remember me, but just do it…hahahaha..”

“I will. Ok Seungri ya. I have to end it now. I will call you back later. Congrats on your new job and send my regards to Yuri also. Take care. Bye.”

“You too, take care. Bye.”

Yongbae ended the call. He throw his sight to the city below him without notice that someone keep looking at him from behind.

“Are you finished talking?” asked that person makes Yongbae startled in shocked. He turn around and found out Jiyong is lean against the wall while folding his arms. Their eyes meeting with each other but no word is coming from both of them. Jiyong walks towards Yongbae when realized that Yongbae just stand freeze on his spot.

“Sorry I’m coming without told. Did I interrupt you?” asked Jiyong when he reached beside Yongbae.

Yongbae stay silent. His eyes never leave Jiyong. “When did he came? Did he heard what I’ve said just now? What I’m going to do?” Youngbae’s mind busily thinking.

“I search for you at the office after returned from the meeting, because I thought you will be working late, but you’ve already gone. So I’ve decided to come here. You said I can come whenever I want. Sorry if I had surprised you.” explained Jiyong in worries if his present makes Yongbae uncomfortable.

“Hey..Just keep your sorry. There is nothing to be sorry for. I just feel a bit surprised because I don’t know that you were here. How long have you been standing there?” replied Yongbae and curving a smile on his lips.

“Not very long. Seems like you were having serious conversation, that is why I don’t bark in. But, with whom did you talked to until you don’t noticed that I came in? Your girl friend?” asked Jiyong try to teased but Yongbae could see that Jiyong forcing his smile.

“Ohooo..Now you make fun of me because I don’t have anyone?” asked Yongbae and grit his teeth while his arm linking around Jiyong’s shoulder and they both cannot hold themselves and burst into laughter.

 

Jiyong decided to sleep over at Yongbae’s place again that night when Yongbae asked him to teach Japanese. He cannot agreed more when it comes to something that he miss the most, spending their time together like they did in the past. He thought that is the only way they can reclaimed the time that they had lost while they were separated before. As for Yongbae, seeing warm smile from Jiyong had lighten back his life, which once had been filled with remorse since the day that Jiyong left. “Reunite with this person is such a bless.” thought Yongbae while looking at Jiyong anticipatedly until Soo Hyuk image poke his mind. That heavy feeling start to burden his heart. That is one reason why he didn’t stay back at the office today, because everything about them concerned him the most. Yongbae glance towards Jiyong who is sitting next to him. That person is busy writing something in Japanese to fulfil Yongbae’s wish.

 

“Erhem…Jiyong ah, can I ask you something?” asked Yongbae in croaky voice.

Jiyong head up and looking directly towards his best friend. “What is it?” he asked in confused when notice the seriousness on Yongbae’s face.

“About us,…. should I keep it as a secret? Should I just pretending like  we aren’t close? If you want me to act like that, just tell me earlier, so that I will control myself. I understand the gap between us now. We are no longer in the same class or the same level. I know that you are my superior now, maybe it seems inappropriate if I address you informally in front of others. If you tell me earlier, I won’t…”

“Stop it!!! Why are you being like this? Did I said something?” asked Jiyong try to hold his anger. Yongbae’s words really hurt him.“What gap? What level? Did you think that is matter to me? I’m your superior…so what? Can’t we be friend? Who said that we can only be friend with people at the same level? I thought you know me well. How could you think like that?” his voice raising up still can’t believe what he just heard from his best friend.

“But, it seems like you want to hide it..today…during lunch hour..” said Yongbae in a low voice. He cannot express what he really want to say. He knows that it’s nothing to do with the superiority. He just curious about Jiyong and Soo Hyuk relationship. Everything that happened during lunch hour keep barking his mind. But there is no way he will ask it directly at Jiyong. His words just hanging like that while his eyes keeps staring at Jiyong who is looking at him in sadness.”Yeah…Who am I to care about them? We are just a friend. Whatever relationship that they hold into is nothing to do with me. Why should I be sensitive? I’m the one who let him go. No matter how close we are, I have no right to decide with whom he should be together. But still, my heart hurt so much.” thought Yongbae silently.

“I’m sorry Jiyong ah. Maybe I’ve gone too far. Just forget what I’ve said.” Yongbae stand up and heading to the bathroom. He drenched his face with the cold water try to calm himself. He look at himself in the mirror. “If we never been apart before, will I’m still his only friend? I still can’t accept knowing that he has been close with someone else. Feels like my existance doesn’t mean anything to him. Doesn’t matter if I’m here or not, he will be ok no matter what.” Yongbae inhaled a deep breath. No matter how much water that he splashed on his face, his sadness won’t go away and his silent tears keep running along with the water that drop from his face.

“Yongbae ah...are you ok?” Jiyong knocking the door, waiting patiently outside the bathroom door. This is not what he expecting when he decided to come to that place before. Since Soo Hyuk mention about the things that bothered Yongbae earlier, his mind keep thinking about it. That is why he searched for him right after he return from the meeting, wish to know the truth. But now, seeing an awkward atmosphere makes him really worry. He waited their reunion for so long and he doesn’t want anything to destroy their friendship once again. “Yongbae ah…don’t makes me worry.” he said, still trying.

Yongbae slowly open the door. He standing silently facing towards Jiyong. He could see the worries on Jiyong’s face, so that his lips has been forced to smile.

“Sorry, I have an upset stomach. Don’t stand here, you could smell something.” said Yongbae and quickly pull Jiyong towards the living room. Jiyong a bit confuse but still follows Yongbae along.

“What happened?” Jiyong can’t hold his curiosity and look at Yongbae in confused.

“Maybe because I ate late during lunch hour earlier.” answered Yongbae.

“No, I mean…ah..nevermind.” said Jiyong. He knows that Yongbae just try to change the topic. “I’ve told you don’t skip your lunch. Eat on time, sleep on time.” added Jiyong try to cope with Yongbae’s words.

“Ok, Ok…whatever.” said Yongbae and just chuckled behind Jiyong. Jiyong can’t do anything accept smiling widely looking at his best friend.

 

*******************************

“How’s your stomach? Is it ok?” asked Jiyong when they lied down on the bed.

“Hmm..getting better.” replied Yongbae. “Sorry for bothering you. It’s already late. Let’s sleep. If not, you will hardly wake up again tomorrow.” said Yongbae and turn his body showing his back to Jiyong. He try to close his eyes, wish to forget everything but his heart still can’t settle down. The curiosity is killing him, but he can’t say anything to comfim it. He doesn’t want Jiyong to get him wrong.

“Yongbae….” Jiyong turn to face Yongbae’s back. “Did something bothering you? You’re not like yourself. It seems unusual. Did I’ve done something wrong?” asked Jiyong. He really concerned when Yongbae treats him different from how he always do.

“It’s nothing….” said Yongbae and slowly open his eyes looking at the wall in front of him.

“Yongbae ah..I’m sorry for left you alone during lunch hour ealier. I don’t know what actually happened. When I think of it, I shouldn’t walk away just like that. That makes me feels uneasy.” Jiyong honestly confessed.

“It’s ok, you’ve got me take away, right?” replied Yongbae.

“But still…. the guilt never leave me away.” said Jiyong.

Yongbae turn back to face Jiyong. The close gap makes their heartbeats skip for awhile. Jiyong move aside to losen the gap.

“You know what? I don’t feel bad because I was eating alone. But, the way you react when Soo Hyuk asked you whether we’ve known each other before, its somehow had hurt me a bit. It’s like you want to hide it from him. That is why I asked earlier, should I pretend that I don’t know you? Should I build some gap between me and you when we’re in the office? Should I just act like a worker rather than a bestfriend?” asked Yongbae direct. He couldn’t hold his feeling anymore. He need to know the truth.

“So, that is the thing that bothering you, right?” asked Jiyong. “Like I said, I don’t know what actually happened that time, I really confused how should I react. Soo Hyuk and I always together since we were in university. Eating together like a must. That time I really don’t know if he will accept if you joint us…but rather than thinking about him, the thing that I more concern is about you. As you can see, Soo Hyuk always linking his arm around me. That’s how he is from the moment I saw him. Teasing, touching, hugging..that’s all his style. I’m afraid if you will feel uncomfortable seeing those thing. I still remember how you hate that thing so much. Sorry if my reaction had hurt you. But I really don’t know what should I do. My mind went blank, cannot think straight. It is not that I pretend that we weren’t close.” explained Jiyong. “And don’t worry, Soo Hyuk already know about us.” he added while looking at Yongbae.

Yongbae stumble inside. He lost his words. The guilty feeling start to linger his heart. He knows that he had been acted strangely without knowing the truth.

“Yongbae ah. After what we had been through, meeting again with you makes me really grateful. Its like I’ve been given another chance to get close to you once again. That is why, I’m afraid if I could do the same mistake again. I don’t want you to have bad impression in me.” said Jiyong calmly.

Yongbae gazing his bestfriend who laid next to him. That concern look from Jiyong touch his heart. “I’m sorry Jiyong ah. Sorry for making such a fuss. I shouldn’t have to throw that attitude towards you when I’m know nothing.” he admit.

“It’s ok. We are both at fault. If I explained earlier this thing will not getting worse. And you, don’t make your own assumption before asking me anything. Just ask if you curious.” said Jiyong.

Nothing could be said rather than nodding his head and exchange their smile.

“Let’s sleep. Good night.” Yongbae tapping Jiyong’s shoulder and they both shut their eyes close releasing it from the hectic day.