finale

#idiot

finale


 

“wonwoo?”

“hm?” wonwoo nodded before he stopped in his tracks and looked down at junhui, who was knelt down on one knee in front of him with a small smile on his lips. he cleared his throat a little and ran his fingers through his hair before exhaling shakily and meeting wonwoo’s eyes again.

“i have to ask you something.”

“would you.. tie your shoelaces once in a while?”

wonwoo blinked, not having expected junhui to say anything close to that as he sheepishly laughed and watched his loose laces being tied again before the other boy stood up again and pressed a finger to wonwoo’s forehead. “you’re so absentminded sometimes, you know?”

“i was wondering why my shoe didn’t feel as tight as it should,” wonwoo rubbed as his nape as they continued to walk. “and yah, you made it seem like you were going to ask some question that would make me either depressed or really happy. how dare you.”

“it’s fun scaring you.”

“don’t you have any other methods of attaining happiness that’s not through my flaws?”

junhui laughed softly, “cute.”

wonwoo looked elsewhere as he tried to hide the small smile that painted his lips. he always found himself smiling a lot when he was with the other, and it was no surprise that this wasn’t any different from any other time.

“but really, i do have to ask you something,” junhui murmured as they walked into a pizza shop for lunch that warm summer day, leading them toward a booth situated next to the window to give them a view of one of the university students playing the guitar for a small crowd not too far from them.

“hm? go ahead.”

“what’s.. the one thing you really like about me?”

wonwoo paused as his eyes stayed on the brunette who cleanly pulled off the white snapback he had on, gaze staying on junhui as he drowned in his thoughts before collecting an answer from below and resurfacing with it.

“how caring you are,” wonwoo nodded.

“is that a charming thing?”

“completely. i mean, you may be a at times but you still show that you care most of the time. you also show how much you care too.”

“true, true,” junhui hummed as he leaned back against the chair with his arms folded. “let me ask you this. if there was someone out there who cared about you way more than i did, would you believe it?”

“well, my parents…”

“wonwoo.”

“kidding. i.. i don’t know. i might? it depends on who it is and what they’re like, really.”

“interesting… so let’s say there is, right?”

wonwoo blinked. where was junhui going with this?

“alright, let’s say.”

“let’s say this said person—boy or girl, whatever you want to imagine—has been by your side for a long.. long time? and you’ve had a good history with them that’s still being written to this day?”

“is there something you know that i don’t?”

junhui found himself chuckling at the absurdity of the question, but he nonetheless brushed it off and ordered the two of them pepperoni pizza when the waiter walked over to them, attention back on the black haired boy who just looked at him in a small daze.

“hypothetically.”

“well…” wonwoo frowned in though. “well then i would have to first find them and then talk to them and then maybe i’d find an interest in them or something.”

“and what if they had an interest in you?”

“… i would ask what took them so ing long to just tell me.”

“uh-huh…”

wonwoo didn’t dig deeper into the conversation, only answering what junhui asked of him with a simple, honest mind as he played with his fingers on the table. he didn’t pay mind the way junhui observed him, from the little actions he did to how he was reacting to the whole situation. it was only a spur of the moment where junhui was curious, and wonwoo didn’t dare think about the fact that there was only one person who could really fit in his mind that junhui could be referring to.

 

before mingyu’s burst of energy caused him to stand up, his phone began to ring, causing him to sit back once more and pick the call up.

“mingyu, are you busy?” an all too hastened jihoon asked.

“not really—” mingyu started.

“great! come to the studio right now!”

jihoon hung up without further explaining himself, leaving mingyu slightly confused. he would of put it off, but when jihoon sounded this stressed, he knew he had to attend to him first.

wonwoo could wait.

two hours later after getting himself ready, mingyu walked into the music department and headed straight to the fourth floor where he knew he would find jihoon. the call was on such short notice, but he really did reason out that seeing his bestfriend can wait since he had all the time in the world to.

upon arrival, he was met with the backs of the familiar kwon soonyoung seated next to lee jihoon, the two of them all huddled up together and working on some lyrics for one of the showcase songs. it was a pleasant sight for mingyu, knowing that the two hadn’t noticed that he had walked in as they continued their composing in all seriousness. at least.. that’s what it sounded like until the few quiet steps that mingyu took to listen in on their genius words only resulted in a conversation about what sounded like… their date?

“you guys went on a date?”

jihoon vocally freaked the out as he sent he pencil flying, soonyoung sitting back in his chair with bewildered eyes at the presence of mingyu as he gripped the arms of the seat from almost falling over and held onto jihoon to preventing from falling over as well. the three of them looked between each other, mingyu in a muted state as the other two hung parted and closed their lips a few times as if to construct the same story.

it didn’t work out when the first few words soonyoung said were “we were just plotting lyrical ideas” and jihoon’s were “we were discussing this really great drama” as the two looked at each other and felt a slight warmth settle on their cheeks.

“how long has it been?” mingyu snorted toward jihoon, who could only murmur a soft “three months” while looking at the fascinating words that were on the paper.

mingyu next looked over at soonyoung, who met his eyes almost immediately as mingyu smiled fondly at him. “you’ve got yourself the cutest lil , soonyoung. hopefully he doesn’t always do aegyo for things.”

“actually… he does.”

“SOONYOUNG.”

“let me tell you,” soonyoung began as mingyu pulled up a chair to listen intently to the other. “he does it for anything he wants. anything! it’s really cute but then again he just breaks me down and i just try to be really manly and assertive with him but what the ? he won’t let me? i’m just left here to say yes to him like?”

“that is not at all true, mister kwon,” jihoon growled as he kicked his legs up to rest them across soonyoung’s lap from where he was seated. “you’re just weak around me~.”

“whatever.”

“my god,” mingyu laughed as he leaned back against the chair. “you guys are perfect for each other.”

“i know right?” jihoon chuckled, and mingyu didn’t miss the small look he gave his boyfriend before he straightened up in his seat. “anyway, we just need.. a little more inspiration from you before we can finish up with this song. sounds good?”

mingyu nodded and wiggled in his seat as he waited for jihoon and soonyoung to prepare themselves with a pencil and their notebooks.

“alright, mister kim. this shouldn’t take long. i just need the feel of this songs to be more… more than what it is now.” jihoon stated and glanced down at the prepared questions after receiving an affirmation from mingyu.

“how would you feel like if you had to confess to someone?”

“i.. are you guys forgetting that i have amber.. who i just broke up with like a few hours ago.”

“…” jihoon looked like he had a million questions to ask, and the smile on his lips contrasted the atmosphere that was supposed to be set, but he shook it off and tapped on the thick stack of papers on his lap. “don’t distract me like that! but. you’re gonna have to share the deets on that, mister. anyway, despite amber, if you just had to confess to someone, how would you feel?”

“well… i would have a lot of thoughts about that person, you know? it’s kind of like ‘wow, you are intriguing me in the simplest way and now you’re always on my mind’. i’d have a lot to tell them too, from the way they look to what’s beautiful, or handsome, about their personality.”

“good, good… okay. would you be clumsy about your feelings?”

“i feel like i’d be a complete dork to them.”

“would you always support them?”

“i’d give them a spot next to me and a shoulder to cry on and we can suffer through the pain with them. i’d probably also be a supportive boyfriend and always cheer them on as well.”

“through what means would you go through to show your admiration for them?”

“i don’t know… i’m not too much of a casanova, so i’m not too keen on the romantic aspect of the world, but.. maybe i’d sing to them or something? that’s not too cliché…”

“alright and one more question. are you going to tell everyone that soonyoung and i are dating?”

“hell ing yeah i am.”

 

“from what mingyu’s told me, apparently they’ve kissed before.”

jihoon almost sputtered the alcohol out of his mouth. “what?!”

minghao nodded, “yeah, they have. mingyu was sad about it though, something about amber killing him and wonwoo having an eye on someone else.”

“when was this?”

one year ago in 2015. mingyu’s birthday was the highlight of the week that wonwoo was looking for as he was last minute shopping for a present for his bestfriend. it was the first time he didn’t con mingyu into telling him what he wanted, even though he immediately regretted the decision that he made the moment he walked into the mall blank minded and unable to formulate a plan.

he was pretty much ed.

after a few phone calls to mingyu’s younger sister, who was of no help at all and only wanted to stay on the phone to listen to wonwoo’s amazing voice, and endless walking from corner to corner of the mall, wonwoo finally purchased a worthy present for the other after three hours of desperately searching for something that would suit his style.

from this moment on, he vowed to always con mingyu into telling him what he wanted.

he walked out of the building with the sun deciding to retire for the day, painting purples and pinks in the sky to commence the coming of the moon as he threw himself into the car with the prepared gift and headed back toward his house. graduation was only a month away, and he couldn’t wait for him and mingyu to finally move out from under the roof of their parent’s houses and live on their own together. it was always in talks that this would happen since they’d be going to the same university regardless, and it was exciting to think about living with his bestfriend for the next few years, if not more.

there was something that felt off when wonwoo walked up the steps of mingyu’s house, seeing that the light of his room was already on. why was mingyu in his room? didn’t he say he’s wait before binging out the alcohol in there? didn’t he say he’s wait downstairs for me before cutting the cake? whatever the reason was, wonwoo’s intuition didn’t do him too well as he welcomed himself into the familiarity of the kim residency, greeting mingyu’s younger sister—who still begged and whined to hear wonwoo talk more the more he stayed mute toward her—before slipping up the box with a neatly decorated gift bag in his hand.

it was too quiet in the upstairs hallway, wonwoo immediately noticed as he reached the top stair. he looked down the corridor, knowing that to the left was the bathroom and his dongsaeng’s room, and a game room and mingyu’s bedroom on the right. taking slow and cautious steps along the carpet, wonwoo’s eyes were glued to the closed door at the end of the hall, and that’s when he heard it.

there was definitely someone else in the bedroom with mingyu.

what wonwoo did not expect to see upon walking in with no notice was mingyu’s arms wrapped around another boy’s neck, legs wrapped around their waist as well and an absence of space between their lips, soft sounds emitting from their lip locked actions on mingyu’s bed.

wonwoo stood there, blinking at first at the way mingyu’s fingers coursed through and tugged at the ends of the other male and how he felt his heart sink when the small utter of ‘seungcheol…’ came from between them.

it wasn’t like this was the first time wonwoo had caught them, but there was just something about mingyu and his alleged boyfriend (wonwoo still had high doubts and problems with this boy, and he could never mean it when he said he was okay with mingyu being with him) spilling soft breaths and clinging onto each other more and more on the same bed he had slept on with mingyu for years on end that really agitated him.

the grip on the gift bag that wonwoo held tightened, ignoring the fact that his nails were denting his palm as he happened to catch seungcheol’s gaze, the sight utterly disgusting at how accomplished and pretty much content seungcheol felt for making wonwoo feel this way as he shamelessly deepened the connection in front of wonwoo to tug out a small moan between them.

wonwoo was infuriated.

somewhere within those few seconds, mingyu felt an off balance in the atmosphere as he pulled away from seungcheol with red lips, wondering why his gaze was elsewhere and following it to the figure standing at the frame of the door.

“w-wonwoo!” mingyu stuttered half in shock at the appearance of him and half completely drunk, the way he seemed far from being sober automatically caught by wonwoo as he scrambled off of seungcheol and sat against the wall trying to compose himself by fixing up his hair and wearing a small smile on his lips.

“i thought you were waiting for me to cut the cake?” wonwoo frowned.

“seungcheol.. he brought some chardonnay and.. i guess I drank too much, and he was just being his usual flirty self and all that and.. don’t be mad.”

seungcheol snorted as he sat up and on the edge of the bed. “why are you apologizing, baby?”

oh what wonwoo would do to cut off that tongue of seungcheol’s curling such a pet name around his tongue for mingyu.

nonetheless, seungcheol continued while maintaining the intense eye contact between himself and wonwoo. “it’s not like you’re dating him. you’re dating me. you have every right to your actions and what you decide to do and not do.”

“my , seungcheol, when are you ever going to stop talking for mingyu?” wonwoo rolled his eyes, triggering seungcheol to calmly shrug his shoulders as he stood up and brushed past wonwoo, muttering the word ‘bathroom’ before disappearing from the scene.

“l-look, i can explain,” mingyu began but was stopped by wonwoo raising his empty palm up, walking over to mingyu and plopping down next to him and setting the gift bag on his lap.

“it’s fine, mingyu. i guess it was my fault for coming in later than i was supposed to. anyway, happy birthday,” wonwoo smiled at mingyu. “i.. got you some hba and pyrex gear for you. maybe even a café gift card or two? don’t ask how much i spent and try to repay me because—”

maybe it was because of how sweetly intoxicated he was; maybe it was from the way wonwoo’s words slipped out so smoothly and caressed his ears like a blessing from above; maybe it was the fact that his eyes solely focused on the shapes his lips made with every word, the flash of his pearly whites, and the small smile that tugged at his lips from how shy and nervous he must have felt for bringing him a gift all on his own.

maybe it was simply the fact that it was wonwoo and there was a craving that mingyu just had to fulfill and a question that needed a physical answer as mingyu pulled the older closer to him and shut him up with a firm press of his lips against wonwoo’s.

though mingyu was reeking of heavy vanilla alcohol, it didn’t make the moment any more awkward or warding as wonwoo stared at mingyu with wide and surprised eyes, the initiator unwilling to pull away as his eyes slowly fluttered close to avoid the small feeling that started to crawl up his spine. wonwoo, on the other hand, took a while to process the feeling that replaced the extreme jealousy that sunk his heart as he felt his heart resurface with a new sensation of comfort as he as well felt his eyes fall close.

slowly, mingyu initiated a slow movement between their lips that wonwoo picked up on, following the careful pace between them as wonwoo leaned closer to gain a deeper press against mingyu’s perfect lips. in all honesty, he had thought about what it felt like to kiss his bestfriend, and it was always in a joking manner, but the actual action of having mingyu so close to him, breaths mingling in the small space set between their lips as the actions turned deeper, more romantic, just everything soft that they could fit in.

the moment didn’t last long, mingyu slowly pulling away from the sweetness of wonwoo’s lips and keeping his gaze on them before it flicked up to meet wonwoo’s. there was a spark that ignited between them, an unspoken connection of feelings that suddenly flamed up but was obstructed the moment they heard the bathroom door open.

by the time seungcheol strode back into the bedroom, wonwoo was pouring himself a glass of leftover chardonnay, mingyu admiring the clothing that wonwoo had bought him with a smile across his lips. luckily seungcheol didn’t seem suspicious of the two knowing that wonwoo would never come onto mingyu and mingyu was way too drunk to allow such a thing to occur.

wonwoo glanced over at mingyu to watch him fall into a conversation with his boyfriend, and when mingyu had caught his eye as seungcheol fell into a small monologue, they both shared a small smile toward each other, mingyu’s cheeks slightly tinting at the mere thought of him sharing a kiss with wonwoo for the first time.

they would never admit it to each other at the moment or even in the future, but the gentle kiss that they shared was one of the best memories they have.

that night, at around three am, when his bedroom was cleared from the other guests that came to celebrate in his room, minghao got an earful about how amazing it was to kiss wonwoo and how damn lucky his future significant other would be to have their lips against wonwoo’s.

little did he know that he had the potential of being that significant other.

 

the second year of college was off on a good start for everyone, and the crisp fall air called for students to dawn on their fashionable sweaters and leg warmers as they bustled and made their way to their respective classes, all in talks about their summer vacations and the new professors.

wonwoo and mingyu weren’t any different.

though wonwoo’s engineering department and mingyu’s journalism department were literally separated by the entire campus, they still found time to see each other during their lunch break, still found time to hit the gym and work on shedding mingyu’s build up from their road trip, and still found time to hangout with their friends as well.

the only different thing was the fact that jeonghan wasn’t seen a lot on campus, but the two didn’t pay much mind to it as they received texts from the male who was apparently busier than usual.

the last week of october rolled around quite easily, marking midterm week for the students of seoul national. though midterms aren’t as stressful as finals, the population still filled up the libraries to study for the grade determining test, some at leisure and others at a panicked rush. there was just something about the college atmosphere that made it a complete norm to follow such study trends when they came around, and it was rather astonishing to watch.

the end of the week was the 29th of october, a day labeled as the first day of freedom after the dreaded midterm week .what better way was there but to destress through jihoon’s showcase? wonwoo and mingyu couldn’t possibly think of any other method of relaxation as they were in their respective rooms getting themselves ready for their good friend’s project. it had been a long year helping jihoon out with the preparations, having played witness to the smaller boy fall asleep with papers all around him and staying up to the odd hours of the nights just writing, scribbling, scratching out and piling up the recycle bin with paper balls.

the two knew that he poured a lot of work into this for it being his first year’s project, and they couldn’t wait to see how their aiding came into play and how jihoon orchestrated the whole show.

wonwoo stood in front of his full length mirror, dawned in a white sweater that had thin blue stripes running across it from the top of his chest downward. the sweater coupled with dark ripped skinny jeans definitely gave off the charming vibe he had in his sense of fashion, messily fixing his dark bangs up before dawning a snapback that mingyu had bought him a few years back just because it suited nicely with the outfit. he clasped a watch on, doused himself in cologne and did some finishing touches on himself before hearing the door click behind him. he didn’t have to turn around to know who it was, but one look at him through the mirror had him mesmerized.

“aren’t you a little too dressed up for the showcase?”

wonwoo’s teasing words were softer than he intended as he turned around to face mingyu. the other boy wore a simple white tee that accentuated his building abs, wearing a grey cardigan on top of it as well as a watch that matched wonwoo’s. his black jeans hugged him in all of the right places, and the fragrance that was coming from him almost made him walk closer to get a good whiff of the scent. his hair was lazily done, fringe shading his brows per usual as it was always a casual hairstyle he resorted to when wanting to look nice but not too nice.

even though mingyu caught wonwoo staring, and mingyu’s eyes quickly checked wonwoo out, they never complement each other in fear of saying something stupid and causing another awkward moment among themselves.

“aren’t you a little too dressed for a commercial, jeon?”

“shut up.”

mingyu chuckled softly, the grin on his lips widening at the sight of the hat on his head before he hummed softly and stuffed his hands into his pockets. “are you ready to go? remember we have to pick jeonghan up from that one company building.”

wonwoo nodded as he spun the set of keys around his fingers to indicate that he was ready, motioning mingyu to follow him as they slipped their shoes on and walked out of the apartment. they fell into a comfortable conversation to the car and on their way to and from picking up the excited yoon jeonghan, all smiles and sharing good, playful vibes to brighten up the mood even more than it already was.

jeonghan hated to admit this, but even he could see the good changes between wonwoo and mingyu as he sat in the back and watched their interaction with a knowing smile.

upon arriving at the concert hall venue, the three friends walked up to the front row and found their reserved seats. it was cute of jihoon to make name cards for them, each of them personalized for the intended person. jihoon never failed to make them smile even at a time like this.

jeonghan was seated next to wonwoo, who was next to mingyu, and to their surprise, amber and hansol also had reserved seats aside mingyu. jeonghan questioned the one that read luna, and mingyu could only smile and tell him to wait and see just who luna was to them.

“so many people came to this,” wonwoo noticed as he looked around behind him to the hall quickly filling up with college students as well as families who heard about the free event.

“what, did you expect all of this hard work only to be showcased to his close friends?” mingyu teased, having earned a small punch in the arm from the other.

“did you really think that, wonwoo?” jeonghan chuckled.

“of course not! i’ve never been to these kinds of things so i don’t know what to expect.”

“just shut up and cheer jihoon on, will you?” mingyu grinned and pat wonwoo’s shoulder as he sunk a little in his seat.

had wonwoo been looking up, he would of caught the small smile that jeonghan and mingyu gave each other before they turned back in their seats and busied themselves once more.

jihoon’s showcase almost had a full house as the time for the show to start drew closer and closer, amber, luna and hansol finally arriving and taking their respective seats to mingyu’s left. jeonghan frowned at the fact that amber and luna’s fingers were intertwined, but he suddenly remembered the breakup and disregarded the whole conversation he was about to start with wonwoo on that.

wonwoo caught sight of jihoon peeking from the curtain, giving a small wave and mouthing a word of encouragement as he nodded in acknowledgement and waved to the others that had caught sight of him before disappearing again.

three minutes later, the lights dimmed and lively music began to ring through the hall, causing people to cheer and whoop though wonwoo was thoroughly confused because there was no one on stage. this could give an impression that wonwoo really hasn’t been out as much as mingyu, but it was okay because new experiences were always fun.

a pre-video played with the music taking a decrescendo as the screen displayed lee jihoon talking about what the showcase was for and what he intends to portray with the time he has allotted. he also talked about the help he received though he didn’t mention any names just yet, and wonwoo could of sworn he heard some whispers about how adorable jihoon was on the screen with his bubblegum colored hair. if only they knew that their object of affection was soonyoung’s object of affection.

the video was a bit lengthy, but it wasn’t a bad lengthy since he did go over the agenda and some small lyrical previews of his work, and by popular demand by the camera man (no other than his beloved), it took him a while to finally do some aegyo, causing the female population to squeal in excitement and the males to feel embarrassed on his behalf.

“and now, without further ado, here’s lee jihoon’s carat showcase,” jihoon smiled to the camera and waved before the screen faded to black, the audience falling into a round of applause as the stage lit up. there was a boy who was walking onto the stage with a bright smile, one that seemed to catch everyone’s attention with his huge smile that caused his eyes to form slits, and his impeccable fashion sense seemed to be his best aesthetic as he dawned white jeans, a simple black top and a plaid shirt that all made him look taller than he already was.

“well i hope you enjoyed lee jihoon embarrassing himself tonight, am i right?” the male excitedly spoke into the microphone as he continued to wave at the roar of applause that still hadn’t died down. “as many of you may not know, i feel honored to be here mc-ing for such a wonderful and talented boy. did you know that we were childhood friends? oh the embarrassing things i could tell you about him… but, he really did work hard for tonight and he should receive the spotlight, no?”

the crowd replied eagerly as he smiled brighter, if humanely possible.

“oh, silly me, i forgot to introduce myself! for those of you who really don’t know, i’m lee seokmin. choose to remember it or not, but you’ll be seeing a lot of me anyway throughout the night. how about we get this show on the road!”

another cue from the audience got him chuckling as he paced on the stage.

“now… we want to start up with something hype and exciting. i know all of us just finished with the dreaded midterm week and we’re just so done with this half of school, so let’s all get hyped up to this catchy tune, ‘shining diamond!’”

as seokmin walked off of the stage, the beginning of the song began to play, a few dancers coming onto the stage with charisma galore as the female population seemed to be extremely intrigued by the all male dance line led by choreographer soonyoung. the beat of the song got the crowd to clap, wonwoo finding himself clasping as well as he dawned a small smile onto his lips at how unified everyone was.

one the verse started, there was a wave of screams coming from behind at how flawless the five dancers were on stage and the aura of perfection that practically made them glow. wonwoo and mingyu spotted minghao among the dancers, cheering him on as he performed his break dancing solo. minghao was pretty sure he won the hearts of some of the college kids from how cute and adorable he was coupled with the amazing dance skills he set forth.

mingyu was astonished.

as the song came to an end, seokmin jogged to the middle of the stage and greeted the dancers who were bowing to the audience, complementing them as they headed off back stage as the mc took over the stage again.

“wow! wasn’t that exciting? (he paused to hear the agreement of the others.) how, as you just saw, jihoon wasn’t out here to sing what he composed. that’s how most of the show will be like. he may appear. he might now. who knows? anywho, let’s give it up for the performance unit! (there was an encore of applause for them, seokmin looking back to see a proud soonyoung meeting his eyes with a silent exchange of congratulations) midterms are over and now… what’s next? is anyone just looking to have a good time? maybe chill to some tunes? jihoon’s been working on a variety of genres, and i think you guys might like this next one. now.. i just need some crowd cooperation for a second. you ready? when i say ‘ah’, you say ‘yeah’! ah! (yeah!) ah! (yeah!) wow… you guys are ready for it, huh? here’s jihoon’s next track, ‘ah yeah!’”

wonwoo couldn’t help but to feel kind of silly for participating in the little chant, but mingyu was so enthusiastic about it and it was infectious. he sat up in his seat, jaw dropping at the dope (as wonwoo categorized it in his mind) beat that began to play. this time it was a lyric video as everyone followed the words on the screen, and wonwoo had a little more confidence in himself as he found his voice mixing in with everyone else’s, especially at the ‘aaaaaaah yeah!’ parts.

nonetheless, the rest of jihoon’s showcase was a blast for everyone alike, from the pop tune of ‘jam jam’ which featured the performance team once more to the softer tune of ‘20’ performed by a few select students of the school’s varsity choir and every little special track in between. the experience was such a feel good time, and wonwoo was completely speechless at all of the work that was put into this thus far by jihoon.

“hey, i’ll be right back,” mingyu murmured into wonwoo’s ear as seokmin came back onto the stage to start a small game with the audience members. almost two hours of fun had already passed and wonwoo was so enthralled about every little thing that happened on the flashy stage. he never knew that concerts were this fun—well, in this case showcases, but he supposed that they could be interchangeable.

“now this last song is a little special,” seokmin finally said after awarding the winners of the games—lee chan and hansol during a mini freestyle dance and rap contest—a sad expression slightly painting his face, “it will also be the last song of the night.”

the crowd groaned sadly at the rapidly approaching coming to the end of the night, though the tone changed into a gleeful cheer when jihoon walked onto stage with a guitar in his hand toward the set up stool that was next to seokmin.

“oh so you guys are excited now, huh. here he is, in the flesh, lee jihoon!”

jihoon waved and waved… and waved at the endless applause that came with the composer and lyricist himself came forward to take the stage, seokmin setting the microphone on the stand as he gave jihoon a pat on the back before giving the stage to the man of the night.

“hey guys, how’re you doing tonight? (there was an intelligible answer in the form of screams that responded him) and how did you guys like the show? (the answer was the same but louder, causing jihoon’s expression to brighten and his smile to widen) well, like seokmin said, this song is a little more special than the others. i got the most inspiration for this song than any of the others, so it really touches home on a personal level. (he begins to strum the unidentified song on his guitar, words continuing to come out of his lips as well) but before i  get on with it, there’s a little something i want to play first.”

jihoon continued the repetitious chords while swaying a little to the side, playing it as back ground music as a voice began to speak from the speakers.

i just can’t get him out of my head right now and i don’t know why.

wonwoo’s ears perked at the familiarity of the voice.

he’s always there just smiling at me and making me feel all of these weird things and i could never bring it to myself to acknowledge them because.. he’s my bestfriend. he’s like my brother. we’ve done everything together and we’ve shared so many things and.. and.. i guess that can explain why he’s always on my mind lately but i feel like it’s so much d-deeper than that… it really can’t be just the fact that he’s on my mind that he’s making me feel this way.

“yah, wonwoo, is this you?” jeonghan nudged and whispered, though wonwoo was in his own world as he sat there listening to the monologue.

his.. his smile and his nose and his chin and his nice skin and.. it’s all coming to me and he looks so perfect in my mind right now. i could just.. reach out.. and touch him.. kiss him.. just hold him and tell him he’s the most ing precious thing in the world to me. if he had to be with anyone, it would be me, right? 

wonwoo gulped.

right?

the audio ended there, causing low murmurs to spread like wildfire at the sudden confession that was played through the speakers. everyone else was confused as to who the voice belonged to or what it meant or maybe it had to do with the concept of the song.

everyone except wonwoo.

i feel weird, i’m not talking as much.
my friends are all worried these days.

the sound of live vocals singing along to the tune caused everyone to look around to see where it was coming from, before some pointed out that there was a boy walking onto the stage toward jihoon with a spotlight on him as he also got a roar of cheers for appearing on stage.

wonwoo’s jaw dropped at who it was.

my heart races only when i’m in front of you,
so i’m sorry about my clumsy actions.

jihoon smiled at the singer’s rich tone, glad that he was able to work with the person for this song specifically as he seemed to be getting a lot of positive feedback from the audience.

wonwoo was still in awe.

i still can’t control it.
please don’t play with me.
why are you keeping a front?
i don’t know, i don’t know what will happen.

even though it was an acoustic version, the melody still played out well as the cheers mostly came from the girls who seemed to have fallen for the handsome charms of the singer, though the singer’s attention was solely on jeon wonwoo, eyes meeting his as he sang the next verse with a smile.

so what i mean is, i want to know all of you.
i’ll sing you, u hoo~ i’ll sing you, u hoo~.
even if my lips are dry, I need to say this, baby.
i adore you, i adore you, enough to get dizzy.
adore you.

wonwoo’s smile grew unconsciously as he found it hard to hide, blinking when the singer held a hand out to invite him on stage. he was frozen in his seat, but one push from amber and jeonghan sent him stumbling onto his feet and off to the side to climb the stairs and join him and jihoon on stage, racking up all of the screaming from the proclaimed fangirls that wonwoo got the opportunity to be on stage.

though, to the first row, it only made logical sense that it was wonwoo.

how can you dazzle so much?
you’re so pretty; it’s selfish but your personality is so humble.

the lyrics made wonwoo snort softly though they were cute nonetheless as he continued to listen with cheeks beginning to hurt from his wide smile.

is it because i like how you smile at me?
or do i just seem light to you?

wonwoo was on the verge of bursting as he felt his heart beat louder and faster than normal.

i’m on fire right now because of you.
it’s impossible to cool me down.

wonwoo blinked at the sudden lyrics. he had all of a sudden remembered that that was the promise his bestfriend had made when he asked him to be his friend when they were six years old. the memory didn’t fail to make wonwoo chuckle the lightest as well as the naïve audience.

tell me your feelings;
don’t hold back, it’s not enough.
can’t fake it no more;
crank up the speed.
stop playing hard to get;
now let me call you.
baby you are my angel~.

by this time, wonwoo couldn’t tear his gaze away from the singer, fingers laced through each other’s as jihoon got the amazing front row view of how affectionate the moment was between the two. as the singer slowly trailed off, jihoon’s playing never ceased but only lowered in volume as to allow the moment to continue.

“wonwoo, i’m more than certain that you came in here not knowing that this would happen to you, and i.. well, jihoon and i figured that this was the best way to portray my feelings for you. it’s been an amazing fourteen years being by your side, and i think that i’m the luckiest guy to have such a wonderful friend like you by my side. we are such idiots together, but it’s not bad at all. we’ve just build our friendship on that and look at where we are. we’re still side by side and unwilling to part because of the strong bond between us.”

wonwoo had to bite his lip, unaware of the many, many videos being recorded as all wonwoo’s world consisted of was himself and the man in front of him who lifted his mic again to speak.

“sometimes our moments are.. more than what they seem to be to me. i always find myself craving you, your attention, you beautiful smile, the way you talk and the way you compose yourself. i saw more into our friendship than just you and me. i started to see us as one rather than as two separate entities in the same space. so.. what I’m trying to say through this is that hey idiot. i really adore you.”

the crowd cooed at the moment as wonwoo could barely breathe, being overwhelmed by the confession that was more than he would have ever expected. he let his fingers drop when the singer let go of his hand to pull out a small box, the screen showing what was inside of it as wonwoo personally got a look of the contents.

“these rings.. are not friendship rings. never do i want them to stand for that. i want these rings to become the symbol of us and our affection. so.. will you, wonwoo, be my boyfriend and test out the rest of life with me?”

he set one of the silver bands in wonwoo’s palms, the shorter of the two rendered speechless and the crowd cheered for him to accept the request. wonwoo didn’t know what to do at this point, though. he felt as if this much happiness wasn’t  possible, yet here it was in the palm of his hand, and there it was staring at him with a hopeful smile.

it was the moment of truth as everyone quiet down, wonwoo’s fingers wrapping around the mic to pull it toward him as he took a shaky breath. with a small chuckle and a smile on his face, wonwoo responded,

“i’ll be your boyfriend, mingyu.”

everyone in the hall stood up and congratulated the newly formed couple as jihoon set his guitar down to join with a loud applause. wonwoo slipped the ring down mingyu’s pinky finger, as did mingyu down wonwoo’s pinky, and wonwoo’s happiness caused him to pull the taller male down and engage him in a deep and lingered kiss that only caused an uproar of cheering from everyone else, a different, more upbeat version of ‘adore u’ playing in the background as balloons started to fall from the ceiling.

wonwoo looked up when one landed on his head, chuckling softly at the sight though mingyu frowned at jihoon.

“i told you not to add anything cliché!”

“hey, my showcase, my decisions,” jihoon simply stated.

“it was cute nonetheless, gyu,” wonwoo laughed as he pulled himself against the other in a warm hug, hiding away the smile from how happy he was as he continuously kissed the other’s shoulder, mingyu, hugging him just as tightly and looking out into the audience as they quiet down a bit.

“I’m sorry my boyfriend is like this. he’s a lot shy and probably wants to kill me from pulling him up here.”

the crowds broke into laughter as mingyu waved to them, walking off of the stage with wonwoo still in his arms.

once seokmin jogged back out to do the closing, mingyu led them to a changing room, and the rest of the ten minutes they had were spent with lips slowly moving along each other’s, wonwoo leaned back against the door as he smiled at the fact that mingyu was wearing one of the hba shirts he had received on his birthday as mingyu only pressed himself against wonwoo and poured out every ounce of emotion he could through the connection.

 

“hey, remember when you asked me out during jihoon’s concert?” wonwoo found himself saying one night in december as mingyu had the other’s body in his arms, the two laying in bed together talking about little nothings since they couldn’t sleep.

“oh i remember, and you always remind me every week.”

“do i?” wonwoo murmured?

“, i don’t think i’ve ever seen you think happy. it’s really refreshing,” mingyu softly chuckled as he pressed a soft kiss to wonwoo’s forehead.

“you make me really happy. you always have.”

“you’re so cheesy.”

“that was nothing!”

the two boys burst into a fit of laughter, wonwoo pressing himself more against the familiarity that was mingyu. he had to be honest: he had dreamt about night like these where they just laid in bed in each other’s arms, wondering how it felt like and how he would feel to be in such an embrace. it was nothing short of pleasant for wonwoo, nor for mingyu, and they were just happy that one of them manned up and finally put an end to the obliviousness that was between them.

“hey wonwoo?”

“hm?”

“i love you.”

wonwoo’s smile widened as he captured the other,s chin between his fingers and tilted mingyu’s head down, lingering a soft press of his lips along mingyu’s with a gentle hum of contentment leaving his lips before pulling back to murmur softly.

“i love you too, mingyu.”

 


oh nooooo it's ended! but meanie finally happened! what did you think of mingyu's confession? how would you feel if someone confessed to you like that? like damn, that must've taken so much time for mingyu to learn the song. to learn adore u for wonwoo. aW THAT'S SO CUTE SFKSD:FSDF. anyway! i promised you guys a surprise, right? look forward to another update pretty soon! i have to fly somewhere so i'll try to update and beta this if i find internet. if not, then i have to wait until i get back to my dorm. thank you guys so much for reading this all the way through. tell me your thoughts! should i write more meanie in the future? should i not torture you guys like this again? though i really liked writing something like this because it's frustrating and it keeps you on the edge and reading. thank you again. until next time! xoxo

p.s. tell me if you caught any svt references. i put in quite a lot, but there's a really hard one that i want to see if anyone catches. heh.
p.s.s. have any questions to things that weren't answered in the fic? i'll answer them personally!