Discover

DETRIMENT

Hello..~ sorry havent update for weeks.. got caught up with my assignments.. eheheh.. so here u go~

 


Jaejoong cleaned up the room and stashed away the ripped painting at the corner along with the one that he ruined. He mopped the floor as the paint spilled on the floor due to his rage. Night has long gone and the dawn made its way, waiting for the sun to shine the earth with its warmth. Once cleared, he got out from the room.

“Why are you still awake?” Jaejoong almost hit the culprit who startled him with the mop.

“Can you please don’t do that!”

“Didn’t you hear the door beeping when I punched the code?” Jaejoong shook his head.

“How’s your un- .. I mean Uncle Jinu?” 

“He was stabbed severally in the stomach and lost a lot of blood. But now he’s stable and moved to another ward. Still unconscious though. The doctor need to do further check up on him. The police came and asked questions but we weren’t that helpful. I’ve no idea who did this to him. Who wants to hurt him? The guy who called for ambulance wasn’t there too. So far the police have no lead, not even the weapon.”

Jaejoong hugged the latter when the man was about to burst into tears. Caressing his back to calm him without saying anything. After half an hour they were hugging, Jaejoong pulled him softly to the bedroom. 

“Let’s get some rest,”

“Jaejoong-ah, what time we need to go to the orphanage? Mom and Dad said that they can’t come with us today. Though they’d love to go, they want to take care of Uncle Jinu first.”

“What about you? You want to stay with him too, isn’t it?” Yunho bit his lips. Jaejoong know him too well.

“You don’t have to come with me. I’ll just ask Junsu and Changmin to accompany me,”

“But-”

“No buts. It’s Sunday and they have nothing better to do anyway,” Yunho smiled. They both lying on the bed; trying to rest their body and mind from the tiring reality.

*****

Yunho just finished his light meal for lunch at home; after Yoochun pestered him to go back and freshen up himself before coming back to visit Jinu. It had been a week and there wasn’t any progress on the case nor his uncle. No one was at home as his husband went to the orphanage with his dongsaengs to do the volunteer work - again. After doing the dishes, he went into the bedroom to change his clothes. He opened the drawer of his closet and grabbed a light blue tee to match with his dark blue jeans. Usually, Jaejoong prepare his clothes and put it on the bed. Yunho protested in the beginning but Jaejoong insist to do it. He reasoned that it was out of habit that he had since he lived with the Kims. Yunho finally gave in; talking about being spoiled. As he took out the shirt, he saw a small envelope hidden under the pile of clothes. He opened it and hold it upside down so that the content slide down onto his palm. He gasped in surprised when the item lying on his hand.

*****

Junsu agreed to help his brother when the man gave him a call. Unfortunately, Changmin can’t join them this week as he had to finish a group assignment with his groupmates. Changmin is still studying and work in Jaejoong’s bookstore as a part-timer. The sun started to set when both men returned to the empty apartment. Jaejoong guessed Yunho still at the hospital. They bought some groceries for dinner along the way home as Jaejoong promised to treat his brother as a return for his help. Junsu was about to sort the groceries when a hand swat his hand away.

“Go and sit tight in the living room. I can handle this. Shoo shoo!”

“I’ll help,” but Jaejoong stern looked made him walked away. “On second thought, I’ll just go and watch TV.”

The nice aroma from Jaejoong’s cooking made its way around the house but Junsu was too immersed watching his football match on TV. When his favourite team scored, he shrieked in excitement.

“Kim Junsu! Don’t scream too loud! You’re disturbing the neighbours!” he yelled from the kitchen.

“Told me not to scream but he just did that from the kitchen,” he mumbled to himself.

“And stop criticizing me from there!” Junsu widen his eyes in surprised and wondered if Jaejoong has some kind of super power.

After the match ended, Junsu was bored and decided to tour around the house. He went into the art room that he has always love. When they were kids, he used to accompany Jaejoong painting. He sang for him, chatting with him while Jaejoong painting. The decoration of the room was quite similar with their old one.

He roamed in the room; looking at the paintings one by one. His brother really has the knack for it but the man refused to walk on that path. Jaejoong reasoned that he just want to share the paintings with his family and beloved ones, not for public. Talking about stubbornness no one can beat Jaejoong. Junsu can see a thin layer of dust; indicated that his brother didn’t cleaned it for a while.

He was looking for his favourite painting when his foot trampled on something. He looked down and saw pieces of canvas were on the floor. Beside the scattered pieces, he saw a small canvas facing the wall. He hold it and gave it a good look. The painting showed a bleeding man - perhaps in a living room. The painting looked so real that Junsu thought the man was somewhat seemed familiar.

“You found it. I’m sorry that I broke your favourite painting,” the painting that Junsu held fell as he was startled at the sudden voice.

Jaejoong slowly walked to him and picked it up to put with the damaged one. 

“Why did you broke it? No... It doesn’t look broken but more to being ripped. Why did you do that?” the question halted Jaejoong’s movement. He looked at Junsu and smiled bitterly. 

“I was too overwhelmed,”

“What about that one? The one being... stabbed?”

“Do you recognized the man in the painting?” Junsu was speechless. He felt terrified seeing the look on his brother. It was a foreign look and it seemed ominous. “It is indeed the one in your mind,”

Junsu’s breath hitched. He can’t believe it was his brother’s doing. The kind-hearted brother that he has always admire. Jaejoong took a step forward and Junsu took a step backward. 

“Would you listen to my story at least before hating me?” Jaejoong asked softly. “From where should I start? Your favourite painting or the new one?”

“The very beginning,” Junsu said.


Jaejoong carried the old man back to his bungalow when he found him throwing up in the alley. Yunho wasn’t kidding about the house looks creepy and the nearest neighbour is like 700m away. He put Jinu down on the couch and went to the bathroom to look for something to clean the drunken man. While wiping the sweat on Jinu’s face, the man’s eyes fluttered opened. 

“Oh? Yunho’s pwettey hu.....ben,”

“What did you say, Uncle Jinu?” he fell asleep again.

Jaejoong sighed. He cleaned up the house because the sight of scattered things were not pleasant to his eyes. After he finish doing the task, Jinu woke up and asked for water. Jaejoong went to the kitchen to get it for him.

“You have beautiful eyes,” Jinu said. “Your big eyes remind me of someone. The woman that I loved. While your smile remind me of certain someone that I despised,” Jaejoong stood rooted to the floor. Unsure of what to do. 

“But the funny thing was the woman that I loved married with the person that I hate,”

“Uncle, stop. You’re drunk,” Jaejoong came with a glass. But the old man ignored him.

“If they have a son, he might look just like you. That guy...not only he had my woman, he took the position that I’ve ever dreamed of in the company! That f****** man and his luck! Then, he found out that I stole the company’s money. I went to his house; asking him to let it go just for once. Just for once! But damn! He was so stubborn! You know what I did? What my buddy and I did?” he snorted. 

“He needed to be shut. So we decided to teach him a lesson. My friend had fun beating him up while I had my fun with his wife. I’ve been holding myself pretty well but that night... I didn’t hold it back. If you ever saw the look on his face when I touch her, you’ll be amused! He should know that I’m someone that people wouldn’t want to mess with. At the end, we managed to shut them.. forever!” he laughed with all his heart reminiscing at the memory.

Jaejoong gritted his teeth. He was shaking in anger pretty badly. He wanted to forgive him but hearing those awful words from the man, made him had a second thought. Jinu was obviously didn’t regret his act and boasting about it freely. 

“How can you have fun on people’s suffer? You don’t even sound remorseful,”

“Who say that I am? They weren’t important anyway. Who cares~” he whistled.

The anger that Jaejoong tried to suppress was finally breaking. He took a knife on the small table near the couch; the one he had prepared to cut the fruits and stabbed Jinu’s stomach. Jinu yelped in pain as he looked at the raven with his two eyes almost popped out from its socket. His white suit was tainted with red colour and the smell of blood was slowly filled in the air.

“W-What are - arghhh!” he screamed for the second time when Jaejoong pushed it deeper.

“Have it occur to you that the couple that weren’t important to you was important to somebody else?”

“W-What?”

“ ‘It’s kinda pretty to see the red colour tainted the white clothe, don’t you think?’ Do you remember this sentence?”

“You...”

“No thanks to you I became parentless. You made me an orphan. You took care of your crime pretty well that people didn’t listen to me. A simple burglary. How easy!” his two pool of eyes were b with tears. “You took people’s life out of jealousy. You’re not even a human!”

“J-Jaejoong-ah... we-we can... talk about this,” Jinu tried to talk him out of it.

“Don’t call my name!!”

“Don’t.. do this...” the old man begged which only received a snort from him. 

“You said you loved my mom. But you her! My father begged you to stop. He even begged you for his life. Did you listen? NO!! YOU LAUGHED!” 

Jaejoong were so enraged that he took the knife out and stabbed him several times. The man was passed out and lost a lot of blood. Jaejoong was panting hard when he was finally stopped stabbing Jinu. He wiped the sweat on his forehead and got up. He saw his reflection in the mirror that was placed on the wall in the living room. The flawless face was wet with the tears and blood, his hands were covered with it too, so was his shirt. 

“Don’t worry. I won’t let you die. I won’t let you escape with death, that was too easy. I want you to see me. See me with pain eating you alive. By the way, I’m taking this necklace back. It doesn’t belong to you,”

Jaejoong went to the bathroom and cleaned himself up. Lucky for him as the blood can’t be seen as he wore black t-shirt. He messed up the apartment; repeating the sin that Jinu made 20 years ago and wiped clean the fingerprints. He took the knife with him and hid it somewhere before he called for the ambulance.


Junsu stared at Jaejoong in disbelief. He shook his head several times - denying the truth; the fact that Jaejoong stabbed a person, Yunho’s uncle on top of that.

“Junsu-ah...” Jaejoong called him softly and tried to hold his hand. Junsu flinched at the small contact.

“Don’t!” Jaejoong took a step closer but it made the petite man backed away. “I wanna go home,” 

“I’ll send you - “

“I can go by myself,” he quickly made his way to the door and opened it. To his surprise someone was standing in front of him. “Y-Yunho.. hyeong,”

Jaejoong turned around and saw the man. Junsu who was too occupied to leave just passed him and got out from the apartment. He needed to get away. 

“Yunho-ah,” when Jaejoong moved to see his husband better, Yunho just sprinted out from the house. His suspicion was right. It was Jaejoong who did it to his uncle.