First Encounter

DETRIMENT

Good evening~ am bored @_@ v 

as usual, please excuse the grammatical errors...


 

The white rectangle metal on the dashboard rings; indicated an incoming call. The owner bit his lip in anxious as the phone kept screaming; reminding him that he was late for family dinner. As soon as he got to his family’s house, he sprint in with 101 excuses that he prepared in advance in his head.

“I’m so sorry for not answering your call. But it’s because I was driving like a racer and being the lovely son that I am, I didn’t wanna put my life at stake for - “ he halted as he saw an unfamiliar face sitting at the dining room; together with his parents. That person was smiling in amused.

“It’s okay, son. Come and have a seat,” his father signal him to join them.

“Ah.. Let me introduce to you, this is Jaejoong. Jaejoong, this is Yunho.” they were both nodded in acknowledgment.

The dinner went quite well as their guest was very cheery and talkative. Yunho could see why his parents like him; he blend in very well. He had heard from his parents about him. They first met Jaejoong during an event at an orphanage’s house. After that, they will go there occasionally to help too.

 

‘He’s very nice!’
‘He made lunch for us!’
‘He bake a cake for the kids there!’

 

He do that, he did this. And each time he had just to roll his eyes because seriously, he thought for a second that his parents might like that guy more than their own son. But now seeing him in person, he understood all at once.

“I heard you could knit,” Yunho widen his eyes as he heard the statement came from Jaejoong. He looked at his parents accusingly.

“Just a simple one. Nothing much,”

“I’d love to see it. May I?”

“Sure,” Liar! You wanted to say the opposite. His inner voice shouted.

After the dinner, Yunho had to show Jaejoong around the house due to his father’s request as Jaejoong was stubbornly insist to help Mrs. Jung doing the dishes and to decline it politely, he had to do this.

“Your house is beautiful. And to have a library, that’s awesome!" he chuckled lightly at the man. “So, where to next? What about the thing that you knitted?” 

“Ah, that... It’s in my room,” and slowly (read - unwillingly) lead him to the said destination.

Once inside the room, Yunho showed his books collection instead; trying to distract him from asking about it. As expected, that guy really loves to see it.

“Yunho...” he called while browsing one of the books there. “If you don’t want to show it, it’s fine. I was just mere asking. There’s no need to beat around the bush,” he startled at the statement. Was he too obvious? Somehow, somewhere he could hear a faint ‘Duh!’.

“It’s not that... I was just... I’ve... never show it to others apart from my family. So it feels a little bit... weird? Yeah... it feels weird to show it to you,” he admitted shyly while rubbing the back of his neck. “You love the books?”

“Yup,”

“Boys! Come down and let’s eat some desserts,” yelled Mrs. Jung from downstairs.

“Let’s go. Your mom is really a good cook,” and with that, they both went down.

*****
The next morning, the routine in the Jung’s house started as usual. The smells of the coffee slowly filled in the air and captivated the people in the house.

“Good morning~” Yunho chirped happily.

“Morning. So, how was the meeting with the clients yesterday?”

“It went well. They wanted to - “ 

“Work is the first thing in the morning that you could talk about?! It’s weekend my dear... so please take your mind off from it for awhile,” interrupt his mother; complaining about them. Yunho laughed.

“Hurmmm... Should we talk about the weather then?”

“Boring~”

“How about the topic ‘My mom looks lovely today’?”

“Sweet tooth, Yunho. But nah... I know that fact already,”

“Then?”

“What do you think of Jaejoong?” he was choking on his food when the sudden name came up.

“Why is that come up now?” 

“I’m just curious,” he did not buy that reason but as he was too lazy to drag it on, he just let it slide.

“Not bad. Just like how you guys described about him before, he’s very cheerful and made people feel comfortable around him. And I understand now why you guys adore him so much,” 

Both of the elders had that big smiled plastered on their faces. Growing with them for years, he knows them like the back of his hand. So, he knew that both of them had something in mind and still waiting for the right time to spill the bean.

“I’m ready. Just spill it,”

“Spill what?”

“Aww, c’mon mom. I know you have something to say,”

“I’ve a question actually,” and he waited her to continue. “Do you have someone special?” and he just rolled his eyes. 

“Mom, not this topic again.” he sighed.

“You’re not that young anymore,”

“I’m too busy to have a spouse. Even if I do, I might neglect her and you’ll be disappointed with me. I don’t want that,”

“I’ve discussed this with your father. Do you like Jaejoong?”

“Mom, are you trying to adjust Jaejoong for me?” he chuckled. But the expression of his mother proved that she is indeed wanted Jaejoong to marry him. “You can’t be serious right? He’s a man,”

“I remember my promise to you, son. If you didn’t bring someone to us by 30, I’m going to find one for you regardless of the gender. And up until now I don’t even see any shadow around you,”

“But he’s a man! Dad, did you agree with Mom’s idea?” the wrinkly man just nodded. He was left speechless.

“He’s such a lovely kid, Yunho. Plus, he has nobody. We... we both want him to have a place where he can depends on,”

“He’s not a kid anymore. He’s my age,”

Whatever reasons he threw to them, they just kicked it aside and coaxing him to go along with their plan. And to his surprised, they already told Jaejoong about it.

“Ok, since gender isn’t the problem anymore... There’s one more,”

“What is it?”

“I don’t love him. And that won’t do any justice to him,” or me.

“My love, you can learn to love him after the marriage. Give him the chance to love you... And give yourself the chance to love him too,” she smiled lovingly.