More than Meets the Eye

Breathe Easy

Yuri followed the soup's smell boiling in the kitchen, where Seunghyun was cooking. She stood behind him and wrapped her arms on his waist. Seunghyun enjoyed the moment because he loved it when she's being affectionate. After a while though, he realized that he's falling for a trick that has effectively worked for counitless of times already. "Spit it out. Why are you being so sweet all of a sudden? You have a favor to ask right?"

 

Yuri grinned mischievously. "Oppa, how could you know me so well. And about the favor, I am going to meet someone and I need your help."

 

"You mean a date? May I know who’s the lucky guy?"

 

Yuri just fidgeted her fingers. "It's not that i'm being possessive or jealous because I know I’m irreplacable. But please, tell me you'll meet anybody except that stup*d idiot."

 

"Actually..."

 

"No no no! Sorry, I can't help you with that. Ask for anything else but that."

 

Seunghyun leaned at the kitchen counter and watched Yuri's reaction towards his disapproval. Who could resist those puppy eyes and that childish pout? Seunghyun could only let out a sigh in defeat. Her power over him is unbelievable.

 

Seunghyun pulled Yuri to an embrace. "Alright. Alright. Be grateful you're cute or else I wouldnt have given in. What is it then?"

 

-----

 

Ever since Yunho saw Yuri, he has been so desperate to see her once again. Junsu who was caught in the cold war between the two has refused to give Yuri's contact details to him. But In the end, he gave in when Yunho bribed him with free pork rib soup every lunch of every working day.

 

At first, Yunho missed Yuri so much that he felt sorry for her for losing her sight and giving it to her ungrateful and complete jerk ex-boyfriend. But now he realized that she was selfish. She was selfish for not thinking of her baby and her husband. She was selfish for not thinking of the heavy burden of guilt he'd carry in his heart for having those eyes as long as he's alive.

 

Yunho went into the restaurant and headed straight to the balcony. He watched Yuri jolt at the sudden sound of chimes banging against the glass door. Upon realizing his presence, Yuri immediately faced his direction and greeted him.

 

It was clear to Yunho that she doesn’t want him to feel sorry for her that's why she prepared well for this day. She even chose a restaurant by the beach so she has an excuse to wear sunglasses. She seemed to have mastered the position of the cutleries and memorized the distance among the chairs, tables, and furniture in the restaurant. She knew the menu by heart and has ordered food that's no fuss to eat… and all these pissed him off.

 

"Yuriah, why did you order soup on a ver ywarm day? Don’t you like seafood anymore? I remembered that you always order chili crabs and shrimps when we're on a sea side restaurant. Wait let me order for you."

 

"B-but oppa. I don’t like them…" It was too late to complain. After a while, the spicy scent of the seafood dish stung Yuri's nose when it was place before them.

 

Yunho helped himself with the biggest crab claw he found in the bunch. Before, Yuri used to play rock-scissor-stones with him to decide who will get to eat the meatiest part, but now, Yuri had him eat the food without a fight. In fact, she hasn’t touched the food at all.

 

"Aish!!!" Yunho took the shrimps and crabs. He deshelved it and placed it on Yuri's plate. “What? Do you want me to feed you?”

 

"Yuriah, look at the waves! They're unusually big here. I think you should take your husband here for boogie boarding next time."

 

Yuri looked at where the sound of the waves, hitting the shore, was coming from and smiled. "Oppa..."

 

"What? You also don't like boogie boarding anymore? Why? Because you're blind?"

 

Yuri stood up and slammed her hands on the table. "Oppa! Please stop this! This is not the right time to talk about this. "

 

"Why? Because you don't want to hear how mean you are to me? How you made me look to be the bad guy in this story? Weren't you thinking? How will I ever face your husband with my head up? How will I look in your child's eyes? Tell me! Am I not evil enough for you to still sacrifice your sight for me?"

 

"Oppa, take back your words. I don't want us to end like this..."

-----

It was a deal between Seunghyun and Yuri that he'd pick her up after an hour if he lets him go to this date. To his disappointment, he realized he could have picked her up 30 minutes earlier, or he could have not allowed her to come at all. Her hands were making a fist on top of the table and judging the wetness of her maternity dress' chest part, perhaps her eyes are already sore of crying.

 

He grabbed Yuri’s wrist and said, "Yuriah, let's go."

 

"Can't you see we're talking?" Yunho glared at him.

 

Seunghyun scoffed, "Talking your ! If you're just talking explain to me why is she crying then?"

 

"Let us finish, can’t you?" the tone of Yunho’s voice has become more serious and “deadlier.”

 

"For all I know, it all ended when you left her," Seunghyun replied in a deeper… and I’m sorry to say… more deadly tone. Seunghyun put his arm around Yuri's waist and led her out of the restaurant. In the car, he wanted to nag her big time for being such a fool for insisting on going to this date. But how could he?

 

"Seunghyun oppa, is it true that I was mean to him?"

“Yah! Stop listening to that jerk! He promised he’d stay forever with you, right? Now, tell me who you are with right now?”Seunghyun promised himself one of these days, Yunho will get an ambush beating from him.

-----

Seunghyun was making dinner when the doorbell rang. With the ladle and pot holder on his hand, he opened the door to see whom he least expected.

 

It was Jung Yunho. He looked a bit messed up though with his ruffled hair and red eyes. Regret? Guilt? Seunghyun doesn’t care so without even saying a word, he slammed the door. But Yunho was smart enough to know that Seunghyun’s weakness is Yuri and he’d do anything to take good care of her. He rang the doorbell tirelessly and true enough, this Seunghyun who didn’t want to wake Yuri up just yet had to shut him up.

 

"What!?! Do you want me to call the police?"

 

"Uhm… She left her pouch at the resto and I just wanted to apologize to her."

 

"I’ll let her know. You may leave." Seunghyun was about to close the door when Yunho stuck his hand in the gap between. "Wait, can I talk to Yuriah?"

 

"She's resting," Seunghyun said as he closes the door for the third time.

 

"P-please. I just wanted to talk her," Yunho begged.

 

"Don't you have manners? I said go!" Seunghyun cannot take his persistence anymore and started rolling up his sleeves, ready for a fist fight.

 

"Oppa!" Yuri shouted. She was leaning by the wall for support. Her face was pale and beads of sweat were covering her face. "Oppa, I think we should rush to the hospital. My bag of water just broke."

 

Seunghyun glared at Yunho. "You drive.”