Cry

Breathe Easy

Yuri's senses were also now confused which part of her body was more painful: her head or her tummy. Her labor pain is, of course, much more painful that what she had imagined and on top of it her head was throbbing badly that it could already take her life. For now, she just wanted to be relieved from both.

-----

Flashback from 9 months ago...

 

"Ms. Kwon, you don’t need eyeglasses and you don’t need meds because you don’t have migraine. Ms. Kwon, you need a treatment for cancer. The chances of surviving cancer are slim but you can try."

 

"Cancer? But how come it's so sudden? Besides, I have healthy lifestyle and our family doesn't have history of this illness!"

 

"Cancer is really tricky. It doesn’t get obvious until it's severe and by the time you know it, it has come to swiftly take you away. Your second option is you could have the tumor damaging your occipital lobe removed so at least it doesn’t affect your sight."

 

Yuri thought for a moment. It may be a losing battle for her but to others, it can be a chance. "I will not go for treatment or will have my tumor removed. I'll choose my third option which is to enjoy my remaining days and give my sight to someone who's in need of it."

-----

Together with the nurse, Yunho and Seunghyun pushed the stretcher where Yuri's lying, writhing in pain. At the end of the hall where the delivery room is, the two watched the nurses take Yuri in. "Sorry guys, but we will only allow the father of the child," the nurse of the deliver room told Yunho and Seunghyun as she blocked the way of the two towering figures.

 

Yunho looked at the ground. Even though he has a strong desire to make up for all his stupid mistakes and all the times he had not spent with Yuri, he is neither the husband nor the father of the child. Of course, Seunghyun has to be the one inside.  What does he mean to her now? What right does he have to stand beside Yuri and hold her hand? Even if she’s sane and pain-free, he doubted if Yuri will hold him again.

 

He was surprised when Seunghyun bitterly pushed him inside as he said, "Sadly, you're the stupid idiot who has the right. Please take care of her this time or I will really punch you big time."

 

Does that mean...?

-----

Yunho has seen in this scene in films and dramas where fathers are inside the delivery room. Reality is different though. The screams of pain coming from Yuri can't help but break his heart. He hoped that his presence alone would ease her nervousness, fears, and pain. Yunho tightened his grip on Yuri's hand and whispered in her ear, "Yuri ah, relax. Breathe and give just one more push."

 

Yuri obeyed. The delivery room was quiet until the doctor pulled the baby from his mother and let out a cry. "Congratulations! It's a boy!"

 

The nurse wrapped the crying baby with a clean cloth and gently placed the baby in Yuri's arms. If there's one thing he was thankful for having seen the world again, it was seeing this beautiful sight. Though looking exhausted, Yuri joyfully cradled in her arms a small baby boy. She ran her fingers on his face as if she was putting a visual imagery for each little feature.

 

Realizing she's blind the nurse told her, "Ma'am, he looks just like his father but I think he'll have your lovely eyes." Yuri smiled at the nurse's remark but wondered where she got the idea of how the father looked like. Yuri ignored her latter thought and just enjoyed the baby's small hands gripping her finger and battling against her to put it in his mouth.

 

She’s now a mother. She was glad to have reached this moment. He’s now a father. He was proud to have seen this event. The birth of THEIR child was indeed a milestone.

 

"Dong yul. Dong yul ah, don't be picky with food. Eat a lot and stay strong. Take a bath everyday and always keep yourself warm. Choose your friends while growing up, you don’t need a lot anyway… just a few good ones will do. And don't drink with them until you're twenty! Dong yul ah, I hope you'll find a good girl as your wife someday. Find someone like me, ok? And don't hang out much with Junsu. Spend time with Seunghyun ah... he'll teach you how to cook and besides he will always make you laugh. About your father, if you see him, don’t punch him just yet. He gave you to me after all and I will always love him for that."

-----

After feeding the baby from her s, the nurse took the baby to let him rest in the nursery. She kissed his forehead and bid him goodbye.

 

So this is how I’ll die, she thought. Instead of flashbacks of the happiest days of her life, she was seeing the reason for that happiness, Yunho. She smiled at him and satisfied herself with the pleasure of seeing him again.

 

"Oppa," she called. Yunho wondered whether to get Seunghyun for her but she already raised her hand as if wanting him right at that very moment. Yunho rushed to her side. She let her fingers run on his face: those small piercing eyes that only looks at her gently; that nose that enjoys the scent of every inch of her body; those warm wet lips that never failed to take her breath away… who wouldn’t be scared of missing those?

 

She thought she must be hallucinating. She thought her senses were just deceiving her so she still called for Seunghyun whom she thought was with her. "Oppa, you know it's true that when blind people are about to die, they can see. Right now, I can see Yunho oppa smiling back at me. When he finds Dong Yul ah, tell him that I loved him til the very end. Tell him, I will always be his and everything he is, I am too."

 

Yunho's tears cannot help but fall. He covered his mouth to prevent his cry from being heard. He cannot fathom what's happening but he realized that searching for the answer would just be a waste of their precious time. If she is indeed dying, then the last good deed he could do for her is stay.

 

With her remaining strength, Yuri put her hands on his face and drew him near hers. "Oppa, tell him I wanted to be with him now, tomorrow, and even in the afterlife." Her deep breaths were seemed laborious and her eyebrows seemed to meet in pain, but she forced herself to smile and continue "Oppa…"

 

Yunho was clinging on to the little hope that somehow there'd be a miracle. That he'll be given another chance to show her how much he loves her. That he and Yuri will live long and raise their child together. That he and Yuri will grow old and will remain by each other's side until the good lord takes them away.

 

With one foot stepping on the world of the dead and the other on the living, Yuri whispered to Yunho...Take my breath away, this time for good "… kiss me."

 

Without hesitation, Yunho locked his lips with hers as their tears join as one. Soon her lips stopped responding and her heart has stopped beating with his. Yunho pulled her dead weight close to him as he scream for his lost love. Her kind eyes that used to look at him as if he's the only person in the world will now forever be closed. Her hands that perfectly fit his were now cold and lifeless. Her lips that smiled at him like sunshine were now pale. His Yuri, whom he has left several times, has now left him.

 

If karma is indeed true, Yunho has finally got his... she's gone.

-----

Author's note:  Dong Yul is a name which means passion of the east. I just chose the name because of the YUL (yuri's nickname). It sounds majestic too which is fit for Yunho who is a DONG bang shin ki after all. Keke.