3 Wishes

Breathe Easy

"Yuri ah, wait for me here. I need to go back inside. I just remember that you're already running out of supplements," Seunghyun said as he walks back towards the shopping center.

 

Yuri, who cannot stay still in one place even just for 3 minutes, started wandering since she's  very familiar with the vicinity anyway. Soon she found herself walking in what she thought was an empty narrow street with a  paper bag of groceries wrapped by her right arm and her pouch on the other hand.

 

Even though she can't see anyting, she knew that street too well. How many steps to take from the corner of te street up to the end of it. Where the humps and manholes were. She knew when the pine trees, lined on her right, were to shed its cone. She knew that by now the elegant houses on her left were now shining with christmas lights. She knew at the end of that road, there's a lone peach blossom tree cowering over a bench underneath it. She knew because this street was strongly engraved in her heart. She used to wait for him under that tree and they'd walk home together, with their hands interlacing.

 

Yuri found herself smiling at the thought of him. Thinking of him was her guilty pleasure. But soon she silently laughed at herself for being stupid. Of course, there's no reason for her to go there, right? Before she continued to mock herself, Yuri resisted the temptation of coming to the place she used to call home and turned her back.

-----

Yunho is on his way back to his apartment which he used to share with her. Ever since he broke up with her, for almost 5 years now, he never dared to comeback because he's afraid that all the selfishness he showed her would back fire to him in the instant he sees her now-empty-spot in the house.

 

 It has been two days since Yunho returned from his much-wanted trip around the world. He had seen places which he use to see only on magazines, savored the food to his heart's content, and  had met a lot of people (most of them were girls). He needed that time and space to rediscover himself. To his disappointment, he felt being back to square one as at the end of the day where his thoughts are mostly of hers. How has she been? Is she mad at him? Perhaps, she is sooo upset with him that she'd even chase him down to hell just to give him a much-deserved whack at the back of his head. He doesn't know what to do if he sees her. He doesnt even know what to tell her. he just know he misses every single thing about her that's why he felt the strong need to finally come home.

 

People rarely walk on that poorly lit street so Yunho was surprise to see someone coming from the opposite direction. He figured it was a female judging by her clothes, the way she walked, as well as her long wavy hair that framed her soft facial features. If it wasn't for the bump in her tummy, he would have thought it was Yuri. Which imbecile husband would let a beautiful pregnant woman walk alone?

-----

Yuri heard footsteps coming from the other direction, getting closer and stopped at a certain diatance. She continued walking until she bumped to him. Both of them fell on the cold ground, with her landing on his body (she could tell it’s a man because of his muscular chest). She was certain that her face was so close to him because she can feel his warm breath. She don’t know why in the world would someone purposely bump into her when the street was wide enough for two people. She would have scolded him for being insensitive to someone disabled but his familiar twilight wood scent reminded her of Yunho. How can she be mad?

 

Yuri felt her baby kicked for the first time. She was sure that her baby wasn’t just surpised by the fall. The baby was showing off to the stranger how strong he is. Yuri smiled. Her baby is as competitive as his father.

 

"Yuri ah! Are you okay? Is the baby okay" Seunghyun shouted as he run towards Yuri.

 

"What has gotten into you again? Next time, I'll cuff you to my arm so you don't go wandering in this strange street," he said as he helped her up from her awkward position with the stranger.

 

Seunghyun glared at the stranger and shouted, "Yah! Why did you block her way? Can’t you see she's pregnant?" The hot-tempered Seunghyun would have started a fist-fight if Yuri didn't stand in between them.

 

"Oppa, it's ok. It's dark and he doesn’t know I’m blind."

 

Seunghyun breathed in deeply to gain his composure, "Okay. Just promise me you'll stay here.  Ok? I'll just get the car." He kissed Yuri on the forehead which made the stranger look away. Before leaving, Seunghyun gave one last piercing look at him, "What are you sitting there for? Are you going to let her pick up the groceries?"

 

Yuri felt the stranger kneel and started picking up their groceries in silence. She knelt as well and extended her hands to search the ground.

-----

Yuri turned her head to the Yunho and said, "I apologize in his behalf. He must have went crazy looking for me."

 

Yunho looked into her eyes as he handed her the groceries. It was his old clouded eyes. The eyes that he wish he never had. The eyes that he traded so he could fulfill his selfish dreams. The eyes that used to hold his grudges against the world. Ironically, the eyes that caused him to leave her are the ones she's using right now.

 

Yuri stood up and extended her hand to reach for his, "Kwon Yuri."

 

Suddenly, two head lights lit the street and her lover came to the scene. He wrapped his jacket over her body, "Let's go. It's getting late."

 

Yuri and her boyfriend (may be husband or whatever they are, Yunho had already too much to find out) walked towards their car. Before riding on it, Yuri turned to his direction and smiled.

-----

Yunho ran to his apartment as soon as the car was beyond his eyes' reach. He could hardly see his way as his eyes were filled with water  that he had been trying to hold since he came face to face with Yuri.

 

He opened all his lights and broke down on his couch. Everything was in its place and  nothing has changed except for Yuri's now-empty-seat. It felt to him that she was watching him in the room. He turned around to look for her but he only got an empty laugh. He frowned in dismay as Yuri's empty seat especially got bigger in his heart along with the beautiful memories.

 

He dragged himself to his room as he had lost the will to do anything meaningful that night (and perhaps the following nights). Yunho turned off the lights and was astounded to see stars glowing around him. Yunho, whose eyes were again filled with tears, took his phone and and defeatedly dialled Junsu's number.

 

"Yah! Tell me the truth. The trip around the world was a gift from the office, right Junsu? Right!?"

 

The answer Yunho got shattered his heart into smaller pieces. He couldn’t do anything but nothing which make him even angrier to himself. He looked blankly at the glowing stars and whispered, "Yuri ah, you really made all my wishes come true.”

-----

Author's Note: If you have read the details very well in the past chapters like what Yuri did before the operation and Seunghyun always using the word "both" when asking how she is... the answers are here :)