09. Gold

Golden Boys

 

Earlier that day…

 

“I knew you’d be here.”

Before Seungcheol could awaken properly at the intrusion, the blanket covering his face was roughly yanked from his body and his poor eyes were assaulted by the bright sunlight streaming through the windows. Groaning overdramatically, Seungcheol fumbled for a pillow and shoved it over his face to block the light.

There was unabashed laughter at his misery and the sound of cupboards being thrown open.

“Stop stealing all my food Jeonghan,” Seungcheol moaned, forcing himself awake because he knew if his best friend went at the food there would be nothing left.

“Excuse you, I’m pretty sure I paid for at least one third of this,” Jeonghan countered, already into a bag of chips when Seungcheol managed to finally open his eyes.

Seungcheol jumped to his feet, shaking the weariness from his limbs. He strode over to the table and grabbed the bag, taking a seat across from him and taking a handful of chips for himself. “No, you didn’t.”

“Oh, what a shame,” Jeonghan said before promptly plucking the bags from Seungcheol’s greedy fingers and eating them by himself.

Seungcheol scowled at him before he went to scour the cupboards, wondering if he could find something more suitable for brunch than carbs.

“Why don’t you sleep in your own room, Cheol?” Jeonghan questioned, pointing toward his makeshift bed that was the club couch, a thick blanket and too many pillows. “You have a bed.”

Seungcheol sighed dramatically, gesturing toward the black leather couch. “Yes, but then my wife would miss me.” In return Jeonghan visibly rolled his eyes. Seungcheol had a strange habit known between his friends that he almost never stayed in his designated room in the Gold building. Instead he had made a habit out of sleeping in the Golden Boy’s designated club room. They weren’t technically a club but Jeonghan had a way of getting what he wanted (and maybe he had bribed a few people but no one had to know that).

“Besides, everyone leaves me alone if I’m here,” Seungcheol said, almost sighing from happiness. Everyone in the school knew where his room was but no one but a select few could get into the club room. Plus they were on the second floor so no obnoxious stalker pictures. He then fixed an annoyed look at the other male, “Except for you.”

Jeonghan shrugged, looking unbothered by the dark glare that was being sent in his direction. “You’re just lucky only a few of us have keys in here. I’m sure a lot of people would love to watch you sleep,” he wiggled his eyebrows. “Actually, I should probably start selling pictures. I’d make a lot of money…”

“Don’t even think about it Han,” Seungcheol warned, lifting a pillow as a warning. “Remember what happened two years ago? I still can’t go to the gym on campus because I’m so scarred.”

Jeonghan burst out cackling, slapping his thighs. “Oh yes, good times. The schools website was crazy for a few weeks.”

Seungcheol ended up throwing the pillow, but Jeonghan blocked it with an easy swipe of his arm. The dark haired boy looked severely disappointed that his attack had failed. “You know, school did start a few days ago. Have you even gone to any of your classes yet?”

“Nope, what a bother,” Seungcheol grumbled, going back to his couch and splaying out on it. He had arrived late on the first day and since then hadn’t bothered. The only class he attended regularly was lunch.

 

Honestly Seungcheol didn’t know why anyone even bothered anymore. The only reason he attended Pledis was because his parents forced him, but they couldn’t make him go to class. Plus, why would he spend any time studying like Joshua when he knew he had a significant trust fund he could rely on for the rest of his life?

However the event in the cafeteria with a certain pink haired Bronze made him think that this school year was going to be more interesting than he thought.

 

Jeonghan frowned at him from the counter. “You have to keep your grades up if you want to graduate. And to do that you need to go to class.”

 

Seungcheol groaned and buried his face into a pillow. Jeonghan always had a way of reminding him of unpleasant things. “Don’t remind me.” If there was one thing he couldn’t get away with from his parents, it was failing his classes. He was already behind in history and he didn’t need to be reminded of that horror. “Why are you even reminding me anyway? I thought Josh was the nagging housewife.”

 

“He is. But if you fail another class then you’re getting pulled off the basketball team and that means I have to be captain and that is absolutely too much work.”

 

Seungcheol threw another pillow which unfortunately missed again. Jeonghan continued to eat Seungcheol’s food, looking unbothered that he was the target of many vicious attacks. “I heard about yesterday’s events,” he said as he finished the whole bag of chips by himself. They were Seungcheol’s favorite too. “Not quite as extravagant as I was expecting. What are you, a stalker fanboy?”

 

“I would say I was trying more for the pining star crossed lover.”

 

“You missed that by a landslide.”

 

Seungcheol really wished glares could kill because Jeonghan would have been dead long ago (though knowing his best friend Seungcheol would’ve been the one to die a horrible death first).  “I happen to think my butlers did a very good job of setting it up. However he missed the big event at lunch. I had a live orchestra and everything.”

 

Jeonghan sighed dramatically. “If only you put this much work into your studies.”

 

The dark haired boy made a face at his friend. “Says the one who makes his tutors do his homework.”

 

“Excuse you!” Jeonghan looked offended. “I’ve been copying Joshua’s homework for the past few months, thank you very much.”

 

Before Seungcheol could prompt that that was exactly the same thing, a key was inserted into the club room and the door flew open. “Speak of the devil and he shall come,” Seungcheol whispered and Jeonghan responded by smacking him with a pillow.

 

Joshua swept into the room, looking impeccable in his nicely primped school uniform and perfect hair. He was currently bent over his tablet, eyebrows furrowed as he scrolled through an article on the internet.

 

“Morning, class president!” Seungcheol called out.

 

Joshua didn’t even look up at the teasing. “It’s nearly noon Seungcheol.”

 

Seungcheol fell back onto the couch, pretending to have been shot in the heart. “And they call you the nice one. What lies! I should expose all of you…”

 

Jeonghan skipped over to Joshua, who was avidly ignoring Seungcheol, and pouring over an article that he was looking at. “What’s up, Josh?” He chirped, peeking over his shoulder. His face immediately fell, looking bothered. “This is a problem.”

 

Seungcheol sat up, as if sensing the atmosphere. Joshua wordlessly handed him the tablet. He skimmed the article and his frown deepened the farther he read. Apparently his oldest brother had decided to try to buy out one of the Kim family’s retail lines. Bobby would not be happy. Seungcheol merely sighed, his brothers never could let him have some peace.

 

“Bobby is going to be pissed,” Jeonghan drawled, as if reading his mind. He then proceeded to try to find more snacks and handed a juice box to Joshua who accepted it wordlessly.

 

“Did you know about this?” Joshua asked.

 

Seungcheol just laughed at the idea. “I never know what my brothers or any of my family ever does.” However a depressed sigh followed. “Guess I won’t be leaving this room today,” he said mournfully. Bobby and his pals were probably initiating a full on search for him and anything involving Bobby usually meant long speeches and trouble.

 

At least Joshua looked apologetic. “I’d probably be best if you hid out here for today. I’ll bring your lunch by.”

 

Jeonghan clicked his tongue. “Amazing. You have a knack at getting out of class, don’t you Cheol.”

 

“It is a special skill of mine,” Seungcheol said from where he had his face down on the couch again. It was going to be a long day, might as well merge with the couch now.

 

However before he could finish his transformation into furniture there was a loud banging on the door.

 

Even Jeonghan looked stunned. “Oh my god, has he found you already? I didn’t think he had enough brain cells for that!”

 

The three held their breaths as if hoping the person might go away if they didn’t think anyone was home.

 

No luck. “Seungcheol? Are you in there? I want to talk.”

 

Jeonghan let out a long exhale of relief. “Thank god, it’s just Wonwoo.” Seungcheol looked curious but nodded when Joshua went to open the door.

 

He threw the door open and Wonwoo strode into the room, looking eerily determined. “Well hello to you Jeon,” Jeonghan greeted, looking scarily pleased. “Fancy having your company here. I don’t think you’ve been in this room since freshman year.”

 

“That was on purpose,” Wonwoo responded bluntly.

 

Jeonghan laughed. He always seemed to enjoy playing with Wonwoo. Joshua looked concerned, meanwhile Seungcheol was curious. Wonwoo wouldn’t come to the club room if it wasn’t important.

 

“You’re coming to my family’s dinner next weekend, correct?” Jeonghan asked, lounging in a swivel chair and looking like he was enjoying the situation a bit too much. He seemed to be the only one. “Your parents are invited and the rest of the Golden Boys as well so it’s only natural that you’d come.”

 

Wonwoo visibly cringed. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

 

Jeonghan smiled, a catlike grin on his face. “Excellent. I’m sure we’ll have a grand time.”

 

Joshua coughed awkwardly. He always was the nicest of them and he didn’t seem to enjoy the situation Jeonghan was cornering Wonwoo into. “Wonwoo, did you come to say something?” He asked politely. The two were on as friendly terms as any of them could get.

 

The dark haired boy seemed to steel his nerve, narrowing his eyes. Seungcheol didn’t blame him. Sometimes he needed to prepare himself to talk to Jeonghan as well.

 

“I want you guys to leave Jihoon alone.”

 

Oh. That wasn’t what he had been expecting. It seemed that no one else had expected that either. Jeonghan was gaping openly meanwhile Joshua looked hesitant. Seungcheol hadn’t expected Wonwoo to be getting involved now.

 

Jeonghan clicked his tongue, straightening in his chair and crossing his legs. “You seem to be getting pretty fond of that Bronze kid. Happen to harbor a crush on him, Jeon Wonwoo?”

 

“Jihoon’s my roommate. He’s a good kid, he didn’t expect to get dragged into all of this. And,” he fixed his intense stare in the long blonde’s direction, “I happen to have a conscious. You’ve made your point. Leave him alone.”

 

Jeonghan narrowed his eyes in response. Seungcheol could only sigh. If there was one way to get Jeonghan to do something, it was to tell him he couldn’t. “He stepped out of line. It’s only natural that we put him in his place. And I wouldn’t say I’m done with him just yet, he’s a bit too much fun to play around with.”

 

“Please stop acting like an all righteous dictator Jeonghan,” Wonwoo sighed and the blonde haired boy bristled in response.

 

Jeonghan stood up, banging his hands on the table. “Well, someone has to make sure this school stays in order. The Bronze and Silver’s need to know their place. We have a reputation at our school and I’m not going to let some stupid Bronze ruin everything I’ve worked for.”

 

“Please Jeonghan, I beg of you. Stop acting like everyone is below you.”

 

Jeonghan was starting to look mildly irritated. Seungcheol could sense a storm ahead. “Why not? It’s true.”

 

Wonwoo threw his hands into the air. “There, that’s it! That’s the pretentious, stuck up attitude that made me quit being a Gold two years ago! You can’t live your life thinking everyone is the ground that you walk on. That’s the reason why no one wants to be your friend, because you don’t treat them like equals.”

 

A flash of hurt crossed his face. Joshua visibly flinched. “Everyone wants to be my friend,” Jeonghan lashed out. The tension in the room was so thick it could be cut with a knife. Seungcheol hoped the situation would be diffused before it got any worse.

 

“No Jeonghan,” and Wonwoo looked genuinely apologetic. “People want to use you and it’s sad because you can’t tell the difference. You can’t hide behind your parent’s money forever. Eventually you’re going to have to grow up and face reality.”

 

Seungcheol hadn’t seen Jeonghan this furious in a long time. His face was burning red, hands clenched by his sides and chest heaving. However his voice was icy cold, perfectly controlled as expected of Yoon Jeonghan. “No Wonwoo, you’re the one running. You and your self-righteous attitude doesn’t make you better than any of us. Even if your nameplate is Bronze, you’ll never stop being a Gold.”

 

Wonwoo’s eyes were closed, shaking his head repeatedly. “I’ll never get through to you, will I Jeonghan?”

 

“Wonwoo please,” Joshua pleaded. He looked torn between the two of them, gripping Jeonghan’s shoulder like he could hold him back. “Just let it go, will you? You’ve said enough.”

 

Jeonghan pulled his shoulder out of Joshua’s grip. “You want me to leave that Bronze alone? Fine. But you have to make him apologize. I want it in front of everyone, telling me how he was wrong to act out against a Golden Boy and how he’ll never do it again. If he doesn’t I’m going to make his life a living hell.”

 

Wonwoo looked exasperated. “How do you even look yourself in the mirror? This is a fight between me and you, target me all you want but leave Jihoon alone.”

 

“He became a problem the moment he tried to stand up to me in the cafeteria. I’m only doing my job as a Golden Boy to keep this school under control. And if he’s not going to play by the rules, then I have to make him, or destroy him.”

 

There was pure disgust in Wonwoo’s gaze and Joshua had a tight grip on Jeonghan’s arm like he thought he might go flying across the room. But Seungcheol knew he wouldn’t. Jeonghan didn’t like getting his hands dirty.

 

“I think it’s time for me to make my exit,” Seungcheol smirked, standing up. You could drown in the heated atmosphere of the club room and as much as Seungcheol liked to witness drama even he was having trouble watching the two fight. It reminded him of their childhood when everything had been easier, but too much time had passed and there was no way they could ever return to what they were. He bowed mockingly to the two before making his way towards the door. “If you’ll excuse me,” he said, halfway into the hallway. Bobby and his henchmen be damned, there was no way he could stand another minute in that room.

 

“Choi Seungcheol.” Seungcheol turned and Wonwoo pierced him with his dark gaze. “Leave Jihoon alone. You don’t have any idea what he’s gone through.”

 

“Why should I?” Seungcheol drawled, voice icy. “When he has no idea what I’ve gone through. He’s the one who stepped out of line. I’m only the executioner dealing out the punishment.” And with that he slammed the door behind him, making his way toward his sanctuary in the performing arts center where he could hopefully have some peace and quiet.

 

He was sadly mistaken.

 

 

“Will you marry me?”

 

Jihoon could hear his voice ring loudly even above the noisy crowd and the flashing of cameras. People were shouting but Jihoon’s mind was blank and all he could do was stare with his mouth open, uncomprehending.

 

It was Hoshi.

 

He had traded in his neon running clothes for a clean and expensive black tux, and his previously wild blonde hair had been dyed a soft brown and was slicked off his forehead with gel. His handsome face was serious, unlike the easygoing and light hearted smiles that Jihoon was used to. He looked different but Jihoon knew it was the same person he had grown to love in Busan.

 

And Hoshi was currently on one knee proposing to a girl.

 

“Oh my god, he’s proposing to Lee Sowon!”

 

“I told you the rumors were true! He was planning for his wedding!”

 

“She’s so lucky! I can’t believe she’s marrying a Golden Boy!”

 

“Isn’t she the daughter of Lee Enterprises? Their parents are rivals!”

 

“Is it a business marriage then?”

 

Jihoon couldn’t bear to watch any longer. His mind was spinning and nausea was piling up in his stomach, making him feel like he might be sick. He stepped back unconsciously, pressing against the withering crowd with shaking hands, before turning sharply and sprinting in the other direction.

 

He had to get away. Anywhere but here.

 

 

Jihoon ran until his chest was aching and he was gasping for air. He bent down, propping himself up on his thighs and attempted to calm his racing heartbeat. The warm summer sun make his uniform stick to his skin though the lightheadedness wasn’t just from the heat.

 

Gathering his bearings, Jihoon realized he had gotten himself lost. When he had seen the scene outside the campus center the only thought that had gone through his mind was to escape. Like following animal instincts he had let his flight response kick in and had ran as far as he could.

 

The pink haired boy glanced around, trying to figure out where he was. He had left the campus premises and had entered the long stretch of forest that surrounded the school. He must be close to the hiking trails and the gym. Great, he had panicked and run halfway across the school and it was getting dark. He really seemed to have no qualms about literally running from his problems.

 

“What are you doing Lee Jihoon,” he chastised himself, already starting to walk back the way he had come. As much as he didn’t want to go back he couldn’t walk the whole way to Busan. There was nowhere to run.

 

As he walked through the tall trees as much as he resisted he couldn’t help but think about Hoshi. The last time he had spoken to him was the night he had been kissed. The goodnight Hoshi had given him had turned out to be their final goodbye. The next day Hoshi had disappeared like a ghost, leaving nothing behind except for a letter and pieces of Jihoon’s broken heart.

 

If only Jihoon had known… He still hated himself for letting him go so easily. He wished he had known, had held onto him while he could. Had told him all the things he had been too scared to say, done all the things he wished they could have done. Jihoon had never loved someone before and he wasn’t sure if it truly was love, but Jihoon’s feelings for Hoshi were the closest he had ever felt.

 

Hoshi had been the first to truly be interested in Jihoon, instead of wanting to use him for his notes or try to copy his homework. He had been the only one to push past his prickly exterior and get to know the true Lee Jihoon. He liked him for who he was instead of who he tried to be. And Hoshi, so bright and open like a book, Jihoon hadn’t found it hard to fall at all.

 

But maybe Hoshi hadn’t been as visible on the surface as he had thought.

 

Jihoon knew Hoshi had been hiding things from him, but to find out that Hoshi went to Pledis was like a slap in the face. Hoshi had been sincere when it was just the two of them, but would he be different as a rich kid at Pledis High? Jihoon wanted to know the truth and he wanted answers, but he wasn’t sure he would be able to confront him.

 

Before he realized it he had arrived back at the performing arts center. The crowd had dispersed in front of the campus center and Jihoon could only think of the headlines that would be covering the school newspaper the following day. He was about to pass to go back to the dorms and hide when he realized in the excitement of earlier he had forgotten his bag in the piano room.

 

Just wanting to fall into bed and maybe cry a little, Jihoon grudgingly trudged back into the performing arts center. Seungcheol was long gone, but with a shock he realized the large banner they were hanging from the ceiling was a huge picture of Hoshi himself.

 

The previous blonde, now brunette, stood front and center, looking charismatic and serious in leather next to some other kids who he presumably guessed were part of the same club. Pledis Performance Unit was in huge letters on the front and there was a sign for dance tryouts on the bottom.

 

“Have you prepared for the club fair? It’s this weekend.”

 

“Yeah, and I’ve already got the order set up for tryouts...”

 

Jihoon spun around at the familiar voice, heart hammering in his chest against his will. Hoshi stood in the middle of the foyer, two other students flanking him. His voice tapered off when their eyes met.

 

“Ho-”

 

Before Jihoon could move Hoshi had strode across the room, grabbing onto Jihoon’s wrist and pulling him down the hallway none too gently. Jihoon stayed quiet, shocked into silence and let Hoshi lead him into a dark practice room in the far back of the building. Hoshi shut the door behind them and closed the blinds before finally turning towards him.

 

Jihoon could only stare at the boy who had disappeared. It was definitely Hoshi, no doubt. Up close he had the same slanted eyes that Jihoon had grown to love but his dark circles had gotten worse and his usual bright smile was replaced by a cold mask. “H-Hoshi?” Jihoon stuttered, stunned. He had been hoping maybe it wasn’t true, that he had been mistaken, but there could be no mistaking him now.

 

Hoshi regarded him with a blank gaze, a slight frown gracing his features. Jihoon thought the unhappy expression didn’t fit his features, but he had been wrong about a lot of things. “I heard about a pink haired new student, but I didn’t really think it would be you.” Instead of sounding happy or surprised his voice was tight, disappointed and almost angry.

 

Jihoon wasn’t quite sure what to say. Should he be apologetic? But shouldn’t Hoshi be happy they could meet like this again? “Hoshi… What are you doing here?”

 

“My name isn’t Hoshi,” the boy snapped, fists clenched tight by his sides. “My name is Kwon Soonyoung.”

 

“Kwon Soonyoung…” Jihoon trailed off as he recognized the name. It felt foreign and scary on his lips. Kwon Soonyoung, the only son to one of the most wealthy business owners in South Korea.

 

And a member of the Golden Boys.

 

“You lied to me?” It wasn’t a question.

 

Soonyoung shrugged, as if the idea wasn’t important. “You didn’t need to know.”

 

“I didn’t need to know?” Jihoon half screamed. He hated not having his emotions under control and he cursed Soonyoung’s ability to break down every wall he had ever created. “I didn’t need to know that you lied to me about your name and who you were? And then you go disappearing without even telling me why-”

 

“What difference would it have made?” Soonyoung snapped. “Would you have used me because of my money?”

 

“Of course not!” Jihoon gasped, appalled. “How could you even think like that? You know it wouldn’t have changed anything!”

 

“But I don’t know,” Soonyoung countered, turning defensive. “I only knew you for three days. You didn’t know anything about me.”

 

Jihoon went quiet. “You knew more about me than most people I’ve known for my whole life.”

 

That seemed to bring Soonyoung to a halt. “… Then you’re a fool.”

 

Jihoon’s laugh broke through the silence but it was anything but funny. It dripped pain and poison and turned the room icy cold in seconds. “Maybe I am a fool. For thinking that I loved you and that you loved me back.”

 

“I didn’t love you.”

 

It was like Jihoon had been punched. Of course Soonyoung had been implying it, but to actually hear it out loud nearly brought Jihoon to his knees. Instead he squeezed his eyes shut, willing away the tears that were threatening to fall.

 

“I couldn’t love you,” Soonyoung continued, staring through him like Jihoon was worth nothing to him anymore. “How could I love a scholarship student?”

 

And there it was. The final stake impaled in his heart. The truth that Soonyoung had probably wanted to say for a long time. Everything had been a lie from the start and Jihoon had lost before he had even known he was playing.

 

Realization hit him like a train. Hoshi, no Soonyoung, was no different from any of the other Golden Boys. And Jihoon was nothing more than another Bronze piece in a game he liked to play.

 

“It would be best if we pretended not to know each other,” Soonyoung stated calmly, picking up his bag again and looking prepared to leave. Out of his life, again, never to look back. Every time Soonyoung left him he seemed to leave Jihoon in more broken pieces than ever before.

 

“Excuse me?” Jihoon gasped out. Why was he even surprised? Of course a Gold wouldn’t want to be associated with a Bronze, much less a scholarship student.

 

“Just trust me.”

 

Jihoon chuckled, shaking his head. He truly had been fooled into thinking he had known Hoshi. “Trust?” He asked, staring straight at Soonyoung who stared back with a cold, unreadable gaze. “I can never trust you.  Do you know that day when you disappeared, I thought something happened to you? That maybe you had gotten in trouble, or hurt. I thought you never wanted to leave. But now I know. I was wrong. Maybe I knew Hoshi, but I will never know Kwon Soonyoung.”

 

Soonyoung didn’t even flinch. And maybe that was what hurt the most. That Jihoon felt like dying inside while Soonyoung didn’t feel anything. “Are you done?” He asked, almost bored.

 

Jihoon smiled but it was empty. “I want to know one more thing. I think I deserve at least this.” He steeled himself for the answer he didn’t think he was ready for. “Did you know you were engaged before you met me?”

 

“… Yes.”

 

Jihoon didn’t need to hear anymore. “I wish you had never appeared before me again. I wish I had never known the truth.” He turned and grabbed his things, fumbling for the door. The tears were threatening to spill over but Jihoon didn’t want Kwon Soonyoung to ever see him cry.

 

“I wish I had never met you,” he whispered. And Jihoon did the thing he knew best. He ran.

 

 

(A/N: Hello everyone!

Sorry about not posting for a month! I just graduated from nursing school and it was a wild ride let me tell you...

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! I absolutely love this chapter <33

DON'T KILL ME

Haha anyway, tell me what you think in the comments below, or tell me about your suffering/yell at me at my twitter: @seeyousoonhoon (I changed it... because I'm indecisive...) Thank you as always for reading, the recent comments have been fun to read.

Also, I will just let you know that the next chapter will be what's called an 'Extra' chapter. They're chapters, possibly shorter, possibly longer, that focus more on outside characters and different perspectives! And also tell me what side characters and side couples you'd like to see more of! Thanks for reading! ^^)