16. The Golden Rule

Golden Boys

"Who's Doyoon?" Jihoon didn’t recognize the name.

Sooyoung was acting strange. He seemed uncomfortable about the topic and it made Jihoon wonder if he was getting involved in something that maybe he should have stayed out of. "Doyoon was two years ahead of us, but only a year older. One of those brilliant students who skipped a year, top of his grade, Class President. His parents are big stockholders in numerous companies and they have a lot of relations to news casters and public figures." He explained, fingers tapping on his lap. 

"He was your friend?" Jihoon asked, uncertain. 

The brown haired boy shrugged noncommittally. "Something like that.  We had all known each other for years. But after Doyoon, Seungcheol and Jeonghan first entered school… Everything changed."

Soonyoung sighed like the topic physically exhausted him to talk about. "This school has always been divided by family wealth. It's hard not to when you have such a hierarchy among students. But things didn’t get really bad until late freshman year."

Jihoon had always thought Pledis had been divided. He hadn't realized there had been a turning point which had turned the school into what it was now.

"There was a falling out. A bunch of the Golds got into a fight, and Wonwoo was even suspended for a week. But Doyoon was forced to make a choice that day, and since then this school hasn’t been the same." Soonyoung ran a hand through his hair. "The Golds started to exert their power and influence over the student body and the ranks among the students were divided even more. Jang Doyoon is the reason why the Golden Boys exist."

-----

"Jihoon, you're up early."

Jihoon glanced over guilty in Wonwoo's direction. Jihoon still wasn’t sure how to bring up what Soonyoung had told him to Wonwoo, so he had tried to leave their dorm early to avoid seeing him. Which had ended with him getting caught by Wonwoo who had been up early to study for an exam, and thus he had been forced to walk with him to class. So much for avoiding him until he could figure out what to say.

"Yeah… Just had to do a couple of things to prepare for class," Jihoon said, feeling mildly guilty about lying. It was such a silly thing to be worried about, but he was still concerned over talking to Wonwoo about the formation of the Golden Boys. There was a reason Wonwoo hadn't told him, and wasn’t sure how he would react to him finding out.

Wonwoo nodded, opening his textbook to look through a couple of his notes. "You seem better than yesterday. How did the talk with Soonyoung go?"

"Soonyoung? Oh great. Fantastic. Wonderful."

The black haired boy stared at him suspiciously over his textbook before slowly closing it. "Alright. What happened."

Jihoon smiled in hopes to distract him. "Nothing. Everything's great."

"Really…"

"Yeah!" Jihoon wracked his mind for a response, he wasn’t ready to bring up the topic with Wonwoo yet. "We actually had a heart to heart. It was nice."

Wonwoo didn’t look completely convinced but he hummed. "That’s good then."

Just then they spotted a figure sprinting down the sidewalk towards them, nearly bowling over a group of girls in his haste. "Jihoon, you have to see this!"

Jihoon was almost knocked over when Mingyu came to a hard stop before him, shoving his phone into his face.

"Mingyu, be careful running. You nearly killed those girls back there and almost flattened Jihoon," Wonwoo said, sounding more amused than concerned.

"Sorry," Mingyu said, panting from exertion. "But this was urgent."

Jihoon carefully took the phone out of his grip and took a look. The article Mingyu was showing him seemed to be from a blog called The Golden Rule, in fancy script.

There is only one Rule: Don’t keep secrets unless you're prepared to tell a lie.

"What is this?" Jihoon asked, mildly repulsed but also confused.

"It’s a blog about the school," Wonwoo explained, glancing over his shoulder. "It's been going on for years, no one knows who runs it."

"The writer exposes lies and secrets of those at Pledis," Mingyu added, looking incredibly invested. "You have no idea how many people have been exposed because of this blog. Whole companies have crumbled because of TheSecretTeller."

"He's exaggerating," Wonwoo grumbled. "This person just likes to ruins lives. There are some secrets that were meant to stay hidden."

Mingyu rolled his eyes. "That’s what people with things to hide say," he muttered before shoving the phone back into Jihoon's hand. "Read the article!"

[BREAKING!] Prince and heart throb Kwon Soonyoung has his eyes on someone… And it's not his fiancé?

TheSecretTeller: Yesterday the youngest Golden Boy was spotted secretly leaving his dorm in the dead of night. And to go where? To visit the infamous Lee Jihoon.

You all might know him as Bronze Prince Lee Jihoon, Yoon Jeonghan's newest prey. But recently, he's been gaining attention for having captured the heart of resident bad boy, Choi Seungcheol.

Now, it seems like he may have captured another one in his web. Kwon Soonyoung was spotted outside of Jihoon's room. For what reason could those two be meeting outside of classes? The two are partners for a project, but could their time together have blossomed into something more?

It seems Gold Princess Lee Sowon should look out… Otherwise her future husband may be stolen right under her nose!

Underneath was a blurry but clearly distinguishable picture of Jihoon letting Soonyoung into his dorm the night before.

Jihoon was at a loss for words. "And I didn’t think this school could get any more ridiculous."

"Wow, where does this person get this information?" Wonwoo asked, amazed as he took the phone and enlarged the photo. "Are you being stalked or something?"

Jihoon felt like digging a hole and crawling into it. He hadn't thought he could get more embarrassed. "This person's crazy. They don’t have any idea what they're talking about. Soonyoung doesn’t like me."

At that Wonwoo and Mingyu exchanged a subtle glance before Mingyu took his phone back, scrolling down the page. "Wow, over a thousand hits. That’s more than the rumor about the scholarship student."

"What rumor?" Wonwoo asked and Mingyu showed him the headline.

[RUMOR] There's a fox in the henhouse… And that fox is a scholarship student! 

TheSecretTeller: To the scholarship student pretending to be a Bronze… This is a warning. Hide your secret well or start preparing a lie, because I'm coming to reveal you.

Jihoon's blood went cold. There was no way that this person could have known, that anyone could have known, and yet somehow… Jihoon felt like this person knew exactly who he was.

"Are you alright Jihoon?" Wonwoo asked, concerned at his frozen stance.

"Don’t worry." Mingyu clapped him on the back. "Once TheSecretTeller reveals who the scholarship student is, everyone will forget all about you and Soonyoung."

"Right," Jihoon said. That was exactly what he was worried about.

-----

"Is that him?"

"Yeah, that’s him. The fiancé stealer."

"Isn't gold digger a more appropriate term?"

Jihoon was expecting the comments, but that didn’t mean they didn’t sting any less. Ever since the article on the blog had come out he had been harassed the whole day with whispers and rumors of him trying to seduce all of the Golden Boys. Which was ridiculous considering he felt he was being more harassed than them.

"If I find Kwon Soonyoung, I’m going to kill him."

Jihoon really should have just kept walking and kept his head down. But unfortunately bad luck seemed to follow him these days because against his gut feeling he slowed his pace to see who had been talking.

It was coming from the group of girls passing by, all of whom who Jihoon identified as Golds from their name plates. He recognized a couple of them, one of them Sana who had already publicly expressed her dislike for him, and the sisters Eunha and SinB who were well known around the school. But heading the group and causing a pit of dread to form in Jihoon’s stomach, was Lee Sowon.

Jihoon hadn't seen Sowon since Busan. There was nothing between them, they could barely be called acquaintances, much less friends, but even though she hadn't ever shown any dislike towards him, Jihoon didn’t think anyone would like the person their fiancé may be cheating on them with. Even if it was just a stupid rumor.

"That piece of , how could he even think of even looking at someone else?" SinB scowled, darting between Sowon and her sister. She seemed fired up. "Who does he think he is? Just because he's from Kwon Industries does he think he can do whatever he wants?"

"Come on, I’m sure its just a stupid rumor," Eunha chastised. "You really think Soonyoung would do that? He never even looked at any girls before he met Sowon."

"That would make sense, if he was gay," SinB commented sarcastically and her sister leaned over to smack her arm.

"It’s Lee Jihoon though," Sana claimed, looking like the name gave her a bad taste in . "He was already chasing after Seungcheol and ruined my chances with him. Now I bet he’s trying to steal Soonyoung too."

Part of Jihoon wanted to confront them and tell them that everything they were saying was complete bull, but he also knew nothing good would come out of it. Trying to blend in with the crowd, he kept his head down as he walked past but it didn’t seem like they would let him go without a fight.

"Look, there is he now." Sana sneered, catching sight of his faded pink hair. She raised her voice to be heard over the crowd. "Off to steal another person’s boyfriend? Unfortunately I think the rest of the Golden Boys are single. Does that make you lose the thrill of the chase?"

Jihoon clenched his teeth and he couldn’t help himself when he turned around. He was just so sick of it all, being treated like he had killed someone when he hadn't even done anything wrong. "I’m not trying to steal Soonyoung and I don’t like Seungcheol."

They were beginning to gather a crowd, which was everything Jihoon had wanted to avoid.

"Then start acting like it. Stay away from them," Sana snapped.

"Listen," SinB said, trying to sound compassionate but coming out pityingly. "I know their money may seem attractive… But they're just not for people like you."

"People like me?" Jihoon gasped out, like he had been struck. Just when he had thought he was getting used to the school, they brought up stupid things like their imaginary hierarchy again. Were all the people at Pledis spoiled rich brats?

SinB looked unsure of how to word it, so Eunha stepped in. "You know… Your status. Nothing you can do to change it. You just need to stay where you belong." 

"What she means to say is that you’re a Bronze, and Soonyoung and Seungcheol are Gold’s. So stay away from them, and we won’t have any problems." Sana added.

"Guys, come on." Surprisingly it was Sowon that had cut in, who had been silent for the whole conversation. When she glanced at Jihoon she seemed almost apologetic, but she kept their interaction short. "Just drop it, it’s not that big of a deal." She seemed uncomfortable with the crowd of students that had gathered to watch.

But Jihoon had had enough. He was tired of the constant discrimination towards his wealth, and being looked down upon by people he didn’t know. He surely wasn’t the only Bronze being treated that way and he didn’t think anyone deserved such a rude attitude for something they couldn't control. "Just because you're a Gold doesn’t mean that you're better than anyone else."

A flash of annoyance crossed Sana’s pretty face. "There’s a hierarchy in Pledis for a reason. And it’s because we are better than you."

Jihoon tensed, fists clenching. Before he could respond, a figure broke through the crowd and whispers began to break out.

"Is there a problem here?" Soonyoung asked, coming to stand between the groups. He barely glanced at Jihoon, standing in front of him and facing the girls.

SinB scoffed as Sana backed off. "Nothing Soonyoung. We were just trying to get an answer out of Lee Jihoon, since you're quite difficult to get a hold of." She frowned and pointed towards past him. "But since you're here, lets make it public. Do you like Lee Jihoon? Because if you're cheating on your fiancé Sowon then we’re going to have a bit of a problem."

The crowd broke out into gossip but Soonyoung spoke above them without hesitating. "Jihoon and I are just friends. We were working on our project for class last night, there isn't anything between us." He then stepped forward and reached out to Sowon, gently taking her elbow. "Come on, we should talk."

Sowon’s gaze slid briefly to Jihoon before she nodded her head and let herself be led away from the group. Eunha and SinB left afterwards, and Sana threw him another glare before following behind. Gradually the crowd began to disperse.

Jihoon should have felt relieved. Soonyoung had salvaged the situation before it could get out of hand and quelled the rumors, but he couldn’t help the pang in his heart at Soonyoung’s words.

Right, they were just friends. He needed to remind himself that he should really start acting like one.

-----

The day had gotten progressively worse from then on. There had been a new article uploaded onto The Golden Rule, entitled [NEW] Lovers spat between the Prince and Princess Couple? with a picture of Soonyoung taking Sowon away from the crowd. Whoever TheSecretTeller was they clearly had it out for him and must have a radar for drama.

The taunts had been getting to him, so Jihoon had taken shelter in his favorite music room, the small single room at the end. He had just been getting back into music, but he still couldn’t seem to come up with any original compositions. It was starting to annoy him but at least he could keep himself sharp by playing sheet music.

Jihoon wasn’t surprised when the door behind him slid open. Seungcheol always had a way of finding him.

"I knew I’d find you here," Seungcheol commented, leaning in the doorway with his usual sly grin on his face. "This is always where you go when you're hiding from someone."

"I’m not hiding," Jihoon snapped, spinning around. There was an unusual tenseness between the two. After having talked to Seungkwan, suddenly Seungcheol’s unusual interest in him had begun to make sense. Seungcheol didn’t like him, he was just using him to get to Soonyoung. But Jihoon wouldn’t let him.

"Kittens got claws," Seungcheol said, eyebrows furrowing. He made his way into the small room and slid into a chair opposite of Jihoon. "What’s with the attitude? It’s not my fault you're front page news."

"You know It’s all lies and rumors," Jihoon scowled. He didn’t need Seungcheol of all people to be lecturing him. 

Seungcheol leaned back in his chair, eyeing him suspiciously. "I wouldn’t say they're all lies. I know the way Soonyoung looks at you, and I certainly know the way you look at him."

Jihoon leaned forward and stabbed Seungcheol hard in the chest with his finger. He could feel his face flushing, but whether it was from embarrassment or annoyance he wasn’t sure. He didn’t need any more trouble with the Golden Boys, and he didn’t want any new rumors started. Especially ones that weren't true. "There’s nothing going on between us." And then he scowled. "Besides, how would you know? It’s not like we’re friends." 

Seungcheol pushed his hand away, but there was an unamused smile on his face. "Really now kitten, I had thought we were getting close."

"You don’t know anything about me," Jihoon hissed.

The black haired man smiled, almost softly, before sitting forward. "How about we talk then, like friends." He ignored Jihoon’s scoff and continued, pulling his phone from his pocket. "I’m here to give you a warning."

He handed the phone to Jihoon and the pink haired boy received it skeptically. But when Jihoon looked at the picture of a couple walking along the beach, even from a distance Jihoon could recognize the two figures.

"Do you know why Soonyoung was in Busan last weekend?" There wasn’t an ounce of amusement or kindness in Seungcheol’s voice. "It’s because he and Sowon were taking their engagement photos."

Seungcheol watched him carefully, gauging his reaction. "That’s how they met, didn’t they? On vacation in Busan?" He smiled and leaned back. "Or so I’ve heard… It was love at first sight."

Jihoon’s mind went blank. His mind was whirling like a machine that had found all the puzzle pieces and was finally able to put them together. Both Soonyoung and Sowon had been in Busan for a reason, and like a fool in love Jihoon hadn't questioned the coincidences at all.

Jihoon had given Soonyoung the benefit of the doubt and agreed to be friends with him. To forget all of his feelings for him so that they could start again. He had agreed to mutual trust, and yet there was proof once again that Kwon Soonyoung had let him down and lied to his face.

He really was a fool.

Seungcheol smiled, like he was relieved the truth was finally coming to light. "I warned you. One day you were going to have to choose between me or him. But you can’t trust someone like Kwon Soonyoung."

"Because you know him, right?" Jihoon countered, feeling his face flush with irritation. A sudden surge of anger passed through him, though he wasn’t sure if he was mad or embarassed. "Because you two have known each other since you were children, and you have some sick rivalry going on and get amusement out of playing secret admirer. Admit it Seungcheol, you never liked me. You just wanted to win against Soonyoung."

Jihoon had never seen Seungcheol so angry. His whole features changed in a flash. There was still a smile on his face but there wasn’t an ounce of kindness remaining. Every part of his body was tense and his fists were clenched by his side. Pure anger burned in his gaze.

"It’s not up to you to decide whether I like someone or not," Seungcheol snarled, voice taut like a bowstring. He was practically vibrating with anger in his seat.

"Then stop pretending, Seungcheol!" Jihoon finally exploded, jumping to his feet. He could feel the stress from the day building up and he was finally faced with someone he could confront. He was furious with Seungcheol, but deep down Jihoon knew the one he was truly angry at was himself. "We both know the only person you care about is yourself." He laughed almost hysterically. "You enjoy this don’t you? Playing with other peoples feelings, like we’re all pieces in a chessboard. Well, I’m tired of being dispensable. Go play with some other toy because I’m done with your games."

Before Jihoon could turn and leave, Seungcheol reached out and grabbed him by the wrist. He gave a tight yank and pulled him down until the two were staring each other in the eye. 

"You were never a game, Lee Jihoon. And I’m not pretending."

-----

 

(A/N: Hello everyone! I feel like it took me three years to write this chapter… Sorry~~

Jihoon is having an internal crisis, Soonyoung ed up again, who tf is Doyoon, and Seungcheol….. The jicheol tho….

And can we talk about Seventeens newest comeback???? TT^TT Im crying.

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think in the comments section! And to all of those who thought Doyoon is dead… Im not THAT mean! >>;;;;; )