Extra 02. A Gold's Gathering

Golden Boys

 

“Young master, we have arrived at the Yoon residence.”


“Ah, wonderful Butler Kim. You may now drive us back to the hotel since we have successfully graced them with my presence. If we drive quick I can make it for the latest episode of my favorite drama.”


“We both know your mother would be very disappointed if she heard that you did not attend your monthly gathering with the other boys.”


“Quite true, my mother would be very disheartened. It may even be bad for her health! But between us, we could avoid such a thing if we kept this a secret between us two. No need to worry her old heart.”


“Sir…”


“No need to say anything else. I can see we’ve come to an agreement. Why don’t you even take a break and sit in the passenger seat since I know you work so hard, and I can drive us back.”


“Wonwoo,” Butler Kim said as he turned around in the driver's seat, forcing a smile but looking exasperated. “Please. You’re going to be late. Think about your manners.”


Jeon Wonwoo suppressed a groan, slouching in the back seat of the car like a child being punished, which he basically was. “We’re going to visit Yoon Jeonghan. I don’t think it’s my manners you should be worried about.”


Unfortunately, no matter how much Wonwoo whined and complained there was no getting out of tonight's dinner. Every month Yoon Jeonghan set up a dinner at his mansion for the Golden Boys to ‘reconnect’ and ‘bond’, even though they saw each other every day at school. Wonwoo would have stopped going long ago, but somehow through Jeonghan’s charm and wit he had convinced their parents that this was a great experience for their son, and thus his mother would have flown across the country and killed him herself if she found out he was skipping the gatherings.


It had become more of a habit of complaining and attempting to get out of the event than actually trying to because no one scared Wonwoo more than his mother. Only in his dreams would he ever win.


After much unnecessary time wasting, Wonwoo finally dragged himself out of the car and towards the building. The Yoon Residence was just as extravagant as Jeonghan was, and it was clear where he got his elitist attitude from. He lived in a huge mansion in Seoul that over a massive outdoor swimming pool and private tennis court. Large white pillars with stone walkways and intricately cut hedges were spread out across the vast land. And the inside furnishing was ll clean cut white marble flooring, tall ceilings with overhead lighting and large windows. To the Yoon’s, a mansion was synonymous to a castle.


“Welcome, sir Jeon. Please, let me take your jacket and you to the dining room.” One of their butler’s said, sliding up to him and taking his jacket and bag.


The entrance to the house was framed with huge pictures of the Yoon family and it always made Wonwoo uncomfortable to be surrounded by six Jeonghan’s all staring at him at one. At least he got some pleasure of wiping his wet shoes on the expensive hallway rug.


“Which dining room is it today,” Wonwoo asked, following the man through the winding hallways of the mansion. Really, Jeonghan was an only child and his parents were often traveling for their fashion shows, so there wasn’t any need for a family of three to have such an enormous house.


“Dining room three today, sir.”


The butler opened the door and held it open for him. Wonwoo took a deep breath to mutely pray for his sanity before he stepped into the room. The occupants of the room all stopped in their conversation to turn to him.


“Oh my, it’s Wonwoo! Come sit down dear, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen you.” Mrs. Yoon said, a youthful and impeccably dressed woman.


“Hello, thank you for having me,” Wonwoo said politely, bowing to Jeonghan’s parents who were eating at the head of the table. On either side of them was Jeonghan, who was smirking in his direction, and Seungcheol who was picking at his steak.


He took a seat across from Joshua, who smiled kindly at him and offered him a drink.


“Of course, young man. It’s nice seeing you. How is school going?” Mr. Yoon asked, sipping at expensive wine out of an even more expensive wine glass. Jeonghan’s parents were very different from his own. His parents were around the same age, but they always seemed older, probably due to the stress and seriousness of their jobs. Wonwoo hadn’t seen them in anything but pants suit in months but the Yoon’s dressed in pieces from their own clothing line, modern and chic and forward fashion.


“School’s going very well, thank you,” Wonwoo said as the butlers served him his first course. At least the food was always good.


“Have you been thinking about college’s, these days?” Mr. Yoon continued. “There are some amazing law schools in Seoul, but that doesn’t mean you can’t look around in other countries. Overseas has some great programs as well, and it helps that you’re fluent in a number of languages.”


“What type of law were you looking into, Wonwoo dear?” Mrs. Yoon asked, waving a heavily bejeweled hand that had bracelets and rings adorning it. “Are you looking into prosecution like your parents?”


“Actually, I’ve been thinking about civil law,” Wonwoo replied.


The atmosphere dropped. Mr. and Mrs. Yoon glanced at each other in confusion and disdain, while Jeonghan shot him an irritated glare. A thinly concealed smile spread across Wonwoo’s face, “Just kidding,” he joked and the table chuckled awkwardly with him. He had to control himself to keep the eye roll off of his features.


“That’s good then, dear. Becoming a prosecutor seems like a much better occupation for you. I’m sure you already have a spot in your parents law firm as well,” Mrs. Yoon hastily added.


“Of course,” Wonwoo replied mildly.


Mr. Yoon quickly changed the subject, asking the other boys about their schooling. Jeonghan continued to give him warning glares but Wonwoo elected to ignore him and instead focused on the steak he was given.  If he couldn’t enjoy good conversation he may as well enjoy the food.


Joshua was still first place in his year, though there was no surprise there. It was well known that he was the smartest in his class, and possibly the smartest student to have gone to Pledis in a long time. It seemed he was visiting colleges in Seoul and his plan of becoming a surgeon was still going strong. He was shadowing doctors in his free time when he didn’t have Student Council President duties.


Seungcheol was… Well, Seungcheol. He dodged the questions about school and his grades and chose to talk about how their basketball team was going to be going to the finals in their league championship. Wonwoo knew for a fact Seungcheol was smart, but the older just didn’t care for school and spent more time sleeping than actually attending class. It didn’t matter anyway, Seungcheol could buy his way into any school he wanted.


The parents didn’t mention anything about Jeonghan’s plans, partially because they already knew being his parents and all, but also probably because Jeonghan’s grades weren’t spectacular and regardless of being a senior the older boy hadn’t been planning about college at all. 


Wonwoo was busy contemplating how much steak he could eat in one sitting when the doors to the dining room opened and the butler ushered in another guest.


It was Kwon Soonyoung. Wonwoo hadn’t gotten a good look at him since he had returned from the summer. The last Golden Boy had his newly dyed brown hair pushed neatly off his forehead, and his thin body was dressed in an appropriate navy blue suit with expensive shoes and a watch to match. He looked amazing, but up close Wonwoo could see there was exhaustion and fatigue pulling at his features, and a defeated feel to his gaze. He bowed politely as the Yoons fawned over him, returning a soft but tired smile.


“My darling Soonyoung, we haven’t seen you in ages!” Mrs. Yoon said fondly, motioning for him to take a seat beside Joshua.


“Yes, my boy. How is your father doing? Your branches in Japan have been booming these days!”


Soonyoung smiled politely as he fell into the chair, the butlers immediately setting him up for dinner. “My father is doing quite well, he’s been busy managing the companies. He’s been expanding the business in Japan and further refining the main branch in Seoul. Unfortunately not a lot of time for anything but paperwork and business meetings.”


“That’s too bad, hopefully we can have a good game of golf soon! We were just talking about school plans. Of course, you and Wonwoo have another year left, but have you been thinking of your future?” Mr. Yoon said it in a way that implied thinking of anything else was ludicrous. 


Soonyoung dipped his head. “Of course, Mr. Yoon. I’ve been beginning to look at schools, but my father has offered me an intern position over the summer.”


Mr. Yoon clapped his hands. “Fantastic, my boy. You seem to have your future all set out for you.”


A sly smile appeared on her face and Mrs. Yoon turned teasing. “And honey, we were so stunned when we go the news in the mail,” she nudged her husband. “You’ve really grown up into a dashing young man. When will you be holding the wedding?”


Wonwoo had known the engagement would come up during the conversation, it was all over the news and the Yoon’s loved gossip, but he hadn’t expected Kwon Soonyoung to freeze up in response. The boy’s hands stilled, shoulders turning tense, and he had cast a wary glance in Wonwoo’s direction when he thought he wasn’t looking. Curious. With the way Soonyoung had been acting during school he would have thought the other would be excited about the engagement. It was a huge gain for Kwon Industries to be partnering with Lee Enterprises.


“We’ve decided to wait on the wedding, until after we’ve both graduated from high school,” Soonyoung said, voice strangely tight. 


The Yoon’s didn’t seem to notice the awkward atmosphere, continuing to barage the boy with questions. “Oh, but that’s such a long time! Well, at least it will give you time to get to know her better. You’ve found an amazing girl; Lee Sowon is the only daughter of Lee Enterprises, and quite a smart girl at that. We’ve had her model for our brand before. How did you two happen to meet?”


“Yes, how did you two meet?” It was surprisingly Seungcheol that jumped in. The older boy was sprawled out in his chair, pointing a fork in his direction with a strangely intense gaze.


Soonyoung shifted uncomfortably, though he cast a glare in Seungcheol’s direction when no one was looking. “We met while we were both vacationing near Busan over the summer. We became close quite naturally.”


“Lovely, such a romantic story. Love at first sight I’ve heard, am I correct?” Mrs. Yoon asked, staring dreamily as if she was already creating their wedding attire in her mind. Wonwoo could see Seungcheol roll his eyes visibly.


He wasn’t quite sure why Seungcheol seemed so invested in Soonyoung’s engagement. Maybe because the Lee Enterprise was such a huge company and Seungcheol would have preferred them to be partnering with the Diamond chain. But Seungcheol had never been interested in business affairs, and had never shown interest in Lee Sowon...


When Soonyoung smiled, there was a bitterness to the upturn of his lips that Wonwoo didn’t quite understand. “Of course,” he murmured quietly, picking at his food. “Love at first sight.”

 

-----

 

(A/N: I hope you all have had a lovely holiday and a happy new years! Thank you for your patience and sorry about the long wait! Here is an insight into some of the Golden Boys lives... They don't have it as easy as others may think.

If anyone is interested, I've started another story (god another one I know...) inspired by Studio Ghibli and Howl's Moving Castle. It is called the House of Wanderers! If you're interested please check it out ^^

As always, thank you for reading! Your comments mean a lot to me! <3 )