12. A Choice

Golden Boys

 

Jihoon spent the rest of the day in a daze. He should have been paying attention in class but his mind kept going back to that morning. He couldn’t focus at all and he was beginning to wonder if he should just go back to his room instead of suffering through classes.


It had been a couple of days since Soonyoung’s engagement had been announced but Jihoon was still having trouble adjusting. Hoshi’s face was all over the news, the country going wild at one of the richest bachelors tying the knot and two of the biggest rival companies joining together. It was difficult to adjust to the wealth that a Golden Boy was. Jihoon always expected Soonyoung to walk in with neon colored running gear, but instead he always strode into class wearing the most pristine uniform with every brown hair in place and face stoic and serious. 


Each time Jihoon saw Soonyoung his heart hurt. Outside of class the boy continued to pretend he didn’t exist, barely talking to anyone other than Seokmin and studying seriously during classes. Jihoon would pass him every once and awhile on his way to the Performing Arts Center to practice music, but not once did Soonyoung acknowledge his existence.


And then Soonyoung had gone and given him that sad, longing look that morning in class. Almost like he was apologetic. The closest he had gotten to Hoshi. But then he was gone. Jihoon knew it wouldn’t last.


Because he wasn’t Hoshi. He was Kwon Soonyoung.


Letting out a frustrated sigh, Jihoon dropped his head onto his desk. Hansol, who was studiously doodling on his notebook while they were supposed to be studying, jumped nearly a foot.


“Jihoon, are you okay…?” Hansol asked gently, reaching out to rub him on the shoulder.


Jihoon just groaned into the desk.


“I’ll take that as a no…” Hansol said, resuming his shoulder rubbing. “You’ve been pretty down lately,” he commented. “What’s going on? Are people still bothering you?”


Jihoon turned his head, so he was staring at Hansol with his cheek pressed against the desk. “No, that’s not it…” Not entirely true, the bullying had decreased but they were still there. However poor Hansol didn’t need to know that.


“Is it Kwon Soonyoung?”


Jihoon shot up, once again scaring Hansol who retracted his hand. “What? What are you talking about?”


Hansol’s eyes were wide and he lifted his hands hesitantly. “I’m not sure… It’s just you seemed really sad the day the news about his engagement came out.” And then he leaned forward, glancing around to see if anyone was listening. “And I see him staring at you a lot in the cafeteria.”


He hadn’t realized Hansol was so observant. He wondered if Hansol had caught him glancing at Soonyoung as well. “No. Absolutely nothing going on with Kwon Soonyoung,” Jihoon scowled.


Hansol nodded, though he didn’t look convinced. “Ah, okay then… Is it Choi Seungcheol then? He’s been following you around a lot as well. I heard he came looking for you this morning.”


Jihoon gaped. He really had to give the kid some credit. “No, it’s not Seungcheol either,” he said with a sigh.


“Alright then… If you need anything, just let me know,” Hansol said with a smile. Jihoon nodded and pat him affectionately on the shoulder in thanks.


Leaning back onto his desk to try attempt to do some work, Jihoon fell into thought again. Choi Seungcheol was another problem. After meeting him in the piano room, Seungcheol had begun acting friendlier toward him. If he was around he would walk Jihoon to all his classes, offering him gifts ranging from candy to jewelry (most of which Jihoon refused outright).


Before Jihoon had been sure Seungcheol’s flirting had just been to attract attention from the student body, but now Jihoon wasn’t so sure. There were no more flashy proposals, no more giant teddy bears or big bouquets of flowers. Seungcheol seemed to be truly interested in getting to know Jihoon, always asking him how his classes were and about his home life and music. It was almost like they were friends.


Still, Jihoon wasn’t sure he could trust him. He was still a Golden Boy.


Remember Jihoon, just get through these two school years and then you’re off to college and never have to meet any of them ever again.


However when Jihoon glanced over at Hansol who was drawing an intricate robot onto his music theory pages he couldn’t help but smile. And then he thought of Wonwoo who had shoved a cup of coffee into his hands that morning in class with the reasoning of ‘you look like ’, and Mingyu who had let him copy his notes. Maybe he’d make a couple of exceptions.

 


“See you tonight at Choir practice Jihoon!” Hansol waved, heading toward his next class. Jihoon nodded his head in return before putting his head sets back on so he could listen to music until his next class.


He was trying to come up with some piano chords when his headphones were suddenly yanked off his head, jerking his neck, and his papers were thrown to the ground.


Jihoon looked up in surprise, rubbing at where his hair had been pulled. A group of five girls were standing in front of him, Silvers and Golds that he had recognized from his class. 


“Stop hanging around Choi Seungcheol,” the short haired girl snapped, a Silver named Jungyeon. 


“Don’t you know he’s a Gold?” Sana said, a transfer Gold student by Japan. “You’re just a Bronze. You’re beneath him. You’re just tarnishing his reputation by being anywhere near him. If you knew better you would just leave him alone.”


Jihoon scowled, clenching his fists on the table. “I don’t want Choi Seungcheol to be hanging around me,” he finally snapped. He was fed up of all these people calling him a worthless Bronze. He knew that money didn’t equate to someone’s worth, but with it continuously shoved into his face it was beginning to get hard to ignore. “Why don’t you go tell him to stop bothering me if you’re so jealous?”


A gasp went out across the room. The girls looked scandalized. “Jealous? Why would I, a Gold, be jealous of someone like you?” Sana stepped forward, face burning red and pushed her finger against his forehead. “You are no one. And I would appreciate it-”


“I would appreciate it if you stopped talking for a moment, Minatozaki Sana.”


Murmurs broke out into the classroom. Choi Seungcheol had walked into the room and came to a stop in front of Jihoon’s desk. He was trying to smirk with his usual charm, but there was an annoyed look in his eyes and a bite to his tone. He reached out and removed Sana’s hand from Jihoon’s face, pulling her away.


The group of girls were staring at him, shellshocked. “Seungcheol, I can explain,” Sana said quickly, “It’s just, this Bronze is hurting your reputation. Do you know what the students have been saying? That you’ve been seduced by a Bronze!”


Jihoon wasn’t sure if he was shocked, disgusted or both. He had seduced Seungcheol? He wasn’t sure there was a rumor that was more wrong.


Sana was sliding up to Seungcheol’s side, trying to loop her arm around his. “But I know that’s not true. It’s just that you’re too nice to say anything, so I thought I should do it for you-”


Seungcheol easily slid out of her grip, reaching down to pick up Jihoon’s headphone and his piano sheets. He handed them back to Jihoon before reaching out and cradling Sana’s face with one hand. He smiled, lopsided but amused. “Next time, don’t think.”


He dropped his hand, turning back to Jihoon who was openly gaping at them. He winked cheekily at him before moving to the seat directly behind his. He threw his backpack onto the ground and leaned back in his chair.


The class broke into gossip, everyone craning to get a better look. Sana looked completely stunned while the other girls grabbed her and pulled her back to her chair.


“Hey Jihoon.” Jihoon jumped when a pencil poked him in the shoulder. He spun around, mind whirling and not quite able to comprehend what had just happened. 


Seungcheol was smiling at him, black hair messy and dimple showing. “I brought this for you,” he said. He procured a single rose from his pocket and held it out.


Now Jihoon was openly gaping and speechless. He glanced around as the class stared at them, their whispering intensifying. “Seungcheol-”


“No need to thank me,” Seungcheol laughed. He reached out and ruffled Jihoon’s hair. “You’re cute face is thanks enough for me.”


Jihoon slapped his hand away, face burning. “Seungcheol, what are you doing?” He hissed. “Everyone’s watching.”


Seungcheol waved his hand, as if the other classmates would just disappear at will. “What, you don’t like it?”


Jihoon was frowning at him now, unsure if he should take the gift. “Why are you doing this? You don’t like me.”


Seungcheol cocked an eyebrow, a thin smile settling on his lips. “And who said that? I never said that. I actually find you quite interesting.” And then his smile shifted a bit, his tone turning irritated and a little less nice. “What, would you rather have Kwon Soonyoung?”


Jihoon’s eyes went wide. No one was supposed to know about his relationship with Kwon Soonyoung. He shifted away, unsure of what to say. No one was close enough to hear them and Jihoon wanted to keep it that wy. “You have no idea what you’re talking about.”


Seungcheol’s grin was crooked. “You’re really opposed to me? What does Kwon Soonyoung have that I don’t?” He leaned forward, pressing the rose into Jihoon’s hand. “Think about it kitten. Who’s the one that broke your heart?”


Before Jihoon could respond, Seungcheol stood up, chair scraping.


“Today’s class wasn’t as interesting as I thought it was going to be. I’m out,” he said, grabbing his bag. He made for the door but paused, glancing over at Jihoon one last time.


“Think about it, Lee Jihoon. Eventually, you’re going to have to make a choice. Me or him.”

 


“Lee Jihoon!”


Before Jihoon could even be surprised by his name being hissed in his ear, hands were grabbing at his shirt and yanked him into a booth in the cafeteria. Thankfully he hadn’t had any food in his hands otherwise they would have been all over him and the occupants.


Mingyu was trying to shush him, still grabbing onto his shirt, while Wonwoo had his hand over his face and was trying to look like they didn’t exist.


“What the hell Mingyu?” Jihoon whispered, pulling himself out of his grip and straightening his shirt. He was having quite enough of being manhandled lately. “What was that for?”


“Why can’t you stay out of trouble for one day?” Mingyu half whispered half yelled. He wasn’t doing very well at the ‘quiet thing’.


Jihoon huffed, looking annoyed. “It’s not like I go looking for trouble! It’s Seungcheol’s fault.”


“Did Seungcheol really confess to you today?” Wonwoo asked, taking a sip of his drink.


Jihoon’s mind wandered back to his conversation with Seungcheol only a few hours ago. He was still reeling, he didn’t know how he had found out about his relationship with Kwon Soonyoung. “I don't know. I couldn’t tell if it was serious or not.”


“From what I heard it was serious,” Wonwoo said curiously. “Seungcheol’s confessions are usually very extravagant, so since it was more tame I would say he was being very serious.”


Mingyu groaned out loud, falling onto the table dramatically. “We’re doomed. Jeonghan’s going to kill us one by one, revive us, and then kill us again.”


Wonwoo and Jihoon simultaneously rolled their eyes. 


“It didn’t seem like a confession,” Jihoon said, feeling his face flushing against his will. He was glad they were in a booth and it was slightly dark. 


“I heard he asked you to choose between him and someone else.” Wonwoo pointed out.


“Someone else?” Mingyu gasped, looking at him. “Are you dating someone else?”


“No!” Jihoon said, but his response was too quick and the other two exchanged glances. “No, really. I’m not in a relationship or anything and I don’t like anyone else. Seungcheol was just being dramatic.”


The two didn’t look convinced, but Wonwoo let it drop. “Whatever you say…”


Glad that his friends weren’t too nosy, Jihoon sighed and leaned on the table, reaching over to take some of his friends fries.


“I’m getting really sick of the food here,” Jihoon said, picking at their trays. The food at the cafeteria was beyond nice, but it felt like going out to eat everyday and he was starting to get sick of the richness in every dish.


“Why don’t you come over to my dorm this weekend and I’ll cook?” Mingyu offered, eyes lighting up. His parents were both five star chefs and cooking ran in the family. “I can make us a great dinner! Whatever you want. Traditional Korean food, western…”


Jihoon smiled apologetically at him. “I’m sorry Mingyu. I’ll have to take a raincheck. I’m actually waiting for confirmation from my mom to go home this weekend.”


Mingyu deflated, but he still smiled. “Well that’s nice. I hope you have a good time.” He then turned to Wonwoo, reaching over to punch his friend in the arm. “Looks like it’s just you and me, Wonwoo!”


Wonwoo glanced up from where he was languidly stirring his drink. He looked apologetic. “I’m sorry Mingyu, I can’t. I have a… Group dinner this weekend.”


Mingyu tipped his head, confused, before realization dawned on him and his face fell. He nodded solemnly, putting his head down to stir his food. Wonwoo looked unsure of what to say, stirring his drink but continuing to glance in Mingyu’s direction.


Jihoon didn’t understand, clearly missing out on something, but he guessed it was just something the other two needed to work on. “Well I hope you have a nice dinner this weekend, Wonwoo,” Jihoon offered before clapping Mingyu on the back. “We’ll just have to reschedule dinner so I can see if you’re really a genius chef or not, okay?” He smiled and Mingyu gave him a short smile in return. “I’m not really hungry so I’m going to head out.”


The two nodded to him, waving as Jihoon removed himself from the booth.


“Jihoon.” Jihoon glanced over at them and Wonwoo was smiling, but he looked worried. “Be careful of the Golden Boys. They’ve taken an interest in you and I’m not sure even I’ll be able to protect you.”


But Jihoon merely smiled kindly in return. Really, these were friends he never thought he would meet. He was incredibly thankful. “I will,” he reassured. “Hopefully you won’t have to soon.”

 


Stepping into the Performing Arts Center and not heading toward his special individual music room was a change for Jihoon. He had never explored the building and it turned out to be bigger than he had thought. He still hadn’t been in the main performance hall but he always saw Soonyoung coming out of that part so he avoided it as much as he could. Choir practice was on the second floor, in a big classroom at the edge of the hall.


There was a low chatter as he walked inside. Jihoon immediately spotted Hansol who was listening to something on his phone. Really, Hansol was the only reason he was there. Jihoon didn’t usually sing in front of others and he kept his musical talents to himself. Maybe for once it would be fun to do a hobby for himself.


“Jihoon, you came!” Hansol said brightly, pulling his earphones out and lighting up. Jihoon smiled and pat him on the head, taking a seat beside him. Hansol leaned over toward him, “Honestly, I wasn’t sure you would come.”


Jihoon raised his eyebrows. “Really? Why?”


Hansol just shrugged, putting his things away. “Since I kind of dragged you into it and I know you didn’t want to come.”


Jihoon smiled softly and ruffled the younger boy’s hair. “Well, you kind of did. But I’m glad you did. I haven’t sung in a while and it’s nice to be doing something for fun.”


Hansol brightened. “You seem a little happier. I’m glad.”


“Oh, is that my dear Leonardo Dicaprio?”


The two boys glanced up as Boo Seungkwan, a Silver, slid into view. Jihoon belatedly remembered that he was the vice president of the club, so there would be more interaction with the boy than Jihoon would have preferred.


“Oh, hello,” Hansol said, looking as surprised as he always did whenever Seungkwan was within a five mile radius. 


“I’m glad you came to Choir! We’re going to have such a great year. When are you going to rap for us, handsome?” Seungkwan said, taking a seat near them and staring at him dreamily.


Hansol looked so stunned that Jihoon couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped his mouth. Seungkwan sure was straight forward. “Um, I’m not sure. That’s kind of out of the blue…”


“Well, take your time, Hansol. We have all year,” Seungkwan smiled, batting his eyelashes. Hansol just looked lost.


Jihoon was having difficulty containing his laughter that Seungkwan finally spotted him. “Oh, and it looks like Lee Jihoon has joined you again!” He said, though this time he seemed more interested. “I’ve been hearing a lot of things about you. Choi Seungcheol has taken quite a fancy in you.” He leaned forward, taking a good look at the boy. “Though I wonder why. What is it about you that has captured the Golden Boy’s heart?”


At that Jihoon did laugh. “If only I knew, then I wouldn’t do it anymore.”


Seungkwan looked confused, furrowing his eyebrows. “Why not? Being pursued by a Golden Boy is practically a gift. They’re the richest students in the school. If only Choi Seungcheol was flirting with me.”


Jihoon chuckled, looking exasperated. “Take him. Please.”


Seungkwan was shaking his head. “I just don’t understand. It’s Choi Seungcheol.”


“Trust me, the Golden Boys are more trouble than I need.” Jihoon said, frowning. He understood the allure of their wealth, but other than that they had been nothing but trouble. 


“Boys? As in pleural?” Seungkwan asked, perking up. Jihoon mentally cursed his mouth, Seungkwan didn’t look like someone who could keep a secret.


“I did hear Seungcheol asking you to make a choice. Between him and someone else. Is that other person a Golden Boy?” When Jihoon was too late with a lie, Seungkwan gasped, leaning across the desk. “Seriously? My god, what did you do in your last life to get such luck and how do I do it?”


“I probably killed Ghandi or something,” Jihoon mumbled.


But Seungkwan wasn’t even listening, too invested in the newest gossip. “Who was it then? It couldn’t be Jeonghan. He absolutely loathes you. Or maybe that’s the allure? And I would never believe it’s Joshua. He’s too straight laced for any drama such as that.” Realization dawned on Seungkwan’s face and Jihoon suddenly regretted coming to choir.


“Is it Kwon Soonyoung?” Seungkwan gasped, mouth agape like a fish.


“No,” Jihoon said quickly, shutting him down, but Seungkwan just shook his head.


“There’s no one else. It has to be Kwon Soonyoung.” The brown haired boy didn’t look like he could believe it. He leaned back in his chair, looking faint. “Kwon Soonyoung and Choi Seungcheol fighting over you… What a dream.”


Jihoon was tempted to say ‘you try it then’, but he knew it would only fuel the other so he kept his mouth shut. It definitely didn’t feel like a dream. 


“They’re not fighting over me. It’s not Kwon Soonyoung,” Jihoon said, trying to quell the rumors before they caught on fire.


Seungkwan merely cocked an eyebrow, sitting up again to get a good look at Jihoon. “You’d better hope not. Because those two have had a long standing rivalry since they were kids.”


“Rivalry?” Hansol asked, breaking in. He looked concerned.


“Yeah, those two have been compared to each other ever since they were children. Who’s richer, who’s smarter, who’s better at sports… Those two couldn’t do anything without being pitted against each other. As much of a dream it would be to be chased after by both of them… I don’t think anyone would survive.”


Seungkwan locked his gaze onto Jihoon, whose mind was whirling with this new information. No wonder neither of them seemed to like each other. They had been at each other's throats for years.


“Sooner or later you’re going to have to make a choice, Lee Jihoon.


“Kwon Soonyoung or Choi Seungcheol?”

 

(A/N: Wow! Look who updated! Trust me, I'm amazed as well. Enjoy guys! And tell me what you think on my twitter @seeyousoonhoon)