06. Pledis High

Golden Boys

Lee Jihoon awoke to his alarm blaring in his ear. Groaning, he fumbled for his phone and only ended up knocking it off the bedside table and to the floor. Caught between the gloriousness of sleep and the horror that would be his first day of school, all he could think about was that this was not a good way to start the day.

 

After finally dragging himself out of his bed, Jihoon fished his phone from out under the bed and shut the alarm off. He rubbed at his eyes and put on some music as he got ready for class.

 

However the soothing music did nothing to calm his nerves. As much as he hated to admit it, the events of the previous day had thrown him off balance. He felt uneasy, like he could feel something bad coming his way. The feeling dug into the pit of his stomach and made him queasy. All he could think about was how the rest of the year would go. It wasn’t just the threat of bullying, but having to go to school for the rest of this year with these people. And what if they found out he was a scholarship student? As much as he himself didn’t care, it seemed like everyone else would. Part of him just wanted to escape back to Busan, but the thought of his obligations held him back.

 

After his shower Jihoon glanced in the mirror and winced. He had stayed awake most of the night, tossing and turning and blinking in and out of sleep only to wake up in a cold sweat dreading the morning. He had gotten two measly hours of sleep before his alarm had rudely awoken him, and that was not enough for someone who could sleep for twelve hours on average. And judging by the eye bags it seemed to show on his face.

 

I should have dyed my hair, Jihoon thought to himself sadly as he dried his bird’s nest of hair. The pink drew too much attention. Too late now. Maybe over the weekend he’d pick up some hair dye.

 

Feeling a bit better after the shower washed away some of his fears, Jihoon brushed his teeth and changed into his uniform.

 

He was thankful the school had given him a week’s set of uniforms because when he had tried to buy an extra for emergencies he had nearly spit out his drink at the checkout when the price had come to nearly $300 dollars. The cashier had given him a dirty look when he had backed out on the purchase, but he just didn’t have that much money. He just had to hope the uniforms he had would last him the rest of the year.

 

As he fixed his jacket in the mirror, Jihoon had to at least admit the clothes were nice (though not $300 dollars worthy). The uniforms were a heather gray consisting of smart looking lined slacks, a white button up and a choice of a vest, cardigan or blazer. He slipped on the vest and loosely tied his tie over his shirt. Then he finally clipped his bronze nameplate onto his shirt.

 

“So everyone knows I’m a Bronze,” Jihoon said bitterly, staring at the badge in the mirror.

 

Rolling his eyes, Jihoon grabbed his startlingly red backpack and headed into the living room. There was a note on the table written in Wonwoo’s neat print that his classes didn’t start for an hour but he wished him a good day at school. Jihoon had hoped the other was there to help him find his classes but he figured he’d be fine. He whipped up a quick breakfast and left the rest for Wonwoo if he wanted it before grabbing a water bottle and heading to class.

 

Now, Jihoon had prepared himself for the worst. After the previous day’s events he already had a picture in his head of what those silly rich kids were going to pull on the first day of school.

 

To say it was worse than he had thought would have been an understatement.

 

Jihoon had expected a few limo rides down the quarter mile from the dorms to the class buildings. He had not expected the fifty or so full size limos that were backed up down the street, nor the red carpet and flower petals, or the girl being carried on the shoulders of her bodyguards, or the antique palanquin someone was being carried in, or even the horses a group of students were riding to class…

 

All Jihoon could do was avoid getting hit by a limo and pray to god that he could make it through this school year.

 

“Oh my god look, it’s Yoon Jeonghan!”

 

Jihoon had to step into the flower bed to avoid being trampled by the fangirls and fanboys alike that stormed past him. Ah, that was where the helicopter pad was.

 

Parked atop the Campus Center was an obnoxiously pink helicopter with the words ‘Adore Me’ painted in fancy script. A boy (or at least Jihoon thought it was a boy, he had very luxurious blonde hair blowing in the wind) was being escorted out of the vehicle by bodyguards in full suits. There were a group of students cheering for him on the grass, some even had signs with ‘Prince Jeonghan’ and ‘I Adore You’ in LED lights. The boy brushed his long hair over his shoulder which only elicited a wave of crazed screaming.

 

Jihoon slowly and carefully made his way past the crowd to avoid catching the weird and headed to the green building, which if he remembered correctly was the Science Center. His advanced Anatomy and Physiology class was on the third floor so he took the stairs, bypassing a student who was struggling to be carried up on the back of her butlers. At least the rooms were nicely numbered in order so Jihoon didn’t have much trouble finding the classroom. He didn’t think he could handle conversing with any of the students around him.

 

There were only about twenty seats in the classroom, and about half of the students were there. Jihoon took a seat in back corner against the wall. Sitting in the back was routine, since he had the horrible habit of falling asleep or composing in class, and he usually learned better on his own reading textbooks anyway. He pulled out a notebook and pencil (standing out in stark difference against the students who were pouring over their expensive laptops) and rested his head on his hand, deciding he might get some sleep until class started. He knew a few of the students were glancing at him but he tried to block them out.

 

“Who’s that? Is that a new student?”

 

“I can’t see his badge. Is he a Gold?”

 

“No, I think he’s a Bronze. Whatever, just another one. I thought we might have someone worthwhile in this class!”

 

“Hey, I heard Kwon Soonyoung was taking this class? I only took it so I could see him.”

 

“He didn’t arrive on campus last night.”

 

“Oh, didn’t you hear about the rumor with Soonyoung? I heard that he fell in love over summer break and that’s where he’s been this whole time. He’s taking school off so he can get ready to propose.”

 

“What? No! What a . Kwon Soonyoung is mine!”

 

Jihoon had half a mind to stand up and tell the group of gossiping girls to shut up but before he could cause a scene, the door to the classroom slammed open and in strode Lee Seokmin with that eating grin of his on his face.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, Lee Seokmin has arrived,” the boy said, throwing out his hands and bowing exaggeratingly. A few girls giggled and Seokmin winked at them as he passed. Jihoon tried to avoid being seen by lifting his notebook in front of his face but it seemed his hair really stood out. Seokmin’s grin widened when he spotted the pink haired boy and he strode over. “Well look who it is! My new Bronze friend, Lee Jihoon,” he said loudly, slamming his hand down onto the notebook and making the desk shake.

 

If looks could kill Lee Seokmin would be ten feet under already. However in response to the glare his grin only widened. “Thought about my proposal anymore, cutie?”

 

Jihoon yanked his notebook out from under the other’s hands and Seokmin stumbled. “Yes,” Jihoon said, like he had just considered it. “And I have decided I would rather punch myself in the face, than date you. Now if you would please go away,” Jihoon glared again just to make his point, “I would really appreciate it.”

 

However it didn’t seem Seokmin could be swayed. He only smiled brighter, leaning close to Jihoon which made him grimace because seriously, this guy had no sense of personal space. “Playing hard to get… I like that.”

 

Jihoon mimicked gagging. Before he could hit him himself a heavy book cuffed Seokmin over the head and the boy cowered under the blow.

 

“Lee Seokmin, I am trying to take attendance. If you do not sit down this minute something heavier than this textbook will be hitting you over the head.” The culprit was a black haired girl with bangs that had the class president band around her arm. Her Silver name tag was engraved with the name Choi Yuju. In one hand she had the class attendance sheet and the other the heavy textbooks she had just whacked Seokmin with. Jihoon partially wished it had been him that had had the honor.

 

“Aw come on Yuju,” Seokmin said, pouting as he attempted to look cute. “It’s not even time for class yet!”

 

Yuju lifted the textbook again and Seokmin shrank into the seat beside Jihoon. Jihoon just sighed, now they had to sit next to each other but at least Seokmin had stopped talking.

 

“So how long is this hard to get thing going to last, because I like to plan my dates in advance-”

 

Or not.

 

“Seokmin!” The boy turned around when a group of girls nearby called his name. “Kwon Soonyoung is taking this class, right? Are the rumors true? Is he getting married?”

 

“Oh no he can’t! Soonyoung and I were meant to be!”

 

Seokmin shrugged apologetically. “I don’t know ladies, Soonyoung’s been pretty private about his life lately. Though I wouldn’t believe all the rumors you hear,” he said, glancing in Jihoon’s direction but the boy didn’t even look remotely interested. “But you know, this hot stud right here is open on the market-”

 

A book flew through the room and Seokmin cowered, narrowly avoiding getting brained by the textbook Yuju had just thrown. “Lee Seokmin I swear to god if you do not shut up-“

 

 

Jihoon managed to make it through his A&P class with most of his brain cells still intact (only because if he hit his head against his desk in class it would probably get him kicked out). While Seokmin was busy being scolded by class president Yuju he managed to escape to his next class. The hike to the math building wasn’t too far but he somehow got caught behind a crowd because someone thought riding a golf cart through the hallways was a good idea.

 

“Just two more years Lee Jihoon,” he whispered to himself as he crossed the wreckage of a golf cart half hanging out of a line of lockers. “Don’t attract attention, don’t get involved.”

 

Finally escaping the mob, Jihoon found his advanced statistics class. He was hesitant to find Kim Mingyu sitting in one of the chairs in the back. The boy even looked like a model in their stupid uniforms. Plucking up his courage, Jihoon strode over to him and paused awkwardly in front of his desk.

 

Mingyu looked up, surprised at his presence. “Mind if I sit here?” Jihoon asked uncertainly. The other boy nodded slowly and Jihoon placed his things down, taking the desk next to him. There was a tense pause before Jihoon turned towards the other boy who seemed to find his pencil very interesting.

 

“I’m sorry about snapping at you yesterday,” Jihoon finally breathed out. “I didn’t mean to take out my anger at you and it was uncalled for.”

 

Mingyu pouted, poking at the table with his pencil. “It’s fine. I’m sorry for speaking to Hansol like that.”

 

Jihoon deflated, feeling much lighter. He let out a light chuckle and glanced at Mingyu who was smiling shyly. Maybe the two of them could end up friends.

 

Class started and passed pretty quickly. At one point Mingyu offered to share his calculator since Jihoon had forgotten his, and they partnered up when the teacher instructed them to do group work.

 

“Come on, you’re a Scholarship kid. The only reason you’re here is cause of your brain, shouldn’t you know how to do this?”

 

Jihoon glanced up, distracted from his work. The guy at the table in front of them was splayed out in his chair, waving his pencil at the Bronze beside him as he ordered him to do his work. Jihoon glanced over at Mingyu and could see the other frowning in his direction, like he was giving him a warning.

 

Jihoon only grit his teeth and turned back to his problem set, blocking their conversation out of his head. Maybe Mingyu was right, he shouldn’t get involved.

 

In an effort to ignore his nagging conscious and the two in front of him, Jihoon finished the math questions probably faster than he should have. He stood up and handed it into the teacher and the instructor checked through the answers, nodding in pleasant surprise. “All correct, good job Lee Jihoon. You and your partner are free to go.”

 

Since there were still fifteen minutes of class left, Jihoon and Mingyu were allowed to leave early. Mingyu seemed pleased and he waved when he said goodbye and headed off to his own class. Jihoon turned in the other direction, walking down the hallways that were becoming increasingly busy toward his next classroom, which was in the Language Department.

 

He was just about to slip his headphones on when there was a crash up ahead. Jihoon nearly jumped out of his shoes when a group of boys appeared around the corner, pushing past the crowd. One of the boys had his arm tight around the other student, a malicious grin on his face.

 

“Now, I expect this homework done by the end of the week, got it slave?” The one boy was saying, smirking as he shoved a large folder into the young boy’s arms. “Finish that and we won’t have any problems, got it?”

 

The boy bowed hastily before hurrying away. The remaining boys were laughing and one clapped the other boy on the shoulder. “Freaking Bronze’s. Only thing they’re good for.”

 

Hands shaking, Jihoon walked past them, head down. The crowd didn’t even seem to notice him, the students shoving past him like they didn’t even know he existed.

 

“Bloody Bronze kids,” Jihoon heard someone say when their shoulder collided with Jihoon’s, nearly causing him to trip.

 

A group of girls were walking in a strict formation down the hallway in front of him, a Bronze girl trailing behind carrying the rest of the girl’s bags. “Bronze, write down that I have a spa appointment in two days. And make sure you pick up my uniform from the dry cleaners before then.” One of the girls was saying as the other hurriedly tried to balance their bags and write down the notes simultaneously.

 

“I’m not sure how I’m going to survive school this year,” another passing girl was saying. “There aren’t that many new Silver’s this year. How am I going to find a boyfriend?”

 

“You could find a cute Bronze,” another girl said but the two burst out laughing, like the idea was ludicrous.

 

“Like I would ever stoop that low.”

 

Jihoon slipped into the classroom, a bitter taste in his mouth. Maybe Lee Seokmin hadn’t been over exaggerating, these students really were as bad as he said. He had only been in school for a few hours but he could already see a pattern. Bronze kids were treated like dirt, the lowest of the low. And what bothered him most was that no one did anything about it. It made Jihoon feel ill and his head swam. Maybe he could use being sick as an excuse to get out of class. Or get out of this school.

 

“Hey Jihoon.” Jihoon glanced up to see Wonwoo sitting in the back of the classroom, feet propped up on another chair. The boy frowned when he saw how pale Jihoon’s face was and he sat up straight. “Are you alright?”

 

Jihoon took a shaky breath of air before making his way towards the back row, taking the seat next to Wonwoo and putting his head in his hands. “I’m fine, just feeling nauseous.”

 

Wonwoo looked concerned but Jihoon glanced over at him and flashed him a dry smile. “This school is… Something, isn’t it?”

 

As if understanding, Wonwoo smiled sympathetically and rubbed his back. “Definitely something. Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it.”

 

The statement didn’t make Jihoon feel any better. The problem was he wasn’t sure he wanted to get used to it. If he did, he worried he would become someone like them and he hoped that he would never stoop that low.

 

The rest of his classes didn’t go as painfully as they could have. He thankfully didn’t have any more classes with Seokmin, and Hansol was even in his Music Theory class which was a nice surprise. Jihoon always appreciated another music enthusiast and the kid was adorable. He asked the other boy if he was being bullied again but Hansol claimed everyone was leaving him alone. Jihoon wasn’t sure if he was being truthful or if he just didn’t want to worry Jihoon, but he let it slide for now.

 

“Finally I’ve escaped!” Jihoon said happily after he had finished his last class of the day, World History. He felt like he had been in class for years. The classes he was taking seemed difficult, but nothing he had never experienced before. Jihoon was used to long nights in the library bent over a textbook. Sadly though he didn’t think it was the studying that he would have a problem with.

 

Feeling his stomach rumble, Jihoon headed toward the cafeteria where he had promised earlier to meet Wonwoo for lunch. At least he had good food to look forward to.

 

Jihoon was finally able to appreciate the cafeteria today so he took his time in picking out his food, marveling at the expensive dishes they were offering. Korean beef? How could they even afford that? There were even full chickens with their heads still on and a fully cooked pig with an apple in its mouth. The sight made Jihoon a bit sick and he reconsidered being a vegetarian.

 

After picking out the rest of his lunch, Jihoon headed toward the seating area, looking for a spot to eat. It seemed to be prime time to eat as the whole cafeteria was full, students chattering to each other and exchanging stories. Unfortunately it seemed the bodyguards needed to eat too as a lot of the tables were taken up by men in suits.

 

Spotting a few seats that were empty, Jihoon walked to the far end where there were about three tables that no one had claimed yet. Jihoon took the one in the middle near the window and placed his tray down. He was so absorbed with his meal (seriously, Korean beef!) that he didn’t notice the cafeteria gradually grow quieter as all eyes focused on him.

 

Jihoon was just sipping his oxtail soup when a shadow fell onto him. It took him a second to notice the change in atmosphere and he blinked in confusion before looking up.

 

Standing in front of him were three boys, one of which had a group of personal butlers who were fawning over him. Jihoon recognized him as the long haired boy who had ridden the pink helicopter to class. Up close he was prettier than Jihoon had expected. He had long blonde hair that even a girl would be jealous of, and had an angelic face to match that was practically glowing. The boy in the middle was quite handsome as well, with long lashes and messy black locks, and the first few buttons of his shirt were undone. He smirked and cocked an eyebrow when Jihoon’s gaze fell on him. Jihoon realized belatedly the third boy was Joshua, who looked smart in his perfectly tailored outfit, but whose eyebrows were furrowed and was clutching his pile of books tightly.

 

The gold nametags on their lapels were startlingly bright and realization dawned on Jihoon.

 

The Golden Boys.

 

What a stupid name.

 

“Looks like someone hasn’t given this freshman their orientation yet,” the boy in the middle said, an amused smirk on his face. His Gold nametag read Choi Seungcheol. Jihoon racked his brain to remember what Seokmin had told him, wasn’t his parents the owners of some retail store? “What do you think, kitten? Need a personal tour?”

 

Jihoon stared at him and his brain went blank. What had he just called him?

 

“This is Lee Jihoon, a Bronze junior,” Joshua said, stepping forward. He was frowning at Jihoon like he didn’t want him to be there.

 

However his stare wasn’t as bad as Yoon Jeonghan’s, who glared at him like his presence bothered him.

 

“A Bronze! What a surprise. You know though, for a Bronze you’re pretty cute. I wouldn’t mind if you sat with us just this once,” Choi Seungcheol said, leaning forward to try to get a better look at Jihoon’s face. “Special treatment, just for you kitten.”

 

“No Bronze kids at our table, Seungcheol,” Jeonghan said, voice bored and dripping with contempt.

 

Seungcheol just pouted childishly in his direct, “You’re no fun Jeonghannie.” But then he sighed and turned toward Jihoon whose brain was still not functioning. “Sorry kitten, but the Prince has spoken. You’re going to have to find another spot.” But then he winked, “But maybe another time we could have a chat, just the two of us.”

 

“Seungcheol please,” Joshua sighed, rubbing his temple.

 

Jeonghan swept past the two, ignoring them before standing in front of the table. He snapped his fingers and one of the butlers came forward, placing his tray on the table for him. When Jihoon didn’t move, Jeonghan cocked an eyebrow at him and he crossed his arms over his chest, brushing his hair away from his face like the main character from an anime. “Are you moving or not?”

 

That seemed to turn the switch back on in Jihoon’s head. Jihoon slowly put his chopsticks down and sat very patiently, like he was about to explain something to a child. “I believe I sat here first.”

 

Jeonghan blinked in surprise, like he hadn’t ever had someone talk about to him. Jihoon guessed he hadn’t. “Excuse me?”

 

“Usually when someone sits at a table it’s not polite to kick them out,” Jihoon said bluntly before he picked up part of his chopsticks and started eating again.

 

Seungcheol seemed thrilled by the turn of events. He was snickering behind him, grinning all too bright, while Joshua could only look troubled. Jeonghan merely stared, mouth agape and looking appalled. His face was flushed red and Joshua could tell the other was getting irritated. He sighed, what a headache. “Do you know who I am?” Jeonghan snarled, barely containing his anger.

 

“Listen, I don’t care who you are,” Jihoon said, slamming his chopsticks onto the table and standing. He knew what the others had told of him, but he was just so sick of it. The whole day had been wearing at his nerves and he could feel his patience fraying at the seams. These rich kids just did not know when to quit. So what if they had money? That didn’t make them entitled to whatever they want. They may be able to boss everyone else around but not him, he was done standing around and getting stepped on. “I sat here first. There are plenty other tables, go sit somewhere else.”

 

“How dare you,” Jeonghan hissed and the two glared at each other heatedly over the table. “I am one of the Golden Boys. My parents could buy you.”

 

Jihoon nearly burst out laughing. God, he couldn’t even believe he was having this conversation with someone, it was ridiculous. “Are you serious? If your parents are that rich, they should have spent some money to teach you manners. You should be thankful and humble for what you have, rather than throw your money around like some child. I don’t give a damn if you’re a Golden Boy, or whatever that is. You can’t get everything you want.”

 

Seungcheol was nearly in a fit at that point, slapping the table and laughing boisterously. Joshua looked horrified while Jeonghan’s whole face had turned red and he looked like he was having difficulty breathing. “Who do you think you are-”

 

“Whoa, Lee Jihoon.” Wonwoo stopped near the table, tray in hand. Mingyu looked appalled beside him, jaw open and looking like he wanted to contemplate death. Wonwoo his tray into his friend’s hands before hesitantly making his way over. He side eyed the other three before gently pulling on his roommates arm. “Jihoon come on, let’s go.”

 

Seungcheol leaned around his friends, an impish grin on his face. He seemed all too amused by the situation. “I would listen to Jeon if I were you, kitten. This is a fight you don’t want to finish. But you know, you are pretty cute. Feel free to come see me anytime.”

 

Joshua sighed, looking completely done. “Walk away Jihoon,” he said, almost pleadingly.

 

Jihoon grit his teeth. He didn’t want to back down, but the whole school was watching and he could already hear the study body gossiping. Some were even filming him. Stay under the radar, he had told himself and he nearly rolled his eyes at the thought. Well that plan had apparently failed.

 

“Fine.” Jihoon said, picking up his tray grudgingly.

 

The corner of Jeonghan’s mouth quirked up and he looked pleased. “Don’t try to go places you don’t belong, Bronze,” Jeonghan said, already sitting down at the table as the butlers circled around him.

 

Jihoon couldn’t control himself. The tray fell from his fingers and slammed onto the table, the contents of his lunch spilling and splattering onto the table. The cafeteria was silent. Jeonghan was dumbstruck while Seungcheol looked mildly impressed. “Enjoy your meal,” Jihoon said, voice incredibly calm before he stormed out of the cafeteria.

 

Jeonghan’s butlers had already begun cleaning the table. Luckily none of the food had gotten onto Jeonghan’s clothes otherwise no one would have been able to hold him back. The boy let out an incredulous chuckle but there was a deadly look in his eyes.

 

Seungcheol merely let out a hearty laugh, spreading out on one of the chairs with a malicious grin on his face. He glanced after the pink haired boy, a spark of interest on his face. “I think I’ve just found my new target.”

 

“Put him in his place,” Jeonghan hissed, not even glancing up from where he was burning a hole into the table.

 

Joshua stared at his two friends with a disapproving frown but stayed quiet. Jihoon had made a mistake getting on Jeonghan’s bad side and now he had to face the consequences. He didn’t entirely agree with his friends but there was nothing he could do, once they began there was nothing even he could do to stop them.

 

“Don’t worry your pretty little head over it Jeonghan. Your silly school will be just fine. Leave it to me. It’s just one little Bronze, what could happen?” Seungcheol smiled and turned the gold ring around on his finger. “This is going to be fun.”

 

 

(A/N: Hello everyone~

Thank you for your patience, this chapter took longer than I expected to write. I apologize for the wait! Life has been kicking my and school is difficult lately, so Iif you guys can wish me luck, I'd really appreciate it! ^^

Anyway, I hope you guys like this chapter! We have introduced the rest of the Golden Boys (Don't be too mean to Jeonghan, he's going to have his reasons) and I have even given you a hint about Soonyoung! He will be coming back to school soon so please be patient xD I am building the hype guys! When he comes back you will understand.

Anyone up for forming a Jihoon cheer squad? He's going to need one at this school.

Also, if you guys weren't sure, Hanbin is BI from Ikon and Yuju is from Gfriend. For side characters I will be using the rookies of 2015 (cause they're all so cute) so expect a few of them to play some big roles in thsi fic! If you're confused about who anyone is feel free to ask.

As always thank you so much for the subscribers, comments and upvotes! Your comments are always so funny and cute, I really appreciate them! Have a good day guys and thanks for reading!)