02. Friends

Golden Boys

Chapter Two:

 

The next morning Jihoon surprised everyone by waking up at 6. In the morning. A feat that usually involved a lot of kicking and screaming but today was done with only a few groans and muffled curses before he dragged himself out of bed. Ruffling his messy bed head, Jihoon slouched into the kitchen to get a glass of water. His mother was sitting at the dining table reading a newspaper but when she saw him she stared, a flabbergasted expression her face.

 

“Good morning,” Jihoon grumbled. His body may be awake but nice Jihoon didn’t appear until the second cup of coffee.

 

His mother just continued to stare at him like she wasn’t sure he was her son. Jihoon didn’t blame her. “Good morning?” She said, more a question than a statement. She double checked the clock just to make sure she wasn’t dreaming before slowly putting down her newspaper like she was expecting the worst. “You’re awake… Before ten... Willingly.”

 

Jihoon downed his first cup of coffee, nodding as he felt the caffeine give him life.

 

“… Would you like breakfast?” She was still staring at him like she was waiting for the catch.

 

Jihoon shrugged before refilling his cup, already heading back toward his room. “No thanks mom, I’m actually heading down to the beach. I’m gonna get breakfast there and I’ll meet you at the market by 9.”

 

A wave of realization crossed her face and a mischievous glint formed in her eye. “Are you meeting that boy again?”

 

Jihoon fought to keep the look of nonchalance on his face. “Can’t a boy just go to the beach early in the morning without having a reason?”

 

“Not you, my dear.” Jihoon groaned and just closed his door. He spent the next thirty minutes trying to find something to wear, and after finally deciding hat or no hat, he quickly crept towards the front door, trying to be inconspicuous and leave without his mother’s interrogation.

 

He could hear her cooking in the kitchen, packing things up for the market. “Say hello to your cute boyfriend for me!” His mother hollered just as he unlocked the door.

 

“Mom! He’s not my boyfriend!” Jihoon yelled in embarrassment before all but sprinting out of the house with her laughter echoing behind him.

 

 

When Jihoon reached the beach he wasn’t surprised to see Hoshi had already arrived and was waiting. The boy was dressed in athletic gear similar to the day before, this time a horrid pink, and was throwing a Frisbee around with Younghee on the sand. It seemed early really was his habit, he was more awake than Jihoon usually was at noon. The blonde spotted Jihoon immediately, flailing his hands around in excitement.

 

“Good morning fairy!” Hoshi called out, tossing the Frisbee lightly in his direction.

 

Jihoon jumped, startled, but managed to catch the toy, glad it hadn’t ended up embarrassingly whacking him in the face. “Good morning star,” Jihoon said sarcastically, throwing the disc back.

 

Hoshi pretended to be struck in the heart, making dramatic dying noises as Younghee jumped to intercept the Frisbee. “Your cuteness kills me so, Jihoonie.” He strode forward, ignoring Jihoon who had turned into a blushing statue. He slung his arm over the shorter boy’s shoulder and grinned down at him. “Are you ready for breakfast? I was walking around early and I found this super cute pancake place…”

 

Jihoon let himself be dragged down the boardwalk by the other, smiling shyly. He wasn’t a very touchy person so the arm slung around his shoulders was a constant distraction, but he found himself relaxing into the hold. He had never grown so comfortable with anyone nearly this fast, but Hoshi was proving to be different.

 

The pancake house was one Jihoon knew well. It was a small, older building nestled in between newer chains on the boardwalk. Everything was brick and it was lit by lanterns and string lights, with chalkboards and black and white photos covering the walls. Jihoon had walked by often but had only gone once with his mom since he wasn’t really awake most of the time the restaurant was open.

 

“Hello auntie!” The moment they walked through the door Hoshi was waving excitedly toward the older lady behind the counter. She smiled fondly at him and beckoned him over to a table near the back.

 

“Do you know her?” Jihoon asked curiously as they were seated and had ordered. Hoshi said he was on vacation and had only been in Busan a few days, but the lady treated him like a long lost son.

 

Hoshi just grinned, resting his head on his hands as he stared at the pink haired boy from across the table. “I just met her this morning, we struck up a nice conversation about the weather while she was opening her shop.”

 

“He should he wound be bringing a very cute friend by and I am happy to see that he did not disappoint.” At that moment the auntie placed two steaming heaps of pancakes in front of the two boys, adding two cups with coffee beside their plates. Jihoon pretended to be very interested in the smell of the pancakes to hide the flush forming on his cheeks. Gosh why did he always turn into a blushing mess when he was around the other boy.

 

“Thank you very much!” Hoshi bowed and the older women pat him fondly on the head before going back to greet customers. The blonde boy immediately dug in, nearly stuffing his face with the fluffy blueberry pancakes. “This is so good!” He practically moaned into his plate.

 

Jihoon ate his pancakes much slower, staring in amazement as the other boy practically inhaled his food. He was so skinny, where did he even put it? “Jesus, slow down. You’re going to choke.”

 

Hoshi (difficultly) swallowed the large bite he had been eating and grinned at Jihoon over his plate. “I promise, I won’t! We can’t have that! What would my fairy do without me?”

 

Jihoon scoffed and kicked Hoshi lightly in the shin. The other boy just responded by playfully kicking him back. Before Jihoon could retaliate, Hoshi leaned across the table and stole a piece of Jihoon’s strawberry pancakes, popping the piece into his mouth before he could argue.

 

“Hey, my pancake,” Jihoon whined, reaching up to protectively cover his food.

 

“I’ll make it up to you,” Hoshi said with a mischievous glint in his eyes. He took a piece of his own pancake and held it up to Jihoon, waving it in front of wide eyes. “Open up!”

 

Now Jihoon was sure he was as red as a tomato. Cue blushing statue Jihoon. “Hoshi, we’re in public!” He hissed, trying to push the other boy’s hand away. However Hoshi was relentless, making cooing noises and being obnoxiously loud, so Jihoon finally grabbed his hand and ate the piece of pancake, face burning, to make him stop.

 

“Fairy eats so well,” Hoshi said, smirking victoriously.

 

Jihoon just scowled in his direction. He took another bite of his pancake to try to hide his embarrassment. “Aren’t you…”

 

“What?” Hoshi asked curiously, resting his head on his hand and blinking innocently in the other boy’s direction.

 

“You know!” Jihoon waved his fork around. “Embarrassed?” He hissed, glancing around like the other patrons had heard him.

 

At that Hoshi laughed, grinning over in his direction. Even though Jihoon was self-conscious, Hoshi’s laugh could always bring a shy smile to his face.

 

“I would never be embarrassed to be with you, Jihoon.”

 

 

Unlike their first meeting, Jihoon kept a close eye on the clock this time because he knew if he didn’t he would lose track of time. It was nearly 9am and he knew he would have to get back to work soon. The pink haired boy reached across the table and poked Hoshi in the arm, drawing his attention. “I’m sorry, but I think I have to go.”

 

Hoshi pouted, looking disappointed. It did strange things to Jihoon’s heart. “Why do you always have to leave so early?”

 

“My mother has a stall in the market every weekend and I have to help her out,” Jihoon sighed but stood up, taking out his wallet and grabbing his coat. However Hoshi intervened, jumping up and to the front desk before Jihoon could even leave the table. He came back with a triumphant look on his face and the bill paid.

 

“My treat,” Hoshi said with a grin before grabbing his coat as well. The two exited the cute café, Hoshi waving over his shoulder to the auntie who worked there. He glanced around once they were outside, rocking on the balls of his feet. “So, which way is the market?”

 

“You don’t have to walk me there,” Jihoon insisted, flustered.

 

“Nonsense!” Hoshi declared, swinging his arm around Jihoon’s shoulders once more. Jihoon was starting to find it comfortable. “There isn’t anyone else I’d rather be spending time with.”

 

 

The two were a few minutes late because Hoshi got distracted by another dog and Younghee went chasing after a seagull. Both of them were like overexcited children and at more than one point Jihoon wished Younghee wasn’t the only one on a leash.

 

By the time they had arrived, Jihoon had a firm grip on Hoshi’s jacket and was practically dragging him down the boardwalk. “Jihoon look, it’s the market!” Hoshi said, pointing enthusiastically to the stalls. The market was located on a pier right next to the water, a line of bright multi colored tents selling various fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as handmade items and baked goods. The older owners of stalls waved at Jihoon as he passed, since they were well acquainted with him and his mother, and smiled at Hoshi who was jumping from tent to tent, unable to contain his enthusiasm.

 

“Do they not have markets in Seoul, city boy?” Jihoon teased, keeping a tight leash on Younghee who looked ready to jump around and follow her owner.

 

“I’m sure they do,” Hoshi said, coming back to Jihoon’s side although he kept staring around with eyes sparkling. “I’ve just never been to one.”

 

“Why not?” Jihoon asked, handing the leash back to Hoshi. Jihoon wasn’t that weak, but Younghee was nearly as big as him and the dog was going to break one of his arms soon enough if she kept yanking on the leash.

 

Hoshi just shrugged, reeling Younghee back in and telling her to behave. “Like I said before, my family travels a lot. And I have school, which is pretty demanding. Did I tell you I was in a dance team?”

 

“No way, really?” Jihoon asked, surprised. He had never danced, but he liked watching YouTube videos and the kids in the dance team at school.

 

Hoshi nodded, a bright grin on his face. His eyes were practically sparkling. Jihoon could tell dancing meant a lot to him. “Yeah, and you know, we’re pretty good,” he winked. “Maybe I can show you some moves some time,” he teased, leaning closer to the shorter boy’s face.

 

“Is this your new friend Jihoon?”

 

Jihoon jumped away from Hoshi, startled. His mother was standing in front of her stall, hands on her hips and a look of pure amusement on her face. If Jihoon wasn’t already blushing, he was now. He wasn’t sure he was going to be able to live this down.

 

“Hello, Mrs. Lee!” Hoshi said brightly, seeming unaffected by the compromising situation they had just been caught in. “My name is Hoshi!” He walked forward and took her hand. “Jihoon didn’t tell me his mother was so beautiful!”

 

His mother was blushing and there was a satisfied grin on her face. “Well, my son definitely told me about you-”

 

“Mom!” Jihoon grabbed her arm, yanking her away before she could start spilling all of the embarrassing things he had said. “It’s getting late, we better open up.” He quickly roped her into setting up the rest of the stall, sure he could hear Hoshi laughing in the background.

 

“Let me help!” Hoshi offered immediately. He attached Younghee’s leash to a nearby pole, having her sit while they worked, before he joined Jihoon in raising the tent. The two worked well together, transporting and pulling out the fresh vegetables his mother had picked and setting up the cooking station where they would sell fresh food.

 

“You don’t have to help you know,” Jihoon said, placing the vegetables into display since Hoshi insisted on carrying the heavier boxes. “I’m sure you have better places to be.”

 

“I told you fairy,” Hoshi said, setting down the next box and poking Jihoon in the cheek, “There’s no one I would rather spend my time with.” Jihoon swatted his hand away, looking down with his face flushing. Hoshi then grinned, skipping away. “Even if the fairy is making me do manual labor.”

 

“Yah!” Jihoon said, reaching out to punch the other boy but he had already danced out of his reach. “No one’s making you!”

 

The set up was done by 9:30 so Jihoon started working on the food they would be selling. He was in charge of making the smaller street foods; rice cakes, Korean pancakes, fish cakes. He wasn’t the best at cooking, instead spending his time studying at school or doing music, but as the son of a chef he had learned his way around the kitchen. Making simple dishes like these came easy to him, especially with all his practice. While he worked his mother set up the seafood soup and a few other complicated dishes they would be selling.

 

“Wow, fairy can even cook? Is there anything you can’t do Jihoonie?”

 

Jihoon shoved Hoshi away from where he had been standing (very closely) over his shoulder. He ignored the other, turning on the burner and starting to create the sauce for the rice cakes.

 

“Can I help?” Hoshi asked, flitting around the small space. He always seemed to be moving, Jihoon wondered if it was exhausting.

 

“Have you ever cooked before?” Jihoon asked, staring at him suspiciously.

 

“Nope!” Hoshi said with a grin and Jihoon sighed, exasperated.

 

“Why don’t you cut those spring onions,” Jihoon suggested, pointing at the vegetables. Start out with something harmless. Hoshi excitedly brought over the vegetables and washed them, before standing next to Jihoon with an expectant look on his face. “Don’t injure yourself,” Jihoon warned, handing him a knife before he went to finish the other dishes.

 

Once the rice cakes were cooked, Jihoon tried one, making sure the taste was right. However once he was done he instantly regretted leaving Hoshi alone once he saw his cooking skills. The boy had cut the poor vegetables into oddly shaped pieces, varying from an inch large to completely diced. Hoshi was staring at him with a pitiful and apologetic look on his face while holding the knife between his hands.

 

“Uh…”

 

Jihoon just sighed and gently took the knife out of his hands. Jihoon wasn’t known for his patience but for Hoshi it seemed endless. “No more cutting for you,” he said as gently as he could, because really the boy was too cute to chastise. Noticing how disappointed the other looked, Jihoon picked up one of the rice cakes and held it out. “Open up,” he grumbled, glancing around to make sure no one was watching.

 

Hoshi’s eyes lit up and he eagerly hopped in place, opening his mouth. “Ah~”

 

Jihoon fed him the piece and Hoshi immediately jumped closer to him, grabbing him by the shoulder and jumping up and down, his excitement bringing a smile to his face. “Those are the best rice cakes I’ve ever had! You’re such a good cook!” Jihoon grumbled something unintelligible before ducking to finish the other dishes. He had never cooked for anyone before, so to have Hoshi like it meant something to him.

 

Jihoon ended up feeding Hoshi half the batch, since the boy kept whining to him and claiming he had to have more of ‘Jihoon’s special food’ (and well, Jihoon couldn’t seem to say no). He allowed Hoshi to attempt cooking again, but when the boy nearly burned the soup and himself, Jihoon finally decided the job was not for him.

 

“Jihoon, can you help me up front?” His mother asked. More people were arriving at the market and it was getting busier.

 

Jihoon nodded, about to put the soup on simmer so it could cook, but Hoshi jumped forward. “I’ll help, Mrs. Lee!” He said with a grin. He pat Jihoon on the head before heading to the front of the tent.

 

Cooking didn’t seem to be his forte, but talking to people apparently was. Hoshi was instantly popular with the crowd. He worked efficiently, bagging the food and ringing up the orders, and seemed to draw in customers with his bright personality. The boy was positively glowing as he spoke with older grandmothers, young couples, and high school students alike. The tent was becoming increasingly busy as more people flocked to Hoshi.

 

There were even a few high school girls who kept whispering to each other nearby, glancing at Hoshi and giggling while they were choosing vegetables. Catching their eye, Hoshi immediately went over to try to help them choose which produce they wanted to buy.

 

“Jihoon, the pancake is burning.”

 

Jihoon yelped in surprise, shooting up. He immediately turned down the burner, pulling out a spatula and flipping the pancake. Luckily he had saved it just in time, cutting off the small black edge on one side. He never burned anything. His mother stood in front of him, a look of amusement and knowing in her eyes. She looked positively satisfied.

 

“Stop staring at me like that,” Jihoon half whispered half hissed. He really wished his mom would at least wait until they were alone to start teasing him.

 

“Should I stare at you like how you stare at him?” His mother whispered right back, changing her expression to one of complete adornment. Jihoon groaned in response. His mother laughed, reaching over to ruffle his hair. “You were right though, he is cute!” She whispered, coming closer so they could both watch Hoshi as he charmed the crowd. “Perfect son in law material.”

 

“Mother!” Jihoon hissed and his mother just laughed, waving her hand.

 

“Just saying,” she said. “Never thought my son would end up liking a city boy though. How long is he staying?”

 

“Uh…” Jihoon glanced in Hoshi’s direction. “A few days I think?” He said. He wasn’t quite sure, they had never really talked about that.

 

His mother sighed dramatically. “That’s a shame. Well you are going off to school in a week. Maybe you’ll see him in Seoul.” Jihoon just shrugged, it was a slim chance. His mother seemed to catch his slowly depressing mood for she elbowed him gently. “Well, if he’s ever in town, he’s welcome anytime.”

 

They closed the shop at around 4. Jihoon’s mother had let the two boys take a break and buy lunch before exploring the market that afternoon. They got a few stares as Hoshi flit from stand to stand, trying on silly hats and eating one of everything, obnoxiously loud and bright, but Jihoon felt like it was only the two of them.

 

Hoshi helped take down the tent and bag the remaining vegetables and supplies left over before they loaded it into their small car. “Are you on vacation with your family, dear?” Jihoon’s mother asked as they finished filling the car.

 

“No ma’am! I’m here by myself,” Hoshi said, giving a salute.

 

“What a mature young boy,” his mother praised. “Do you have any plans for tonight then? Why don’t you come over for dinner? My treat since you were so helpful today.”

 

“I would love to Mrs. Lee!”

 

The trip to Jihoon’s home was uneventful. Hoshi commented that he liked their car, and that their neighborhood was very cute and how it must be nice that they lived so close to the ocean. “I’m sorry if the house is messy, if Jihoon had told me we were expecting company I would have cleaned up,” she said once they had arrived at their small house.

 

“Oh no, it’s perfect,” Hoshi said earnestly as he helped bring in the supplies from the car.

 

Jihoon hadn’t had anyone over to his house in a long time. He lived in a small single floor house with a living room and TV, bathroom and two bedrooms. The kitchen was probably the largest part, a counter wrapping around that served as both their dining table and workspace for his mother’s cooking. It wasn’t anything special, so he was amazed when Hoshi stared at the house like it was the best thing in the world.

 

However that surprise ended when his mother thought it was appropriate to start showing off Jihoon’s baby pictures, bringing a grinning Hoshi over to a complete wall which was full of framed pictures and numerous picture books.

 

“And this is Jihoon when he was a baby, look at him, he used to run around -”

 

“MOTHER!”

 

Hoshi was laughing as Jihoon had to nearly wrestle the books out of her hands, putting them back onto the shelf with a huff and a face burning of embarrassment. This was probably the reason he didn’t have friends. His mother went back to finish dinner, mumbling under her breath about ungrateful children and Jihoon’s cute . Hoshi slid up next to the shorter boy, glancing around. “Can I see your room?” He asked curiously.

 

Jihoon flushed but obliged, knowing the other wouldn’t leave him alone if he didn’t. Jihoon’s room was pretty simple as well, just a small rectangle with his bed on one end and desk on the other. His music set took up most of the room, an electric keyboard, microphone and guitar beside his computer. His old drum set didn’t fit in the room. He had a large bookcase full of notebooks and textbooks, most of which looked worn and used, and an array of used music sheets were scattered on his desk. He was glad he had made the bed this morning, though he decided not to show Hoshi his closet which just a pile of clothes he was too lazy to fold. No one needed to see that.

 

“Are these your friends?” Hoshi was standing near the door, looking through the polaroid pictures that Jihoon had hung up on his wall.

 

“No, those are my cousins,” Jihoon said, joining him. The wall was mostly pictures of him and his mother, or of places in Busan that he had visited.

 

“Will you introduce me to your friends?” Hoshi asked curiously, glancing down at the shorter boy.

 

Jihoon felt his blood go cold, but he attempted a look of nonchalance. “I would if I had any,” he said, quickly moving to the opposite side of the room, sitting down on his desk chair and fiddling with a few things. He winced, he hadn’t meant it to sound so pathetic. He should have lied, saying his friends were on vacation or something. God he must look so pitiful…

 

“Neither do I.” Jihoon glanced up. The blonde boy was staring wistfully at the pictures, reaching up to hold one of Jihoon and his mother on his 16th birthday. “I... I’ve never had that many friends either. When I was young I was always with my parents, or with the nannies they hired. Even at the high school I go to I’m pretty much always on my own. I guess it’s more of my choice though. Other people… All they want is to help themselves. I can’t trust them.”

 

Then Hoshi glanced over at him and deep in his eyes Jihoon could see a deep sadness, one that overwhelmed his whole being and kept him in a spiraling darkness. Jihoon had never seen such anguish. “Except for you.”

 

Jihoon stood quietly, hands shaking but mind determined. He had frozen before but not now. “I’ve always been by myself," he admitted. "The awkward little kid who never knew how to fit in. So instead of trying, I focused on school and spent my time with books instead of people. By the time I entered high school I realized I lost the chance to make friends. That I would always be alone for the rest of my life…” He took a step closer, closing the distance between them. “But now I realize, that it was never too late. Maybe I can change that.” He smiled up at Hoshi who stared unwaveringly down at him. The darkness didn’t disappear but maybe it lightened just a bit.

 

Hoshi leaned forward and for a moment Jihoon thought the other boy might kiss him, but instead he wrapped his arms around the smaller boy, drawing him close and burying his head into his shoulder. Jihoon relaxed into the hug, feeling his heart warm at the touch. Being in his arms just felt right.

 

“Thanks for being my friend Jihoon,” Hoshi whispered.

 

“Always.”

 

 

(A/N: Wow guys! Wow!! 89 of you have subscribed so far and I am so touched! I've almost reached my next hundred! You guys are the best, seriously TT^TT

Just wanted to say thank you so much for subscribing, I'm glad you guys seem to be enjoying this fic! Here is more awkward Jihoon and greaseball Hosh. I lied, there was still much fluff. Jihoon's going back to school soon, so things will start getting interesting then. Anyway, once again thank you for reading and please comment below telling me what you think! Just a warning, winter break just ended so I am back in school so updates might not be as fast. Thank you for being understanding! Love you all! <3)