School

Controlling the Stars

English will be in purple.


 

After getting sorted out at the office, I was lead to my first class, English with Mr Tuan. When we entered the classroom, I saw an unexpectedly calm class. Most students were sitting at their desks, studying diligently by reading the English textbook. However, I did spot one or two students dozing off. There were around 40 students altogether.

Bringggggg~ The school bell signalled the beginning of class. The sleepy students woke up immediately and all the students put away their study materials. After the class monitor lead the class in greeting the teacher, Mr Tuan introduced me to the class: "This is a new student all the way from Australia who came to study with us. Please treat her well and make her feel welcome. Christina, do you mind introducing yourself?

"Hello! My name is Ye-eun. I look forward to getting along with all of you!" I attempted to look as cheerful as I can. I don't want to be hated on my first day.

"Ok, you take a seat next to Amber over there. Amber, please put your hand up."

A hand was raised confidently. It belonged to a tom-boyish girl with blonde hair. She had untidy, short hair. Her shirt was untucked and tie, loose. Something about her made the nervous me like her immediately. As I neared my assigned seat, Amber flashed me a big friendly grin. All of a sudden, I felt at ease. She seems nice.

"Hey, Eunnie! You're from 'straya? That's great! You can speak English fluently right? By the way, is it true that you ride kangaroos to school???" Amber started to blabber away exitedly.

I was shocked that this girl in front of me was so fluent at English. However, I could not let go of the fact that Amber had called me by a nickname. If there was one thing I hate, it's nicknames. I didn't even let my friends back at home do it. Secondly, it got on my nerves that she mentioned the stereotypical Australian. 'Of course we ride kangaroos to school.' Is that what she expected me to answer? YOU CAN'T EVEN FIND KANGAROOS WHERE I LIVED. Except for the zoo but that was an exception. I was about to give her a mouthful but the teacher intervened before the conversation could progress any further.

"Ok girls, your chat can wait till later. We have to start class now." Mr Tuan said.

English was too easy. We were studying the novel 'Hatchet'. I studied this when I was 13. Though I can't complain since English is not their first language. I dreaded Korean class because even thought I am fluent in speaking, I'm not that great.

Suddenly, a blonde figure burst into the room, breaking my train of thought. He was quite good looking with pale skin and beautiful eyes. He looked strangely familiar... Ah! I remember now. He was the boy who was running against the sea of people heading to school. Perhaps I'll ask him where he went later.

"AM I LATE?" The boy checked the clock on the wall. He was 45 minutes late. There was only 10 minutes of first period left. "Well... I guess I'll just skip until next period then..." The boy turned around to leave but Mr Tuan was quicker. He grabbed the boy's arm.

"Stand in the back and raise your arms. I'm going to write a letter to your parents and you have detention with me at lunchtime."

He trugged reluctantly to the back of the class. He glanced at me with a puzzled look as he walked past.


4 periods passed quite quickly. I had Korean class in period 2, chemistry in period 3 and drama in period 4. I was so happy that this school offers drama. It was one of the things that I was very passionate about. Korean class was surprisingly okay. I managed to keep up with the class and understood most things.

It's 12:30pm and it's finally lunchtime. Amber was in my drama class too and I found out that she was born in LA. That boy who got in trouble was also in my drama class. As I got ready to leave the classroom, Ms Im, our drama teacher, called the boy and I over.

"Do you mind showing Ye-eun around the school?" Ms Im asked the politely.

"Why me?" he whined.

"I heard you have detention at lunchtime. If you show her around, I'll let you off the hook? Besides, I bet all the other students will say they're busy studying."

"Are you implying that I don't study? ... You're right, I don't. Deal. Please make sure he doesn't write to my parents too. If they get another letter, I'm dead." he pleaded.

"Sure. But you'll be my demonstrater for the next drama class, ok?"

"OK! Let's go Ye-eun!"

He grabbed my arm started running. I was desperately trying to keep up with him. I sent Amber an SOS face but she just laughed.


I was huffing when we finally stopped. I looked up and saw where we were. The school cafeteria! Yes! I was starving!

"It looked like you were hungry since the first saw you." he suddenly said.

"Hahahaha! How does someone who is hungry look like?" I said, finding his 'ability' to spot a hungry person amusing.

"Hmmm... I have no idea actually. Did you miss breakfast?

"No, I'm always hungry."

"Well, here's the cafeteria. Knock yourself out."

We lined up in the lunch line. Today's lunch had rice and kimchi, galbitang (rib soup) and bean sprouts. I don't eat meals with kimchi very often. My mum usualy cooks Chinese and Western dishes at home. Though we do have kimchi or kimchi jjigae sometimes because my dad loves kimchi. Anyway, the boy and I found a place to eat at the corner of the dining area.

There was just silence until I remembered, "I never got to ask what your name was! What is your name?"

"The name's Minhyuk. Lee Minhyuk." he replied, never taking his eyes of his lunch.

"Well then, Lee-sshi, nice to meet you. I'm Seon Ye-eun."

He burst out laughing and started clutching his stomach. The students around us started to stare.

"People are staring! What's so funny?" I asked, hurriedly.

"I never expected you to call me Lee-sshi! Pftttt... HAHAHAHAHAH!" he goes for another laughing fit, then manages to compose himself. "Just call me Minhyuk!"

"Ok then... Minhyuk"

"That's better. Now finish your lunch quickly or I won't have time to show you the grand tour."

I barely get down the last of my lunch and I was already out of the cafeteria, Minhyuk's strong grip and personality taking me away to who knows where.



A/N: So you probably want to kill me fo not updating in 3 MONTHS!!! I don't want to but I must blame it on... you guessed it, SCHOOL. >< I just started my senior year and it is a giant leap from junior school. I literally had a test every week. In addition, I'm taking a year 11 subject, so that's hectic. Term 1 was just so cramped because it was so short. It's the second week of Term 2 now but I got a new laptop so I'm motivated to write and I somehow managed to find time to write too.

I will be changing the story to a first person view because I feel like it will be more intimate. It's also because I keep accidentally changing to first person writing. Anyway, I WILL write again soon. Please have hope for me. If I dont update within a month. Legit just unsubscribe. I will deserve it. Please, have  mercy on me.

See you guys again soon. As always, I would love any comments you have for me! <3