Final

Controlling the Stars

 "You tell her." Minhyuk said.

"No! You do it!" I argued.

Minhyuk and I playfully bumped each other as we argued about who would tell Amber that we were dating. We sat in our usual spot in English class, waiting for Amber to arrive.

"More importantly," I said to Minhyuk, "you'd be dead if my brother found out."

"I don't believe it. Amber told me that he's a caring and gentle older bother." he was confused.

"Exactly. He once told me that he won't allow me to date until I'm 25 years old. He cares a little too much."

"25!? That's crazy!"

"I know. He can be scary when he's angry, you know."

Minhyuk gulped. "Is there anything I can do to make him like me?"

"Hmmm..." I thought, hard.

Just then, Amber skipped in.

"What's up, guys?" she asked, with a big smile on her face.

Minhyuk and I looked at each other. Signalling for each other to be the one to break the news to her.

"Why did you guys stop talking? Were you talking about me?" Amber asked, her smile slowly disappearing.

"No, no! It's not that..." I said hurriedly.

I felt Minhyuk's hand creep its way to mine and he squeezed it.

"Ye-eun and I are dating." Minhyuk said.

Amber stared at us for a few seconds before taking in what he just said.

"I'm sorry. I could have sworn you just said that you and Ye-eun were dating."

"It's true." I confessed.

Amber looked away, making small squeaking noises.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

Then, Amber turned around with a cheeky grin. "AM I OKAY? ARE YOU KIDDING. I SHIPPED YOU GUYS AND I KNEW YOU LIKED EACH OTHER. BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU GUYS WERE ACTUALLY GOING TO END UP DATING. I AM MORE THAN OKAY. I AM ECSTATIC." She took a deep breath and calmed herself. Pretending like that outburst never happened, Amber said, "Congrats."


"So what are you going to do about the annoying Minhyuk?" Amber asked before we walked to the front gate at the end of the day.

"Oh yeah. I forgot about him." Minhyuk scowled at the thought of him.

"Hmmm... It's not much of a problem is it? We went on a terrible date, he thinks Minhyuk is my boyfriend, which he is now, and that was the end of that." I said.

"But your parents are business partners right?" Amber asked. "Won't he tell his dad about you?"

"True..." I said.

At the same time, I recieved a text.

Dad: I heard about Minhyuk. Come to my office.

"Oh no!" I exclaimed. "My dad just texted me that he heard about Minhyuk. What do I do? What if I messed up his business deal?" I panicked.

Minhyuk took my hand and looked at me encouragingly. "Don't worry. i promise I'll come with you. I'll take the blame for it. Let's go now."

"No! It's not even your fault."

"Minhyuk!" we turned around to the voice of a man. He was a tall man around his late 40s. The crinkles around his eyes made him seem friendly and the suit he wore told me that he was just at work.

Minhyuk's face lit up. "Dad!" he shouted while running towards him. Amber and I followed suit.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have work today?" Minhyuk asked.

"Well, I actually got off work early today so I thought that I would pick you up. After everything that happened at home, we should take some father and son time together." Minhyuk's dad put his hand on Minhyuk's shoulder and smiled warmly.

"Really?" Minhyuk looked excited. "Yes!" He turned around to us. When he caught my eye, it looked like he just remembered something. He jerked me to his side and held up his head with pride. 'Dad, this is my girlfriend, Ye-eun."

His father looked slightly taken aback. "A girlfriend? I never heard about this. Have you been hiding it from me?"

"Of course not!" Minhyuk shook his arms wildly in denial. "It happened a few days ago."

"Oh! Congratulations, son. Let's go now, the reservation for the restaurant is waiting."

"Okay." Then, he looked at us. "Bye~ See you guys tomorrow."

I watched as he skipped away with his father smiling at the hyperness of his son. Minhyuk stopped abruptly, as if he bumped into something. He turned to his dad with a serious look on his face. After he was finished, the dad smiled warmly and pat him on the head. Minhyuk's face spread into a smile and he came running back to us.

"Let's go, Ye-eun." he linked his arms in mine and started dragging me in the opposite direction.

"What are you doing?" I asked. "Don't you have some father and son time to spend."

"I told you that I'd come see your dad with you. Remember? I don't want you to tell me not to come because I've decided to. We're taking your car back straight to the office."

I smiled. "Fine... Thanks." I whispered.

Wei, the driver, opened the car door for us when we arrived and we both got it.

"By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what did your father mean when he said 'after everything that happened'?" I asked out of curiosity.

"My parents got divroced. I told you that they fought often right?" Minhyuk said, like it wasn't a big deal.

"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry." I apologised.

"It's fine. I never liked her anyway. She was just using my father to get what she wanted. Plus, she was my step-mother. So, don't worry about it. As a matter of fact, I'm really happy that she left. Now, my father can be happy too." he smiled.

"That's good." I smiled as well. "One more thing..."

Minhyuk looked at me puzzled. "What is it?"

"Did you or did you not get a scholarship to attend this school?" I asked.

He spread a proud grin. "I did. I wouldn't have attended otherwise."

"Wow. That's amazing. I never knew that you were smart."

"What was that supposed to mean?" he asked, looking hurt.

"Nothing~" I said, looking away.

"Hey!"

We broke into laughter as the car sped away, towards the office, neither of us remembering that we left Amber behind.


Minhyuk and I held hands nervously as we stood in front of my father's office.

I reached out my hand towards the door handle but the door began to open before I could open it. There, standing in front of the doorway, was my brother, Sunyoul. He scowled as he looked at our linked hands, muttering for us to go in. I took one deep breath and we entered the office. My father sat on the chair at the furthest end of the table while Sunyoul stood beside him. My dad stared at his paperwork with a serious look on his face.

"Dad..." I started.

Suddenly, Minhyuk stepped forward. "Sir, I just wanted to say that I really, really like your daughter and you may not approve of us but I promise that I will make her happy. If there's  any way for you to approve of me, please tell me." he said.

My father looked at him, surprised while I looked away, embarrassed.

"I don't approve? More like Sunyoul doesn't." he broke into a wide grin. "I told you that I heard about your relationship, right?"

I was shocked. "Wait. You were talking about this Minhyuk? But how did you know?"

Sunyoul spoke up. "Amber has been updating me about your news..."

"WHAT?????" I yelled, half betrayed and half amazed that she could do it so secretly.

Minhyuk, confused, said, "Even if she was doing that, she only found out about our relationship this morning."

"I'm just that quick." The door was opened and Amber stood in the doorway, smiling sheepishly. "Sorry, guys..."

"But why would you do it anyway?" I asked.

Amber opened but Sunyoul cut in. "We also know about how the other Minhyuk was chasing you and you rejected him."

"You don't have to worry about that. It doesn't really matter and it doesn't affect our business deal either. We're both adults and we know how relationships can be. We're professional enough to be unfazed by it." my dad said.

I was so shocked by everything right now that I didn't even know what to say. Minhyuk squeezed my hand and brought me back to Earth. I turned to his concerned face and smiled at him.

"So I guess we don't have to worry about Minhyuk anymore right?" I asked and Minhyuk replied with a smile.

"I mean, don't think you're off the hook yet. You still have to get pass me." Sunyoul narrowed his eyes at Minhyuk.

"I'll try my best!" Minhyuk replied cheerfully.

Everyone began to laugh while Sunyoul looked puzzled as to why Minhyuk was not fazed by his big brother attack. He definitely seemed like a kindergartener as he pouted at everyone for laughing at him. Soon after, he began to laugh as well.

I looked around, the people I was closest to, together in the same place, together, laughing. And of course, I joined in too.


A/N: Welcome to the end! Merry (belated) Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)