Re-Date?

Controlling the Stars

I sighed. Here I am, sitting at Caffe Bene again. This time with a different Minhyuk. It's not a date. Is it?

"So... what exactly are we doing?" I asked cautiously.

"We're hanging out! We're basically best friends now, right? Am I wrong?" he pouted.

"Ah! No! Of course we're best friends..." I answered quickly. I guess it's not a date. I felt a sting in my heart. "You know, it's nearly dinner time. I have to go home."

"Oh..." his face fell.

I felt bad for leaving even though we just met up.

"Oh! What were you doing around here?" I asked, trying to start a conversation.

His bubbly face returned. "Oh! I was just around... I went home but my parents were fighting so I didn't go in."

"I'm sorry for asking." I didn't mean for him to share that with me but it seemed like he didn't mind talking about it..

"It's okay! I'm used to it anyway."

"How did you know that I was going to be at that office, anyway?"

"I asked Amber to hang out with me but she had tuition. She told me to ask you instead. I texted you but you didn't reply so I called your home. A really nice maid told me you weren't home yet and told me where your dad's office was."

A phone rings. It was Minhyuk's. He checked the caller ID and hesitated for a second before picking up the call and pressing the phone against his ear.

"Hello?... No.... I'm studying right now... I'll get home as soon as I can... Okay, bye..." He hangs up.

Who was he lying to?

He stood and said, "That was my mum. She said dinner is nearly ready. She sounded really pissed so I should get a move on. I'm sorry but I have to go."

"That's alright. See you tomorrow." I replied.

"Maybe not tomorrow. Do you need me to walk you back to the office?" he looked worried.

"No, it's fine. It's not that dark yet."

"Are you sure?"

"Yep. Just go. Your mum's waiting." I gave him a reassuring smile.

"Ok." he gave me one last worried smile before walking out the cafe door. I saw him start sprinting when he reached the corner of the street.

I wonder why he lied to his mum. Why were his parents fighting? Why did it seem like he didn't want to pick that call?

I decided to put aside my thoughts and return to the office. My dad should be finishing up by now.


It was finally the weekend again and I'm lying in my bed with nothing to do. Minhyuk didn't go to school for the rest of that week. Amber and I tried calling and texting him but he didn't answer us at all. I was really worried. Worst case scenarios kept running through my head. What if he got into a car accident and lost his memories like what happened in the Korean dramas I've watched? What if I said something wrong when we went to the cafe and he hates me now?

Bzzzz....

I checked my phone. It was a message from Kang Minhyuk:

Want to go on another date? :) I felt really bad for leaving so early last time we went out. Your dad said you were free today so I thought I'd take this chance to ask you out. I'll be waiting for your reply!

I didn't enjoy our first date... but it did end early. Who knows? It might turn out differently this time. He's nice, I guess. I'd feel bad if I declined and I would get a mouthful from my dad if he caught wind of my rejection.

I was about accept his offer when bzzzzzzzzzz.......

Another message came in:

The annoying one: Hey. I'm kind of struggling in English. Want to have a study session?

OMG. It's Lee Minhyuk! Ugh. He only talks when he needs help with schoolwork. Who studies on a Saturday??? Gosh. I need to pay him back for making me worry. But he needs my help.

I felt conflicted. And then, I decided what I was going to do and started by answering Kang Minhyuk.


Even as I wait for Minhyuk to arrive, I was still troubled about whether I made the right choice. Well, I definitely did not make the right choice in my outfit today. I was wearing a dress in the freezing cold weather. It's Autumn so the chill of Winter has started to arrive.

I stood, huddled, waiting. I hugged my backpack to keep myself warm. Maybe I could run back home and change? No way. Not if I want to be covered in sweat when I get back. Plus, what if he scolds me for wearing a 'short' dress? IT'S NOT THAT SHORT. Oh well. I'm me. I can wear whatever I want. Hmph... But...

Before I could continue my pointless argument with myself, a bright blonde colour caught my eye.

"Hey!!!" Lee Minhyuk ran up to me. He was 20 minutes late. "Hehehehehehe. Did you wait long?"

"I'm freezing cold. Let's get inside quickly." I said, glaring at him.

He didn't move.

"What are you waiting for?" I asked, annoyed. I just wanted to get out of the cold.

He looked me up and down. Oh no. Here comes the 'your dress is too short' lecture.

"You look really pretty today." He said and he walked straight into the building.

I felt heat eminating from my face and a warm feeling spread through me body. Snap out of it, Ye-eun!

And I ran after Minhyuk.


Sigh... I should've gone out on that date instead. But instead, I'm here babysitting a child.

Flashback...

I began to replied to Kang Minhyuk: I'm so sorry but I promised to study with a girl friend today. Maybe next time? I'll ask you out next time. ^^

Ok. There's no turning back now. The only reason I lied about the gender cause I get a feeling that he won't be happy about me hanging out with another guy. And I'm only accepting the annoying one's invitation because I'm curious about where he was all week. That's it. That's the only reason.

Lee Minhyuk, with his feet on the table, was playing games on his phone.

"Yah!" I shouted, earning a glare from the people around us who were trying to study.

"Gosh! Don't you know that we're meant to be quiet in the library. Or are libraries in Australia noisy?" he asked.

I glared at him. "Didn't you need help with your English stuff?"

"Oh yeah! I forgot about that. I left it at home."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU LEFT IT AT HOME???" I was furious at him.

"What? I needed an excuse to get out of my house." he whined. "Who studies on the weekend anyway?"

I looked around me. I guess there are people who study on Saturdays... But that's the point!

"YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT YOU DIDN'T REALLY NEED HELP WITH ENGLISH? I TURNED DOWN A PERFECTLY GOOD INVITATION JUST TO-"

"Young lady! Get out of the library. This is a place for study! Not a lover's quarrel." the librarian appeared out of nowhere. "And don't come back until you've cooled down. You are disrupting this beautiful learning environment for everyone."

"But-" I tried to argue.

"Get. Out." She gave me an icy cold stare that made even Minhyuk get up and flee immediately..

I followed after him in shame. I could feel the glares as I walked through the library, to the front entrance.

When we were finally out, I prepared for a full on lecture for Minhyuk.

"Lee. Min. Hyuk. When you invite someone out, you should do what you said you would do. And not mislead them. Do you know how many books I have in this bag? Do you? Do you? No. And I don't know either because there are too many to count. AND IT IS FREAKING HEAVY. I had to lug this all the from home."

"If it was heavy, you should have just told me. I would have carried it for you." he looked at me innocently.

I felt my face heat up. This is not the time for this. Why does he look so freaking adorable when I'm trying to scold him? Ugh. The wind ruffled his blond hair and his doe-like eyes made it difficult for me to continue my speech.

"Ye-eun?" a voice behind me said.

I whipped around at the sound of my name and I saw Kang Minhyuk, with a handful of books. It seemed like he was just about to enter the library.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, hoping to distract him from spotting Lee Minhyuk. Which I probably failed at because Lee Minhyuk was about 178cm tall and I was way shorter. Since Kang Minhyuk was about 184cm, he probably has a clear view of him.

"I was just about to go study since you turned down my invitation." I could see his eyes shift to Lee Minhyuk. "And is this your female friend?"

The shorter of the two gasped, offended. "Are you saying I look like a girl?"

Kang Minhyuk ignored him and grabbed my arm. "I see that your girl friend has already gone. Since you're free now, why don't you hang out with me instead? We could get something to eat. I'll buy you lunch. And I heard that a new aquarium opened up around here."

I tried to pull my hand away but his grip was too strong. "No thank you. I'm busy."

"Doing what?" I could see that he was getting angry. When I didn't answer, he said "Let's go." and started to pull me away.

I stumbled but I didn't fall. I felt a strong arm hold my waist, preventing me from falling. I look up and saw Lee Minhyuk, with a fierce look on his face. He had his other arm on the other man's wrist.

"I believe she said no." he growled.

But the taller man was not going to back down. "And who are you to intervene?"

Lee Minhyuk took back his arm from Kang's wrist and wrapped it around me in a tight embrace. "She's my girlfriend." he said.

"WHAT?" "WHAT?" Kang Minhyuk and I shouted in unison.

Kang Minhyuk gave me a look of confusion. Then I realised that if he knew it was a lie, he would not let me go.

"He's telling the truth!" I exclaimed.

Kang Minhyuk glared at Lee Minhyuk, who returned the look. They were both staring each other down. Despite Lee Minhyuk's disadvantage in height, it still looked like they were evenly matched in this staring competition.

Then, Kang Minhyuk yielded and looked at me. "I'll go for now, but I'm not giving up on you." And he left without looking back.

Suddenly, warmth left my body and I shivered. Then I realised that Minhyuk didn't let me go until now. He was really warm. I wish he didn't let go.

"So... What was that about?" I asked.

"Hmm? You looked like you were in trouble so I helped out a little. Shouldn't I have?" he asked.

"So you said I was your girlfriend just to help me?" I asked.

"Yep!" he said, with a sing-song voice.

My heart dropped. I wanted him to say no. I wanted him to say that he really wanted me to be his girlfriend...

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??? I mentally slapped myself.

"What are you thinking about?" I took a step backwards in urprise when Minhyuk put his face right up to mine.

"N-nothing." I said.

"Oooooo. Have you fallen for my strikingly good looks?" he teased.

"No!" I denied resolutely and began to walk away.

"Geez! You didn't have to deny it so strongly!" he whined. "Where are you going???"

I kept walking. I heard footsteps run after me.

"Let's go together. We'll be together, forever!"

I stop and turned to look at him. "Shut up!"

"Meanie." he said, and puffed out his cheeks.

I see this and started to walk away faster. Why do I think he's so adorable? I have to stop thinking about this. I stop in my tracks abruptly and Minhyuk bumped straight into me. Then I broke out into a full sprint. AHHH! I DON'T EVEN KNOW!

"Hey! Why are you running??? Wait!!! That was painful!!!" I heard Minhyuk shout after me.

Oh no. Have I fallen for him?


A/N: Yay!!! Things are finally happening! Unfortunately, I might not be able to update for the next two weeks because of mid-term exams >.<  I'm so sorry! But if I happen to find the free time, I will definitely update! Thank you for reading and subscribing! And wait for meeeeeeee :))))))) I'll be back as soon as I can!