Bonus: Surprise

Our Second Chance

Luhan came home from work welcomed with silence. He saw his mother coming out from their bedroom as she silently walked towards him. He was about to ask questions when the woman already hushed him.

"What happened?" he whispered when it was safe to talk.

"Hari was experiencing some pains." she explained. "She called me earlier for assistance. Your wife looks so exhausted, son." she commented. "But it can't be help since the baby is moving around her womb a lot."

"Is she sleeping now?" he asked concernedly.

His mother nodded, "She is." She turned to look at his son, patting his shoulder for comfort and strength. "I'll go now, okay? Take care of your wife."

"Of course I will, Ma." he assured his mother. "Be careful on your way home."

Kissing his son on the cheek, she left, letting Luhan do his husband duties.

Silently, he opened the door of their bedroom to find his wife peacefully sleeping as a protective hand was over her tummy.

He sat next to their bed, getting to see a clear look of her face as he gently placed strands of her hair away from her face. He looked at her with so much love before leaning in to place a loving yet light kiss on her forehead.

Although ever since he met Hari, he's been wanting a happy family with a little Luhan running all over their house, he didn't realise how tough pregnancy would be for his wife.

He was aware each time Hari woke up in the middle of the night as their baby inside would kick non-stop. Hari endured so much pain for her first pregnancy and Luhan wished that he could take it for her. Seeing his wife suffer in so much pain wasn't definitely a pleasant sight for Luhan to see.

He stood up and walked in gentle steps, heading to the kitchen to cook food for Hari to eat. It was a good thing she was asleep so when she wakes up, food was ready for her to eat.

It's been two years since they tied the knot of their lasting love with marriage and yet Luhan felt like it was just yesterday when he met Hari.

Within those two years, they were many instances where they fought – something that was natural for married couple but he made sure that Hari won't ever sleep with an upset heart. He reminded her each night how much he loves her and the lady couldn't feel any more luckier for having someone like Luhan in her life. She assumed that she might've done something really good in her past life to be rewarded with such a great man she can be with for a lifetime.

After minutes of preparing food, he walked back to their bedroom with a tray he was holding with his two hands. Placing the food on the side table, he saw how she was still peacefully asleep. He realised that everything his wife needed was rest after those restless nights she spent. He walked to her side and grabbed a blanket to place it over her when she slowly woke up.

"Luhan," she mumbled softly, attempting to sit up when he stopped her.

"Shh, it's okay. Sleep more." He leaned in to kiss the top of her head delicately.

Hari looked to the side and saw the food he prepared. "You cooked?" she asked, making him respond with a nod.

She deeply sighed, disappointed at herself. When she married Luhan regardless of the first or second time, she only wished for one thing: to serve her husband and be a good wife to him. She wanted to take care of him but lately, she failed to do so. Instead, it was him who was taking care of her.

Reading the expression Hari had on her face, Luhan instantly knew what she was thinking. More than husband and wife, they were best-friend as well as soulmates. He couldn't doubt that. The disappointed look Hari had on her face told him that she was insecure of being a good wife to him. But to Luhan, she was the best wife any husband could ever have.

Despite of how exhausted she was with her pregnancy, he never heard her complain once. She didn't let out any sighs that indicated how tired she was. Hari endured so much with her pregnancy but she was still able to care for Luhan and make him happy.

"Hari," he called out as he placed his hand over her cheek. "Stop worrying over whatever your thinking."

"Luhan, I'm so–"

"Shh," he stopped her in the middle of her sentence by placing his thumb over her lips. "Don't say sorry, Hari. Don't be insecure." he said. "You are good wife to me and I'm not lying."

"I should be the one taking care of you though." she mumbled, lowering her head but Luhan just lifted it with his fingers on her chin, making her look at him. "Let me take care of you now, okay?" he said. "You've always done that for me and now, it's my turn. Let me take care of you and our baby."

Hari smiled at the words of 'our baby'. She was on her birth month and she knew that any time she would be giving birth to their baby yet, everything still felt so surreal. Yesterday, she was just simple girl who married him with a contract but then, along the way, she fell in love with him. After a year, they filed for divorce letting four years pass by. Then one day, she met him again in front of a coffee shop, reunited and putting every memory they had back to life. Finally, after watching the beautiful sunset, she received the most romantic and magical proposal from Luhan. Now here they are, she's pregnant with his child, happily married.

"Sleep, if you still feel tired." she heard him talk.

Hari shook her head and gave him a smile, "Can I eat? I can't resist the food you cooked."

Luhan chuckled, "Alright."

She took a spoonful from the dish, making her husband remind her to be careful. Ignoring his reminder, she put the food inside and as it reached her taste buds, her eyes sparkled brightly.

"Your food is the best!" she blurted.

"Not as best as yours though. The food you cook is the best and most delicious." he returned the compliment sincerely.

The moment reminded him the time when he met her again after four long years. The time when she got drunk and in the morning, he cooked for her. Luhan felt like it was just yesterday and with Hari by his side, he felt as if time was passing by too quickly. It was probably because of how much he enjoyed and loved being with her that's why he barely noticed the time ticking.

Hari was the best thing that ever happened to Luhan. And with years that passed by, regardless of being together or otherwise, he knew that the love he had for her grew more and more each day – enough to go beyond the skies and through the universe.

After eating, Hari looked at her husband with a smile she failed to suppress. The excitement in her eyes could be seen as she imagined Luhan being a father to their child.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" he asked.

"I'm just excited with the sight of you taking care of our baby boy." she answered.

He smiled, "I'm excited when our baby boy grows up and we will be both loving you."

Hari blushed over Luhan's sweet talk.

"By the way," he started. "When your tummy starts to hurt with whatever pain, call me, okay?"

"About that, I decided not to call you because I knew you had a meeting. So I decided to call Ma since Mummy is overseas." she explained.

He reached out to hold her hands tightly. "No matter how busy I am, just give me one call and I will be there, okay?" he said. "You know that my priority is you and our baby, right?"

Hari nodded. "I know and I will, Mr Lu."

"Good girl, Mrs Lu."

A week after, Luhan received the most trembling yet exciting news. He was at work when he drove full speed after receiving a call from the hospital, letting him know that Hari was about to give birth.

She spent 12 hours labouring before her water broke and there she was, ready to give birth.

Their mothers came in to give the couple some moral support. Luhan's mother saw how nervous and worried her son was as they stood outside the delivery suite.

"It'll be fine, son. Don't worry." she comforted, placing a hand over his shoulder.

"That's right, Luhan. My daughter and my grandson will be safe." Hari's mother supported.

After that a nurse came out, making Luhan shrug his anxiety.

"The patient is asking for you." she informed.

The man looked back as the mothers gave their approving look. He entered the suite wearing a hospital gown and a mask, greeted by Hari with her midwives and her ob/gyn. He quickly walked to hold his wife's hand as she squeezed on it tightly.

"I don't think..." she panted. "I don't think–"

"You can do this, Hari. I'm here. I won't leave." he said, kissing the top of her hand.

He looked at the ob/gyn and gave her a nod. "Please take care of my wife."

"That's a sure thing." the doctor assured.

Luhan watched Hari struggled as she pushed to give birth to their baby. He know understood what people meant when they say that a woman giving birth puts their life on 50:50 chance and with the determination he saw from his wife, he admired her more. She pushed and pushed and pushed, she was nearly out of breath but she didn't give up. She held on Luhan's hand and that became her source of strength. And after what seemed like forever, their first baby boy came out and the father was surprised at how big he was. No wonder Hari struggled to push him out.

They both breathed out in relief after hearing the baby cry. Luhan looked at her, who barely had energy yet still managed to smile as his cry reached her ears.

"You did a good job, love." he said, kissing her wife's temple.

The nurses took the baby as the doctor continued to treat Hari. They quickly washed the baby and wrapped him with a white soft fabric.

Hari's eyes began to water as Luhan was too stunned to talk. There he was, their little baby, their bundle of joy and Luhan couldn't believe it. He was now a father and although he was nervous at first, he vowed to be not only a good husband to his wife but a good father to his son.

"Welcome, my baby." Hari spoke, taking her baby from the nurse.

Luhan softly touched his soft skin as his index finger was held by his son's little fingers. He smiled at the touch, making the couple beam in astonishment.

"I love you," he said, looking at Hari.

She smiled, "I love you too."

∾∾∾

Author's Note:

TADA! Surprise! Hehehe. This is what I came up with as I spent my time writing at 2 to 5 in the morning. :D

A little gift from me to celebrate 180+ subbies! I hope you enjoyed that because that's everything that matters to me, really. (For those who unsubscribed, I sincerely hope they would still see this even without getting notified). If you enjoyed, upvote if you haven't already.

I'm not sure if there would be any more like this but we'll see.

And I have a new fanfic featuring Sehun. Check it out if you have time: Whisper Of Love