Care

Our Second Chance

Countless memories, countless thoughts, countless unexplainable feelings. All happened in a year with just one person. Both gave each other thousands of memories to remember. All are vivid and heartwarming. Every single memory lingered not on their minds but on their hearts.

Hari rolled down on the other side of the bed, hugging her pillow tight. She couldn't believe that her marriage with Luhan ended four years ago. When everything that happened when they were together felt as if it was as fresh as yesterday's. His answer on why he kept the photos continued to play inside her head pleasantly as if it was a music on repeat.

∾∾∾

Earlier at Luhan's place

"But why?" she asked.

"Because it's you and me." he answered with all his sincerity. The answer he gave was indirect but it gave so much meaning inside his heart. It was the best explanation he could give to her because it was the truest. "I hope you don't mind."

Hari didn't mind. Not at all. In fact, what she found out touched her heart that sent her to cloud nine.

Luhan kept the photos to keep their memories alive in his eyes. Throwing it away didn't feel right.  He didn't want to. Each photo signified their moment together. It became a reminder that there was a time when they were together, not just a couple but a married one.

He never felt ashamed or embarrassed about their marriage. He never told anyone that their marriage wasn't real. When he married Hari, he did it willingly. At first, it was just to fulfil his grandfather's wish that before he died: to get Luhan settled with a lovely and beautiful lady. But later on, he realised he did it because something was bound to happen. If people come to other people's lives to become either as a lesson or a blessing, Hari was definitely a blessing (and a lesson as well. To make things right).

∾∾∾

Luhan was drying his wet hair right after he came out of shower, with a white towel wrapped around his hips. His thoughts were filled all about her. The coincidence of meeting each other at the most random time was staggering for him. He wasn't prepared – he had so much to say, he wanted to do so many things. But for a first day, he could only do enough.

He put on his shirt and shorts before he threw himself on the bed as thoughts took over his mind. He realised how Hari was able brighten up his life again. He got his reason back to smile. When his grandfather died, he did not just lose the man he loved the most, but he also lost Hari. He wouldn't deny that in the past four years he lived a good life. He was able to move on, got himself a good job as a marketing consultant, and got his life back on track. He was able to smile every now and then but he couldn't deny that there was something missing; his heart wasn't just contented with what he has at the moment. He knew his life could get better (especially with the girl he loves).

The accidental meeting he had with Hari was the most beautiful thing that has happened to him. It was as if fate and destiny had them to meet again. Meeting her again came along with a purpose, opportunity and another chance.

When Hari and him filed their divorce, both knew it was for the better. It wasn't all cons, it also had its pros. After his relationship with Jee, Luhan started to treat love sacredly. And when he started to develop feelings for Hari, he feared that it couldn't be real and enough. He also feared commitment which caused him to be a little doubtful – in denial, as what they refer to. He thought that maybe he just fell in love with her because they almost spent their everyday together, living under one roof, always together here and there. But when she left, it was then Luhan realised that his love for her was true and real. It can't be compared to what he felt towards Jee. It was so so much more and for the first time, he was able to imagine loving and spending the rest of his life with Hari. He longed for her long enough, and now that fate was on his side, he's not going to take it for granted.

Luhan looked at his bedside table, to reach for his phone. He opened the screen and looked at her contact. Just one tap away, and he would be able to hear her voice again. The voice he missed even if it wasn't long ago when he last heard it. Looking at the time, he wondered if she's already asleep. Little did he know that the lady is on the same thoughts as him. Her phone is lying in front of her as Luhan's contact was on the screen. She frowned with the dilemma she was having.

It was couple seconds late when her phone rang causing her to get startled but the shock didn't last long when she saw who was calling. She grabbed her ringing phone, feeling excited. But she needed to calm down.

Clearing , she answered, "Hello?"

"Hari..." she heard her name with his voice, making her squeal inside as she hugged her pillow tight, biting her lips to prevent any sound to come out. "Did I woke you up?" he asked, worriedly.

"No." she answered quickly. "No, you didn't. I'm actually quite wide awake still." she explained, brushing away his concern. "Can't sleep?"

Luhan hummed saying 'Yes' followed with, "And I just wanted to hear your voice." he confessed. "Now, I feel like I won't be able to sleep without hearing your voice."

Four years ago, he always slept with Hari's good night. His nights were so peaceful whenever it was her voice he heard last before he travelled to dreamland. It took a while for him to get the enough courage to say these words through the other line. On the other hand, Hari felt her heart stopped beating with wide eyes, mouth slightly opened. "Hari?" he called out, cutting off her daze.

"You know, Luhan..." she started. "My voice isn't that beautiful."

Luhan disagreed whole-heartedly. "But my ears loves hearing your voice." he argued.

The lady felt her cheeks burning, making her blush more than she ever did before. "You need to stop, Luhan." she whined, as the man on the other line found it adorable.

"You're blushing, aren't you?" he teased.

"No, I'm not." she denied, making him chuckle on the other line.

"But it's true, Hari. Your talking voice is beautiful."

She opened to speak but no sound came out. Instead, she remembered how sincere and genuine Luhan is as a person. Luhan is the type of person who says things not to just compliment others to make them feel good about theirselves but rather, it's just what really came from his heart. He's always been that kind of a person – something that she admired utterly.

Hari smiled before she replied sincerely with, "Thank you."

Luhan shifted his position as blissfulness was shown in his face. They were silent but neither of them minded it. Both just enjoyed each other's presence through the phone. Somehow, Hari felt good by it – Luhan, right there. At that moment, the smile on Hari's face can't be taken away. Not in any way.

It wasn't long when they ended the phone call. Both slept with smiles on their faces, it was indeed a good night sleep.

∾∾∾

It was about six in the evening when his meeting finished. It became a hectic day for him. But during the entire day he can't help but think about Hari. From time to time, she would come to his thoughts and instantly smile like an idiot, which earned questioning looks from his team as it was the first time they saw him like that. He arrived at the car park when he looked at his phone once again only to see that there no messages from Hari. He frowned at his phone, slightly irritated at the fact that she hasn't called yet – not even answering his messages or call.

It was about the hundredth (more than, actually) times when he took his phone on his hand to check if she had contacted him. It was in the middle of the day when he decided to call her, and disheartened, she didn't answer.

He sat at the driver seat when he felt his phone vibrating. Taking the phone out of his pocket, he saw who was calling and that made him instantly smile.

Before even he was able to say something, she spoke immediately.

"Han, I'm sorry! I left my phone on my desk while we were on the site to check the location for our new project. Which is why I wasn't able to answer your calls." she explained quickly, fearing that he might've felt quite upset for not answering his calls and messages.

Luhan smiled at himself after hearing her explanation. The irritation he felt earlier faded away in an instant.

"It's okay, Hari." he said, making the lady breathe in relief. "Where are you now? Do you want me to pick you up?"

"No, no, it's alright. We're actually on our way to the karaoke bar to celebrate. It's our boss's birthday."

Luhan nodded understandingly as if she could see him. This is another thing about her that he loves. She never lets anyone worry about her. She always reassures people that she's okay and fine. An independent girl she was. But Luhan can't help to sometimes wish that she wasn't so like that, so then he always has the chance to protect her. He slightly wished that Hari would depend on him more.

"Alright. Have fun, okay?"

She giggled. "Okay."

"Oh, and don't drink!"

Hari smiled appreciatively before she responded, "Yes, Mr Lu."

"Okay, call me if you need me."

"I will." she reassured.

∾∾∾

He arrived at his place, removing his warm coat, placing it on his couch to go to the kitchen to grab some water to drink.

He glanced at his phone again (for the thousandth time today) that he placed at the kitchen top, wondering how Hari has been doing. She never had a high-tolerance for alcohol, actually she had no tolerance to it at all. He hoped that she wouldn't take any.

He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. He forgot to ask where the party was held but he breathed out in slight relief knowing that Hari knows what she's doing. She wouldn't do anything that would harm herself, Luhan was confident about that.

Five hours past and he was sitting on a modern black high stool behind the kitchen's high counter top with his eyes fixated on his phone. He chuckled at himself with how he has been behaving. It's been a while since the last time he has been so attached with his phone. He usually just uses it to call his Mum and for work but other than that, Luhan barely touched it. There were even instances that he completely forgot where he put his phone. And now, ever since yesterday when he met Hari, he couldn't even leave his phone far from him. Just because of one person – but he didn't mind it at all.

He flinched, causing his heart to jump a little with his phone loudly ringing. His face brightened up to see the caller ID.

"Hari!" But the face didn't last long when he heard a man's voice instead of hers. "Who are you? Where is Hari?" he questioned sternly.

"Oh, I'm Haeseong, Hari's office-mate." he answered. "She told me to call you when something happens."

Luhan didn't care who he was or what even his name was even though he was the one who asked. But he felt alarmed more, concerned on what happened to her. Though, he was also glad that she told the man to call him when she needs him.

"Where is she?" he asked again word by word, completely ignoring the man's introduction.

"Hari is drunk. She's quite dozed off.."

Immediately, Luhan stood up, grabbing his coat where he left it before along with his keys.

"Yah! Tell me where you guys are right now." he demanded, making his way to the car park.

On the other line, another song started, while others cheered loudly, making it hard for him to hear what Luhan was saying.

"Huh?" he said, making his way out of the room.

"Tell me where you guys are!" he yelled, shutting his car door loud right after he sat at the driver seat.

∾∾∾

After knowing where she was, he drove full speed, making the quickest route to get to the location.

"Oh! It's Lu Han!" she cheered in her drunk state, while Luhan caught her by her waist and at the back of her head before she fell on the gorund.

He grabbed her arms and wrapped around his neck, before he carried her in bridal style. Luhan drove home while she was mumbling words that aren't existing.

He parked his car and walked around to open the door where she was sitting drowsily. "Didn't I tell you not to drink?" he said even though he knew that she barely could understand or even hear what he just said. Luhan brought his hand to her cheek and caressed with his thumbs in circles. "You can't even drink one glass without getting drunk straightaway." he continued.

It was 5 months of their marriage when he brought her to a party of his colleague. He wasn't meant to bring her there if his grandfather didn't insist. It was then when he found that it was her first time drinking alcohol and that Hari can't drink at all. He spent the rest of the night taking care of her. Luhan regretted bringing her to the party. Furthermore, he regretted pressuring her to drink the alcoholic beverage. It was not because of the annoyance he was suppose to feel by leaving the party early to look after her but rather because Hari got into this state because of him. He knew the after effects of alcohol to people who even had a little bit of tolerance to it. What more if it was Hari?

He didn't like the sight of her vomiting, having difficulty in breathing, getting headaches and rising temperature. Ever since then, he always watched out for her whenever there were parties. His girl was suffering and it definitely wasn't a very pleasant sight for him to see. He hated it.

He began to carry her by scooping her when Hari slightly lifted her head up and looked at him, holding his face on either side (while her bag was hanging on his arm).

"Ei, Mr Lu, don't get mad." she said in a soporific and draggy tone. "I didn't know it was alcohol. I..." she paused, laying her head back down. "I thought it was just blue lemonade." she whispered, putting her head straight back up to continue, "But!" she said, pointing her finger towards the ceiling, "I just drank one! One glass."

Luhan shook his head, smirking playfully. He locked his car and headed towards his flat. He shut the door behind him and placed Hari on his bed.

She rolled over, lying on her side when the scent of his sheets reached her nose. "Wah~ It's Luhan's."

He was heading to the bathroom to grab a towel and bowl of water to wipe her face when he heard her mumbling the words. Luhan smiled and continued his way, coming back to her.

"I missed you, Hari." he confessed while gently wiping her face with the damp towel.

"I missed you too." she replied with her eyes closed. Taking the latter to froze in his place for quick moment. "Actually, I...." she paused, wiping her itchy nose. "I loved you when we were together, you know!"

Her unconscious confession was adorable for Luhan. He can't help but let out a smile as he looked at her fondly.

"It's your fault." she mumbled. "You're soooooo perfect. You're protective, gentle, sweet, sincere, devoted and good-looking." she lifted her head again to look at him with eyes half-open. Poking his cheek, she continued, "How can a human like you exist, huh?"

"Hari, sleep." he said, gently putting her head back to the pillow to sleep. He reached for her bag and looked for her phone, contacting her Mum, who is probably worried at the moment.

"Mrs Lee, it's Luhan." he said, as soon as the mother answered the call.

"Oh, Luhan, it's you."

"I called to let you know that Hari is with me. Would it be okay if she could stay over the night?" he asked, in a calm and polite manner.

"Is my daughter okay?" For a mother, that was everything she needed to find out.

"Hari is okay, Mrs Lee. She just had some alcohol intake at the party she went." he explained.

"Well then, I'll leave her to your care, son. I know you'll take care of her like you did before, right?" she asked confidently.

"Of course, Mrs Lee. I will."

"I'm hoping to see you soon." she informed. "Anyway, bye, Han."

"Have a good night, Mrs Lee."

"You too."

The phone call ended when he turned his head back to Hari to hear her mumbling again. "Did Luhan ever love me?"

He did. He always have. He never stopped loving her, He just didn't have the opportunity to say last time because he wanted to be sure that when he says the word 'I love you' to a woman again, it would be the woman he would spend the rest of his life with.

"I've always loved you, my princess."

∾∾∾

Author's Note:

You guys would notice that there's not much conflict going on here and that's my intention. Only because I wanted to mainly write about how both Luhan and Hari would reflect on things that have happened and their thoughts about what's happening currently. Since there's not much drama, I guess you're thinking that this short-fic is less exciting and that's okay. I'm going to post that last two parts either tonight or tomorrow again. So see you 'till then.