Chance

Our Second Chance

"So I guess this is it?" she asked, quite reluctant.

With a heavy heart, he looked at her and nodded. She placed the papers on the table, both signed by him and her. The papers that signified their disconnection effective that day – strangers turned to married couple, now became strangers.

Arranged marriage, that's all it was. It is defined as a marriage planned and agreed by the families or guardian of the couple concerned. But it was a decision made by him asking her to help him fulfil his grandfather's dying wish.

"Hari..." he called out, making her look at him. "Thank you."

The lady smiled. For the past year, all he did to her was to be a good and gentle husband any woman could wish for. "It was a pleasure, Luhan. And thank you, too." she paused. "Thank you for being good to me."

His grandfather's stories about her were all true. He always fondly talked about her every time Luhan came to visit him in the hospital. The qualities he spoke about her, all those were true because he saw it himself. At first, he wasn't entirely pleased every time he spoke about her. He had doubts that she may not be as beautiful like how the old man view her as, but as days with passed by, he slowly saw what his grandfather was talking about. He understood why his grandfather liked Hari so much.

"What are you planning to do after this?" he asked her.

Hari took a sip from her iced tea before she answered, "I don't know yet. Probably, have a rest then look for a new job here or overseas and start from there." Luhan just nodded understandingly, allowing her to talk. "What about you?"

"I'll give a myself more time to mourn about his death alone and I guess, I have to pack up grandfather's stuff and keep it safe. From there, I'll  start anew." he smiled sadly.

Hari felt sorry for Luhan's lost. She witnessed how close he was to him and although his death was expected, it caused Luhan great sadness. A week already passed since he died, and Hari saw how strong a man he was. She smiled at the thought of Luhan not letting devastation take over him. She believed that he'll be able to move on faster than he, himself, would expect.

"You'll get through it, Luhan." she said, locking eyes with him. Silence filled them once again, taking the time to just enjoy each other's presence for the last time.

Few moments passed by when Hari looked at the time. "I have to leave now, Luhan. I'm sorry." she stood up followed by him.

"It's alright. Don't worry about the papers. I'll give it straight to my lawyer." What he said brought her to be silent again. The reminder of the divorce papers wasn't so pleasant for her but things needed to be done, and they both have to stick to their word.

"Okay," she nodded, half-heartedly. "I'll go ahead."

Luhan bobbed his head, acknowledging her farewell. He watched her walk out the cafe, getting into her car that was parked at the street side.

The end of the arranged marriage was an opportunity for them to find themselves – to be ready and to start things right and real.

∾∾∾

[ 4 years later ]

Hari was never fond of meeting new people. Ever since she was young, she hid shyly behind her Mum at parties. She never took the initiative of saying and making friends with new people. She always sat in a corner and spent time with herself. She wasn't open to unfamiliar people that gave people the wrong impression. It wasn't that she was cold or anything. In fact, she's a very warm person. It was just the fact that she didn't have enough guts to say 'Hi' first, in other words, she's just shy. She's not the type of girl who's bold and confident. She's one of those girls who are quiet, reserved and timid yet possessed a gentle personality.

Despite of that, Hari was strong at heart. She was often described as the strongest person in the family. She always had prioritised other people before her. She's selfless. Even if she looked so fragile and weak, Hari can't be easily knocked down. She was just like that – the girl who possesses the strongest fighting spirit.

"Oh, Hari, you're just in time." her boss, Mrs Jang, greeted her.

"Yes, Ma'am?" she asked politely.

"Are you ready to present the final design to the client?" she asked.

"Yes, it was finalised yesterday." she said confidently.

"Perfect! I knew I could count on you." she sighed in relief. "Be ready in 2 hours. Mr and Mrs Yoo wants to see it."

"Where do I meet them, Ma'am?" she asked.

"The nearest café from the location site."

Hari nodded and made her way to her desk. She pursued her career to be an architect. After all, she has always been passionate about design. She was artistic as ever since childhood but she always had refused to have her pieces pinned on the wall at their lounge for everyone to see. Being the shy person she was, she never really boasted about her skills and creativity. After all, art and design for her was personal. Which explained the reason why barely anyone knew about this side of her. If they were just to judge her by the way they see her, she was incapable of doing anything. But there was one person who convinced her to show the world what she can do for design, it was Luhan.

"Thank you, Luhan." she whispered, loud enough just for her and the air to hear.

∾∾∾

"Oh my god!" Mrs Yoo gasped at the design Hari presented. "This is perfect!"

A wide smile spread across her face, satisfied at her client's reaction. All the sleepless nights were worth it.

She was anxious before the meeting commenced – like she always is. She doesn't know what to expect although she's proud of what she made. Confidence was everything she needed, and she really needed to boost it up.

"My wife is right." Mr Yoo agreed. "We chose the right architect for our sweet home." he chuckled.

Hari looked at the married couple in front of her. The way they interacted reminded her so much of her marriage with Luhan. Although their relationship started and ended with a deal, it wasn't difficult for the both of them to feel comfortable towards each other. The way Mr Yoo looked at his wife dearly, was exactly the way Luhan looked at Hari when he started loving her. At some point, through his actions, it came to Hari's thoughts if Luhan had feelings for him the same way she did, but he never said anything so it was hard for her to assume. That one year left a beautiful memory in Hari's heart. Though, there were regrets, she was sure that it was a memory she would treasure forever. She shook her head for remembering him again the second time today. It's been 4 years since the last time she heard about him, why would he suddenly come up to her mind?

The meeting finished and Hari stood up bringing along her bag and design. She was on her way to her car with a smile she was not able to hide. She placed all her stuff at the back of her car when she noticed snowflakes delicately landing against the car's window. She looked out to notice that it was the first snow of the year.

"The snow finally came." she whispered to herself, holding her hand out to catch the white frozen slush, admiring its beauty.

"Hari?"

The lady froze in place after hearing her name getting called out by a familiar voice. She knew exactly who this voice belonged to. In fact, she always loved it whenever her name was getting called out by this person. Slowly, she turned around to her east to meet his gaze. It was him. It was Luhan.

"Luhan." She can't be wrong. Even though he was standing meters away from her, she knew it was him. She was sure. "It's you." she beamed.