Distraction

That Summer

 

 

 

 

 

(KWB)

 

He stands outside the door, drenched from the rain. His wet hair plastered on his face and nape, his clothes stick to his body. The rain trickles down those pale cheeks, right down to the bag of groceries in his hand. His wet shoes are a sorry sight.

 
"Heheh, seems like I got the wrong place again," he laughs like a fool. I would have laughed with him if he is not drenched and tipsy.
 
"No brolly?" I frowned. "Ya, even though you live just across the street..." I didn't get to finish the sentence, because he sails past, sending a whiff of liquor instead of his usual Burberry Beat.
 
"What happened?"
 
"Hnh?" He spins round and gives a smile. Not his usual, beautiful smile - this is annoyingly weak. "I'm sleepy... let me crash for the night." The drenched person conveniently ignores my question and flops onto the bed, clutching my pillow.
 
"Aishii! You are making my bed wet! Go dry yourself first!" But he is already dead as a log. How tired can he be, to fall asleep all wet.
 
I open the drawer and take out a towel and a set of clothes. The idiot will come down with pneumonia if he is not dry soon. It is not the first time he makes a wrong turn and ends up at my place, but why would he smell of liquor and walk in the rain? The way he is soaked through means he had not come over directly from his apartment. He must have been out on the street for a while. Where did he go? And why did he not seek shelter? I stare at the back of the small head and want to hit it. What a fool!
 
I let out a helpless sigh as I help him out of his wet clothes, wondering what has gotten into him. Is he still vexed over Dispatch spilling his beans with that girl? Or is it because of the troubles that arose from some scumbags cheating investors' money with his name?
 
Looking at the quietly sleeping person, his face sculpted by the gentlest of all gods, I feel the frustration grow within me. He is definitely more resilient than he looks, but somehow fragile at the same time. He prefers the piano over Taekwondo, swears by melodramas even though he wants to act in an action film, how does he weather the constant pressure of this wicked industry?
 
His soft skin shimmers lightly with the rain as I towel him. His long fingers lay limp on his stomach, drawing my eyes to his small waist, firm and gentle at the same time. His chest rises and falls gently as light breaths escape from his soft and full lips... the gentle pale cheeks make one want to lift a callus-filled hand to caress them...
 
I lower myself as his lashes beckon, his breath now softly blowing into my face...
 
He stirs, snapping me out of my trance. I quickly jerk my eyes away but decides to finish the job of putting on the clothes for him. Like a flustered caught deer I hurry to the open kitchen. I grab a soju from the fridge and as I gulp it my eyes again stray to the one sleeping on the bed. I shift my focus away and it lands on the phone just two feet away from me.
 
 
"Woo Bin-ssi! I'm so happy you called," the delighted voice spills over as she answers my call.
 
"Are you still at the set?"
 
"We've just finished my scenes for today. Miss me?"
 
I coughed, trying to clear an irritated throat. From her voice I know she is tired but happy. "... do you have filming tomorrow? Let's spend a day together."
 
"Mianhae, Woo Bin ah, I have to be at the studio early tomorrow... Tell you what, I'll call you when I get back and also first thing in the morning?"
 
I move to the couch and slump down, finishing the drink. "It's ok. You must be tired too. We'll talk tomorrow." I toss the phone to one side, and glance over to the bed. He is sleeping like a baby; his long fair legs contrasting vividly against my black sheets. The two colors suffocate me, making me feel like I am running for my life in a dark wood, with the fair moon hovering above.
 
 
An empty space remains by his side.
 

Tonight, as with those nights he sleeps over, the couch will be my bed.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(tbc...)