Rain

That Summer
 
 
 
 
 
(LJS)
 
 
 
The script falls from the bed as my hand sweeps across it. I slowly open the tired eyes that have not had a rest for days. The fallen script lies on top of a pile of many others. I gaze at them blankly, a whole night of reading and it gets me nowhere. I cannot get the feel of the characters and I cannot memorize a single line.
 
The light from the window announces a new day, yet the dark clouds that continue to hover outside prove nothing new. I get up, sick of waiting for the rain that never comes. A sky that threatens to open up but never does is more nerve wrecking than a downpour.
 
The coffee smell wafts in the room.  It is as heavy as the air around me.
 
What day is this... I've lost track.
 
Not that it matters.
 
The fridge door opens to an empty box. There is also no more ramyun in the cupboard. The groceries have not been done for a while.
 
 
It is time to drag myself out the door again.
 
 
 
 
 
The air on the street smells like it is going to rain. True enough it finally comes and when it comes it pours. Umbrellas of different hues open in a frenzy, pedestrians rush to seek shelter.
 
 
I welcome it with my face.
 
 
Yes, the sky has finally opened up, after days of looming dark clouds. Rain on, rain on, my lips curl on one side. If rain has to come, let it be now. Than later. Yet on this wet day, I am not the only one without an umbrella. Not far, a child stands by the pavement, the rain falling onto her small body. 
 
"It's raining, why are you standing here?" It is not alright for a kid to be in the rain.
 
She looks up with her big brown eyes, which are more lost than innocent.
 
"Kitty has not come home, I've lost my kitty," she said plainly. A little too calm for a child her age.
 
"It'll come back," I said and leaned over to shelter her from the rain with my body. "Let's go over there or you'll be sick."
 
The curly brown locks shake from side to side, "No, I have to stay here or Kitty won't be able to find me." Spoken with a stubbornness that is not a stranger to me. Rain drenches her locks, trickling down the chubby cheeks. Another liquid threatens to roll down those chestnut eyes.
 
"Hey, don't cry... don't cry. Kitty will be back. It will be able to see you from here. We'll just go over there. If you get sick from the rain Kitty won't be able to play with you."
 
Hesitation appears in those eyes but a sparkle suddenly lights them up upon the sound of a soft purring behind me.
 
"Kitty!" and the black cat jumps onto her small open arms. A most brilliant smile adorns the lovely face. The cat rubs itself on her, seeking warmth from the little body.
 
I smile at girl and cat.
 
"Kitty's back, shouldn't you go to the shelter now?"
 
"Ngh!" A memorable toothy grin and she turns to rush off with the black pet still in her arms. 
 
A few steps later she turns around and runs back to me.
 
"Oppa! Oppa, you don't cry too," and the tiny fingers wipe off the rain and something else from my face. Something that I had not noticed.
 
"Huh! Huhhuh," I offer my signature awkward laugh, not sure how to react to the little chestnut.
 
"Pretty Oppa, did you lost something too? Don't worry, it'll come back to you. Just go to the shelter first." With that, the little chestnut runs away.
 
 
I continue on the pavement, the rain relentless. 
 
Someone once said, when it rains it pours.
 
 
And I see no shelter.