Chapter Thirteen

Once Wild, always free

"Again?"

Nichkhun keeps his gaze steady, nodding once. Taecyeon gives a tiny side-glance to TIffany at his side.

"Eoh ... okay then ... I'll, uh, book a boat for you. Are you sure? Last time we ... we ..." Taecyeon trailed off and decided to shut up, flashing his best friend a small smile as he walked out. Tiffany hung back, looking t Nichkhun a while longer.

"You're going out there because of her, aren't you?"

Nichkhun sighed and didn't move from his spot next to the window, but she could see the corners of his mouth turn up the slightest. "I still never got how you can always read me, Fany." 

Tiffany moved closer, smacking him lightly on the arm. "I'm your best friend, and so is Taec. But he's Taec - he knows but can't pick up on things very quickly. I would be surprised if we couldn't tell what you were thinking. Of course I can tell. Plus, I'm a girl and so is Tori. We think alike." 

Nichkhun sighed. "Yea. Okay then. I am." He turned to meet her gaze. "It's just ... she left me with a promise that she'll find me again and ... and make me ... myself. And I know that she never holds up on her promises, and she only makes them when she's serious. But ... " he turned back to the window, a shadow falling over his features. "I can be pretty sure that that's impossible."

Tiffany looked at him a while longer, then said quietly, "You're being stubborn. You can change."

"And Tori noona knows that too," added Taecyeon, who was standing by the door. Nichkhun turned to him, a slightly surprised look on his face. "Come on, hyung. It's not impossible."

"You're trying to deny it yourself, Khun. You won't be able to change if you keep telling yourself that you can't." Tiffany nodded. For a while, the three friends stood in silence, Nichkhun staring at the ground, the words echoing around his head.

"I'll be going," he said abruptly a few minutes later. "I have a meeting."

He walked out of the room, and Taecyeon sighed. "Now that we've said all that he's gonna 'think' again." He checked his watch. "Wow ... he really wanted to get out."

TIffany raised an eyebrow at him.

"He doesn't have a meeting until five hours from now. He was making it up." Taecyeon shook his head. "This hyung ..."

*Nichkhun POV*

It was half an hour later when I walked out into the harbour, the salty sea breeze swirling up small, choppy waves in the dark blue water underneath the pier. I stopped besides a familiar boat, with it's sky-blue hull and the pearl white sail flapping gently in the breeze. Just to check, I read the name off the side of the small yatch.

"So you're the young man who decided to rent out our Skylark?" I turned and saw a man, a sailor, grinning at me. I nodded, and he slapped a hand on my shoulder, making me involuntarily flinch back slightly. "Bring her back safe and sound, don't run into any rocks, and stay out of trouble. You got that laddie?" 

I nodded again, this time giving a slight bow and walking onto the ship. 

I let my mind wander as I untangled the rope, letting the small ship drift away for a few yards before walking back to take the rudder. 

What was I even hoping to do even if I saw her anyway?

*No-one's POV*

Taecyeon tapped his pencil on his thigh as he started out of the window, unable to get rid of the unknown feeling that was shadowing his mind. It felt like ... something was going to happen. Something that could potentially be dangerous ... but then why would that happen?

"Yah Taec what's up with you lately?" Taecyeon jerked back to life. "Uh ... yea ... what?" 

Junsu sighed. "Don't try to hide it - something's been troubling you - I've never seen you so distracted. And seeing that it's Ok Taecyeon, it's something that needs to be taken into consideration." He raised an eyebrow. "Am I right?"

"... Why do you know me so well, again?2

Junsu snorted. "Oh come on, anyone would feel that sometthing was off. Even if you were a quiet, humble, peaceful man. Which ... " Junsu sniggered. Taecyeon hoped that he had forgotten, but he knew that he would have to tell anyway. He was pretty sure that Junsu wouldn't laugh it off like most other people would do. 

He hoped.

"So. What is it?" Junsu sat forwards slightly, staring at him. Taecyeon shifted uncomfortably. He didn't know whether he should tell - as far as he knew, Nichkhun hadn't said anything about telling anyone else and knowing Khun, if he did something to upset him it wouldn't do any good for him at the moment, topped off with the return of Victoria, which just about destroyed his world as it was already. 

"Uh ... I don't know - I mean, I don't know whether he would want me to tell anyone ..." Taecyeon mumbled, his gaze fixed on the floor. Junsu was one of his cloest friends and he would trust him with his life - but there was Nichkhun whom he knew better than anyone else (except maybe Tiffany but that was different). 

"It's something about Nichkhun, isn't it?" Junsu asked, frowning. Taecyeon's head snapped up and Junsu nodded. "I thought so. He's the only person - besides Tiffany and maybe me - who you would act like this about ... anyone else wouldn't ... affect you as much would they ..." he mused. He saw Taecyeon's expression and quickly assured him, "No don't worry, I won't tell anyone else unless you say I can."

Taecyeon sighed. "It's just ... you know that ... ah ... VIctoria noona is back, right?"

Junsu blinked. "Isn't she the one in the newpaper ages ago? The girl who was sighted with the dolphin pod?" Taecyeon nodded.

"Yea. So Nichkhun said he was going out to check, and you know ... I couldn't let him go by himself, that stupid hyung would do something crazy. Tiffany as well - my sister? Yea. And then ... we saw them. Underwater, almost out of sight but we could just make them out. It was instant, I recognized her. Everyone there did. And they disappeared again, but we had confirmation. And ... and then ..."

"What is it?" Junsu frowned, leaning forwards. Taecyeon breathed out deeply, and said, "There was the storm ..."

Realization dawned in Junsu's eyes. "Oh ..." he breathed. "You got ... the storm ... the ship ..." Taecyeon bit his lip. "Yea. A wave hit the ship and it went under. Nichkhun hyung helped us go out by swimming back down and getting the wheel that opened the large door underwater. We got out, but I had no idea whether he survived or whether he had drowned. I didn't hear from him for another day, but I just ... felt that he was alright. And it turned out - he was most likely saved by Tori noona."

"After that long?" Junsu's eyes widened. "Damn ... no wonder ..."

Taecyeon could only nod in consent, staring out of the window and hoping that his he wouldn't do anything ... stupid again.

 

Nichkhun's POV

I stared out to the sea, and let my mind wander. What was I actually doing? What was I hoping to achieve?

If I saw her again ... what would I say?

Taecyeon was right. I am an idiot.

What was I thinking?

It'll be fine, I assured myself after a few minutes of internally panicking. Just to see her again. Make up for everything.

How?

She told me that she'd get me back, somehow or the other.

I kept on trying to tell her to get over me, to get on and stay out of danger. If I asked her to stay, I'll just endanger myself ... and her. 

Why do you have to be so stubborn, Tori? I thought, leaning on the railing. I scanned the blue skies, picking out the small, fluffly white clouds floating here and ther. That should be a good sign - no major storms today.

 don't think I could handle another one after the first.

I shuddered.

But then, in a way, I had come to learn to appreciate it. If it never happened, we would have seen Victoria and her pod of dolphins, but I would never have ended up on the island with her and actually saw, with his own eyes, confimred that she was alive and safe.

For now.

I should have known better that everyone would leave her alone. Now she was almost being hunted - like she was an animal. I had scrolled through the nwes the other nightm checking for anything that might involve me or her, and there was an "expedition" that was based on trying to "capture" Victoria and ""question her about her disappearance."

I knew them.

And there was no way I was going to let them take her. Question her ablut her disappearance? Let's say, forced disappearence? 

I didn't get them, or my father. I never got them. I have no idea what happened - in fact, I was just amazed I didn't report him. But then the answer came to me straight away. Of course I didn't. He was too powerful. If I didn't meet his needs, he would get rid of me and get another, or even ... use the "different, last measure ideas" hat he threatened to use on me if I didn't do what he said.

I really, really didn't want to find out.

THe man who tried to ... banish Tori because she would "Infulence" me badly and convince me not to take over the factories, what would he do when he got mad?

Really mad and had to use "Last measure tactics?"

Thinking back now, part of me scolded that I should have been braver, I should have stood up to him. It was simple - I could have just walked into a police station or something, reported him, and him taken away and I would be free.

The old me - he knew that he would have never done it.

Even if he was sentenced a life spell in prison, which he highly doubted, his father still had friends in "high places". It wouldn't be a problem - one "accident," one more "unfortunate death".

I sighed and rubbed my hand over my eyes.

Seriously, what was I going to do?

*No-one's POV*

Tiffany waved as she walked out of the science corridor, and quickly pulled out her phone as it beeped inside her pocket.

Tiff i told my friend kim junsu du u remember? is it alright? I can make him promise not to tell if u want - du u think khun will be alright with it?

TIffany frowned slightly. Kim ... Junsu - oh yeah. 

She typed back, Tell him more if he wants but not all of it. leave out the ... parts when khun oppa got a bit overboard. also tell him NEVER TO TELL THE MEN WHO DID EVERYTHING TO HIM WITH HIS FATHER it must NEVER get into their hands the knowledge, or khun or tori unnie

She waited, and walked out of the school and quickly started down the street. The device in her hand vibrated.

Ok sure. I know not to do that. we've hid it for years and im not gonna let it go now. you?

right. can you txt me his number? i have a feeling I might need it

okay i'll ask him

Tiffany quickly saved the number and slipped her phone into her pocket as she boarded the bus. 

One more who knew. Maybe not everything, but he knew.

Was that good or bad?

Tiffany sighed as she stared out of the window at the passing scenery, her chin resting on her hands.

*Nichkhun POV*

I pulled at the rudder, watching as the sleek white yatch tilted slightly and turned, now pointing east, and I left it to jog back over to the wheel, steering the little ship so she now was cruising slowly, parallell to the mainland. The wind blew my hair about, but I just stood there, staring out to the horizon, the cries of the seagulls echoing in my ears. 

I ... liked this feeling.

Walking over to the rail, I leaned over slightly and stared down at the crystal blue ocean, frothing up pearly white waves underneath. 

It felt so ... free.

I knew of Tori's strong feeling about being free - her favourite quote, "“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” 

I used to laugh, saying that she would be free from everything except me. But now I understood. 

Maybe it was for the better that she now was where she always wanted to be - where she said that she had always belonged. 

Then what was I doing here? I shook my head. It wouldn't hurt - to set things right with her.

Be with her?

Did I still ... love her?

What are you talking about? My mind screamed at me. Of course I did.

But did I have to be with her?

Her eyes flashed in my mind, boring into me, steady, certain. "I might be letting you go now, but belive me, I will get you back. Later."

She always stuck by her words, she never let herself get away with an unreached promise. And I believed her - or part of me did. What was I thinking, making her try and do something that would only hurt her more?

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OHMYGODS I AM SO SORRY GUYS!!!

PLEASE KILL ME TT_TT I vanished for so long I'm sowee ... but now school's started then I can update quicker since I now have access to the laptop!! :) I'm so sorry ... T.T you can hate me if you want ...

Anyways, hello again my old readers!! (if any even stayed T.T) and new readers, welcome!! *opens arms* I hope you are enjoying this little fanfic of mine ... huhuhu ...

anyways gotta go soon ... homework calls ... T.T love you all!!

Byebye!! :)

meemow123 xxx