Chapter 9

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yuri was rudely awakened by a loud crash and muffled shouts coming from Taeyeon's workshop. She heard the door slam shut.

Twice.

First from Taeyeon's room and the next was the front.

The tanned girl quickly ran out and found Jessica picking up broken canvases and some paint tubes on the floor. "Oh my god. What happened in here?" Yuri gasped as she surveyed the room. "Jessica," she stepped closer when the older woman said nothing and simply started to put the easels back together. "Did Taeyeon…did she…"

Jessica let out a shaky breath. "No, but if these easels could sue for physical injuries…"

"." Yuri knelt down and placed a hand on Jessica's shoulder. "Jessica, be honest. Did Taeyeon hurt you?"

The brunette closed her eyes and shook her head. "Not physically. But—god, I've not seen—I had no idea... I mean I know she is irritable but—She just—she just blew up, Yuri." Jessica inhaled deeply. "God, I was so scared."

"Come on. Let's go to your place, okay? She left a few minutes ago, but it would be better if you're not here in case she comes back."

Jessica felt as if she was being literally lifted off the floor by Yuri. It took almost an hour for the brunette to calm her nerves and stop herself from shaking. "She asked me to go that…that barbeque thing?"

Yuri nodded. "It's this huge party our squad sponsors every end of the year."

"And I told her…I told her I can't go with her and she…" Jessica breathed deeply again.

"You can't or you don't want to?"

"Can't. I tried explaining that I have work. It's the holidays and we're at our busiest during this time of year."

"Why didn't you tell her before? She paid for your ticket."

"Because I knew she would have reacted negatively. I was trying to find a good timing. But this is somehow I never expected to happen. I didn't even know people had to pay for a barbeque event."

"Well, it's not just a barbeque event. It's a charity event. We hold it annually. We make a decision which charity or foundation we donate the proceeds to. I may or may not have influenced this year's decision."

"Who's the beneficiary?"

"The Inkatha Youth Foundation for the Arts."

Jessica's eyes widened and she slowly broke into a smile. "Taeyeon donates some of her time there, right?"

"Sometimes,yeah. It's those things that still make me believe in Taeyeon, you know?"

The older woman nodded solemnly. "That's why she's insistent on making me go, huh?"

"I guess," Yuri shrugged. "It's not my habit to scrutinize her intentions."

They fell into a deafening silence until Yuri sighed loudly.

"I've never seen her like that," Yuri mumbled with a deeply worried expression. "Get so riled up like that."

"So this is the first time?"

The younger girl's lips twitched with her eyes kept firmly on her hands. "No—I mean, I've not seen her really explode. But she's—she told me right after her sister died, her parents insisted to keep her in their home at the suburbs and Taeyeon, she, uh, she basically tore their house down."

"And her parents…just gave in?"

"I guess…when you just lost a daughter…you kind of want to do everything not to lose the remaining one." Yuri shrugged.

"I don't know. I don't really care what goes on in their minds. And Taeyeon never really explained why she did what she did. I do think she went overboard this time."

"No—I. What scares me is she might do something to hurt herself."

"Uhm, I don't think she'll do anything crazy. She loves you. She's really mad right now, but yeah, she won't do anything that will make you really mad at her."

"I'm going to trust your word because you know her more than I do."

"That should change."

"I'm sorry?"

"You should know her more than I do. She's your girlfriend."

"Yes, but you've known her longer. I'm trying."

"No, you're not."

Jessica was taken aback by the young girl's statement. "Yuri, I know you're more sympathetic of Taeyeon, that's expected. But—"

"Don't." Yuri closed her eyes and breathed deeply. She then stared intensely into Jessica's eyes before shaking her head. "I have never spoken to Taeyeon about my genuine sentiment towards you because, Jesus, I've never seen her so smitten with anyone. It breaks my heart. Look, Jessica," Yuri sighed. "I like you as a person but I don't like you as Taeyeon's girlfriend."

Jessica slightly narrowed her eyes and straightened her back. "You don't like me as Taeyeon's girlfriend. What, do you—are you in love with her?"

"What? Oh, eww, no." Yuri stuck out her tongue and grimaced. "That's not what I meant. She's very beautiful and all, and I'll be the first to admit that she's very attractive. But, no."

The older woman visibly relaxed at this. "Okay, that's good. I don't think I could compete with you."

"Why's that?"

"I don't think she's ever gotten over her crush on you." Jessica smiled sadly. "Half of our conversations revolve around Yuri this, Yuri that." The younger girl sniggered.

"No, you're getting it all wrong. She's not… I'm her safe topic."

"Uhm, her what?"

"When she doesn't know what to say anymore, but she feels like she's expected to hold a conversation, she talks about me. It's always been like that. You have no idea how many people I've met through her and have the same reaction." Yuri chuckled wryly.

"Oh, so you're that Yuri."

"But why would she do that with me? I don't—it's not a requirement for us to always talk. I don't expect her to, you know."

"Well, maybe she does want to talk and just doesn't know how to."

"So, she uses you as an opening?"

"Maybe. I don't know. All I know is Taeyeon worries all the time that you're not being completely honest with her."

"And you share that opinion."

"I do."

Jessica pursed her lips and nodded slowly.

"Are you?"

"Yuri, I wish everything was just black and white. But life isn't like that."

"Bull. Don't talk to me about life. I come from the poorer section of this town. And don't treat Taeyeon like a child. She's probably gone through worse things than you."

"The way she acted earlier isn't helping your case, Yuri. She can be very immature."

"And so are you. Hiding things from her isn't the most mature act in the world."

"You're assuming that I am hiding things."

"Aren't you?"

"Like I said, I am trying, Yuri. It's not easy for me to just open up to anyone."

"Taeyeon isn't just anyone."

"That’s why I am trying."

"Then start by being there at the party."

"You're not being fair, Yuri. This is my livelihood you're talking about."

"No, I'm talking about you letting Taeyeon in your life. You complain about the fact that she talks about me half of the time. How do you think I feel about her talking about you all the time? Nothing exists anymore for Taeyeon except you, Jessica. I'm scared that when everything stops, she won't be able to recover from you."

"When it stops. You sound so sure it will."

"Considering how much you've been letting your self-preservation instincts rule your relationship with her? You seem to be so sure it will."

"You're making a huge judgment about me just by knowing Taeyeon's side."

"I am her best friend. I'm supposed to take her side. Except, if she starts physically hurting you. I don't condone that."

"She didn't. Don't worry."

"Yeah. But I'm also just saying if she does."

"I understand." Jessica frowned as she wrung her hands together. "Do you think she's capable of hurting me that way?"

"I don't think I can answer that. You guys need to talk about what happened. It's making me nervous, to be honest."

 

Nervous was an understatement. Taeyeon didn't show up for days, with Yuri covering for her absence in school and Jessica frantically searching all possible locations the artist might have gone to. To say that Taecyeon was pissed because of Jessica's refusal to go to work while looking for Taeyeon was also an understatement.

She wanted to file for missing person, but Yuri insisted Taeyeon is just hiding somewhere. It led the older woman to conclude that the two younger girls were most likely communicating with one another. Too calm for someone whose best friend has gone AWOL. That pissed her off.

Like Hunts Point, Bronx pissed.

On the fourth day, Jessica stormed in Taeyeon's home, ignoring a half- Yuri on top of Yoona.

"What the ?" Yuri fumbled over, quickly reached for her shirt and allowed the tall blonde to scamper away for cover. "Learn how to knock!"

Jessica invaded the tanned girl's personal space and pointed a finger at her. "I'm just going to say this once and only once. If I find out that you are in cahoots with Taeyeon because of some demented notion of friendship in order to make me suffer—"

The tanned girl scoffed. "Sure, like what are you going to—"

"Let me tell you something. I've lived in the slums. I've dealt with every kind of scum in this world. I've escaped twelve police raids, five gang-related school shootings and one attempted ual assault. All before I turned seventeen, sweetheart . I am tougher than you can imagine. So. Do not make me repeat this question. Where. The. . Is. Taeyeon?"

Yuri stood still as color drained from her face. She gulped then quietly handed over her cellphone to the fuming older woman.

"What's this?"

"Uhm, Taeyeon texted her whereabouts. The address is there."

"So, you've been s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter