Chapter 6

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Taeyeon opened her eyes and tried to orient herself to a different environment. She's in Jessica's room. She closed her eyes again and desperately tried to replay in her mind everything that happened the night before.

She felt the brunette stir at her side then draped her arm around Taeyeon's torso. The feeling of being beside someone had woken Jessica up. She's not used to this; but it's certainly an adjustment she doesn't mind making.

"Hey, you." the artist murmured when Jessica fought to open her eyes. "Good morning."

"Good morning." the brunette half-smiled. "What time is it?"

"It's, uh..." Taeyeon reached for her phone and checked "7:30."

"Mfff..." the brunette grunted then swung her leg around Taeyeon's before burrowing her face on the artist's shoulder. "Tired."

"Got you tired, huh?"

"Wipe that smirk off your face, Kim Taeyeon."

"You're not even looking!"

"I can hear it in your voice."

"Wow."

"Yeah. But hmm, need to get up now."

"But why?" Taeyeon wrapped her arm and leg around Jessica until they were entwined together.

"Cats." the brunette breathed out.

The artist tightened her hold. "The cats can take care of themselves for a day."

"Taeyeon…what are you doing?" Jessica held a chuckle when she felt slender fingers scampering to reach a particular spot.

"Trying for a repeat performance."

"You're insatiable."

"You're irresistible."

"Charmer."

"Does it work?"

"Most of the time."

"Like now?"

She was putty in Taeyeon's hands but the last thing she wanted was for the self-assured girl to know that. "Yes. But we are getting up."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want us to be stuck here all day."

"What's the point of a day off if—mmph!"

Jessica covered Taeyeon's lips with the palm of her hand. "The point is that we get to spend time and do things together. You did ask if you can take me out."

Taeyeon nodded then the brunette's hand.

"Taeyeon!", Jessica laughed and tried to remove her hand but the artist had a death grip on her wrist. "You're gross!" She squealed and squirmed while Taeyeon continued to flick her tongue. Jessica's laughter slowly died down and ended with a huge smile while staring at the artist's eyes that was full of mirth.

That was a first.

"I love your eyes." the brunette said breathlessly. She combed through Taeyeon's hair using her fingers as soon as Taeyeon let go of her hand. "Why pink?"

"Because it's not usual."

"So why not green?"

"Because I don't wanna look like a grasshead—you don't like it?"

"I do, actually." Jessica said in all honesty.

An eyebrow rose involuntarily. "Really? You're not bothered by it."

"Can't say I was immediately enamored by it. But. It did grow on me, though. And you are beautiful. This..." the brunette cupped Taeyeon's chin, "this face is gorgeous, so any color, any hairstyle will fit you."

"So if I shave my head…"

"I'd rather you won't."

"I thought you said anything will suit me."

"Yes, but I like touching your hair."

"I've noticed."

"You don't mind, do you?"

"I like it."

"So, don't shave your head. I like that I have something to hold on to when you're down there."

Taeyeon's mouth opened and formed an "o" and nodded in understanding. "Roger, that!"

"And speaking of…I can't imagine you as blonde."

Taeyeon frowned. "How did you—oh. Heh." The artist's face flushed when Jessica traced her eyebrows then looked down and waggled her own brows.

The brunette chuckled at the touch of pink on the other girl's cheek. "Aww, now your cheeks match your hair."

"Shut up." Taeyeon chuckled before ducking her head and kissing Jessica's neck. "I love you."

The brunette closed her eyes and swallowed her words.

Why is it so hard to say it back?

Because it is.

"Thank you." Jessica mumbled.

To the inexperienced, a word of advice. When your partner says "it's okay not to say it back".

It usually means it’s not okay not to say it back. Saying "I love you" isn't done out of sheer politeness.

Telling someone you love them actually borders on being rude. You don't ask permission to say it. You don't go, "excuse me, I hope you don't mind. Can I tell you I love you?"

No.

Just no.

Philosophers have spent all their lives analyzing, dissecting, creating taxonomies on forms of love.

And they say Eros is the selfish form of love.

Because it is all about self-benefit. Of being with someone because they make you feel good. Of saying I love you because they make you feel happy.

So, not hearing them say those words back does hurt.

And saying "thank you" hurts more.

Because you would rather that the other person says nothing, than to be polite.

Taeyeon forced a smile. "I'm hungry."

"There's a diner a few blocks away. Want to eat there?"

"Okay, sounds good."

"Then, you'll bring me to…wherever. Let me get to know Vegas through Kim Taeyeon's eyes."

"Seriously? You've been here for some time now."

Jessica pointed to herself. "Work."

"Geez. You live a boring life, huh?"

"Not anymore."

Maybe boring is good. At least Jessica didn't have to deal with hormonal non-girlfriends.

The moment they stepped inside the diner, a bunch of cheerleader-types stared at them. "Perfect", Taeyeon mumbled with a slight frown as they sat down in the only available booth, which happened to be next to those girls.

"Hey, Taeyeon." blonde number 1 said in a very flirty manner.

"Hey." the artist said with the menu covering her face.

qBlonde number 2 turned around completely, kneeling on the seat and propping her chin on her hand. "So, what we heard was correct. You do have a way older girlfriend."

"And it's your business, because?" the artist bit back.

"Well… people go to jail for that."

"16 is the age of consent in Nevada, you moron!" Taeyeon growled then turned to face Jessica who was half-amused and half-annoyed at the exchange. "I checked", she shrugged.

"Hey, come on, leave them alone." Brunette number 1 mumbled. "She'll tell Yuri about this and then we'll be in trouble."

Ah. So they are cheerleaders.

"Tae won't get us in trouble." Blonde number 1 said haughtily.

"Don't call me that!" the young artist with gritted teeth but visibly relaxed after Jessica rubbed her thigh.

"Why? We all used to call you that. You know, when you were still sky splitting your way to regionals."

Jessica's eyes widened and opened .

"Are you guys planning to aggravate me all morning?" Taeyeon whispered then sighed in exasperation.

Brunette number 1 stepped in. "Taeyeon, I'm sorry. We were just about to go". Glaring at her friends, the girl then glanced at Jessica apologetically before leaving some money at the table. The other two followed immediately, albeit begrudgingly.

"I think I'll have waffles. What do you want?"

Jessica stared at Taeyeon. "Uhm, French toast."

"Great."

The older woman continued to stare at the artist until Taeyeon gave up her attempts to avoid discussion. "You can ask me about it, I guess."

"You were a cheerleader?"

"Freshman year."

"Why did you stop?"

"Because I didn't like hiding who I am. The head cheerleader was my girlfriend, or close to it. She was the one who recruited me, pursued me, and made me realize I'm gay in the first place. But she panicked when I came out to the team. She thought I was gonna drag her down. So she convinced our coach that time—a homophobic —to kick me out of the team because some of the members were not comfortable with me anymore."

"Those girls didn't look uncomfortable with your uality."

"They're not. We used to be really close friends. I was the one who isolated myself after because I was angry at all of them for not standing up for me. It was only Yuri who filed a formal protest. That coach was replaced when the administration found out. But I didn't want to go back anymore. It's not worth going back to something when they've broken my trust. That's why they're being a to me. Because I decided they're not worth my time. They actually have the gall to feel as if I abandoned them."

Jessica looked down and played with the ear of the menu. "You need to…you should think of forgiving them. They must have been so scared of losing everything."

"I can't when Yuri had all the excuses in the world to not risk her spot in the team. She's the one who needed it the most."

"Not everyone is as brave as Yuri. You can't fault them for that."

"I guess…" Taeyeon sighed. "Can we order now? I'm really hungry."

Jessica chewed her lip then nodded. "Only if you promise to show me photos of your cheerleading days"

"You can't corner me." The artist took out her wallet and unfolded a photo. "That's…me." she pointed to a very young and blonde Taeyeon, sandwiched in between Yuri and the girls from earlier, giving the camera a winning smile.

"So you were a high flyer."

Taeyeon quirked her eyebrows to confirm.

"And you turned punk-ish to spite them?"

"Initially, yeah. But afterwards, I really liked it."

"So you keep this photo for?"

The artist shrugged. "I had good days with the team."

Jessica decided it was best to simply accept Taeyeon's answer and keep things light for the rest of the day.

It turned out to be a great decision.

"So, this is where Neon spirits go to when they die?" Jessica chuckled as they wandered around the Neon Boneyard. The younger girl hooked her arm on Taeyeon's as they let a large tour group pass through.

"Cool, huh? It's like Vegas history before your eyes."

"Yes, and..." the brunette looked down and touched her VIP pass, "we didn't even need to set up an appointment."

"Small perks of being part of the local art community. We can get in museums for free, if we know the right people."

Jessica saw Vegas through the younger girl's eyes and for the first time didn't view the city from a dark and sinister perspective. From the boneyard to the Spring Preserve, she had forgotten for a brief moment why she longed to be far away from this place.

They made one last stop before sunset to a small but well-located gallery. A tall, lanky man welcomed them in.

"Hey, Mr. Schue. This is Jessica."

"Taeyeon." the man grinned and shook the brunette's hand. "Jessica, pleased to me meet you."

"Mr. Will Schuester owns this gallery. He's also my art teacher."

"Who seems to lack a certain student these days."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll show up. I've just been very preoccupied with more important stuff." she quirked her eyebrows and pointed Jessica—busy looking at the art displays—using .

Jessica hummed absent-mindedly when the man chuckled softly.

"Find anything you like, Jessica?" Will asked amiably.

"I do actually." the brunette smiled widely then points to a painting by Taeyeon that depicted flames in a large black canvas. "Can you tell me more about this?"

Will glanced at Taeyeon and chuckled again. "Well…uhm, the artist is right here. She just actually had that sent a few months ago. Perhaps it's best she says something?"

The artist was speechless. "I…I, uhm, I used a gloss medium to, uh, have that glow effect. It, uh, I did that when, uhm, I was, uhm, I mean..." she breathed deeply, "that's you." Taeyeon mumbled.

Well. That certainly wasn't expected.

Will excused himself and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter