Chapter 19

My Enemy’s Enemy is my friend

Hosung doesn’t come back that night, fear wrapped around Mina, it was her company though the quiet night. Mina couldn’t sleep; not when every creak sounded like Chanyeol being hit because of her words, true as they may be. But soon light broke through the darkness, and Mina held onto her hope that Chanyeol was fine. The door bursts open, and Hosung walks in holding a clothing bag. He walks over to Mina and dumps the bag onto the bed, white fabric rolling out from the bag; a wedding dress. Mina felt whatever was still left in her stomach make its way up her esophagus; but with sheer will, she manages to keep it in place as Hosung bends over to her. Mina stiffens and the piece of metal from Chanyeol digging into her skin, ready to attack. But Hosung simply cuts her loose, Mina gives him confused glare.

Hosung snorts, “Don’t try anything, I just want to you get dressed.” He says as he heads out. Mina considers running, but she didn’t want to leave Chanyeol behind. Hosung comes back with a bucket of steaming water, a towel and a bar of plain soap. “Can’t have a dirty bride.” He chuckles darkly as he shuts the door behind him, at least he had some decency. Mina bit softly on her tongue to stop anymore words from coming out of ; now was not the time. Mina rotated her wrist, touching the angry red line circling her wrist. She peels of her dirty clothes and slowly wipes away the dirt and sweat that had accumulated while she was here. When she was done, she hesitated; should she put on her old clothes? They were easier to run in… Mina sighs as she reaches the dress on the bed; now was not the time to run… yet. The fabric of the dress felt wrong on her body, too cool and white. Mina catches a glimpse of herself in the mirror and frowns. There was too much fabric and too many frills, bright pink flowers on the bodice, ironically complimenting the raw lines on her wrist. Mina would have not been caught dead in this dress, another reason she had to get her and Chanyeol away from Hosung as soon as possible.

Mina could hear Hosung swearing somewhere in the house, she edges closer to the door, pushing it open ever so slightly.

“… Time?” Hosung says as he paces near the door, “How much longer?”

Mina pushes the door a bit more to see what Hosung is doing as he walks out of her sight. Mina freezes when the door creaks, she shoots a look in Hosung’s direction, but Hosung seem to have not noticed. Mina breathes out slowly; as the tension in her bones softened she strained to hear what Hosung was saying.

“I understand.” Hosung says, “I’ll see you in thirty minutes.” He says as he walks back to the room where Mina was listening.

“I know you were listening.” Hosung says as he stuffs his phone into his pocket. “Come out I want to see the dress.”

Mina bit of her tongue to stop the angry words that had accumulated on her tongue, she pushed open the door and walks in.

Hosung gives her a thorough look over and then makes a twirling motion with his hand.

Mina clenched her fist, trying her best to suppress the urge to stab him in those disgusting eyes.

“I thought you couldn’t get reception up here.” Mina comments gesturing at Hosung’s phone.

“I may be working as some farmer, but my parents haven’t forsaken me completely, they got someone to set something up so that they could check up on me.” Hosung says, as he continues to look at Mina.

“So…” Mina pauses, should she ask these questions? She needs to find out if she will be able to use cellphone.

Hosung bursts out laughing, “Don’t even think about it, only I can access it. You will too; after the ceremony that is. Speaking of the ceremony, the priest will be late, but we should go there so long. Save some time; you know?” Hosung says smiling for a moment. That smile stirred a strange emotion within Mina, it was the first time she saw something different in him. Mina could quite put her finger on it, was it maybe hope? Mina feels sorry for him, but at the same time, she is currently being held captive by the same person.

Mina had to squish in the front seat with Chanyeol and Hosung, the front seat was only meant to seat two people, and the additional fabric from her horrendous dress didn’t help the situation. The ride to the church became particularly torturous when Hosung turned off the main road and onto a beaten track filled with potholes and fallen shrubbery. Each dip and bump on the road jostled Mina and Chanyeol, causing many awkward apologies and countless glares from Hosung, but Mina was glad it was Chanyeol who was next to her separating her from Hosung. The truck slowly rolls to a stop as they arrive at an old abandoned church, the stone walls crumbling exposing remnants of the wooden beams that used to support the structure. Mina rolls her eyes, what was Hosung thinking? Was it really that important that they get married in a church?

Hosung walks Mina to the front, Chanyeol following closely behind. His face becoming more and more gray as they got closer to what was left of the alter. When Hosung passes Chanyeol a pair of rings, his face becomes a sick shade of green when he realizes he will also be doubling as the best man.

As the minutes ticked by Mina became more hopeful, the longer it took, the better the chances are that someone may find them. If all else fails, Mina could just refuse to say the cementing words. Hosung was clearly getting more agitated as time passed, his pacing increasing to the point where the mossy floor was slowly wearing away, revealing the dirty paving.

“You will keep your mouth shut through this pastor and act like a bride would, or else you boyfriend here will not have long to live.”

Mina’s heart drops, Hosung had not threatened their lives up until this moment, and the sudden change led Mina to believe he was serious, beyond reason. Hosung resumes his pacing but he eventually gives up and goes out to the main road pulling Chanyeol along with him, leaving Mina alone in the church. As Chanyeol was dragged away, he mouthed the distinct words; run. By how could Mina do that? She couldn’t leave Chanyeol, it wasn’t even his fault. Even if she did run and get help, who knows how long it will take for Mina find someone who can help them? She shook her head, and for a brief second there was a look of relief which flitted across Chanyeol’s face.