Chapter 49

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The clinking sound of the chains made a loud echo through the dark hallway. Haneul adjusted the arm sling, she hated that it put all the pressure on her other shoulder. Dr. Lee was not going to let her leave the house without one. The sound of her shoes echoed down the hall which caused the chains to clink even louder and faster. Haneul knew that Mr. Choi was afraid but she was more interested in why he shot her. As she reached the end of the hall and turned into the room, Mr. Choi’s back was facing her. He was tugging on the chains to break free from the wall but it was no use. Haneul saw the chair that was kicked to the side and she picked it up with her free hand. She set it down next to Mr. Choi and took a seat. Mr. Choi did not turn around to see her and she knew that he would have preferred to die that night.

“Mr. Choi, turn around.” Haneul said.

Mr. Choi didn’t move and Haneul crossed her legs and leaned back into her seat.

“I don’t want to…”

Mr. Choi turned around and bowed down at her feet which caused Haneul to notice the bruising on his face and neck.

“Did Kris come by?” Haneul asked.

Mr. Choi nodded his head and Haneul used her hand to grab onto his collar. She pulled it up and he lifted his head up. Haneul saw the damage that Kris did and she was not surprised.

“Didn’t I tell you to not lay a hand on Huan?” Haneul said.

“I thought I was going to kill him and then you. I would have killed myself too.” Mr. Choi said.

“It’s a pity that Kris didn’t kill you.” Haneul said.

Mr. Choi nodded his head and rolled onto his knees. He bowed his head down to her and Haneul grabbed his hair to lift up his face again.

“Now tell me, why did you try to kill me?” Haneul asked.

Mr. Choi was going to lower his head again but Haneul kept a grip on his hair. Haneul could see in his eyes that he was scared.

“Does it have to do with Sungyeol?” Haneul asked.

Mr. Choi avoided her gaze and Haneul let go of his hair which caused him to turn around to face the wall again. Haneul looked at Mr. Choi, she tilted her head while she looked at him.

“You don’t have to be so shy. I already have an idea of what is going on but I don’t have a single piece of evidence besides witnesses.” Haneul said.

Mr. Choi didn’t reply to her but Haneul could see why he didn’t want to answer. The things they did would not be forgiven and she knew that they already planned to bring this to their grave.

“Oh, you don’t need to say anything. I already know where you come to play in this.” Haneul said.

Haneul adjusted the shoulder strap and tugged at the sling to loosen it a bit. It was putting too much pressure on her shoulder. 

“I was the one who pretended to buy the fake drug in bulk but in reality we did that to raise the prices.” Mr. Choi said.

Mr. Choi turned around and took a seat on the ground. He looked up at Haneul like she was an angel sent to give him his punishment.

“We tried ways to get more money to come in. The weapon trade was starting but it was not doing well. Drugs were the only things people would want.” Mr. Choi said.

“How many people died from the fake drug?” Haneul asked.

“Thousands of people but many people still did the drugs.” Mr. Choi said.

“Is there any warehouses or a place where the leftover drugs are stored?” Haneul asked.

“Gramps got rid of all of them. There’s nothing left of it.” Mr. Choi said.

“How are you so sure?” Haneul asked.

“I sent people to try and find it but they all ended up dead. There was one person who did tell me something eles.” Mr. Choi said.

“What was it?” Hanuel asked.

“There was someone who is a higher up in the police bureau who was working with Gramps.” Mr. Choi said.

“Did they say a name?” Haneul asked.

“No, they just said that person was high ranking. If they were able to keep the drug case from the police then they were someone with a lot of power.” Mr. Choi said.

“Do you know if this person is still alive?” Haneul asked.

“No, he passed away soon after the drugs were wiped away. It’s as if the drugs didn’t exist in the first place.” Mr. Choi said.

“We’re at a dead end again.” Haneul said.

“That’s why I decided to push that problem away and keep it away.” Mr. Choi said.

“It doesn't end that easily.” Haneul said.

Mr. Choi nodded his head and Haneul looked at him, this man was nothing more than a pawn in Gramp’s game. He didn’t know anything but he was still looking for an answer. She thought it would have been a waste to let Jaeseok kill Mr. Choi.

“Do you know of Jaeseok’s revenge?” Haneul asked.

“It’s all over town, I knew that I was the next one after Mr. Lee. Are you going to claim HC from me too like what you did with Spades?” Mr. Choi asked.

“If you cooperate with me and help me find the drugs, then we can talk about your life.” Haneul said.

“I might as well die here then walk a free man out there.” Mr. Choi said.

“Jaeseok’s not that bad. He just has scars.” Haneul said.

“Coming from you, that sounds even more evil than him.” Mr. Choi said.

“You have two choices to choose from. One, come with me and pretend to be dead. Two, I’m going to hand you over to Jaeseok.” Haneul said.

Mr. Choi bowed his head down to Haneul and looked down at him.

“I would like to choose option number one.” Mr. Choi said.

Haneul looked to the door and then around the room before bending down and whispered into his ear. 

“This might hurt a bit.” Haneul whispered.

Haneul took out a knife in her arm sling and stabbed Mr. Choi close to the heart. Mr. Choi looked at Haneul and his eyes showed betrayal. Haneul leaned close to his ear again so only he could hear what she said.

“I’ll see you when you wake up in a couple of hours.” Hanuel said.

Haneul pulled the knife out and threw it to the ground. Mr. Choi fell to the side and he bleed out. Haneul glanced at him one last time and she exited the door. There were two men there and she looked at them.

“Clean up this mess and dump

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter