Chapter 48

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm finally done with school for fall semester.

I can now update this story and maybe finish it!

Yeah! Wu Yi Fan time! <3

Hanbyul turned to look at Haneul who was staring outside of the car window. He reached his hand over and touched her bare shoulder. 

“What’s going on in that head of yours?” Hanbyul asked.

“Nothing.” Haneul said.

Hanbyul grabbed her chin and turned her to face him. He knew there were many things that she couldn’t tell him.

“At least smile, it’ll make me feel a bit more relaxed.” Hanbyul said.

“I told you that I didn’t want to come to this event.” Haneul said.

“I don’t want you to be all cooped up in your room. You haven’t left your room in days. I’m worried.” Hanbyul said.

“I’m fine, it’s just that I feel safer in a small enclosed space.” Haneul said.

“You don’t like small spaces. I know.” Hanbyul said.

Hanbyul held her hand and gave it a light squeeze, Haneul looked in his eyes. She knew he was nervous and didn’t want to come to this event alone.

“When we’re inside, you better not leave me alone.” Haneul said.

“Don’t worry, we’ll be right next to one another.” Hanbyul said.

“Why are they doing this event again?” Haneul asked.

“It’s an art gallery and they will donate the money to hospitals for new equipment.” Hanbyul said.

“Why didn’t you just donate to the hospital.” Haneul said.

“You know, we need to keep up appearances.” Hanbyul said.

“Can we leave after we buy the first painting?” Haneul asked.

“I was just going to ask you that.” Hanbyul said.

“Let’s try to enjoy this night.” Haneul said.

“That’s more like it.” Hanbyul said.

A few moments later they arrived outside of the art gallery. Hanbyul got out and reached his hand out for Haneul who reached for his hand. Haneul took a quick glance around before tugging at her dress. Hanbyul helped pull out the rest of the dress train from the car. Haneul made a mental note that there were only two men at the front doors and one man stationed at the parking lot. She wondered why there were less men around but it was an art gallery. Hanbyul held out his hand for Haneul to take and she wrapped her arm around his. 

“You look beautiful in that dress.” Hanbyul said.

“I don’t wear gold.” Haneul said.

“I told them to give me a dress that would make you stand out.” Hanbyul said.

“Does standing out to you mean having no fabric covering my shoulders or back?” Haneul asked.

“We’re just showing off what you got.” Hanbyul said.

“There’s scars in those places.” Haneul said.

“We’re showing them that we have battle scars.” Hanbyul chuckled.

Haneul shook her head, the dress was pretty but she didn’t think it suited her that well. She saw that some of her scars were visible and she didn’t like people seeing them.

“Let’s get something to drink when we get inside.” Hanbyul said.

“Did I tell you that these heels are killing my feet.” Haneul said.

“They’re only two inches. I even had them add cushions for you.” Hanbyul said.

“The straps hurt.” Haneul said.

“Sorry, I didn’t think of that.” Hanbyul said.

“It’s fine, hopefully they have places to sit at.” Haneul said.

Haneul was wrong, everyone was standing and they’ve been standing for almost 30 minutes. Hanbyul didn’t leave her side for one bit and she was glad. Haneul held Hanbyul’s hand and in the other she held a drink. She’s been looking sound and keeping tabs on the people who were there. So far only two people were on her target list, one stanger kept staring at her back so she crossed him out. There was only one man left and she felt a strange vibe coming from him. She pretended to turn around to look at her dress train but she was busy counting the number of people who were out of place. She only noticed a server but he was waiting for his order of drinks.

“Oh, it’s Haneul.” Soojin said.

Haneul turned around and saw Soojin and Kris holding Huan’s hand. They came towards her and she saw how much of a family they looked like. They all wore blue and matched their clothes to one another. Kris smiled and she hated how that smile made her melt inside. Kris shook Hanbyul’s hand while Soojin wrapped her arms around Haneul. 

“How are you? You look good.” Soojin said.

“I’m doing good, I’ve been busy with work.” Haneul said.

Haneul felt a tug on her dress and she looked down to see Huan. Haneul turned towards Hanbyul and handed the drink to him. Haneul bent down and wrapped her arms around him. 

“I miss you mommy.” Huan whispered.

She missed him the most because he was like a sun ray that shone into her darkness. No matter what happened he was still an innocent child who didn’t know any better.

“I missed you too.” Haneul said.

Soojin bent down and she looked at Huan, she fixed his hair and smiled.

“We’re still trying to get used to one another.” Soojin said.

“I’m glad that you guys are working it out.” Haneul said.

“It’s all thanks to you.” Soojin said.

They stood up and Huan reached his hands up for Haneul to pick him up. Soojin tried to pick him up but Huan refused. 

“It’s okay, I’ll hold him.” Haneul said.

Haneul bent down and picked Huan up into her arms. Huan wrapped his hands around her neck and looked around the room.

“Here, let me take him from you.” Kris said.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll hold him.” Haneul said.

“How are you doing?” Kris asked.

“I’m good, you?” Haneul asked.

“The same as always.” Kris said.

Haneul wanted to melt into his eyes, she wondered how long it’s been since she last saw him. Something about him feels like he has changed for the better. Maybe it was Soojin, maybe she changed him for the better as Haneul thought. Haneul snapped out of her thoughts and she tried to get rid of them.

“You guys should go look at the paintings. I’ll watch Huan.” Haneul said.

“No, we’ll…”

“It’s alright, I’m not buying anything.” Haneul said.

“Then we’ll be right back.” Soojin said.

Soojin wrapped her hand around Kris’ arm and they took off. Hanbyul came towards them and he poked Huan’s cheek which made him giggle.

“He’s so cute and looks like Kris too.” Hanbyul said.

“Why don’t you go and buy a painting while I take care of Huan.” Haneul said.

“I was going to play with Huan a bit before I go.” Hanbyul said.

“I got him. You go and donate some money.” Haneul said.

“You sure you’ll be alright?” Hanbyul asked.

“I’ll be fine.” Haneul said.

Hanbyul gave her a look before walking away, Haneul turned towards Huan. 

“Shall we go eat some snacks?” Haneul asked.

Huan nodded his head and she walked them over to the snack bar. It was in a secluded area, there were one or two waiters at the entrance and one person restocking the snacks. There was a couple who were talking but they were leaving the room. Haneul looked around and no one was coming into the room after the couple left. Haneul noticed how everything was either chocolate or covered in chocolate. She let Huan pick out a chocolate cake that they were going to share. Haneul fed Huan and wiped his messy face with a napkin. She took a couple bites but the sugar was too much for her. She high-fived Huan as they finished the slice of cake. She put the napkin into the plate and handed them to Huan.

“Huan, you see that trash can. Can you throw this away over there.” Haneul said.

Huan nodded his head and grabbed the plate. Haneul watched as he ran off into the distance while keeping her eye on him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter