Chapter 41

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you didn't read the previous chapter, go back and read it!

I updated yesterday and today so it's kind of like a double update.

Now go! Lol.

There was a knock at the door and Haneul looked up from the desk. The door opened to reveal Jae, he held up the folders from Mr. Jung. 

“I brought them like you said.” Jae said.

“Thanks, you can put them there.” Haneul said.

Haneul continued typing on her laptop as Jae placed them on the desk and took a seat across from her.

“Are you going to spend the night here or should I have the car ready on stand by?” Jae asked.

“I’m not returning tonight.” Haneul said.

Jae continued to watch Haneul work and he could see that she was stressed out from the workload.

“Don’t you think you should take a break?” Jae asked.

“I’m going to when I finish this.” Haneul said.

“We just put Gramps six feet down a couple of hours ago and you seemed unfazed by that. I didn’t see you shed one tear or throw a fit over it besides fainting and stay in the hospital for the past few days. Don’t you think you deserve a break for a few days.” Jae asked.

Haneul stopped typing and looked up at him, she shook her head at him before going back to her work.

“Jae if you’re only going to keep talking like that then get out.” Haeneul said.

“I’m worried about you if you keep this up. Kris has called and texted me multiple times in the last 5 minutes. I had to lie to him that you were sleeping because I know how much that bothers you when people are constantly reminding you to do things.” Jae said.

“I’m fine, I need to work like this. This is the only way to keep myself from falling apart.” Haneul siad.

“Do you want something to eat then?” Jae asked.

“I’m good. I ate the leftovers from earlier, I even had a cookie too.” Haneul said.

“That’s all I needed to know. I’ll be on stand by then, call me if you need me.” Jae said.

Haneul nodded her head as Jae exited the room, she turned back to her work. As she worked her mind kept drifting off to the files next to her. Part of her wanted to read it but at the same time she didn’t want to know the truth. She gave up fighting and turned her laptop off. She slid all her work to the side and reached for the files. There were three folders and she took the top one labeled with the number one. She flipped it open and it was filled with newspaper clippings, they all had one common topic, Choi Corporation under investigation after bribing the police. 

“How come I have never seen these articles before?” Haneul asked.

The article started out that the company was being investigated for bribing the police and the one who was behind it all was Jaeseok. He went to prison for 6 years before he got out on bail. The next file with the number two was filled with emails. There were many emails, some from people she didn’t know and some from Gramps. One email message caught her eye and she couldn’t believe it. Never in a million years could she believe her own Grandfather was bribing people to frame people. They had all the money in the world to make the problem go away but pointing one finger to one person was even more shallow.

 

From: JG

To: Unknown

I will send you $2.5 billion won if you frame Jaesoek.


 

From: Unknown

To: JG

I want half wired to my account and then I will work on it.

 

From: JG

To: Unknown

Done, now make sure it's not traceable because I will not be able to help you if you get caught.

 

From: Unknown

To: JG

Don’t worry. You’re dealing with a specialist not a newbie.

 

“Why go through all that hard work and frame Jaesoek?” Haneul asked.

Haneul opened the last file and there were many records of the Jaeseok reporting incidents to the police. Mostly embezzlement and a few calls about break ins into his offices. Haneul didn’t understand why he would go to the police when they were the mafia who ran the police. Nothing in these files made any sense to her besides the fact that Gramps framed Jaeseok and he served time before he got out. Hanuel ended up putting the files away in the desk drawer. She was exhausted from thinking and also the events of today were too harsh on her. She reminded herself that the next time Jaesoek appeared before her, she would ask him what happened personally. It would make more sense than asking other people. If he wanted his daughter then she would gladly hand her over to him.

“Daughter…”

Haneul remembered what happened the other day, she totally forgot about it. She stood up and walked towards the book shelf that Gramps revealed to her the last time. She needed to get her hands on those papers again. She went to the same place that Gramp’s reached his hand to click or grab something. Haneul struggled for a few seconds before realizing that it was a button and not a lever. There was a loud click and Haneul moved away from the shelf as it separated. The safe was still there but there was no USB, she went back to the desk searching. She pulled out all the drawers and then she saw a crack in one of the drawers and broke the wood pieces apart. There was the USB along with a piece of paper, Haneul grabbed the paper and read it.

 

Haneul, I’m sorry.

 

Hanuel crumpled the paper up and threw it into the trash can. She returned back to the safe and inserted it into slot two, three, and six. The safe opened and she face palmed, the papers were no longer there. It was replaced with one SD card, Haneul looked at it. She wondered why Gramps got rid of the papers that she needed. She returned to the desk and opened the laptop. She slid the SD card into her laptop port and waited for the video or photos to load. A few seconds later when the folder appeared, she clicked on the folder and there was only one video on it. She clicked on the video and plugged in her earphones so only she could hear. Gramps sat and looked at the camera, he waited a few seconds before speaking up.

“Haneul, I am sorry but my grude is too big. I caused everything to happen and there is no way I can make it up to you. I know you might be wondering where the papers are but I’m going to be straight forward. I burned the papers because I wanted to protect her, my granddaughter. She is the real Choi Haneul of the Choi family. Her name is not Daon, I lied to you. I want to protect my granddaughter. She is innocent and should not be dragged into this mess. I know I did wrong by switching you guys because I am a selfish person. Jaeseok kept getting in my way, I had to take him out. When he was in prison, I murdered his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter