Chapter 42

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The closet door creaked open slowly, Xavier hopped out from inside. He noticed how Haneul was sitting up and facing his direction. Haneul reached out her hand towards his direction, a few seconds later she could feel his warmth. Xavier wrapped his arms around her, she never felt so much love in a hug before. It’s like all the worries she had melted away with just his single touch. Xavier sat next to her on the bed and Haneul used her hand to help her lean her head on his shoulder. She wished to see him but her eyes were still recovering. Xavier held her hands and rubbed them with his. The way she looked made his heart hurt, never has she been this helpless ever. She was way past broken, she was on the verge of dying like Dr. Lee said.

“How did you know it was me?” Xavier asked.

Haneul held his hand as she used her pointer finger to write on his palm.

“The daisies told me.” Haneul wrote.

“It hurts me to see you like this. It’s also a side I’ve never seen of you.” Xavier said.

“I will recover soon, hopefully.” Haneul wrote.

“I heard about your condition, why haven’t you been taking your meds for a long time now?” Xavier asked.

“I don’t like how my meds numb my senses, I can’t detect things as fast and I’m always drowsy with headaches around nighttime.” Haneul wrote.

“There's no danger, what eles would you need to detect?” Xavier asked.

“You never know what might happen.” Haneul wrote.

“Yeah, look at me. I’m back to where I said I wasn’t going to come back too.” Xavier said.

“Why did you come back? Dahyun?” Haneul wrote.

“No, she’s living a better life without me now. It’s just that… I was having the time of my life when I left but there was something holding me back. I felt so empty, no matter how much fun I had. My mind kept drifting off to you, it’s like I wanted you to also experience the fun things too. After a few weeks abroad, I came back to South Korea. I tried to get a job at the company and stay low but I didn’t work out. I just decided it was best to watch from afar.” Xavier said.

“No wonder I felt like someone was always watching me.” Haneul wrote.

“To be honest, your acting was really good. If I didn’t know you, I would think that you really had memory loss.” Xavier said.

Haneul jabbed her elbow into his side and Xavier fell forward. He rolled around on the bed while Haneul laughed. Xavier looked up at her while she laughed, his side was in pain.

“That really hurt, you know. You should have just used like 20% of your strength.” Xavier said.

Haneul crossed her arms and shook her head. She was being childish with him and he finally felt at home. Xavier grabbed one of her pillows and laid down on his back next to her. He turned towards her and Haneul tilted her head in his direction.

“Did you miss me?” Xavier asked.

Haneul reached out her hand and touched his face, she wrote on his forehead while he laughed.

“I missed you every second of the day. I even dream of you too because I didn’t think I could live knowing that I killed you.” Haneul wrote.

“What if I really did die?” Xavier asked.

“I think I would live my life with guilt and then maybe that would turn out with me either killing myself or going to a mental institution.” Haneul wrote.

“All that just for a friend?” Xavier asked.

“You were my family, the older brother I never had.” Haneul wrote.

“You have an older brother, Hanbyul. Why? Did you forget because he was also fake dead like me too.” Xavier said.

Haneul paused when he said that. Hanbyul was her older brother even if they weren’t blood related but even then he hid the truth from Haneul. She knew he would be there for her through thick and thin but still she was the child of the person who murdered his family. How could he not hate her?

“What’s on your mind?” Xavier asked.

“Nothing.” Haneul wrote.

“There’s definitely something.” Xavier said.

“I’ll tell you the truth one day.” Haneul wrote.

“I’ll be waiting...”

There was a knock on the door and Haneul turned her head towards the door. Xavier slowly stood up from the bed. He tucked the pillow back under the sheet and slowly walked around the bed to the nearest window.

“Haneul? It’s Hanbyul, it’s medication time.” Hanbyul said.

Xavier quickly touched her hand to let her know he was leaving, then dashed towards the window. Haneul could hear Xavier close it as Hanbyul opened the door.

“It’s a bit warm in here, let me open the window.” Hanbyul said.

Hanbyul watched as Haneul turned her head towards him following him to the window and back to the bed as he took a seat.

“Your senses are pretty sharp.” Hanbyul said.

Haneul nodded her head and Hanbyul patted her head. He reached into her bedside drawer and grabbed the pills. He put them into her hand while he poured her a cup of water. Haneul took her medications and drinked a lot of water.

“How are you feeling? I bet you feel suffocating to be in this room all day.” Hanbyul said.

Haneul shook her head, she felt safer to be in this room. She knew where everything was and if anyone came in she would be able to take them down without any trouble.

“It’s my second day at work, a lot of this is still really new to me. I wanted to ask for your advice on some projects but Dr. Lee said that it is bad for your health. So I will refrain from talking about work. How about let’s talk about food, I know how much you love food. So I will use that to irritate you because you can’t eat them.” Hanbyul chuckled.

Haneul shook her head, she wasn’t in love with food as much as she was with her work but she decided to act annoyed when Hanbyul talked about what he had been eating for the past few days without her. Before Ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter