A Promise Hard To Keep

I'd Tell you I Hate you but then I'd be Lying

~Minho POV~

“N-no, Key this isn’t what it looks like!” that seemed to make him even more angrier.

“I’ve heard that line way too many times Frog boy! It just means it’s exactly what it looks like!”

“Umma please calm down!” Taemin begged. He looked on the verge of tears as we sat together, very awkward on the couch as Jonghyun continued to hold back Key, trying to soothe him.

“Key, why don’t we listen to them” Jonghyun suggested. I nodded my head rapidly, not taking my eyes off Key’s. He was really really scary when mad, or maybe it was just because this was Taemin here.

~Taemin POV~

Oh man, oh man, oh man, Key was really scary right now. He looked like an angry dragon and that looked like a dinosaur holding him back. Who was he anyways? Probably a friend.

I felt like a scared kitten sitting with a frog trying to escape the dragon’s wrath. I kept asking him to calm down, I’ve only seen him this angry a small amount of times.

The boy holding him back seemed to be getting tired. “Taemin ah?” he shouted past Key’s angry screams. “Could you do me a favor and go into that closet for just a bit?”

I was confused on why but I immediately went and after I shut the door there was a lot of clamoring and I could hear umma shouting “The hell are you doing?!”

I wanted to go out and see what was going on but I had to follow that hyung’s orders so I stayed put patiently and covered my ears to block the yelling.

After a while, it seemed to go silent but I stayed in the closet still to be safe. I twiddled my thumbs awkwardly, contemplating about whether or not I should go out.

When I had finally worked up the courage and nerve to go, the door opened slowly and I immediately backed up, thinking it was Minho, but it turned out to just be Dinosaur hyung. He smiled gently and said “It’s ok Taeminnie ah, you can come out now.”

I stepped out, wondering why it was so quiet and that’s when I noticed Key or Minho weren’t here anymore. “W-where’s Key umma and Minho hyung?”

He smiled innocently “I tied them up and threw them into different rooms ♥”

He said it so naturally, it was almost scary. “No way..”

“Really” he said with his eyes growing. “People don’t think I’m so strong.. they underestimate me” he stretched cockily and sat me down.

“But anyways Tae” he said with a charming smile. “I’m Jonghyun, Key’s roommate and friend. I’m also friends with Minho, I’ve known him for years. Key always talks about you.”

“Ah” I said abruptly. I stood up and bowed. “Nice to meet you Jonghyun hyung, I’m Key’s friend and Minho’s roommate.. I guess.”

He nodded and told me I didn’t have to be so formal. “But anyways Taemin, how is living with Minho?”

I twiddled my thumbs awkwardly, not knowing how to exactly explain it. “He’s..mysterious. And confuses me. He was mean to me at first and I don’t know why, then he was nice, and then I screwed up and he was mean and chased me around the dorm but.. I don’t know. It’d be nice to be friends with him but he’s just..yeah.”

I sighed sounding like an idiot, mumbling all this stuff that didn’t even make sense but hyung seemed to make some sense of it and nodded.

“Minho’s not a bad guy, he’s just quiet and doesn’t know how to act when meeting people for the first time. Nonetheless, he really has a big heart.”

“But how come he was mean?”

“That” Jonghyun said, leaning back “I don’t know. I’ll ask him sometime.”

Before any of us could say anything else, there was loud thumping in my room, making us turn our heads.

“Oh great” Jonghyun sighed. “I thought I tied him up real good.”

Out the door of the thumping was Key with ropes loosely around his wrists and ankles. He angrily stormed into Minho’s room-who I guess was also tied up-and then just followed a lot of thumping and yelling and strings of curses my parents told me never to say.

“Sh-should we stop him?” I asked, even though at the moment I was terrified for my life. Jonghyun just shrugged. “Let Key have a moment, otherwise we’ll never hear the end of it.”

We sat a while, me very uncomfortably, until Jonghyun decided enough was enough and went into Minho’s room. I could hear Key screeching “Wait, just a little more!” before Jonghyun emerged with a pouty Key over his shoulder.

“Woah hyung, you really are strong” I said in awe. He smiled triumphantly before putting Key next to me.

He brushed himself off a little, scratches were visible on his arms and cheek. Then he turned and saw my face and immediately threw his arms around me.

“My baby!” he sobbed, probably over dramatically. “Did that Minho do anything to you? Omo I’m so happy to finally see you, I thought you wouldn’t keep your promise!”

I giggled and patted Key’s head. “I’m fine umma, nothing happened. And of course I’d keep it.”

He sniffed and pulled away. “But why was Minho on top of you?”

“That” a deep and tired sounding voice said from behind us. “Was because I was just being angry and stupid.”

Minho came out from his room, scratched up more than Key and looking exhausted. Umma jumped up immediately. “If you try to do anything else, I swear..”

“Calm down Key” Jonghyun said. “Minho’s too tired to try anything.”

“I wasn’t trying anything on Taemin” he sighed. He sat down on the arm rest of Jonghyun. “Tae just accidently sprayed me with water, and I got mad and started chasing him around the apartment.”

“With your shirt off” Key said angrily, not believing it.

“It was wet, I could’ve caught a cold in it” Minho said defensively.

“Minho’s right” I mumbled. “When he was chasing me around, he must’ve been really angry-”

“So you grabbed my baby and threw him on the couch.” Key interrupted. He made it sound so bad but then again maybe it was.

Minho sighed and nodded. “Yeh. Sorry, I just acted on impulse.” He peeked over at me and for some reason, I jumped a little. I don’t think anyone noticed though.

Jonghyun and Key sighed. “Is that true Taemin?” the latter asked.

I nodded. “But I’m okay umma really! It didn’t hurt at all, and I understand why he’d be so mad.”

Key screwed his lips to the side in consideration. “Are you sure..?”

I nodded repeatedly. “So umma, please forgive Minho hyung.”

He sighed heavily and patted my head. “Fine. And sorry Minho..” he mumbled. He just nodded in response.

“Well,” Jonghyun said, standing. “Seems that everything is okay now, why don’t we all go to sleep?”

I’m fairly sure I visibly gulped in nervousness. I hated the awkward tension I get when I’m with Minho, I certainly couldn’t stand being with him for a night.

Jonghyun hyung must’ve noticed because he then suggested something that made everyone’s heads turn. “Or why don’t we have a sleep over instead?”

Everyone but the speaker raised their eyebrows but before Minho or I could protest, Key suddenly bubbled up with happiness. “Great idea Jjong! I have missed sleeping with my baby a lot, why doesn’t everyone come to our dorm for the night?”

I sighed, now I really couldn’t refuse. Minho looked down right tired as he slumped over on the arm rest. But even so, I could barely hear him mumble a “Fine..”

I grinned. “Sounds fun. I’ll just go get some things.”

Minho and I left to our rooms to pack little things to bring to Key and Jonghyun’s dorm.

The only things I brought were my toothbrush, phone, and a blanket. Jonghyun hyung and Key were waiting already at the door, very chatty. I smiled at how happy my umma looked, he really seemed to be enjoying himself.

As soon as he spotted me a wide grin spread across his face as he hooked us by the elbows and asked if we were all set to go. Minho came out of his room and threw a duffel over his shoulder. "Why're you so giddy?"

Key stuck his nose up. "I'm just happy to be with my Tae baby. And why are you bringing that big thing?" he asked, referring to the gray worn out bag.

 Minho shrugged. "I have soccer practice early tomorrow, might as well leave straight from your place."

'So he plays soccer..' I thought as I visioned him running up and down a green field, chasing the small ball til he looked ready to collapse. He looked really cool, but then I thought about a frog playing soccer, and it brought me to giggles.

"What are you so giggly about?" Minho asked suddenly as we walked down the long hallways.

 I grinned up at him "Oh nothing."

He raised his eyebrows at me but I think I actually saw a smile. It was really charming, I could even feel my heart skip a little..but just a little. That's it.

It was dark when we reached the exit of the building and as I was about to casually walk out, hands grabbed me by the wrist from behind and jerked me back.

"Hey what're you..-" Key covered my mouth and shushed.

"We're gonna have to be extremely careful Minnie, remember where we are. If we're caught, we're dead."

I looked at my other hyungs and they seemed to agree. "Don't worry Taemin, just be light on your feet and it'll be fine."

I could be more than light on my feet but really, does this count as sneaking out? Would we really be in a huge amount of trouble if caught?

"Just follow me" Minho said cooly to everyone. He cautiously opened the door and held it.
The night air was refreshing and felt nice breezing against my pale skin. He started showing us which ways to go, hiding and ducking behind bushes and trees and little cafes.

We walked close to the fence that seperated this division and the elementary. Past it, I spotted flowers glistening in the moonlight and chalk drawings left out for the rain to wash away. All the innocence of children could be clearly seen from there.

We were shielded by prickly trees for now so I tugged on Key umma's sleeve to ask him something.
He turned and grinned at me. "What is it?" he whispered.

I giggled. "Remember that one time when we first met and we were playing at recess with Max?"

Key smiled. "Oh I remember Max..but what about it sweetie?"

I laughed quietly. "And we were playing by the mud puddles.."

"And you completely fell in with the most normal look on your face" Key laughed with me.

"Yeah" I chuckled. "And you and Max went to get the teacher but you fell in too?"

Key giggled. "We still went to the teacher, but he didn't even recognize us"

I nodded, laughing at the innocent childhood memories of ours. Key wiped the tears that had come from giggling.

"Oh I miss Maxie. But why are you bringing this up Minnie?"

I shrugged. "I just wanted to I guess"

Key smiled at me and I wanted to talk more but Minho shushed us to be quiet as we neared their dorm building.

"That was a short walk" I whispered surprisingly. Key nodded in agreement as we ducked behind a statue of the first headmaster.

"Can't we just make a run for it?" Key asked annoyed at how much trouble hiding everywhere was.

Minho sighed but Jonghyun also said it was a good idea so we ended up sprinting to the doors.

We were a bit out of breath when we stepped inside the dorm building but we dealt with it and climbed the stairs quietly.

This building looked exactly like mine and Minho's but the rooms weren't.

Unlike our dorm, Key and Jonghyun's was all neat and tidy. Definetly the work of the almighty Key umma.

"Make yourselves at home" Key sang. "I'm just going to make snacks."

Minho flopped on the couch and switched the TV on to sports.

I sat near his feet and leaned against the couch. That awkward air I was feeling earlier was almost all gone now, so I decided to take the chance to make friends.

"So you like sports hyung?" I asked bubbly.

He just nodded silently. Okay that's fine, maybe another question.

"What do you like to play?"

Now he has to speak. Or so I thought. He merely pointed to the TV where reruns of soccer games were showing.

I blew air into my cheeks and tried again. "What else do you like to do?"

"Rap."

I blinked. Did he just speak? That's a first. I felt happy about this accomplishment but also surprised at his answer.

"Rap?"

"Rap." he simply said again.

I'm pretty sure my eyes twinkled. "That's coooool."

He looked at me like I was an alien. "Seriously?"

I nodded repeatedly. "When I was little, I thought rappers were really cool. And you definetly look like someone cool hyung!"

He chuckled a luttle at my remark but I saw just a hint of a smile.

"You know..you have a good smile. You should smile more."

And just like that he went silent again. I noticed this and shook his leg.

"Whaat did I do hyung, don't start not talking again" I whined. He still said nothing.

"Hyuuuung" I shook him more but still nothing.

I crossed my arms and puffed my cheeks. "Fine then" I pouted. But even though he wouldn't talk, I sat beside him and we watched TV together.

~Key POV~

I was mixing the batter when strong hands enfolded me into a surprise hug. "Keeey~ I'm hungry" Jonghyun pouted. I sighed heavily.

"I know, why do you think I'm making cookies for everyone?"

He perked up like a puppy. "Can I help? Oh pleease Key, I'm gonna die of boredom."

I turned and faced him with my hands on my hips. "Don't you have TV to watch or a guitar to strum?"

"But I do that every daaaaay" he said. He continued to stare at me with big puppy eyes before I gave up and let him mix this batch.

"And wash the bowl when you're done" I said as I pre-set the oven.

He groaned. "Aw man, if I knew there was gonna be any cleaning involved, I wouldn't have come here."

I giggled. "Not my fault~"

~Minho POV~

Gosh what was with this kid? He was so immature it was cute. Actually, he was adorable in general.

He pouted the whole time we were watching TV, occasionally asking me to say something.

I finally sighed. "Why do you want me to talk so much?"

He looked so pleased from that one sentence but just shrugged. "Your voice is really cool. It's so deep, it sounds like it's coming from your toes" he giggled.

Again, adorable. And I went back into silence again which didn't go unnoticed at all.

"Aw hyung what nooow" he whined.

I chuckled secretly and so badly wanted to talk with him but I couldn't. Not when I knew what was going to happen if I did. Not when I've already made my promise to Taesun.

~Jonghyun POV~

"Jjong, you done with that batch yet?" Key asked.

I scooped the last of the cookie dough onto the cookie sheets. "Yes yeobo" I said laughing.

He turned and looked annoyed but I could tell he wanted to laugh. "Whatever, throw it into the oven okay?"I was about to toss it in there but he stopped me. "And this time, please don't take me seriously and just put it into the oven like normal people."

I sighed. "But it's no fun that way~"

He just rolled his eyes and turned around, but I could see his shoulders shaking from laughing.
"So how do you think Taemin and Minho are doing?" I asked as I 'casually' put the cookies into the oven.

Key shrugged but looked out the little kitchen window that looked into the living room.
"I swear, if that froggie tries anything on my Tae baby, imma-"

I peeked out the window and patted the diva's head. "Relax Key, they look happy enough."

Key sighed. "So how do you think things are between them?"

I shrugged. "It could be worse. Or better. But either way, I know they're gonna be friends."

He smiled softly. "That's good for Minnie."

You would have no idea how dowbright beautiful he looked at that moment, smiling at our friends, kindness in his eyes, he was just gorgeous.

But then the smell of something burning caught our attention and Key snapped out of his happiness and rushed to the oven.

He pulled out one batch of black little circles and frowned. "Oh poop..at least it's just one batch. Why don't we feed these to birds tomorrow?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Will they eat it?"

"Sure, me and Minnie always fed pigeons back in Seoul."

I laughed, imagining Key chasing birds, throwing cookie crumbs at them. "Okay, we'll go to the pond tomorrow, there're always a lot of birds there."

He looked pleased but quickly pulled out the other batches before they burned too.

We took the cookies and 4 tall glasses of milk to the living room where Minho and Taemin were watching TV in comfortable silence.

"We have cookies~" Key sang as he set the plates down on the coffee table.

Taemin and Minho jumped at them, thanking us, and went back to watching TV.

I flopped on the couch next to Minho. "What're you watching?"

"Olympics" he said with a mouth full of cookie.

Key sat next to me on the couch and pointed to the screen. "Ooh, those Chinese gymnasts are cute."

I looked at those guys closely. "You think?"

He nodded and giggled as Taemin sat next to his umma.

So he thinks they're cute, aren't I cute? I'm freaking adorable, with my dinosaur puppy looking self.

I sighed at my own pathetic-ness, getting overworked at something like this.

We ate cookies and watched TV more, until Taemin started dozing off.

"Why don't we sleep?" Minho suggested, streching.

I was about to agree when Key stopped us short. "Noo guys, the night's just starting" he smiled playfully and I got a bad feeling.

He shook Taemin awake and we all sat around the coffee table.

"Umma what are we doing?" Taemin mumbled.

"Truth or dare" he sang.

I gulped. This might not be so fun.

"Tae, truth or dare?"

"Truth" he said bubbly and now fully awake.

Key tapped his chin. "Who was your first crush?"

"Never had one."

Everyone stared at him, confused. "How could you not have had one?" me and Key asked simotaneously.

He shrugged. "Almost my whole life, I've been focused on dancing. I've never had time to think about crushes or anything like that.."

I nodded since it made sense. I've dedicated my life so far to music even though I've had a thing with a girl or two, never lasted though since they couldn't make music a guitar could.

"Your turn to pick Taemin" I told him.

He looked around our small circle of friends. "Jonghyun hyung, truth or dare?"

This took me by surprise but I just answered "Truth."

"Do you like Key umma?"

The one being talked about choked on his milk before regaining composure.

I blushed a bit and everyone else stared at me curiously.

"Uh..um..that is.." I rubbed the back of my neck. This was awkward. "I..don't know really." That was such a lie, I really liked him.

Taemin's mouth formed an O and Minho just sat back and sighed. I peeked over the tiniest bit to see Key who looked uninterested and bored now.

Oh no, I must've said something wrong. But I couldn’t just lie, i'm a horrible liar. I wanted to bang my head on the table but that would give away the fact that something's up so I asked Minho truth or dare.

"Dare" he said cooly.

I thought for a bit. "I dare you to..call Sulli."

Everyone's head turned to Minho now, Taemin and Key were clearly confused.

Minho looked just the slightest bit mad. "No way."

"C'mon Minho, you picked dare."

"But" he rubbed his temples. "It's Sulli. No way."

"It's only fair" Key sang. At least he was helping me here.

Taemin raised his hand to ask a question. "Um..who's Sulli?"

"Some chick who's head over heels for frog boy here."

Minho looked mad now. "Shut up, she's annoying and loud and I don't like her."

"Aw that's mean Minho" Key said.

He shrugged. "I know but I told her this and she still follows me."

"So tell her straight up to back off."

He groaned. "But I kinda can't.."

Key cocked his head. "Why not?"

I nudged him and whispered "She's the secretary's daughter"

"Shut up Jonghyun, you know she doesn't like people knowing that."

"Aw c'mon, 99% of the school population knows it."

"Why doesn't she want people knowing?" Taemin asked curiously. It was his first time talking in this conversastion.

"She thinks people will treat her differently if they know." I told him.

"Which they do" Minho said.

I pointed at him. "Aha you care about her" I teased. "So call her already."

"I didn't say I did and she's asleep, no way she'll pick up this late."

"She might" Key shrugged. "Chances are, she's stull up waiting for a call from Prince Frog."

He grunted. "I deleted her number."

"I have it" I sang.

He frowned but took my phone angrily and held it to his ear a few seconds later.

We all watched and waited patiently before he put the phone down. "See? Didn't answer."

He slid the phone back to me and I frowned. "Aw not fair, I totally wasted my dare."

He visibly rolled his eyes. "Key. Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Do you like Jonghyun hyung?"

I almost leaped over the table to tackle Minho for asking that but I contained myself, waiting for his answer.

He took a deep breath and simply said "I don't know."

I raised my eyebrows. He doesn't know? That doesn't make sense..

Wait but earlier I said I didn't know whether or not I liked him either. Is he getting me back in some sort of way like this?

I sighed and told myself I didn't care when I actually kind of did.

We went on like this before it got really late and we decided to go to bed before the dares or truths got any weirder.

Taemin went to sleep with his umma and even though I'd offered to share a bed with Minho, he just crashed on the couch before I could ask again.

~Minho POV~

I laid on my back on the couch, a little uncomfortable but I didn't care. I'd regret sleeping like this in the morning I bet though. I rolled over and thought about what I'm supposed to do. How I'm gonna do this for a few years. With Lee Taemin of all people.

-Flashback-

I ran into the nurse's office where I found Amber and Taesun behind one of the curtains. I was out of breath but I was still able to ask "Are you okay hyung?"

He smiled softly and nodded. Amber bit her bottom lip.

"He's just been so restless because of his brother" she said quietly. "No sleep, no eating, no energy.."

She hit Taesun lightly and sighed. "Pabo..."

Taesun just gave her a small grin. "I'm sorry Amber but I can't help it..my aunt just told me he's coming here today..he was accepted."

My jaw almost dropped. "Wow, two new students within a month. I woner why."

They both just nodded. "But he knows I'm here and I know he hates me. He won't look at me at all."

Taesun rubbed his forehead. "Why did I have to let them take me away from him.."

"It's not your fault Sunnie.."

"But you don't get it" he interrupted, his voice rising just a tad bit. "He had no one. It was just me and him, not long after our parents died and the rest of our family miles away. We had nowhere to go, no one to care for us. I was all he had and he was all I had. And I just left."

I walked to him because he looked on the verge of tears. "Listen Sunnie..Amber's right, it wasn't your fault you had to leave."

He looked away. "He could've been killed..kidnapped and and left alone. That's what someone tried to do one day my aunt told me. He was traumatized but unexpectedly got over it within a week, like he'd forgotten all about it."

Amber gasped. "Your brother was....?"

He nodded slowly. "After our aunt took him in over in Seoul, he started going out a lot, street performing. One day he was just going home, an adorable innocent 14 year old by himself at night in the city. Someone grabbed him and put him in a car, then just drove off. My aunt waited for him until she got worried and called police. They found him just when he had started ripping off his clothes."

Amber covered in shock, and so did I. How could anyone go through that? It must have been terrifying.

"How will I ever be able to look at him in the face when he gets here?"

Then something hit me. Taesun's brother coming here today. The same day I'm getting a new roomate.

Who is the street performer I saw in Seoul. "Hey Sunnie..what's your brother's name?"

He sighed. "Taemin."

'His name...is Lee Taemin.'

Yunho's words rung through my ears. No way..

I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly. "Hey um so..I'm getting a new roomate today."

Amber and Taesun looked at me strangely. "And..?" the tomboy asked.

"And well..Taesun's brother is coming today..and my roomate is the new student..and um.."

Taesun's eyes grew wide and he buried his face in the palms of his hand. "Ohh you're kidding me" he sighed.

Amber gave me a death glare. "Why are you just saying this now?" she hissed.

I shrugged scared. "I didn't realize it was his brother." I whispered.

Taesun dragged his hands down his face. "So what do we do then?"

Amber shrugged. "Just let them be while you avoid Taemin until graduation?"

I shook my head. "It'll never work. They're bound to run into each other eventually."

"Why don't we make it that he hates S.A. so much, he'll want to leave?" Amber threw out the wild suggestion.

I gave her an Are-you-serious look but she ignored it.

Taesun shook his head but stopped. "He won't leave, his best friend is here. Key remember?"

Oh right, he was talking about Taemin the day I met him. "Well Taesun, what do you want to do?"

He sat up. "I'll wing it. I'm going to run into him one day, and that one day I'll face him and apologize for everything. He might still hate me but at this point, i'd be okay with it." he looked at me. "But just promise me one thing Minho.."

I nodded and he continued.

"Just please don't fall in love with him"

-End Flashback-

~Minho POV~

So there I was, trying my best not to fall for him. But that was going to be hard, I knew. I'd already been enchanted by him seeing him dance, and now here he was, my roomate at S.A.

But I'd promised Taesun. Although I don't know particularly why he doesn't want me to, but I'm sure it's important. Taemin must have meant a lot to him.

Since I know it'd be hard to keep myself from him, I'd decided it would just be best it he hated me first.

So he could forget me, never look at me again, hate me so much he'd never even think of falling for me.

And when that happens, I'll be upset for sure but I know there won't be even the slightest chance. I won't fall in love with him then.

I've been mean already but look where that's got me. Countless scratches from his umma Key and scoldings as well and I'm already starting to seel bad about all this.

I'll just get through it though for now, and it's not like Taemin can hate Taesun forever. When they make up, maybe I can fall in love with him then.

--

Chapter 11 ^^~


*DUN DUN DUUUN* and it is revealed why Minho was being so mean to Minnie before.

Honestly that idea came to me after reading High School Debut ._. Just throwing that out there x)

Anyways this story is pretty badly written so far xD but I promiseee it'll get better later.

Also, I just had to throw the Olympics in there. I think the men Chinese gymnasts are cuute<3 but then Kohei Uchimura on the Japanese team..gaah cx lol.

 And I really like watching the swimming and diving, it's coool o: Missy Franklin is amazing too x) and so were the Women's USA team on gymnastics :D

ANYWAYS I forgot to mention that I opened a Review Shop :) & I have no customers ._.
Pretty please come see my shop? :3 I want a ton of fics to read and review, I think it'll be lotsa fun x) it's called Rilakkuma's Melody Review Shop :)

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/246422

Anyways, I'll be making daily blogs starting from now on haha x) I'm so lame ._.

Well comment, subscribe, and keep loving SHINee ;D

Anngyeong (^.~)