Triangle

Philophobia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Four: Triangle.

“I’m back.”

“Oh god- you scared me!”

For the fifth time today, Jungkook did not fail with startling me. Either he magically appears in front of me or he taps my shoulder—no matter how extreme or not those are, he startled and scared me at the same time. Right now, I could only watch him laugh at me as he sat beside me. We were inside the school’s inner courtyard. I was seated on the edge of the pond where I was watching a school of fish swim their way around the pond as if they were so free and was not given a limited space to live in. A part me has started to imagine how life would be if you were trapped in a small, cramped space? Would it be okay with you or would you fight for your freedom? Well, the question was unanswered because Jungkook had to put his face really near me. “Why are you so surprised to see me—all the time? Are you really that real with not expecting to pass by me, or see me, or even remember my face every single day?” he joked, which doesn’t really sound like a joke to me even if he was laughing.

I looked at him and realized that we have passed by the half of this week. It’s Friday, and the school system is still down. It’s annoying. We, the exchange students, already talked with the department’s dean and they themselves couldn’t also assure to give us the list of our schedules—but he gave us the list of courses that we are enrolled in, with the corresponding room and time. The past week all we do is find the rooms at the designated time to ask the professors if my name was on the list. I am so relieved that today is the last day of the week and I can finally complete my schedule. I still have one more class today and I was just waiting for Jungkook to accompany me.

To be honest, being accompanied by Jungkook isn’t bad at all. Maybe it was because we are so focused with looking for my classes. A big part of me really feels guilty because he surely gets late with his classes because he had to take me around the building to find my class. I once tried to talk to Rojin to help me, but she looked so busy. Besides, we aren’t that close yet. How would I approach her? I should really thank Jungkook after today, but how? What will I say?

“Are you done?” Jungkook waved his hand in front of me.

“What?” I asked, looking at him in startle.

“Are you done looking at me?” he said, “It scares me that you are zoning out and you’re looking at me.”

“I did?”

Jungkook nodded like a little kid. “It’s scary.”

“Wh-Why?” my eyes grew wider.

“It makes me feel how you loathe me.” He answered, looking at the white koi fish swimming around the pond. “It makes me feel uncomfortable. Should I stay with you? Should I smile at you? Should I talk to you as if three years is long gone?” then he looked at me, “Or should I just leave? Should I just be gone because I know apologizing won’t do you any better?”

I don’t know why Jungkook has been acting up like this, but I can see the sincerity in his eyes. If anyone could see the real him just by looking at him—that would be me, for sure. Three years may have passed but that does not mean all my memories about him was all forgotten, they never were. The years that I have tried to forget about him were nothing compared to those months I had to know Jungkook better. His habits, his gestures, and the way he looks, the way he sleeps, I just know all of it, and never will I trade it for anything. I know it was too silly of me, but yes, I have to admit that I still do want to try and fix everything that he has torn apart, even if it means that I had to have my heart broken again. It was Jungkook’s after all. He can do anything that he wants. I was his, and will always be his.

But some things were not meant to be the way I wanted, at least not for now.

“Anyway, let’s go. I already found your last class.” He said, standing up and grabbing my bag. I stood up as well and asked him, “That fast?”

He nodded, “We are in the same class, actually. That is why it was easy to find.”

I could only nod at him as he smiled and lead the way to our classroom.

Jungkook is my classmate in my course Poetry Writing. He took it as his elective because, “I believe one who is good in writing poetry will be better in writing lyrics, you know?” he told me as we made our way to the classroom. Simple conversations like this were the things that I actually missed about him. Dreams, interests, and anything that has nothing to do with fights, complications, and chaos.

Once we entered the classroom, I knew by then that Jungkook is not a simple student at SUA. Just like in Bangtan High, he is one of the best looking student that most girls swoon over—younger or older may it be. I actually don’t have anything to complain about it. I could only hung my head low as we entered the classroom and looked for empty seats. I spotted Rojin who looked so ecstatic to see the both of us. She was waving towards my direction and pointed at the two empty seats beside her. Jungkook saw it and we made our way to the left-most part of the classroom. Jungkook made me sat beside Rojin and he sat beside me. I looked and smiled at Rojin and she doesn’t seem satisfied with the seating arrangement. “Hey.” I greeted.

“Hi.” She smiled weakly as she looked at Jungkook giving me my bag he carried as we walk towards the classroom.

“We’re just in time.” Jungkook told me as we watched the professor went in the classroom—and right away he started his lessons.

I was trying so hard to listen to our professor, but I can feel how sleepy I am starting to get. My eyes were starting to flutter close and I was about to slump down on the table when someone held my forehead, trying to keep me looking at the professor.

“Stay awake, Soo.” Jungkook said, keeping his palm on my now hot forehead.

---

“Hyesoo, are you going home?” Rojin asked me as she watched me pack my bags. I looked at her and shook my head.

“Why do you ask?” I asked her.

“Well, I was going to invite you in the café nearby, if that’s okay with you?” she asked shyly.

“Ah, well…” I finished packing my bag and I unintentionally turned to Jungkook, who has been looking at me expectantly, with his right eyebrow raised, he looked at me as if we agreed about something to do after class. I then turned back to Rojin, “Can we do it this Monday? I had to go somewhere.”

Rojin smiled, “Okay!” she looked at Jungkook with a smile on her face, “Sunbae, you should join us too.”

“Sure.” Jungkook smiled and that was Rojin’s sign to leave. I have great vibes on Rojin liking Jungkook. It doesn’t look bad in general, you know. When I realize that there was no one left in the classroom except me and Jungkook—who has been looking at me accusingly with that coy smile on his face, I asked in a very irritated tone, “Why are you staring at me like that?”

“Where are you going?” he asked, “You had to go somewhere and not accept Rojin’s offer.”

“That was because of you! I was carried away.” I said in defense. “Why were you staring at me like that anyway? You looked angry and I thought I did something wrong…”

“I was just staring, what is wrong with that?” Jungkook spoke as if he was playing with me. He was grinning, showing me his bunny teeth. That irritating bunny teeth that he shows when he wants to win an argument.

“Whatever, I’m not in the mood anyway.” I said, grabbing my bag and head towards the door. I did not look back at Jungkook, but I can feel his presence behind me. “I’m so, so sleepy.”

“So, are you going home?” he asked as we walk on the hallway, passing by the students, who are greeting Jungkook.

“Yes, maybe?” I answered, not bothering to ask why he asked. “I just told you how sleepy I am, you saw it, right?”

“Ah, I see.” From the playful Jungkook, he was back to the shy boy as he answered me with a meek voice. I turned to him and saw that he was scratching the back of his head—a sign that he was hesitating with something. We were standing across each other, his height’s shadow blocking the sunlight from me.

“What?” I laughed jokingly, “So did you just gave me that look a while ago so that you can invite me for coffee, huh?”

Jungkook went quiet as he looked at me shyly.

Oh dear, I knew it. It was his plan all along. We already stopped in our tracks, realizing that we were standing in front of our building. We were quiet for a while and that means if he won’t speak, then I have to. Should I say yes? Or no?

Wait.

Why would I even do that? He did not ask me in the first place. Let’s not assume things here, Hyesoo. I tried to brush off the topic as I laughed again and said, “I was kidding. I’ll be going home, are you?”

Jungkook got out of his trance and spoke abruptly, “Well, can I?”

“Huh?”

“Can I invite you for coffee? Before you go home?” he said, “I know it’s getting dark, but I can take you home, if it’s okay with you, or maybe, can I come at your apartment later?”

“Why?” was the only question I had in mind. Why? Why is he trying to get an invitation to my apartment?

“Well, I told my mom that you’re back, and she said she’ll make kimchi, you know.” He scratched his head as he laughed nervously—not the usual Jungkook that you see every day. “So she made a lot for you, and she told me to bring them to you, can… I?”

Think fast, Hyesoo. You know you have to answer, no one’s going to save you—

“—Hyesoo! Jungkook!”

Both of us turned to see Inhye, Eunmi, and Jimin making their way towards us. Inhye was waving at us in a very energetic manner. I almost sighed in relief to know that I was saved from answering an invitation. The three gathered with us, “Why are you two just standing there?” Eunmi asked, “We thought the both of you were arguing… or were you?”

“No.” Jungkook said. “Why are you here? All of you don’t have any classes today, right?”

Inhye beamed, “Jimin said you weren’t answering his calls, Hyesoo! Are you so busy with someone else in this university you don’t pick up our calls?”

I looked at Jimin with a questioning look, I fished out my phone from my bag and saw that he did call me five times at lunch. Where was I that time?

Oh, I was eating lunch with Jungkook. Nothing grand, though. We were just eating, so how could I neglect my phone? “I’m sorry.” I told him.

“It’s okay.” Jimin smiled at me.

“Why a-are you here, by the way?” I asked him.

He showed me two cards that looked like tickets, “Remember that book signing event you wished to attend but ran out of tickets? I managed to get tickets for two.”

My heart almost burst in joy. There is author that I adore so much for writing feel-good romance novels and I heard that she’s visiting the country for a three-day book signing event. She’s very famous that before I could even get myself a ticket, it was all sold out. Jimin kne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter