House of Cards

Philophobia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Twelve: House of Cards

“He is okay now.” The doctor went out of the operating room and we all gathered around him. Me, Eunmi, Inhye, Jimin and everyone else went to see him once a concerned citizen saw us and heard the gunshots, he immediately called the police as he tried to keep Seolhyun in his grasp. Turns out, he was a police not on duty. He also called the ambulance so we were immediately brought to the nearest hospital. “Both gunshots were not as deep as we think, they were all missed shots. The patient got wounds on his right shoulder and his left waist, the attacker must not be good with guns.”

“Yes, that girl is crazy!” Inhye cried as Namjoon brought her in his arms and hugged him.

The doctor looked at my side worried, “Miss, I think you need to take a rest too. You also have a wound.” I, too, was hit by the bullet that missed Jungkook shoulder, it hit my left arm which wasn’t that deep too. The nurse already stitched my wound but I insisted to be at the operating room, to wait for Jungkook. I want to see him, the last time I saw him he was already unconscious and I was crying so hard. Trembling, as my mind went into deep mess, I was so disoriented with what I just witnessed, and for me to witness Jungkook bleeding in my hold? Bloody, bloody terrifying.

“I want to see Jungkook.” I told him, trying to move past the doctor and was about to enter the operating room when a hand held mine.

“Hyesoo, just rest for a while.” It was Jimin. “I know you’re worried for him, but we’re worried about you too. You need to rest.”

“The patient is still unconscious.” The doctor said, “He will be in a private room now. Don’t worry, miss. You can see him tomorrow, but you need to sleep.”

“No, no.” I grumbled as I tried to loosen Jimin’s grip on my hand. “I want to see him, please.”

Tears were already falling from my eyes. I wasn’t exactly myself, I was acting crazy, dying from eagerness to see Jungkook. Was this all my fault? Why did this exactly happen? I know the answer, but I simply can’t think straight right now.

The next thing I knew, there was an ant bite-like pain on my shoulder and within seconds, my mind swirled, I watched all my friends look at me with utmost worry as my sight blackens.

---

I know, that from the moment I wake up on my third day in the hospital, things between me and Jungkook will be so hard to settle. With the want to be with Jungkook, is the required disappearance of me in his life. I don’t know if it’s because of the medicines I took, but my mind felt disoriented, asking myself why does this place looked new to me, despite me staying here for three days already.

I still haven’t seen Jungkook. Everyone kept on telling me he’s well, but I am still not allowed to see him. Just, what kind of bull is that?

“I’m sorry for what happened.”

I slowly opened my eyes and looked to my right side to see Jungkook’s father sitting on a chair beside my bed. I looked around, seeing myself in a room, looking to my left, and to the side behind Jungkook’s father, I hoped that Jungkook and I shared one room—but we didn’t. I was scared to death to see his father in my room, because I know what was bound to happen.

“But I will still stand to my decision, Miss Hyesoo.” He continued. “I know this is the time that the two of you shouldn’t be separated, but as father, I know this is the right thing to do.”

“Will you always blame me for things that I didn’t even foresee to happen?” I asked in a polite, and a very pitiful manner. I am now, in my weakest points in life, and I looked to helpless. “I love your son so much, that I’d take that bullet for him.”

“But he did.” He told me. “He did all those things for you, and the best thing for you to do for him is to leave him alone and be well as he is. Let him live the life that he does before he met you.”

What was his life before he met me? Dark, unpredictable, and very horrifying. Jungkook was never happy before, and when I entered his life, it was as colorful as ever. I know, because mine went colorful too. Nothing was dull when I’m with him. I know, we’d fight, we’d bicker, we’d cry, but those are just a part of life. There will always be the best moments: the exchange of smiles, of stares, of kisses, of hugs, of all things sweet and caring. Jungkook and I went through that phase, and I know we can do this together now, fight, because we learned our lesson of being honest and loyal with each other.

But why can’t I say anything to him? Why can’t I fight with his father about loving him even if it will cost me my life?

“Remember that Jungkook’s life was almost put at stake because of you, remember that his family’s life was put at stake because of your family.”

I know I lost this game his father has set, I know I lost Jungkook.

“I’m not doing this for you to hate me, or for you to be not well with Jungkook.” He stood up, “Before, I would like you to be my daughter too, because of how Jungkook has become. But with what your father did, I don’t think I’d be able to take you as my daughter. Not now, at least.”

“But I am not my father.” I said, sitting up to look at him. “I did not do what my father did to deserve this, sir.”

“I know.” He said. “But to simply put it, I don’t like anything to do with you, and your family. I hope I finally made myself clear.”

Then he left.

Why do I have to get the cruelest gift of life?

---

It w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter