Unfair

Philophobia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Chapter Three:

“I’ll be leaving, mate.” Park Mino told Jungkook as they made a bro-fist. He then turned to me and smiled, “Welcome to SUA, Hyesoo-shi. Enjoy your first day!”

I really bet I’d enjoy my first if I were to be alone. Yes, I’m definitely thrilled to see Jungkook here with me but I’m sure about the awkwardness between the two of us. Besides, I am not to make it look like I’m enchanted to see him after all these years. Truthfully, my heart shouldn’t be all smiles, as what In Hye and Eun Mi have always told me when we’d talk over the phone (not like they know I am), but they just want to make sure I am not going to let things pass. Well, I think I did.

When Mino left. I glanced at Jungkook and saw that he was looking at me all this time. I turned to him and asked, without giving him a smile or any emotion, “Do you have my schedule? I don’t understand why they would not give it to me right away.”

“I think it’s because international students needs to be guided first. For you to be obedient, they decided not to so you will cooperate with your buddy.” He told me.

“But I am not an international student.” I answered him.

“You’re still enrolled here as an international student. Because your record states that you are from another country and will be attending this university under the student exchange program.” He explained.

“Whatever.” Jungkook talks too much. “I’m going to be late in my first class, give me my schedule.”

He only chuckled as he leaned a bit closer to me. “You’re still stubborn.”

I scoffed. “Jungkook, will you please quit it? I would love to have a peaceful semester. Don’t ruin it any further.”

“Do you want me to leave? Do you want me to leave you alone?”

That is where he is good at. He is so good at making you feel bad for slightly making him feel bad. I mean, I know I did wrong, but doesn’t he deserve it? Agh, I don’t know. “Just… give me my schedule and you’re free. I mean, having you to take care of me may seem to be a lot of burden, especially you’re now in college. So just… you know I can take care of myself around. This is Korea.”

“Since when were you a burden to me?” Jungkook said in a rather irritated voice.

“Since you said you had to fix your problems your own and without me?” the words already slipped my mouth before I could even stop myself. I didn’t really mean to speak my heart to him, not that I would want to tell him what I feel. It just have to come out because that was what happened.

With the immense silence spreading around us, I stood across Jungkook in front of the Music and Arts Building as he looked at me sternly. I felt like crying- Jungkook has never gave me that look for the last three years and I am scared of what he was abound to say next. I suddenly grew afraid of a lot of things.

“Hyesoo-”

“-Pretend you didn’t hear me. I’m sorry.” I said, without looking at him, I extended my right arm towards him facing my palms above. “Just give me my schedule.”

“I don’t have it with me yet.” He said.

“Seriously?” I turned to him. “Why don’t you have it?”

“You’ll be getting it tomorrow.” He said. “Ah, you didn’t attend the college orientation, did you?”

I shook my head.

“Then how can you tell me that you make it here without me?” he raised an eyebrow, but then showed me his soft look. “You were never a burden, I hope you know that.”

“I didn’t mean it, really.”

“I’m sorry.” He spoke.

Not being able to bear more of what was going to happen next, I smiled at him, even if it looked so fake, and asked. “Where are you taking me now?”

“Can we talk first?”

“This university is so huge!” I laughed nervously as I spin myself round.

“Soo.”

“Jungkook-shi, you should tour me around now. Time is running.” I smiled at him, still nervously.

“Are you going to keep yourself avoiding talking to me about-”

“-Jungkook… I might get lost.” As gross as it looked, I unconsciously looked at him with the cutest eyes I could. It’s disgusting, I know. But Jungkook seem to fall for it. He was looking at me in awe and in disbelief. In the end, he could only sigh as he led the way. I might have looked so stupid acting cute, but at least this had made him know that I won’t get into that topic just yet.

---

“Jungkook…”

This was supposed to be my twentieth attempt today to ask about my schedule. But with Jungkook looking at me with an irritated look, I preferred to keep my mouth shut. “Nothing, go on. Tell me more about this place.”

Jungkook could only shake his head as he continued to explain the things and the places that we’ve been passing by, stopping by and staring at. This was not what I expected to happen when we first agreed to go to this place together to check. We were supposed to make it look like we are so excited about our university with our hands intertwined and all. But here we are, a few feet away from each other, afraid to make any physical contact.

Our last stop was the cafeteria. Good timing, I’m starving.

“Don’t you have classes?” I suddenly asked as we entered the cafeteria that was not so packed even at lunch time. “Woah, I didn’t expect this place to be this… empty.”

“I do have classes.” Jungkook said as we head towards the food counter. He took one tray for me and for him. “This place is packed every breakfast and dinner.”

“Wait, we’re going to eat?” I tried to avoid touching the tray he was passing on me. He only raised an eyebrow that seems to ask me, ‘Aren’t you hungry?’ So I took the tray in defeat. I looked at the row of food and they look nice and delectable for someone who is very hungry like me. We passed and took our food at the counter without talking at each other until I saw Jungkook taking out bills from his wallet and spoke “for 2”. I was about to protest but he coolly looked at me as if paying for my lunch was nothing, “Food’s on me.” He said.

It’s not like I have any choice. I followed him and sat at a table found at the corner most of the cafeteria. Jungkook sat in front of me, handing me a pair of chopsticks, a spoon and a fork. I thanked him and we started eating. It was as awkward as ever, and what makes it even more awkward is that my mind has repeatedly reminded of how we used to eat. A meal full of laughter and conversations, a meal full of smiles and giggles, a meal full of love and everything- many things have truly changed between us.

I only sighed as I started to eat my lunch. Halfway on my food, I sipped on my soda and suddenly felt my phone vibrating. I took it out of my pocket and saw that Jimin was calling me. “Hello?” I answered immediately.

“How’s your first day?” he asked with an evident smile on his face. I can feel it, he has been smiling and that made me somehow smile too.

“Fine as you, sir.” I joked.

“Wow, where’d you get that huh?” Jimin teased. “Swiss girl learned to joke eh?”

“Shut up, Jimin. I’m not a Swiss girl.” I rolled my eyes, accidentally stopping at Jungkook. He was looking at me with his usual cold look since this morning. “So, what’s up?” I asked him as I looked away from the man in front of me.

“Well, I’m on my way to have lunch with Taehyung.” He answered me, suddenly hearing Taehyung shouting. “Then, I remembered you, and the time.”

“What‘s with me and the time?” I laughed. “And are you driving?”

“I’m driving, yes. But you’re on speaker.” He told me, “It’s lunch time and I wonder if you’re eating alone, or not eating at all.”

“I am eating- and not alone.” I proudly announced, totally forgetting that Jungkook is eating in front of me, hearing very well.

“Oh, so who’s the lucky person?” Jimin asked.

“Jungkook.” I answered in a very low voice hoping that he wouldn’t be able to hear it. But it was too late- all I heard next was Taehyung saying ‘Aww, man. Jungkook-1; Jimin-none at all.’ “Jimin? Still there?”

“Ah, yes.” He answered, laughing nervously. “Is Jungkook your classmate or…?”

“Just assigned as my buddy, because they said I’m an international student. Don’t I look Korean?” I sulked.

“Hyesoo, your short, fawn hair tells them you’re not.” Taehyung laughed. “I’m kidding. Your hair just looked so nice, I can imagine my Eun Mi having that- I might die of happiness.”

“You’re so gross, Taehyung!” I rolled my eyes. “Anyways, I should finish my food now. Eat well, you two. Okay?”

“Okay!” Taehyung chirped. “I’ll call you later.” Jimin said before he finally said good bye. I kept my phone back in my pocket and continued to eat my food. By this time, Jungkook is done eating and has been watching me while his arms are crossed. He got his back leaned on the chair, when I looked at him, I almost thought he was glowing out of coolness, is that even possible?

But then, the giddiest things will always not last between us. “Why does it look like you and Jimin got cl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter